Barnes & Noble

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Barnes & Noble is a great place to work

Bookseller (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsAbility to get more hours if you want more. Working in a bookstore is a wonderful experience and the customers at most stores tend not to be as demanding and annoying as customers are at other retail stores.

ConsI have worked in two Barnes & Nobles and they vary greatly in terms of management style. One was more laid back and had been around longer, and had a more streamlined system to get everything done. The other is more chaotic and not organized.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to lower management and ideas from employees more. They are the people who know how the individual stores work better.

Great people, not so great pay

Head Cashier (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsBarnes & Noble, at least at my store, has a knack for hiring great people. I've never had a job before where I genuinely liked everyone I worked with, managers included. The benefits are decent (though not as good as they used to be). Goals and expectations are clearly defined, and management will go out of their way to give you everything you need to be successful

ConsDon't expect to be talking about and perusing fine literature all day long. This is a retail job, and sales are what matter. Also, while there technically is upward mobility in the company, B&N tends to always use outside hires for management positions rather than promoting from within. If you are promoted to a management position, expect to wait YEARS before one is offered to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI LOVE my store mangers. My advice is to the corporate office: foster a work environment that invests in your employees' total well-being. Stop slashing health coverage and trying to weed out long-time booksellers only to have them replaced with low-paid part-timers. Allow for more upward mobility. Also, whip BN.com into shape. Those screw-ups have been making my life at the store difficult since day one.

For a number of years this was a great company to work for until the digital strategy .

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsLong term employees that have a great knowledge of the business. The company attracts people to work for them that actually love what they sell. For a number of years this was the dream retail management job.

ConsThis company no longer has a vision or direction for what it wants to be. massive payroll cuts over the last three years making it impossible to execute even the basic of tasks while servicing the customers. Expect extremely long hours as a store manager as that position is the only salaried position left in the buildings. This company used to believe in a work life balance and upheld a strong culture of caring for its employees at all levels. These days it appears that they would like nothing more than to eliminate full time and long term associates in order to save money.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Minimal Pay, Minimal Hours, Minimal Respect

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Pros35% discount on purchases, flexible hours, there are some fun co-workers

ConsManagement borders on tyrannical about theft but only internal theft leaving customers to take what they will, the pay is atrocious, different rules for different associates, bad HR response

The only job in retail I enjoyed

Buford, GA

ProsGreat work environment, great management, great co-workers

ConsDifficulties obtaining a raise as a seasonal part time employee

Tend to discriminate against older employees

Atlanta, GA

ProsMost of the supervisors and managers I experienced were good, caring people, with one notable exception. The first manager I worked for there was abusive, but he only lasted about two years before leaving the company. Employees who were laid off were given severance packages.

ConsDon't want to hire full time employees. Laid off employees over forty. Favored employees who were former Barnes & Noble, Inc. employees over those working for bookstores they took over.

Great introduction to the work force.

Buford, GA

ProsIt was honestly a great place for a first job. Simple work, good interaction between coworkers, and a decent salary. The store managers were very helpful and very friendly towards the staff and rarely, if ever, had to pull rank. The cafe discount greatly helped with meals while working and you were never bored out on the book floor.

ConsThe music section in most B&Ns is a no man's land. Long tedious hours really only seeing a couple customers a night and often being forgotten by not only customers but coworkers. The only person that enjoyed working that area was the music manager who is already a bit of a loner, anyone else was bored and most saw it as a punishment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to hire general managers that inspire the workers instead of one that won't look them in the eye. Try to have the managers do a regular rotation of workers in more secluded areas. As I said, music is usually a dead zone in most stores and with the employee unable to leave the section and interact with customers and coworkers, they will get bored and begin to use their time less efficiently. Have a regular schedule rotation having everyone work the sections regularly, this helps with cross training and creates more efficient and happier workers.

They care about their employees

Book Seller (Current Employee)
    Morrow, GA

Prosemployee relationships, communication, they listen to employee complaints

ConsThe managers have a tendency to delegate jobs that they shouldn't.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore management needs to check the various sections more often to make sure that they are to ISO standards.

Great for a job, not some much for a career

Bookseller (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

Pros- The environment is laid back
    - Management is pretty understanding when it comes to scheduling
    - Everyone gets along and there is little drama between coworkers
    - The job itself is pretty easy, and you get a good combination of mental and physical stimulation
    - Most of the managers are genuinely interested in the employee's well being
    - Employees are intelligent and competent

Cons- Beyond a lead or head cashier position, there is a little room for advancement within company
    - Scheduling can be inconsistent at times due to sales determining how many hours are given out
    - There is no reward for being a hard working employee and no punishment for being a lazy employee
    - As a whole the company is becoming more sales driven, and less understanding of the employee
    - The company's recent obsession with the nook has caused closing to become less efficient, and has made customers who are against the ereader concept to feel isolated
    - There is not enough communication on a one to one level about how you are doing your job
    - The pay is stagnant and nowhere near enough to live on

Advice to Senior ManagementThe focus of the company needs to be on customer service, not nook. Nook will unfortunately be the ultimate downfall of the company. Also, rechange the member program. The fee should not be $25, that is absurd. Lower the fee to $15 or so dollars. The member program also should not have to have a credit card number. That has been such a turn off for many potential cardholders.

B&N College Bookstores

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThe college bookstore side has competitive salaries and a lot of opportunity for growth. There are also a lot of different departments to become involved in and college campuses are a fun place to work.

ConsThe hours can be very long when you're salaried. Payroll constraints also put a lot of burden on the management staff, but a lot of companies are experiencing payroll cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am neutral on the B&N management and their leadership. I am anxious to see if the sale of the company happens and how that plays out.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble reviews and ratings in Atlanta, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Noble CEO Michael Huseby. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees.