Barnes & Noble

1,072 Reviews
3.3
1,072 Reviews

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles (in 49 reviews)

• The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount (in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited in the opportunity to grow beyond minimum wage (in 68 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Great summer job working in the cafe

I have been working at Barnes & Noble for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, and you're surrounded by people who enjoy books and coffee. Management recognizes and rewards effort. Very accommodating in terms of hours and scheduling. A great summer job.

Cons

The discounts were marginal. Much of the day-to-day tasks were the same, but that comes with the territory I guess. Not sure what the promotional prospects would have been like had I stayed longer.

CAn be busy and fun!!

Current Employee - Bookseller
    Current Employee - Bookseller

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

Pros

People you meet and staff are great and get plenty of hours!

Cons

People you meet can have bad attitude sometimes

Nothing I can think of

Great place to work

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

Great hours, very flexible
    Management was very kind and understanding
    Great environment: smell of books and coffee

Cons

Knowledge of books and authors

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good for retail!

Current Employee - Bookseller  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

I love my fellow employees! Everyone is really nice here, and the managers are understanding.

Cons

There is no set schedule and we often only get next week's schedule a few days in advance. The customers can be very rude or demanding at times. We often get out late from closing.

Please organize the shifts better!

Community Relations Manager

Former Employee - Community Relations Manager
    Former Employee - Community Relations Manager

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great leadership, well managed, lots of diversity

Cons

Long hours, especially during the holidays

none

Fun store

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

Discounts, fun place to learn while working. Provided good opportunity for advancement.

Cons

It's retail, so it has ups and downs.

It was a great place to work, weak management but great customers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Woodland Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Woodland Park, NJ

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting customers and great books.

Cons

Management team is weak and advancement is slower than the ice floes.

Allow talented team members to implement ideas.

Love it! But, wish it paid more

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get to manage people who are interesting and invested in the company and culture. Learning actual management skills and seeing benefits of people appreciating what you do and how you do it. Reminding people how good actual quality customer service can be in a world of apps and online ordering (yes, I'm sure people will complain that they've been to a Barnes & Noble where nobody helped them, but get to the advice to management section and I'll answer there). Lastly, getting to train people who you can shape from minimum wage uncaring clock watchers into customer service minded problem solving colleagues.

Cons

Most stores aren't given enough hours by corporate to staff enough people, so customers can get frustrated that they can't find help. This shortage of hours hurts all the other processes of the store. The hours matrix needs to be recalculated so stores can staff enough to increase their sales because they have the staff to sell things. Also, app-driven online shoppers think every book in existence should be in every store at all times, including pricey textbooks and out of print books, this is common complaint of most retail, but it can get draining at times when you really are trying your best.

On a store level, learn to manage from your role and not sink to the role below you. On a corporate level, close a few more stores so that you can focus on the highest performing stores and give those stores the hours they need to create the best possible customer experience.

Loved my coworkers, not happy with the way promotions are given.

Former Employee - Cafe Server  in  Marrero, LA
    Former Employee - Cafe Server in Marrero, LA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

Pros

I absolutely loved almost all of my coworkers. Everybody was willing to help out for the most part and would go above and beyond if you were willing to do the same for them. It felt like family. The hours were flexible, which worked great for me since I was working my way through college. The vacation and sick time was great too. Most of my managers were amazing people that I could talk to if I was having a problem with anything going on in the store. The discount was nice too, especially if you like to read.

Cons

I did not like the fact that I couldn't be finishing up school and still get promoted, even though I could work the hours that I needed to work to move to a full-time position. They seemed to feel like it was better to hire people for higher level positions from outside of the company instead of promoting people from within. There was little to no loyalty to current employees. Also as people began to leave, positions got eliminated and the workload got forced onto people getting paid much less to do the same job as a manager or lead. It's just sad that many of the veterans from the store would leave all at once due to hour cuts at the end of the fiscal year and poor treatment by managers. Many are underappreciated, although I never had that problem I've seen others have this problem with managers.

Be more loyal to your employees. Promote from within instead of bringing in people from the outside.

Great College Job

Former Employee - Bookseller  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

Pros

The environment is fun and welcoming

Cons

Raises are infrequent and miniscul.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!