Barnes & Noble

1,117 Reviews
3.4
1,117 Reviews

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount (in 102 reviews)

• It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • While the pay is a little above minimum wage, the hours make for some very small paychecks (in 79 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so (in 57 reviews)

More Highlights

116 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to start working

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours were reasonable
    Amazing discount
    Books books books

Cons

Salary
    Promotions took quite a while

It's a job.

Former Employee - Music Seller in West Nyack, NY
    Former Employee - Music Seller in West Nyack, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent employee discount; Cool coworkers; Reasonably flexible with scheduling, depending on the manager

Cons

It became very corporate after working there for many years; Focus switched more to the nook than actual books; High turnover; Most of the managers were unpleasant in one way or another (I was in the Music Department and really lucked out with the Music Manager -- he was the chillest dude ever)

Good

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hours, culture, benefits, work-life balance

Cons

Work Pressure, training, compensation, Industry

Empathize with the employees

For a "part-time" retail position, it could have been worse. The managers were micro-managers.

Former Employee - Bookseller in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Bookseller in New York, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts.
    Interest in books, publications.
    Easily accessible location.
    Friendly staff.
    Relaxed dress code.

Cons

Barely a living wage.
    Did not improve my professional development.
    Overqualified for the position yet micro-managed.
    Store hours unreasonable, especially for holidays and weekends.
    Stringent time-off policy.

Stop micro-managing employees who are over-qualified for the position.

Started off great and progressively got worse.

Current Employee - Lead Bookseller in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Lead Bookseller in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people you work with are great. The store is beautiful and in an easy to get to location. Benefits are decent if you are full-time.

Cons

pay kind of sucks. Dental insurance is awful. Management is not on the same page and they can be hypocritical at a large portion of time. No matter how hard you work, they expect you to keep doing more. Not all the managers are like this, but some of them will be like "Customers are your first priority" but then when you're stuck with customers all day and couldn't do your projects you get in trouble, or talked to. VERY understaffed. Upper management talks about other employees.

Get all the managers on the same page about everything. Lead by example. Cross-train everyone, this will not only ensure there is always somebody to do the job, but also make employees understand each other, and each other's jobs. It will also make employees get along with each other more and make everyone more understanding when certain things don't get done.

This is not a technology company, merely ecommerce

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool building, nice location, more words more words more words more words more words more words more words more words

Cons

Upper management changed every 3 or 4 months
    nobody knew what direction the company is going
    deep divide between NY and CA

Definitely a good first job for a book lover especially.

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Edison, NJ

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The customers are great, and it's a lot of fun learning about other books from them. The feeling when a regular comes back and can't stop talking about the book you recommended is amazing. I enjoyed working with my coworkers, but the management at my location worked far less than the sales associates.

Cons

B&N hires as temporary during the holidays, so pay is really low when you start. Even though I was set to become Head Cashier and was hired for that purpose, I had to work a month at minimum wage before the pay increased. If understaffed in one section, they can move you to cafe with no pay increase and without much warning.

It was great because of the people I met, and there were good experiences for a young one with little work experience.

Former Employee - Cafe Server in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Cafe Server in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I liked the people the most, the management was flexible about my schedule, and held the position for me even when I was away at school.

Cons

The pay is very low and there aren't many benefits at all. It takes too long to really improve. No tips allowed at Cafe for some reason and no free drinks.

Retail bookseller with identity crisis.

Current Employee - Logistics Compliance Auditor in Monroe, NJ
    Current Employee - Logistics Compliance Auditor in Monroe, NJ

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, fellow co- workers support each other extremely well.
    Interaction with other departments helps build networking skills.

Cons

Used to have a much different schedule in the department, was radically altered. The result is now a serious morale crusher. Work loads increased with no support from management. Asked for feedback and when it is given it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Listen to the feedback from employees that have the hands-on experience. Sitting in an office isolated from the environment they work in makes for process decisions that do not work. Have employees part of the new procedure structure.

Employees care way more about the company and it's customers than the Company cares about them.

Former Employee - Lead Bookseller in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Bookseller in New York, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice clean atmosphere (better than flipping burgers!), and you get discounts on purchases.
    Full-time employees get a very good Health Plan (or used to - not sure what will happen with Obamacare gumming up the works nowadays).
    They also offer a 401K through Fidelity, which I heartily recommend.

Cons

The pay sucks. Plus, they almost always side with customers who have the slightest complaint; they don't even want to hear the employee's side, the customer is always right (even though he/she is usually wrong).
    Being made a manager is not even worth it: you have to work shifts again, have a lot more responsibility, and the compensation is not worth it: only $1 (maybe at most $2) higher then the oldest employees are getting...only the Store Manager makes real money, a bonus based on the store's revenues. Which they keep upping every year by astronomical amounts, obviously trying to avoid paying bonuses unless the sale skyrocket far more than should honestly be expected.

Show some real, not phony, appreciation for the people who work for you. Most of them really like and car about what they do, but the Company chews them up ans spits them out whenever it is convenient; putting a cap on Raises (which are minute to begin with!!!) is stupid and greedy. There should be no such thing as "We can't give you more", at least for those who perform and help the company's bottom line with sales.
    And give the bonuses to ALL members of the Management team; stop treating anyone under the Store manager as a plantation slave. That would rekindle their desire to do their best, which does not happen when their contributions are practically ignored. And get some District Managers who actually give a damn about the employees and are not two-face, obvious liars.
    The Company has the power to make their employees happy and make then want to excel at their job - not because they fear termination or because they need the job, but because they want to because they LIKE the job AND the company. As things stand now, most employees are disgusted at how they are treated.