Barnes & Noble Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Michael Huseby

Pros
  • The Employees discount on books and coffee (in 42 reviews)

• Employee Discount; Cafe Discount (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • You are expected to complete too many tasks for minimum wage (in 79 reviews)

• Little possibility of moving from part time to full time - hours are being cut back to avoid paying healthcare (in 61 reviews)

1,601 Employee Reviews

1. College bookstore

Current Employee - Bookseller in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Bookseller in College Station, TX

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice discount on text books, flexible schedule

Cons

Sometimes long hours of standing and repetitive work

Advice to Management

Need a better training program during rush

2. Good Company if you want to move up.

Current Employee - Community Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Community Business Development Manager

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast promotion opportunities for hard workers. Fun environment. Great team at my store. Book discounts.

Cons

Unreasonable expectations. Mediocre starting pay. Company has lost it's sense of self. No bonus opportunities for CBDMs. Always adds "miscellaneous" tasks to CBDMs that don't affect their sales buckets.

Advice to Management

Great place to work in so many ways. But disheartening how the company has become so focused on memberships and e-planner that it's hardly a book store anymore. Personal service and handselling always takes a back seat to the mountains of projects and mandatory events the company dumps on its staff with no notice. CBDMs rarely have the support that DMs, Regional VPs, and corporate think they do. Makes it impossible to do the job as described.

3. ..............

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Downtown. Close to lake. Good excercise

Cons

It's cool. No complaints. Really liked it

Advice to Management

More help at holiday time.

5. Laid back

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Of course this varies from store to store. But my manager is very laid back it's an easy environment. Great discounts, good pay and relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

There's a pretty simplistic dress code which isn't that bad of a con. But when you're a teenager it's pretty rare to be able to pick out clothes for work that aren't jeans and a shirt.

Advice to Management

No real complaints actually.

6. Such a wonderful experience.

Former Employee - Cafe Manager in Fayetteville, AR
    Former Employee - Cafe Manager in Fayetteville, AR

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The access to books at a discount and some advanced copies meant you had great information for readers coming into the store.

Cons

The manager (if they were not competent) could overly impact the working conditions in the store. While management turnover was minimal it was still a huge hurdle to keeping operations smooth and retaining great booksellers.

7. Merchandise Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Barnes & Noble is a well respected Fortune 500 company with reasonably flexible schedules and competitive benefits for full time employees. This is one of few retail jobs I could see myself doing.

Cons

For part time employees most positions start at or near minimum wage, and benefits are only provided to full time positions. The somewhat uncertain future of bookstores cannot be ignored.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth. There are many overqualified employees who work here because they like the atmosphere, or are unable to find work in their field. We lost many excellent part time employees when part time benefits were cut. Offering benefits after 1 year may actually be worthwhile as a way to attract and retain skilled employees. Also, 90 day probation periods for new hires would be extremely worthwhile for weeding out sub par hires.

8. Low pay but great people

Current Employee - Bookseller in Encinitas, CA
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Encinitas, CA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone was very friendly and the managers seemed to want to teach/promote as soon as possible.

Cons

Didn't seem as though the work justified the pay, some of the managers didn't know all the sales roles.

Advice to Management

Learn all the departments, most of the managers had no knowledge of the shipping and receiving department.

9. Getting comfortable is easy, but you better get used to it

Former Employee - Bookseller
    Former Employee - Bookseller

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy reading books and have the desire to help others find good books for themselves, this is a great place to work. The atmosphere is very warm and inviting, and the customers can feel that. It is very much centered around the ease and convenience of the customer.

Cons

As a bookseller, you are required to push a membership card onto the customer as much and as often as possible, which can be frustrating because not everyone wants a membership every single day, but if you don't sell enough, you get reprimanded. Advancement is also not very available. You must wait for 1) someone to leave the company from the position you want, and 2) everyone who has been with the company longer than you to decline it before you have a shot at getting the position.

Advice to Management

Don't push the membership quite as hard, neither on your customers, nor on your employees. Some days it can put a real damper on the whole experience for both parties.

10. Cafe Manager

Current Employee - Cafe Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cafe Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, great environment, great customers. Loved working with books, and coffee. Met lots of wonderful people.

Cons

Management was very scattered. Communication from corporate was not the best. Pay was mediocre. Trying to fix problems in my cafe was horrible because of all of the people I would have to go through to get an answer and then I would have to consistently follow up because they would forget about what was needed. The bonuses are based on sales, and it is hard to achieve sales when you have no one above you providing the support the position needs.

Advice to Management

Communicate. And stop giving generalizations and vague responses. It makes it really hard to manage effectively.

A wonderful experience until my last store.

Former Employee - Head Cashier, Digital Sales Lead, Cafe Manager
    Former Employee - Head Cashier, Digital Sales Lead, Cafe Manager

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are lucky enough to work at a store full of people who love reading & making their jobs the best experience they can, you will love working here. I spent over 13 years with the company & worked in many different departments and held many different positions, including being management. The benefits are great! Paid time off, 401k w/company matching, health insurance. Always room for promotion.

Cons

Some stores are destroyed by poor upper management. The horrible attitudes are contagious and the misery kills any possibility of enjoying the job.

Showing 1,601 of 1,612 reviews