Barnes & Noble Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Michael Huseby

Pros
  • The Employees discount on books and coffee (in 42 reviews)

• Employee Discount; Cafe Discount (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • You are expected to complete too many tasks for minimum wage (in 79 reviews)

• Little possibility of moving from part time to full time - hours are being cut back to avoid paying healthcare (in 61 reviews)

1,609 Employee Reviews

1. maintenance standard

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Monroe Township, NJ
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Monroe Township, NJ

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than a year)

Pros

its very good company for all employee respect their employee and good working atmosphere in the company.i have 2 years experience..

Cons

i was working in barnes n nobles ware house at monroe township nj which was far from my house..

2. a year of service for a 25 cent raise

Current Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller in Murrieta, CA
    Current Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller in Murrieta, CA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The discount is amazing. The customers and coworkers are often your type of nerds. There are fun costumed events throughout the year. Also, putting a book/dvd/cd in a customer's hand after a quick search is very satisfying.

Cons

Often managers are a mixed bag of micro-managers, slave drivers, and (rarely) people who trust you to do your job. The drive for sales often overshadows the customer service, and there are several days where the projects to-do are overwhelming and there's never much time to complete them. It feels like you're drowning in books, sometimes, but you can't complain! That's retail!

Advice to Management

If I had an amazing year working for the company, my pay doesn't raise very high. There should be a loyalty program, where the longer a bookseller stays (over two years), the higher their pay jumps every year if they meet standards.

3. Store's liaison for schools and businesses. Event coordinator.

Current Employee - Community Business Development Manager

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people and being around books. Like to think that you're making a difference and spreading literacy. Fun to work with schools and nonprofits.

Cons

The pay is very low. Part time staff turnover. Lack of communication for event planning. Retail holiday season wears you down.

Advice to Management

Share national event planning with stores more than a week in advance.

5. College bookstore

Current Employee - Bookseller in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Bookseller in College Station, TX

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice discount on text books, flexible schedule

Cons

Sometimes long hours of standing and repetitive work

Advice to Management

Need a better training program during rush

6. Good Company if you want to move up.

Current Employee - Community Business Development Manager

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast promotion opportunities for hard workers. Fun environment. Great team at my store. Book discounts.

Cons

Unreasonable expectations. Mediocre starting pay. Company has lost it's sense of self. No bonus opportunities for CBDMs. Always adds "miscellaneous" tasks to CBDMs that don't affect their sales buckets.

Advice to Management

Great place to work in so many ways. But disheartening how the company has become so focused on memberships and e-planner that it's hardly a book store anymore. Personal service and handselling always takes a back seat to the mountains of projects and mandatory events the company dumps on its staff with no notice. CBDMs rarely have the support that DMs, Regional VPs, and corporate think they do. Makes it impossible to do the job as described.

7. Good job, nice co-workers, low start pay

Former Employee - Bookseller
    Former Employee - Bookseller

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice team, learned a lot from everyone. Fun job.

Cons

Outdated equipment. The systems from register to computers on sale floor, and programs to look for books are so old, outdated and require many steps. Not the most efficient. Starting pay is very low. Close to minimum wage. Not the $9 posted on Glassdoor. Many people working there have a second job.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the equipment. Too many steps and options at the register. Streamline everything. Higher start pay would have made me stay. Loved the job but just couldn't live on such low pay. Had to take a better offer when I found one. I've worked in retail environment for several years, including small independent shops, and this is the lowest started pay I've ever had.

8. ..............

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Downtown. Close to lake. Good excercise

Cons

It's cool. No complaints. Really liked it

Advice to Management

More help at holiday time.

9. Laid back

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Of course this varies from store to store. But my manager is very laid back it's an easy environment. Great discounts, good pay and relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

There's a pretty simplistic dress code which isn't that bad of a con. But when you're a teenager it's pretty rare to be able to pick out clothes for work that aren't jeans and a shirt.

Advice to Management

No real complaints actually.

10. Such a wonderful experience.

Former Employee - Cafe Manager in Fayetteville, AR
    Former Employee - Cafe Manager in Fayetteville, AR

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The access to books at a discount and some advanced copies meant you had great information for readers coming into the store.

Cons

The manager (if they were not competent) could overly impact the working conditions in the store. While management turnover was minimal it was still a huge hurdle to keeping operations smooth and retaining great booksellers.

11. Merchandise Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Barnes & Noble is a well respected Fortune 500 company with reasonably flexible schedules and competitive benefits for full time employees. This is one of few retail jobs I could see myself doing.

Cons

For part time employees most positions start at or near minimum wage, and benefits are only provided to full time positions. The somewhat uncertain future of bookstores cannot be ignored.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth. There are many overqualified employees who work here because they like the atmosphere, or are unable to find work in their field. We lost many excellent part time employees when part time benefits were cut. Offering benefits after 1 year may actually be worthwhile as a way to attract and retain skilled employees. Also, 90 day probation periods for new hires would be extremely worthwhile for weeding out sub par hires.

Showing 1,609 of 1,620 reviews