Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.3 1,002 reviews

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles(in 49 reviews)

• The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount(in 89 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited in the opportunity to grow beyond minimum wage(in 66 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so(in 48 reviews)

1,002 Employee Reviews

Barnes and Noble was the best work family I've ever had and I don't expect to find better.

Anonymous (Former Employee) Fairview Heights, IL

ProsThe management was nice and personal. The hours were very flexible. You get to work around books and book lovers all day. They allow you to work independently and you know you matter to the team.

ConsIt was always cold. I had to leave because there are not closer Chicago locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employes to rotate more.

good company

Part Time Book Seller (Current Employee) Toledo, OH

Prosnice and very helpful management

Consnot clearly defined management roles

Advice to Senior Managementgive management defined roles and makes the stick to those roles

It's okay for seasonal or part-time work.

Bookseller (Former Employee) Norcross, GA

ProsThe employee discount and book borrowing program are really good. The location I worked at was also very involved in the community, which was nice to see. Management was mostly supportive, with the exception of one person, so statistically that's pretty good! Shrinkage is low and training for new employees was also done very well. Diverse group of employees, I enjoyed my co-workers. Management was good to me. Paycheck scan be cashed at the register!

ConsMinimum wage is a challenge wherever you work! Constantly having to put books and magazines back where they belong is a pain in the backside!! And of course, it IS retail! I did not like having to pimp the membership program at $25 a pop.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know the attitude is "The Customer is always right", however, don't tell lies to customers about employees just to make the customer happy. Especially when the employee can HEAR YOU. Also, Management that drinks on the job should be offered an EAP program or fired. This is a liability, plus, we CAN smell it! And if I can smell it, then so can customers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Feeding the bulldog

Bookseller (Former Employee)

ProsDepending on store location, broad variety of customers which can be rewarding.

ConsVery little potential for advancement, low pay. It's retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't cut out more and more full time positions and training and have knowledgable salespeople. Fast service from knowledgable staff are the only benefits over purchasing online. Encouraging neither of these through over-emphasis on membership cards and faster interaction with customers will kill B&N in the long run.

Retail bookseller with identity crisis.

Logistics Compliance Auditor (Current Employee) Monroe, NJ

ProsGreat Benefits, fellow co- workers support each other extremely well.
    Interaction with other departments helps build networking skills.

ConsUsed to have a much different schedule in the department, was radically altered. The result is now a serious morale crusher. Work loads increased with no support from management. Asked for feedback and when it is given it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the feedback from employees that have the hands-on experience. Sitting in an office isolated from the environment they work in makes for process decisions that do not work. Have employees part of the new procedure structure.

Ehh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone. Minimum wage, bad hours

ConsEverthing is bad. Minimum wage, bad hours

Eh, it's retail

Bookseller (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou get to be around books all day; coworkers are usually interesting people; picking up shifts is flexible; good part time job for students.

ConsNot very fulfilling work; you can feel like an easily-replaced cog; customers can be very demanding; employees are pushed to foist the rewards card on everyone; not much potential for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease care more about the employees you oversee.

Not enough $$$/opportunity

ProsThey work with your schedule, good atmosphere, good discount

ConsNot enough pay with little chance for increase/advancement (and no benefits available outside of management).

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff retention should be more of a priority. More pay for current employees would probably be more than offset by the savings from training costs and accidental internal shrink.

It can be the best of times or the worst of times

ProsIt's a very social environment with your co-workers. Between working on projects and helping the customers, you will always be busy. Each customer experience will be different.

ConsThe balance between getting a task done and providing good customer service can be overwhelming for some. Depending on the customers attitude you will be tested. The stores tend to be treated like a library and not a retail establishment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing everyone. Trust that good workers do exist and they can get the job done. Not all stores are the same.

I love books & coffee, but the pressure to meet certain sales goals was too much for me.

Cafe Barista/Bookseller (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsI enjoyed the products we sold, it's easier to want to sell quality products.

ConsI don't like feeling the pressure to up sell, up sell, up sell! I know this is the world of retail, but I suppose that's why I'm not the biggest fan of big business.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you get to know your employees try to find the things each individual is passionate about in their position and encourage them in order to help them naturally up sell what they believe in. With a diverse enough team, all the promotions will be pushed accordingly.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!