Barnes & Noble

1,117 Reviews
3.4
1,117 Reviews

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount (in 102 reviews)

• It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • While the pay is a little above minimum wage, the hours make for some very small paychecks (in 79 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so (in 57 reviews)

More Highlights

What a joke!! Don't waste your time!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Being surrounded by books and those that enjoy them on a daily basis. Tips from others on great reads.

Cons

Terrible Leadership. Lazy and clueless upper management who cannot maximize individuals strengths, yet obsess with micro managing in 15 minute time Increments. Has faltered greatly the past few years straying far from their long ago stated values of respect and open communication.
    From dropping long time part timer health benefits to cheating employees out of 15 minute paid breaks this company has lost its moral compass. Using "charity" and taking advantage of goodness of customers to drive profits., I.e. holiday book drives, where donated books are not accepted, and purchased donated books often languish in back rooms, going unread. Same with "Coffee for the Troops", another ploy to pad profits

Do the Right Thing, always. Stop cheating your associates and REALLY Listen To Feedback. Things should be easier without Borders and many independent stores to compete with but this company continues to struggle.

Typical Retail Corporation

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros of working at B&N are the discount you receive on merchandise and the cafe. You also work with others who are intelligent, well educated and well read. Full time employees are eligible for benefits and paid time off.

Cons

Pay rate is very poor as is normal for retail as are the raises. There is very little opportunity for upward movement especially since they recently just got rid of all the music managers in the company. The schedule is horrendous as you not only have to work nights, weekends, and holidays, at times you work 7-8 days in a row, (full 8 hour shifts). People who are incompetent or just plain lazy experience no consequences while those who are good workers are given more work and responsibility with no additional pay. Some managers will often attempt to give their responsibilities to booksellers. Many managers are not properly trained, don't have the required people skills or are just too immature to handle a position supervising large numbers of people. In addition, micromanaging is rampant. Managers are unwilling to let well educated, seasoned booksellers make even small decisions regarding sections that some people have spent years working with and even have degrees pertaining to the content.
    The training system in place for all new employees is inadequate to say the least.

There is too much emphasis on selling memberships for everyone in the store. There is no recognition by the company for people who are very productive, complete many projects and het many carts completed. There isn't even recognition for increase in sales for departments or sections of the store The only recognition is for membership sales.

The upper management needs to recognize people for more than just memberships. Many people put books in the customers' hands and increase sales within departments. There are employees who are very productive that deserve recognition too. Trust your experienced employees. Most are smart and educated. We know the customers and our sections! Revamp your training!

This is a temp job at this point.

Current Employee - Bookseller
    Current Employee - Bookseller

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Working with books is the #1 reason for wanting to work here.

Cons

This company dislikes long term employees so don't waste your time working here. The longer you work here the more they want you gone.

Value long terms employees, listen to employees more.

Books are not what matter here.

Former Employee - Bookseller in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros are the many books you learn about. There are many wonderful people with whom I worked; they were all booksellers like myself.

Cons

Our schedules changed every two weeks. There was no way to plan ahead. When we kindly asked management to keep us away from the children's section, we were placed there each and every day. Booksellers are at the absolute bottom of the totem pole and are treated as such.

This is a business. It is not about books; it is about making money.

Listen to your booksellers. They make horrifically low hourly wages and work extremely hard. They deserve to have simple requests granted, like not being placed in the children's section when they specifically ask not to be.

Great Merchandise

Current Employee - Community Relations Manager
    Current Employee - Community Relations Manager

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Merchandise and book environment
    co-workers
    events
    community outreach

Cons

Terrible pay
    Working with an abusive public

You've run what was once a great business into the ground

Very demanding and not very helpful with the employees and customers.

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible schedule, nice co-workers to work with.

Cons

low pay and cut hours

stop trying to save hours

Working in retail sales I was shocked when the company said I wasn't qualified to be a book seller.

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

Get to meet interesting people. Most employees are helpful. Store stays open late so you can stop by after work elsewhere.

Cons

Oftentimes in the evening a customer has to walk all around the store searching for an employee. Theft would be easy.

For those who want to work 3 days/week

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount is great, especially for people who love books. Almost all of the people I work with are awesome. For the most part I have truly enjoyed my time with this company. I would have given it a much higher review a few weeks ago but....

Cons

Recently cut almost all employees to 25 hours/week with no benefits - including health insurance. Advancement is based SOLELY on favoritism, performance is irrelevant (this may be true at most retail chains, I don't know). District Manager (and probably all management above) only cares about getting the bonus by exceeding goals at any cost.

Making almost all positions 25 hrs/week with no benefits attracts people who are minimally invested in their work. You will have a difficult time finding employees who want to go "Above & Beyond", or are even capable of it. Overall employee competence will decrease as many hard-working, experienced employees leave for a living wage. Expect customer service standards and store operations to suffer as a result.

Extremely Bad.

Former Employee - Nook in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Nook in Chicago, IL

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Quiet environment. Great for people that love books.

Cons

Poor management. Pay is minimum wage and hours are sporadic.

Re-think the manner in which you hire managers.

The new management team has no idea what they are doing

Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time

Pros

Great engineers with a passion to ship great products.

Cons

1. No equity in the company

2. new management team does not know what to do to turn the company around, nor how to market or sell the great products the engineering team is making

3. let great engineers walk or laid them off

Bring back the old management team that at least gave an effort and had some clue as to what they were doing.