Barnes & Noble
www.barnesandnobleinc.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Barnes & Noble Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Michael Huseby

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is a two-edged sword - - I probably spent more than I earned"
    in 74 reviews
  • "30% discount on Books (not stackable with current promotions)"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "I personally only make minimum wage, although only being a cashier I can't really expect much more"
    in 53 reviews
  • "It's impossible to run a cashwrap line or the customer service area with one person on a Saturday"
    in 41 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very corporate

Department Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles. It's also good to work with other book lovers. The employees tend to be more literate than at other retail jobs.

ConsThe pay is what you'd expect for big box retail. It's not very good and the hours are difficult. Lots of closing shifts followed by opening shifts. It can be a very wearying job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the staff more.

Good work-life balance

New York, NY

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRank and file employees in corporate HQ are smart and dedicated, they truly want to make a difference. Excellent place for a young person to gain varied experience and be promoted quickly or for older workers whose primary goals are around family and home life rather than workplace ambition.

ConsDistinct lack of overarching vision or strategy from executive management causes mass confusion - teams that should be working in concert are often at odds because they are working towards different goals. Direction changes constantly and the employee base is as confused as the marketplace about what B&N stands for. Very little room for growth past a certain level.

Good job for associates, terrible job for management

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Braintree, MA

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 8 years

ProsInteresting product, low-responsibility/high-variety job for part-time booksellers.

ConsLittle authority, high pressure for managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be what you're not.

Better than average retail

Bookseller (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice employee discounts, book loan program, clear duties and expectations

ConsMostly part-time positions except from management, tendency to have unrealistic expectations for project completion

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the online site, particularly the in-store pickup option clearly stating it is at in-store rather than online price.

I have found Barnes & Noble to be a decent place to work but not a place to find a career.

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat employees and a relaxed working environment. I enjoy coming to work just about every day!

ConsExtremely confused management. No innovation or fresh ideas. Stuck in the past and doesn't know how to value and utilize employees to the fullest.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best advice I can give is to look within your company to fill management positions! There are so many quality employees that would be better managers then the majority I have worked with. It seems they don't want to move people up even if you go above and beyond. It gets hard when you see people who have been there for 5 plus years still in the same job while so many others from outside the company have come and gone in management positions. Start listening to your employees instead of broken ideas from upper management who clearly have no idea what is really going on in their stores since they are never in them. All the fixes for Barnes & Noble are simple and right in from of them, they just don't seem to want to make those changes!

I was a Department Manager at a store that was located in a large mall.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Barnes & Noble

ProsThe people who are typically employed at the worlds largest bookstore are usually literate and interested in books and the additionally the products associated with books.

ConsAs Amazon continues to grow in popularity, the brick and mortar bookstores like Barnes & Noble have shrinking traffic and a major drop in sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that it is the bookseller on the sales floor that will keep customers spending their time and money in the stores. Please keep enough staff employed and paid well to keep the doors open.

Overall good company to work for

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time

ProsThere are amazing people to work with you at Barnes & Noble. The benefits are amazing! If you stay with the company, the vacation time is great

ConsThe tuition reimbursement barely covers anything but books for classes. In addition, they don't value their people. They make you feel like you are easily replaceable. Lastly, you will make less than the average worker does for comparable jobs.

management support

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Prosgreat work environment, and great employees

ConsLack of support from upper management. Lack of available staff and support from internal managers.

Advice to Senior Managementmore payroll needs to be spent to better support management staff and also to help customers.

No room for growth

Accounts Payable Rep (Current Employee)
Westbury, NY

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAllows flexibility for employees (leaving early, special schedules, etc.)

Employee discount.

Spacious corporate work environment.

ConsCompensation is horrible for the workload employees manage. Some managers do not deserve the positions that they have. Hires based on favoritism, not experience/qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementBN needs a swift turnover. Hire capable individuals and do away with the many incompetent.

Entry Level

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than a year

ProsI got to add Supervisor to my resume and the people were nice.

ConsIt was retail and the money wasn't anything to write home about.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Noble CEO Michael Huseby. All 897 reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees.