Barnes & Noble

1,124 Reviews
3.4
1,124 Reviews

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount (in 104 reviews)

• It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • While the pay is a little above minimum wage, the hours make for some very small paychecks (in 79 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Good temporary job

Current Employee - Bookseller
    Current Employee - Bookseller

I have been working at Barnes & Noble (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, most of the customers are great, cafe discount 50% off purchases

Cons

Some customers are really annoying and you have to guess what book they want since they have no idea.. and they expect you to know what book they are thinking in their head that they saw on tv or that their friend mentioned in a conversation one time... Or they'll demand a title of a book that doesn't exist since they are completely butchering the title! magazines! Customers will take a stack of magazines to the cafe of children's department and then flip through a couple of them & then leave them there. Customers hardly buy magazines, they don't need to since they can read them in the store for free! So at the end of the night we have stacks and stacks to put away!

Book master & the PDTs need to be updated/upgraded! Magazines should be pay before u read!

Department Assistant

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Barnes & Noble is a great place to work. It's full of smart, forward thinking people who love what they do, and the product they sell. There are so many employees who have worked here for 20+ years.

Cons

You begin with only two weeks paid vacation, and don't receive more until after 5 years with the company. While there is room to grow, it can be difficult since employees stay with the company for so long.

Very positive experience

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

B&N is a very friendly environment.

Cons

Do not have any cons.

Community Business Development Manager

Current Employee - Community Relations Manager
    Current Employee - Community Relations Manager

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My position has been such a great experience. I have an awesome store manager, team, and DM and I feel very lucky to be a part of this company! My position mostly involves event execution and working with schools and corporate companies. I have felt nothing but support from my store manager and DM (plus my team) on creative event ideas and having their help. It's a lot of work, but I love being busy. I have days where times flies by because so much to do, bot other days i gave time to do simple, but important things likes cleaning files out from my computer. Since working with larger accounts (school orders and such) I love the fact that, if I do my job well, I have the ability to help increase the stores sales in a matter of one sale :) All the schools I have worked with have been extremely nice and thankful to have a direct person to come to for quotes and orders. I have worked in retail/retail management for over seven years and this has been the only position and company I could picture myself with forever. If you like working with people, multi tasking, and planning events this is the perfect position!!

Cons

None as of right now.

Thank you for being a supportive team. The managements supports makes my work exciting and felt appreciated :)

A Nice Place to Work

Current Employee - Part Time Book Seller in Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Part Time Book Seller in Leawood, KS

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employee discount (30% off books and 20% off DVDs and music) is really nice, and the 50% discount in the cafe makes lunches easy and affordable. The employees at my location are great people, all very nice, and friendly.

Cons

There is definite pressure to sell memberships. It hasn't been difficult for me, but I know other employees who struggle with it, and they post who reached their membership goals and who didn't every day on a public board. You never get the same shifts if you have open availability, so your schedule changes every week. The pay isn't great.

Great company to start working

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours were reasonable
    Amazing discount
    Books books books

Cons

Salary
    Promotions took quite a while

Pretty good work place

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to gain work experience and great eirkbenviornment

Cons

Hard to progess up the ladder

Keep up the good work

Great company!

Former Employee - Bookseller
    Former Employee - Bookseller

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discounts are very useful if you are a high school student/college student. Flexible hours for students and part-timers.

Cons

Mostly will have to work weekends if a student. Minimum wage and only increases in salary by 25 cents per year.

There are a lot of pluses to working here, they don't always outweigh the minuses.

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The book selling culture is an amazing environment in which to spend your working hours. The customers are usually great and the company (at the store level) cares about you as an individual.

Cons

The pay structure is nonsensical. As with most companies they pay outside hires more for the same position. They are extremely rigid with policies regarding benefits, rarely on the side of the bookseller.

On a corporate level there needs to be a better understanding of day to day operations in the store. Expectations are often unreasonable with the payroll hours provided.

Great environment for indulging passion for books and coffee.

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best retail environment around. Bookseller focused cultured and you get to work with a very intelligent work force. Many stores have very positive environments. Of course this all starts with the manager team in individual buildings.

Cons

The company isn't growing very quickly so that career advancement can be hard to come by. It is retail so the reassess just barely keep up with inflation.

Stick with being the best bookstore in the world and you will be around for a long time.