Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Michael Huseby

107 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent part time job, but not really for long term career

Bookseller/NOOK (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe employee discount on all merchandise (except NOOK e-readers) is 30%, you get 50% off in the Cafe and 15% off of NOOK and NOOK accessories. You'll probably like the majority of your coworkers, who are mostly educated and nice people. Your job is to be surrounded by and knowledgeable about books, so if that's your forte, it won't exactly feel like "work".

ConsDead end job with little to no room for advancement. All Lead Bookseller positions are gone except for Head Cashier, Digital Sales Lead and Children's Lead. If you don't wish to work in those departments, then you'll be in your position for the duration of your time with the company. The benefits of yore for part-timers no longer exist, except (I think) Paid Time Off after working at least 32 hours per week for 6 months+. Perhaps that's only in the store I worked at, but you're not going to get more than 24 hours per week unless it's during the holiday season.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax on the "business casual" dress code. Let employees wear jeans and sneakers, within reason.

Employees care way more about the company and it's customers than the Company cares about them.

Lead Bookseller (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsNice clean atmosphere (better than flipping burgers!), and you get discounts on purchases.
    Full-time employees get a very good Health Plan (or used to - not sure what will happen with Obamacare gumming up the works nowadays).
    They also offer a 401K through Fidelity, which I heartily recommend.

ConsThe pay sucks. Plus, they almost always side with customers who have the slightest complaint; they don't even want to hear the employee's side, the customer is always right (even though he/she is usually wrong).
    Being made a manager is not even worth it: you have to work shifts again, have a lot more responsibility, and the compensation is not worth it: only $1 (maybe at most $2) higher then the oldest employees are getting...only the Store Manager makes real money, a bonus based on the store's revenues. Which they keep upping every year by astronomical amounts, obviously trying to avoid paying bonuses unless the sale skyrocket far more than should honestly be expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some real, not phony, appreciation for the people who work for you. Most of them really like and car about what they do, but the Company chews them up ans spits them out whenever it is convenient; putting a cap on Raises (which are minute to begin with!!!) is stupid and greedy. There should be no such thing as "We can't give you more", at least for those who perform and help the company's bottom line with sales.
    And give the bonuses to ALL members of the Management team; stop treating anyone under the Store manager as a plantation slave. That would rekindle their desire to do their best, which does not happen when their contributions are practically ignored. And get some District Managers who actually give a damn about the employees and are not two-face, obvious liars.
    The Company has the power to make their employees happy and make then want to excel at their job - not because they fear termination or because they need the job, but because they want to because they LIKE the job AND the company. As things stand now, most employees are disgusted at how they are treated.

Poor Management

Bookseller (Former Employee)
    Edison, NJ

ProsFor a book lover, the benefits were great. You were able to take any hardcover book home for two weeks to read without paying for it. You received discounts not only on the book floor but in the music department as well as 50% off in the cafes. It was also a nice way to meet people who also had interest in books because most of the people who were hired loved to read and had knowledge of different genres. When I was first hired the management spent a significant amount of time training me and making sure I was comfortable on the book floor and working with customers.

ConsA con that I had while working there was that there were people in management who were content to sit in the office all day doing who knows why on the computer. If you were having a problem with a customer and they demanded on speaking to a manager they would sound annoyed when you asked for their assistance and would then take up to 10 minutes to grace us with their presence. The management also was not very good at keeping consistent schedules. Some days you would go up and see that they had the next three weeks of hours up but then other times you would be in on a Saturday and not know if you were working Sunday because the schedule was not up.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to do more for your employees. It is understandable that there are certain things you have to do as managers but I could not understand how it was possible to stay in your office all day and not help with the upkeep of the store or its customers. It does nothing for morale when the store closes at 11 on a Saturday and we were shorthanded and instead of helping throughout the day you leave the office at 10:30 and say the store looks a mess and then we are there until 12:30.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience.

Bookseller (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsCoworkers were very helpful. Was able to experience Customer Experience and Bookseller position. Willing to work around with college schedule. Good job to gain retail and customer experience.

ConsNo room for growth. Management was inconsistent.

Great Team Work

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Cranbury, NJ

ProsI loved working both at the store level and the distribution center while I was there. I wouldn't want to now. The team I were part of were supportive, communicative and very friendly. The pay and benefits WERE great too.

ConsSometimes, the upstairs office staff got treated like second class citizens BECAUSE we were in the smallest group in the building. After a few follow-up emails to HR we were pacified but not adequately.

It was a good experience. Good job for retail.

Barista; Bookseller (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFlexible schedule and good management.

ConsSome rules that did not make sense.

Good work-life balance

New York, NY

ProsRank and file employees in corporate HQ are smart and dedicated, they truly want to make a difference. Excellent place for a young person to gain varied experience and be promoted quickly or for older workers whose primary goals are around family and home life rather than workplace ambition.

ConsDistinct lack of overarching vision or strategy from executive management causes mass confusion - teams that should be working in concert are often at odds because they are working towards different goals. Direction changes constantly and the employee base is as confused as the marketplace about what B&N stands for. Very little room for growth past a certain level.

No room for growth

Accounts Payable Rep (Current Employee)
    Westbury, NY

ProsAllows flexibility for employees (leaving early, special schedules, etc.)

Employee discount.

Spacious corporate work environment.

ConsCompensation is horrible for the workload employees manage. Some managers do not deserve the positions that they have. Hires based on favoritism, not experience/qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementBN needs a swift turnover. Hire capable individuals and do away with the many incompetent.

College bookseller

Bookseller (Former Employee)
    Garden City, NY

ProsIt wa a convent job because it was on the campus it also allowed you to meet a lot of people on campus. My store manager was terrific treated everyone like family. Even though your title is a book seller be prepared to do a lot of other work which will help you at other jobs in the future.

ConsThe corporate office constantly cut payroll which cut everyone's hours

Advice to Senior ManagementTo mid level executives of the company, please remember what it was like to actually run and work in a bookstore and give everyone the proper tools to help the company grow in a struggling market overall.

Good job while you work towards something else

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat employee discount
    Other employees obviously also love books and are usually interesting people
    Most managers are really chill

ConsThe customers can be the most obnoxious people you'll ever meet.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Noble CEO Michael Huseby. All 107 reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees.