Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

Updated September 14, 2014
3.2

Barnes & Noble College Bookstores President and COO Max J. Roberts
Max J. Roberts

Pros
  • You get a bit of a discount on books, sometimes big wigs come in and buy everyone lunch (in 8 reviews)

• Good employee discount on textbooks and school supplies (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • only minimum wage for a great amount of work (in 10 reviews)

• Very large divide between the millionaires in upper management and everyone else (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great discounts, flexible hours, overall good job.

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time

Pros

Discounts are great, hours and flexible and manager will work with you. Good coworkers, everybody knows how to do anything, and they are always willing to share what they know.

Cons

Pay sucks, but thats minimum wage. though it does say that the only reason they dont pay you less is because they are not allowed to.

Great Company, Management Varies Greatly

Former Employee - Bookseller
    Former Employee - Bookseller

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Bestseller Management Training Program was great. I was able to learn most every aspect of the store, improved customer service skills, and worked on several projects with managers.

Cons

Some management tends to favor some employees over others. Pay was not great. Only received one $0.25 raise during my nearly three years and that's with great reviews.

Look more at someone's work ethic, customer service and punctuality instead of whether or not you believe an individual is "weird".

Great Place to Work!

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great leadership and a clear direction for the future. Culture revolves clearly around the needs of the stores and their customers and clients. A great place to start your career and stay for the long term.

Cons

Systems and equipment are being updated, but it's difficult to have information on a timely basis. Lots of growth also means a lot of work which is being layered on - if you are a hard worker, you will do just fine.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Group of people to work with.

Current Employee - Bookseller
    Current Employee - Bookseller

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I work with are so great and easy to get along with, my manager is great at working around my class schedule while I am finishing my associate degree, and when we need to work overtime to get something done at work they allow us to.

Cons

I have been trying to get payed time off and holiday pay for the past year. HR and my manager keep giving me the run around saying that even though I work over an average of 20 hours a week I don't qualify because I am rated as a 15+ hourly employee. It is frustrating that I have asked them many times to change it to reflect my actual hours and they refuse. The higher ups in the company also continually keep sending us product that won't sell at our store and never take into consideration for demographics or location.

Depends on the Manager

Former Employee - Bookseller  in  Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Columbia, SC

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get discounted textbooks and coffee for those long nights. Really awesome coworkers (not including management)

Cons

management has tendency to be rude, power hungry and enjoy humiliated their employees. The pay is awful and the hours are horrid.

Don't be so mean to your workers and gossiping isn't very professional.

Great first job, but not much room for growth.

Former Employee - Textbook Manager  in  Moraga, CA
    Former Employee - Textbook Manager in Moraga, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone was around the same age at the store, very casual workplace environment. Student workers loved having 20% discount on textbooks and apparel.

Cons

Busy season is hell, there needs to be more temp staff brought on to deal with the insane amount of work during buyback season.

Update outdated computers inventory system. Consider more in depth interview with future employees.

Experience at Barnes and Noble @ Georgia Tech

Former Employee - Technology Store Sales Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Technology Store Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Most managers actually care about the employees.
    The discounted Starbucks was a huge perk and I legitimately miss having that.

Cons

My first day of training, the manager put me downstair in front of a register by myself. No working walkie-talkies. I had never used the system before.
    There were a few managers that were just nasty people. One manager would talk bad about employees behind their back, but never confront the employees themselves.
    Dangerous place to work. There are always robberies - especially with gangs.
    Terrible pay.

Actually train your employees. Frankly, it's dangerous.
    Increase pay. Most days, I would say we deserved double the pay for what we did.
    Store managers need to have a stricter code to go by in terms of how they communicate with employees.

A great job for just starting out!

Former Employee - Head Cashier  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time for more than a year

Pros

This was a great first job they were very family like and helped train me well. I was not happy to leave.

Cons

The challenges of working here are that you have to start out as a Seasonal and work your way up to a Temporary and they only hire you as part time if they need someone.

Need to pay more attention to the store managers and how they interact with their employees especially when the employee is helping customer the manager should not interrupt and demand the employee do something else.

Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible. Worked around school and other jobs. Job is pretty easy, answering phones and general questions. Can't complain too much.

Cons

Can get boring sometimes, especially when school is out or on vacation. Mangers are either great to work with and easy going or the worst thing in the world and only care about profits. 50-50

Sent a couple emails to HR and nothing got done or even a response. Need to work on that.

Coworkers are awesome

Former Employee - Bookseller  in  Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed the staff, they are honestly the best part of the job. Some of my best friends ended up being my coworkers, maybe that is just because we spent so many hours working together.

Cons

You are heavily overworked for you time there. There is no way to earn above minimum wage even if you have been working 5+ years.

Barnes & Noble College Bookstores Photos

Johns Hopkins University
Books on Shelves

+ Add Photo

Worked for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores? Contribute to the Community!