Barnes & Noble

1,089 Reviews
3.4
1,089 Reviews

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount (in 97 reviews)

• It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • You are expected to complete too many tasks for minimum wage (in 76 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so (in 55 reviews)

More Highlights

Bookseller

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

Love my co-workers. Enjoy helping people with something I am passionate about.

Cons

Company wants a lot out of its workers for a very small salary. Many corporate demands do not fit with specific store or locales.

Great Place to Work!

Former Employee - Part Time Book Seller
    Former Employee - Part Time Book Seller

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent culture. The managers treat employees with respect, or they don't last long. Lively stimulating atmosphere. I've made many good friends working at a Barnes & Noble bookstore.

Cons

The company used to offer health insurance for part-time employees, but they dropped that at the end of 2013. As a result, many experienced employees have left Barnes & Noble. For part-time employees, the hours you get to work each week can vary greatly. Barnes & Noble doesn't lay people off, so when sales are slow, employee hours are cut back to compensate.

As a café server, I am happy with my part-time position there.

Current Employee - Cafe Server  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Cafe Server in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time for less than a year

Pros

The job itself - being cashier, making drinks, helping and conversing with customers, and keeping the work place clean and orderly is among the best part-time positions in retail I can think of. I'd say overall, it's a fairly straightforward and even fun job in a nice, classy environment.

Cons

My schedule has been messed up multiple times, even when I followed their procedures and let them know in plenty of time when there was a change. I also had to tell them several times before they really got my availability right and stopped scheduling me during times when I had class. This is likely not the case for all stores, however, since different people handle scheduling differently/better. This is my only real complaint.

I know it seems like a small thing, but I constantly have customers ask, without any provocation, where the tip jar is, so I'd really like to be allowed to put one out. As a customer myself, I never feel obligated to give a tip at a coffee shop just because there is a tip jar, and my decision of whether or not to give a tip has nothing to do with the existence of a jar or not. It seems small, but even if we could just keep one behind the counter for the many times customers ask, it would save cashiers from having to explain that we aren't allowed to put one out to customers every time they try to tip.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

COOL

Current Employee - Bookseller  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is the only bookstore in town, and i visit there almost everyday. Pros: quiet, and a lot of books

Cons

Cons: expencive, shipping costs a little too much

Have more employees

Great

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

I loved working here, when there was good management.

Cons

Lots of turnover with management and more than half were terrible. Not great selection processes there!

Great first "retail" experience

Former Employee - Bookseller & Cafe Server  in  North Wales, PA
    Former Employee - Bookseller & Cafe Server in North Wales, PA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the people I worked with and it was a great place to learn customer service skills and how to work a cash register without being in the fast food service industry or a clothing retail store. I complained about my job a lot less than all of my friends. Management was very flexible in terms of giving time off and working with my school schedule.

Cons

Emphasis on selling memberships was stressful

Good place to work if you like customer service.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It is a very low pressure sales environment. Most of your day is spent re-shelving book or merchandise, or talking to customers.

Cons

It seems like the people in the corporate office have never worked in a retail store. They send us so much stuff that we have no shelf space to put it in.

trust your local managers with sales decisions, they know their customers better than you do.

Good Company, Retail hours

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall great company to work for. Good growth potential, good values and good people.

Cons

Hours of operation, work- life balance, working weekends.

Great summer job working in the cafe

I have been working at Barnes & Noble for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, and you're surrounded by people who enjoy books and coffee. Management recognizes and rewards effort. Very accommodating in terms of hours and scheduling. A great summer job.

Cons

The discounts were marginal. Much of the day-to-day tasks were the same, but that comes with the territory I guess. Not sure what the promotional prospects would have been like had I stayed longer.

CAn be busy and fun!!

Current Employee - Bookseller
    Current Employee - Bookseller

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

Pros

People you meet and staff are great and get plenty of hours!

Cons

People you meet can have bad attitude sometimes

Nothing I can think of

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!