Barnes & Noble
www.barnesandnoble.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Barnes & Noble Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Michael Huseby

Pros:
  • "It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles"
    in 47 reviews
  • "The employee discount is a two-edged sword - - I probably spent more than I earned"
    in 86 reviews
Cons:
  • "I personally only make minimum wage, although only being a cashier I can't really expect much more"
    in 64 reviews
  • "Little possibility of moving from part time to full time - hours are being cut back to avoid paying healthcare"
    in 46 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Books are not what matter here.

Bookseller (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe pros are the many books you learn about. There are many wonderful people with whom I worked; they were all booksellers like myself.

ConsOur schedules changed every two weeks. There was no way to plan ahead. When we kindly asked management to keep us away from the children's section, we were placed there each and every day. Booksellers are at the absolute bottom of the totem pole and are treated as such.

This is a business. It is not about books; it is about making money.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your booksellers. They make horrifically low hourly wages and work extremely hard. They deserve to have simple requests granted, like not being placed in the children's section when they specifically ask not to be.

Great Merchandise

Community Relations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMerchandise and book environment
    co-workers
    events
    community outreach

ConsTerrible pay
    Working with an abusive public

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've run what was once a great business into the ground

Very demanding and not very helpful with the employees and customers.

Prosflexible schedule, nice co-workers to work with.

Conslow pay and cut hours

Advice to Senior Managementstop trying to save hours

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working in retail sales I was shocked when the company said I wasn't qualified to be a book seller.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGet to meet interesting people. Most employees are helpful. Store stays open late so you can stop by after work elsewhere.

ConsOftentimes in the evening a customer has to walk all around the store searching for an employee. Theft would be easy.

For those who want to work 3 days/week

ProsDiscount is great, especially for people who love books. Almost all of the people I work with are awesome. For the most part I have truly enjoyed my time with this company. I would have given it a much higher review a few weeks ago but....

ConsRecently cut almost all employees to 25 hours/week with no benefits - including health insurance. Advancement is based SOLELY on favoritism, performance is irrelevant (this may be true at most retail chains, I don't know). District Manager (and probably all management above) only cares about getting the bonus by exceeding goals at any cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaking almost all positions 25 hrs/week with no benefits attracts people who are minimally invested in their work. You will have a difficult time finding employees who want to go "Above & Beyond", or are even capable of it. Overall employee competence will decrease as many hard-working, experienced employees leave for a living wage. Expect customer service standards and store operations to suffer as a result.

Extremely Bad.

Nook (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsQuiet environment. Great for people that love books.

ConsPoor management. Pay is minimum wage and hours are sporadic.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-think the manner in which you hire managers.

The new management team has no idea what they are doing

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat engineers with a passion to ship great products.

Cons1. No equity in the company

2. new management team does not know what to do to turn the company around, nor how to market or sell the great products the engineering team is making

3. let great engineers walk or laid them off

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the old management team that at least gave an effort and had some clue as to what they were doing.

Poorly managed, badly constructed, joke of a company"

Temporary Bookseller (Former Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsGood hours, close to my place of residence, I have an interest in bookselling, co-workers were friendly.

ConsWas never properly trained, wasn't given legally required breaks, manager made racist comment to co-workers, was never officially let go, never got feedback on performance, was called in for eight hour shifts when there was only two hours of work to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advice upper management to be more selective when hiring managers and set higher standards for their lower-level mangers.

Utter chaos in an environment that feels like elementary school

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsThere are very few positive things to say about Barnes & Noble Education Technology. There are a handful of passionate folks who are really wanting to produce a quality product and it's a pleasure working with these individuals.

ConsWhere to begin....

They have tried to launch a product, of which there are many existing competitors, for the last 2 years and have failed to deliver. As a result of constant failure to deliver executive management in NYC forced a re-org yet the local leadership (which was primarily all engineering) responsible for this perpetual failure are still in senior positions. There are no signs of trying to improve on the past mistakes despite being essentially demoted and put on notice - so to speak. Engineering management seems more interested in proving that their "demotions" were a mistake and rather than trying to work collaboratively with the other teams, they work in a vacuum and try to get their own personal agendas taken care of.

These same individuals act like elementary school kids when they are questioned by crying to the executives in NYC with "why are they asking me these questions", "who does this person think he/she is", etc. In their posted job reqs they say they are looking for individuals with initiative and leadership qualities but they have had a hard time finding candidates and the ones that have joined were sold a real good bill of goods during the interview process.

Morale is extremely low and the signs of an exodus are looming.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating this place like a political playground and focus on delivering software products!! Executives in NYC need to stop feeding into the local management's nonsense and put the pressure on them to deliver products instead of coddling to their hurt feelings every time someone "rubs" them the wrong way. 2 years to deliver a software product to the market should in this day and age should make anyone challenge the ability of management and the talent of the individuals collectively to deliver. If this were a pro sports team the entire management team would have been flushed out by now.

Stiffening

User Experience Designer (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsFree lunch twice a week. Boring work but can be beneficial if you are just looking for a job to gain some basic experiences in the industry.

ConsI worked at its Nook Digital department during that time. Hopefully their leadership has changed because they did NOT know what they were doing, except abusing young talents. Very unhappy, top-down, and stiffening environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more open-minded.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Noble CEO Michael Huseby. All 981 reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees.