Barnes & Noble Reviews

Michael Huseby

1. Great people

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-fun, diverse group of employees
    -excellent products / great brand to be a part of
    -genuine work culture

Cons

-minimum wage
    -poor perks
    -at times, too laid back

2. Cafe Employee

Former Employee - Cafe Server in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Cafe Server in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

I worked as a cafe server for a period of several months. It was an okay experience.

Cons

Demanding customers, not appropriately staffed during peak times

Have more than one employee working during peak hours

3. I would of loved it

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than a year)

Pros

fun place to work
    nice people
    great perks
    nice atmosphere
    I really liked my job although I only worked there for 3 days. I just got done with high school and this was my "first" job. By the time I got hired on I just started college and didn't have a car. So, the hiring manager told me it would be best if I find a way to work and when I do I can get my job back. Needless to say I am still unemployed, with a car. Other than that I felt really comfortable there. I wished that I had my job back.

Cons

I didn't spend enough time over there to get the negatives. People working there have been there for at least 3 years.

5. It's okay for seasonal or part-time work.

Former Employee - Bookseller in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Norcross, GA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employee discount and book borrowing program are really good. The location I worked at was also very involved in the community, which was nice to see. Management was mostly supportive, with the exception of one person, so statistically that's pretty good! Shrinkage is low and training for new employees was also done very well. Diverse group of employees, I enjoyed my co-workers. Management was good to me. Paycheck scan be cashed at the register!

Cons

Minimum wage is a challenge wherever you work! Constantly having to put books and magazines back where they belong is a pain in the backside!! And of course, it IS retail! I did not like having to pimp the membership program at $25 a pop.

I know the attitude is "The Customer is always right", however, don't tell lies to customers about employees just to make the customer happy. Especially when the employee can HEAR YOU. Also, Management that drinks on the job should be offered an EAP program or fired. This is a liability, plus, we CAN smell it! And if I can smell it, then so can customers.

Barnes & Noble is a great place to work

Current Employee - Bookseller in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to get more hours if you want more. Working in a bookstore is a wonderful experience and the customers at most stores tend not to be as demanding and annoying as customers are at other retail stores.

Cons

I have worked in two Barnes & Nobles and they vary greatly in terms of management style. One was more laid back and had been around longer, and had a more streamlined system to get everything done. The other is more chaotic and not organized.

Listen to lower management and ideas from employees more. They are the people who know how the individual stores work better.

7. Great people, not so great pay

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Barnes & Noble, at least at my store, has a knack for hiring great people. I've never had a job before where I genuinely liked everyone I worked with, managers included. The benefits are decent (though not as good as they used to be). Goals and expectations are clearly defined, and management will go out of their way to give you everything you need to be successful

Cons

Don't expect to be talking about and perusing fine literature all day long. This is a retail job, and sales are what matter. Also, while there technically is upward mobility in the company, B&N tends to always use outside hires for management positions rather than promoting from within. If you are promoted to a management position, expect to wait YEARS before one is offered to you.

I LOVE my store mangers. My advice is to the corporate office: foster a work environment that invests in your employees' total well-being. Stop slashing health coverage and trying to weed out long-time booksellers only to have them replaced with low-paid part-timers. Allow for more upward mobility. Also, whip BN.com into shape. Those screw-ups have been making my life at the store difficult since day one.

8. For a number of years this was a great company to work for until the digital strategy .

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Long term employees that have a great knowledge of the business. The company attracts people to work for them that actually love what they sell. For a number of years this was the dream retail management job.

Cons

This company no longer has a vision or direction for what it wants to be. massive payroll cuts over the last three years making it impossible to execute even the basic of tasks while servicing the customers. Expect extremely long hours as a store manager as that position is the only salaried position left in the buildings. This company used to believe in a work life balance and upheld a strong culture of caring for its employees at all levels. These days it appears that they would like nothing more than to eliminate full time and long term associates in order to save money.

Minimal Pay, Minimal Hours, Minimal Respect

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than a year)

Pros

35% discount on purchases, flexible hours, there are some fun co-workers

Cons

Management borders on tyrannical about theft but only internal theft leaving customers to take what they will, the pay is atrocious, different rules for different associates, bad HR response

10. The only job in retail I enjoyed

Former Employee - Bookseller in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Buford, GA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, great management, great co-workers

Cons

Difficulties obtaining a raise as a seasonal part time employee

11. Tend to discriminate against older employees

Former Employee - Bookseller in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the supervisors and managers I experienced were good, caring people, with one notable exception. The first manager I worked for there was abusive, but he only lasted about two years before leaving the company. Employees who were laid off were given severance packages.

Cons

Don't want to hire full time employees. Laid off employees over forty. Favored employees who were former Barnes & Noble, Inc. employees over those working for bookstores they took over.