Barnes & Noble

www.barnesandnoble.com

Barnes & Noble Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles(in 49 reviews)

• The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount(in 89 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited in the opportunity to grow beyond minimum wage(in 66 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so(in 48 reviews)

Short revie

Prosi like everything about the job

Consi don't like everything about the job

So nice to work at, it was hard to leave.

Lead Bookseller/Department Manager (Former Employee) Brandon, FL

ProsGood environment, not too crazy. Good people to work with. Nice clientele. Had great benefits while I was there.

ConsThe pay was comparable to most retail establishments, which is to say, not enough to live off of. No bonus opportunities and advancement sometimes depends on "who you know".

Advice to Senior ManagementRewards and bonuses for production that can be deemed "Above and Beyond".

Barnes and Noble was the best work family I've ever had and I don't expect to find better.

Anonymous (Former Employee) Fairview Heights, IL

ProsThe management was nice and personal. The hours were very flexible. You get to work around books and book lovers all day. They allow you to work independently and you know you matter to the team.

ConsIt was always cold. I had to leave because there are not closer Chicago locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employes to rotate more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work

Part Time Book Seller (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsGood management, flexible work schedule, fair with employees, positive work environment, overall a great place to work for college students and older people alike

ConsHard to move up in the company, can be a bit boring on days when it is slow and I really wish the pay was a bit higher but overall I would definitely say that as far as working for a major corporate company goes Barnes and Noble is on the better end of the scale.

Excellent Company

Merchandise Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI worked in the retail side and they were more than accommodating for the 8 years I was employed there. I worked at 2 different locations and traveled to help at several other stores. They are very fair when it comes to employee breaks and how employees are treated. Very good at hiring people who like the product they sell resulting in a very positive work environment.

ConsThe pay increase to become a part of the management team is pitiful.

pleasant atmosphere, great employees

Bookseller (Current Employee)

Pros1) Very flexible hours, a willingness to work with you to get your schedule set up
    2) Managers are more your friends than your bosses. Everyone is very personable.
    3) Growth from within. If you're willing to put in the effort, your efforts are recognized.

Cons1) Most entitled customers ever. seriously, they suck.
    2) Sometimes unclear chain of command. Often there are multiple managers working at the same time and it can be confusing as to who it is you need to go to for help.
    3) inconsistent shifts. Not only from hours, but also where you work within the store.

Awesome job for anyone

Prosfun job if you like to sale

Consbeing part-time is how you start off

Great place to transition

Bookseller and Cashier (Former Employee)

Pros- great coworkers who like to talk about books
    - gain familiarity with upcoming books and popular authors
    - active job/move around floor a lot
    - flexible hours
    - employee discount

Cons- minimum wage
    - not always a lot of hours
    - long hours on your feet can get tiring some days

Advice to Senior ManagementThe push for membership sales can kind of crowd out other things, like offering other recommendations. Especially when working register, it can get stressful to ask 1) about memberships, 2) about the kids book promo, 3) about additional promos, 4) emails, etc. etc. This can be especially trying during the holiday season when long lines are an issue and you're trying to go as fast as possible.

This is the best company I've ever worked for.

DMA (Current Employee)

ProsRegardless of the work I've been assigned, I have always enjoyed my job because of the people I get to work with on a daily basis. I love what I do and enjoy coming to work. My managers have always been kind, considerate, and professional and the company works to maintain that atmosphere in all areas.

ConsLike many employers, they try to get more out of less. Fewer hours, but higher productivity expectations from each person at every level. It creates a competitive atmosphere, sometimes this is a good thing.

Great

Bookseller (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsGreat people, fun environment, good discounts.

ConsLow pay, boring at times, same thing every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on going as you are!

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!