Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

Updated January 28, 2015
3.3

Barnes & Noble College Bookstores President and COO Max J. Roberts
Max J. Roberts

Pros
  • Student workers loved having 20% discount on textbooks and apparel (in 8 reviews)

• You get a bit of a discount on books, sometimes big wigs come in and buy everyone lunch (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no way to earn above minimum wage even if you have been working 5 (in 14 reviews)

• Don't look for any growth potential in this part of B&N (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great management

Current Employee - Bookseller in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is great. Great opportunity to meet new people

Cons

No place to grow as an individual. Not many hours are offered after the rush period and that is at the beginning and the end of the semester.

Try to rotate hours so a lot of students get a chance to gain experience and earn some pocket money .

Great place to work as a student. Very considerate of class obligations.

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

Pros

Good employee discount on textbooks and school supplies. Management was great; supportive of students and genuinely enjoyed working with college students.

Cons

Limitation of hours but not all BNC bookstore are open 7 days a week and have reduced Saturday hours so... That's life.

Nothing to brag about

Current Employee - Bookseller in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

In store discount, & very flexible hours

Cons

Slow & not very transparent

They have great customer service

Current Employee - Barista/Cashier in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Barista/Cashier in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

love the customer there always friendly, and there always happy with the company services.

Cons

work is work ,am happy with what I do .

they are doing a good job...................

Love this company

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

Pros

Great work/life balance, great people, challenging and ever-changing environment

Cons

Must be patient to get the dream store for you - best location, volume, position, etc

Stable, Predictable Job, Antiquated Systems

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores full-time

Pros

I started working for B&N in college as a bookseller/cashier, then moved on to being a supervisor and finally assistant manager, all at the same store. I met the majority of my best friends through this job and it was a great way to interact with your fellow students and get a discount on things you need. The starting pay for a bookseller is on par with campus employment pay, but it's easier to get more hours at the bookstore.

If you move on to full time positions, they offer you health, dental, and vision as well as a 401k with a 4% match. Our store manager and regional manager are very down to earth and great to work with, too. The scheduling is flexible with the exception of the "rush" periods.

Cons

We upgraded from 20+ year old DOS registers to buggy Windows-based touch screen registers only a few years ago and still use AS400 for textbook and inventory management. The back-end web systems only work on old versions of Internet Explorer. This is not a tech company, as witnessed by the B&N retail stores' mishaps with the Nook devices (most of the college stores have completely dropped them at this point). The company just seems too big to able to move fast enough with changes in technology that is pertinent to their customer base.

Only store managers are salaried; assistant managers on down to booksellers are paid hourly. This can be good when you have to put in more hours during the busy "rush" periods, but hurts your bottom line during slow periods, and it's usually pretty slow. The pay also is not very generous for the amount of responsibility and systems knowledge the job entails (as an assistant manager, at least). After taxes and benefits are deducted from my pay, my living expenses (in the Boston area) take over half of my actual "take home" pay. As result, I work two jobs and I end up using all of my personal time off for weekdays I have a responsibility for the other job. On a related note, you only get ten days of vacation time for the whole year (not including paid holidays off) until you get higher levels of seniority, where you get five to ten days more.

It's depressing to put in all of the work it takes to setup a textbook department only to have all of the students scoff at the prices and buy them on Amazon or from another student. It's also depressing to send hundreds of emails to faculty to acquire textbook orders only to have a fourth of them (on a good day) actually respond. Even more depressing is how much theft there is that we have to track down, though our store is a street level retail location and not inside a campus building so it's unusual in the college world. Book sales have been steadily declining for years and the clothing/merchandise is what keeps the company afloat.

I currently am looking for another job.

It's hard give give advice that will have a good long term positive effect. Americans read less than they used to and there is too much competition from online-only retailers with less operational expense. It would take a major restructuring and some brave investors to make the company as a whole succeed over the coming years, in my opinion.

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the college environment and working with students and faculty

Cons

Blind management. Textbooks are a loss leader. Publishers are fimally gettimg smart and selling directly to students. Everyrhing else is vastly overpriced.

Stop saying you value your employees and start showing it. Stop taking advantage of student workers. Dump Nook already you've spent too much money on it.

The Life of a Bookseller/Cashier

Current Employee - Bookseller in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Detroit, MI

Pros

Close to campus housing
    Friendly Employers
    Management is not too bad
    Time-off
    Discounts on books, clothing, and cafe :)

Cons

Hourly Pay
    Some of the inner-city customers!

Great place to work during college

Current Employee - Bookseller in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Bookseller in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love books, and employees get 35% off, flexible schedule during school, great people

Cons

managers are unprofessional, no promotions, pay is low

Do your job!

Good for an Underclassman College Student

Current Employee - Bookseller in Garden City, NY
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Garden City, NY

Pros

usually a good environment, discount on textbooks and on merchandise, flexible schedule around class schedule, good for a college student who has class several days a week, remains on track with your semester schedule for hours, holiday pay, snow day pay, 401k benefits with matching even for part time employees

Cons

lots of micromanagement goes on, new manager came in after I was here for 3 years and overhauled the entire store, pay is really bad, employees start off as temporary part time at minimum wage and after the "RUSH" season can be moved into either becoming part time employees, seasonal, or nothing. I have been part time for 3 years here and work mostly the front (cashier/clothing/GM), but I am very familiar with the rest of the store as well. when minimum wage increases, all employees are raised to the minimum wage, but then you lose the difference you have made in raises and make the same as new employees (raises are basically .25 cents every year for part time employees) even though I have been here for a long time, once a new manager arrived it's like being new again because she doesn't know or care about you. dress code is dumb for college students no leggings or open toed shoes which should not be a huge deal if not working with textbooks during shift, hours during beginning of the semester, finals, and graduation can be stressful, especially during the beginning of the semester and finals for college students who are trying to manage school

do not talk down to staff especially as a new manager in a store with staff that has been there for years.

Barnes & Noble College Bookstores Photos