Barnes & Noble College Bookstores Reviews

Reset
3.4
Barnes & Noble College Bookstores President and COO Max J. Roberts
Max J. Roberts

Pros
  • Student workers loved having 20% discount on textbooks and apparel (in 8 reviews)

• Discount on books and cool checkout policy on hardback books (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no way to earn above minimum wage even if you have been working 5 (in 14 reviews)

• Don't look for any growth potential in this part of B&N (in 9 reviews)

1. Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is grown quickly and I was able to get in on the ground floor with the transition to "Barnes & Noble Education." Upper management is GREAT, and very easy to communicate with on a consistent basis. Job is fairly easy in my position. You get to meet some great people coming in and out of the bookstore on a daily basis, as well as communicate with students, campus staff/faculty and even a bit of community outreach.

Cons

Store management seems to be a mess in the store I'm in. Miscommunication between store manager and other employees, dumping their work on to you without a second thought to all the tasks you already have on your plate to complete, it just comes off as lazy on their part.

Advice to Management

Hire more better suited candidates for store management positions. I honestly really like this job thus far, but I'm concerned that if the current situation keeps up, I will be driven away by someone who doesn't truly reflect the company and its beliefs/objectives.

2. Great place to work!

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time

Pros

Friendly staff and management team; fast-paced environment; flexible work hours; raises available periodically

Cons

Some customers are rude, but that's not the establishments fault.

3. Book Seller

Current Employee - Book Seller in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Book Seller in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work with. Got my paychecks on time, my manager was very nice and accommodating to my school schedule

Cons

Not really any room to work your way up.

5. Student Bookseller

Former Employee - Student Bookseller in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Student Bookseller in Washington, DC

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management, good student job, flexible schedule, and good discount on textbooks

Cons

busiest times conflict with busiest times of school

6. Good for short term

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time

Pros

-Amazing staff -fun work environment -Everything is changing and always new

Cons

-Not the best customers, angry parents and anxious freshmen

7. Temporary Employment

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

Pros

Consistent breaks, amazing bosses, friendly environment. Small store, so everything feels safe, nothing bad can happen without at least one person bearing witness. Cozy.

Cons

None really. The normal annoyances from jerk customers, but no problems you wouldn't have from any job.

8. Okay job.

Current Employee - Bookseller in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time

Pros

Discount on store merchandise (clothes, textbooks, snacks, electronics, etc) , flexible hours, working on same campus as classes

Cons

When it gets really busy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job.

9. cafe manager

Former Employee - Cafe Manager in Saginaw, TX
    Former Employee - Cafe Manager in Saginaw, TX

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (More than 3 years)

Pros

Barnes & Noble has a fantastic atmosphere and great hours (40 hour work week!). The 30% discount on books is great too.

Cons

The management pay is not great, but it is a 40 hour work week as opposed to most management jobs working 50 and up so it balances out.

Advice to Management

The advice I would suggest is to hold employees accountable for their choices. For example, giving more chances to someone who calls in or is late 3 out of 5 shifts a week is not fair to the rest of the staff.

10. Part Time Employee Outlook

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Cranberry Township, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Cranberry Township, PA

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Management tends to be very helpful and professional -Room for growth -Customer base is usually friendly

Cons

-Pay isn't great, books are going out of style slowly -Shipping times can make some customers anxious

11. General Merchandise Supervisor

Current Employee - General Merchandising Supervisor
    Current Employee - General Merchandising Supervisor

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Convenient location, Discounted textbooks, food, and merchandise, Fun coworkers, Flexible hours to go around my class schedule. Feel like you're part of the campus community.

Cons

Management at my store is a mess. It's highly stressful, especially around the rush seasons when we have a high volume of students, professors, and parents coming in. Parents of college students are usually rude and pushy, tending to complain a lot. Lack of proper training, we tend to just push new booksellers out into the floor with no experience to fend for themselves. Very little chances for a higher pay. A lot is expected out of you but you're given very few resources to make it happen. If someone on the management staff quits, you may be unfortunate enough to have to juggle their old job and yours. A very stressful and highly unorganized store to work for management wise. Managers will openly trash talk employees.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive to your team members and stay organized and on top of things. Hire more supervisors to help out. Give us a reason to work hard.

RSS Feed </> Embed