Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

Barnes & Noble College Bookstores Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Barnes & Noble College Bookstores President and COO Max J. Roberts

Max J. Roberts

Pros
  • You get a bit of a discount on books, sometimes big wigs come in and buy everyone lunch(in 8 reviews)

• Good employee discount on textbooks and school supplies(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • only minimum wage for a great amount of work(in 10 reviews)

• Very large divide between the millionaires in upper management and everyone else(in 8 reviews)

A great job for just starting out!

Head Cashier (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsThis was a great first job they were very family like and helped train me well. I was not happy to leave.

ConsThe challenges of working here are that you have to start out as a Seasonal and work your way up to a Temporary and they only hire you as part time if they need someone.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to pay more attention to the store managers and how they interact with their employees especially when the employee is helping customer the manager should not interrupt and demand the employee do something else.

Customer Service

Customer Service (Current Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsVery flexible. Worked around school and other jobs. Job is pretty easy, answering phones and general questions. Can't complain too much.

ConsCan get boring sometimes, especially when school is out or on vacation. Mangers are either great to work with and easy going or the worst thing in the world and only care about profits. 50-50

Advice to Senior ManagementSent a couple emails to HR and nothing got done or even a response. Need to work on that.

Great seasonal job

Tax Preparer (Current Employee)

ProsExtensive high-quality free training.
    Flexible hours.
    Emphasis on quality.

ConsVery few people are able to work except during tax season.
    It takes about five years to get established and achieve good pay rate.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nothing to brag about

Bookseller (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsIn store discount, & very flexible hours

ConsSlow & not very transparent

Great place to work as a student. Very considerate of class obligations.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood employee discount on textbooks and school supplies. Management was great; supportive of students and genuinely enjoyed working with college students.

ConsLimitation of hours but not all BNC bookstore are open 7 days a week and have reduced Saturday hours so... That's life.

They have great customer service

Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

Proslove the customer there always friendly, and there always happy with the company services.

Conswork is work ,am happy with what I do .

Advice to Senior Managementthey are doing a good job...................

Great management

Bookseller (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsManagement is great. Great opportunity to meet new people

ConsNo place to grow as an individual. Not many hours are offered after the rush period and that is at the beginning and the end of the semester.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to rotate hours so a lot of students get a chance to gain experience and earn some pocket money .

Stable, Predictable Job, Antiquated Systems

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI started working for B&N in college as a bookseller/cashier, then moved on to being a supervisor and finally assistant manager, all at the same store. I met the majority of my best friends through this job and it was a great way to interact with your fellow students and get a discount on things you need. The starting pay for a bookseller is on par with campus employment pay, but it's easier to get more hours at the bookstore.

If you move on to full time positions, they offer you health, dental, and vision as well as a 401k with a 4% match. Our store manager and regional manager are very down to earth and great to work with, too. The scheduling is flexible with the exception of the "rush" periods.

ConsWe upgraded from 20+ year old DOS registers to buggy Windows-based touch screen registers only a few years ago and still use AS400 for textbook and inventory management. The back-end web systems only work on old versions of Internet Explorer. This is not a tech company, as witnessed by the B&N retail stores' mishaps with the Nook devices (most of the college stores have completely dropped them at this point). The company just seems too big to able to move fast enough with changes in technology that is pertinent to their customer base.

Only store managers are salaried; assistant managers on down to booksellers are paid hourly. This can be good when you have to put in more hours during the busy "rush" periods, but hurts your bottom line during slow periods, and it's usually pretty slow. The pay also is not very generous for the amount of responsibility and systems knowledge the job entails (as an assistant manager, at least). After taxes and benefits are deducted from my pay, my living expenses (in the Boston area) take over half of my actual "take home" pay. As result, I work two jobs and I end up using all of my personal time off for weekdays I have a responsibility for the other job. On a related note, you only get ten days of vacation time for the whole year (not including paid holidays off) until you get higher levels of seniority, where you get five to ten days more.

It's depressing to put in all of the work it takes to setup a textbook department only to have all of the students scoff at the prices and buy them on Amazon or from another student. It's also depressing to send hundreds of emails to faculty to acquire textbook orders only to have a fourth of them (on a good day) actually respond. Even more depressing is how much theft there is that we have to track down, though our store is a street level retail location and not inside a campus building so it's unusual in the college world. Book sales have been steadily declining for years and the clothing/merchandise is what keeps the company afloat.

I currently am looking for another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's hard give give advice that will have a good long term positive effect. Americans read less than they used to and there is too much competition from online-only retailers with less operational expense. It would take a major restructuring and some brave investors to make the company as a whole succeed over the coming years, in my opinion.

The Life of a Bookseller/Cashier

Bookseller (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsClose to campus housing
    Friendly Employers
    Management is not too bad
    Time-off
    Discounts on books, clothing, and cafe :)

ConsHourly Pay
    Some of the inner-city customers!

Love this company

ProsGreat work/life balance, great people, challenging and ever-changing environment

ConsMust be patient to get the dream store for you - best location, volume, position, etc

Worked for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores? Contribute to the Community!