Barnes & Noble

1,183 Reviews
3.4
1,183 Reviews

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles (in 42 reviews)

• The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • While the pay is a little above minimum wage, the hours make for some very small paychecks (in 79 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so (in 61 reviews)

More Highlights

Just run away

Former Employee - Bookseller in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Book are fun to work with.
    - Employee discount is nice (30% off books, 20% off DVDs and Blu Rays, 50% of everything in the cafe). I got my holiday shopping done for a steal.
    - Usually, fell booksellers (NOT leads, management, etc.) are nice.

Cons

- Awful management who refuse to train or assist booksellers in store functions, even if it is busy and a bookseller calls for back up. They feel they're so far above booksellers; they cannot be bothered to help even if there's a line out the door. They are also fixated on numbers, numbers, numbers and do not take the people into consideration.
    - Horrible scheduling. Some weeks I would get 35 hours, then 12 hours, then 15 hours…nothing was ever consistent, making it hard to be a student even though this is supposedly a "student friendly" part-time job.
    - The pay is not worth it at all. I entered with ample retail experience and they only offered me $0.25 more above their normal pay. I only accepted the job because I needed one desperately.
    - Turnover rate is dreadful. This definitely differs from store to store, but my store had new hires seemingly every week because so many people were quitting left and right (and understandably so). I never, ever had a consistent team.
    - They find no merit in employees who are well read and can give substantial recommendations and customer service. There is no bookselling culture there, just a selling culture. They're only interested in money and numbers. It took me months to convince them that my talents would be better served on the book floor, offering customers service and recommendations, instead of perpetually behind the cash register, trying to sell those rip-off memberships to grumpy customers.
    - The membership program is awful and borderline unsellable. It's truly a rip-off unless you go to B&N every week. Our head cashiers had to essentially be used car salesmen in order to sell anything. And if you do not sell a membership during your shift (even if it's a Tuesday evening shift with only 3 customers in the entire store), you are lectured to no end.
    - Customers are ignorant and truly, truly awful. The store I worked at was in a very affluent area, and customers treated us like uncultured swine and verbally assaulted us often. However, that's just a staple of retail in an affluent area.

Please help booksellers when the ask for help. It is your job to manage and support your team. Without the booksellers, the foundation of this company will crumble. Indeed, you need us more than we need you. So, start acting like it.

Company lost its culture

Former Employee - Bookseller in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Greenville, SC

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

Book loan is nice, pretty safe place to work.

Cons

No money, payroll is idiotic. 5 people work in the store and its25000 sq ft.

You may be too far gone

Barnes & Noble College

Former Employee - Cashier in Huntsville, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Huntsville, TX

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

Good employee discount, flexible schedule, not continuously busy, many breaks

Cons

Minimal hours, no room for pay raise, minimum wage.

Don't expect much there

Former Employee - Bookseller in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the only pro is the discount

Cons

There was no room for advancement, to save money they got rid of most of the department head positions, the pay is min. wage, they make you work in more than one place just so they could cut hours and positions. They cut health care from employees we did get it as a part time employee. The environment is like high school if management did not like you kiss your hours good bye the store manager made the comment that all the old employees needed to go and these are people that had been there for 12+ years all because they where not in his clique.

get rid of the bad management look at the employees that actually run the store.

CRM

Current Employee - CRM
    Current Employee - CRM

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are none customers get a better discount then the employees.

Cons

Low pay, top down management, an if you don't play ball they screw you over. I see why as a company there not doing so hot every move they make as a company is 5 movie's to late. Store manager has no power to do anything everything is decided by district manager someone that doesn't no you or how your stores work And there is no room for advancement.

What a joke!! Don't waste your time!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Being surrounded by books and those that enjoy them on a daily basis. Tips from others on great reads.

Cons

Terrible Leadership. Lazy and clueless upper management who cannot maximize individuals strengths, yet obsess with micro managing in 15 minute time Increments. Has faltered greatly the past few years straying far from their long ago stated values of respect and open communication.
    From dropping long time part timer health benefits to cheating employees out of 15 minute paid breaks this company has lost its moral compass. Using "charity" and taking advantage of goodness of customers to drive profits., I.e. holiday book drives, where donated books are not accepted, and purchased donated books often languish in back rooms, going unread. Same with "Coffee for the Troops", another ploy to pad profits

Do the Right Thing, always. Stop cheating your associates and REALLY Listen To Feedback. Things should be easier without Borders and many independent stores to compete with but this company continues to struggle.

Typical Retail Corporation

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros of working at B&N are the discount you receive on merchandise and the cafe. You also work with others who are intelligent, well educated and well read. Full time employees are eligible for benefits and paid time off.

Cons

Pay rate is very poor as is normal for retail as are the raises. There is very little opportunity for upward movement especially since they recently just got rid of all the music managers in the company. The schedule is horrendous as you not only have to work nights, weekends, and holidays, at times you work 7-8 days in a row, (full 8 hour shifts). People who are incompetent or just plain lazy experience no consequences while those who are good workers are given more work and responsibility with no additional pay. Some managers will often attempt to give their responsibilities to booksellers. Many managers are not properly trained, don't have the required people skills or are just too immature to handle a position supervising large numbers of people. In addition, micromanaging is rampant. Managers are unwilling to let well educated, seasoned booksellers make even small decisions regarding sections that some people have spent years working with and even have degrees pertaining to the content.
    The training system in place for all new employees is inadequate to say the least.

There is too much emphasis on selling memberships for everyone in the store. There is no recognition by the company for people who are very productive, complete many projects and het many carts completed. There isn't even recognition for increase in sales for departments or sections of the store The only recognition is for membership sales.

The upper management needs to recognize people for more than just memberships. Many people put books in the customers' hands and increase sales within departments. There are employees who are very productive that deserve recognition too. Trust your experienced employees. Most are smart and educated. We know the customers and our sections! Revamp your training!

This is a temp job at this point.

Current Employee - Bookseller
    Current Employee - Bookseller

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Working with books is the #1 reason for wanting to work here.

Cons

This company dislikes long term employees so don't waste your time working here. The longer you work here the more they want you gone.

Value long terms employees, listen to employees more.

Books are not what matter here.

Former Employee - Bookseller in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros are the many books you learn about. There are many wonderful people with whom I worked; they were all booksellers like myself.

Cons

Our schedules changed every two weeks. There was no way to plan ahead. When we kindly asked management to keep us away from the children's section, we were placed there each and every day. Booksellers are at the absolute bottom of the totem pole and are treated as such.

This is a business. It is not about books; it is about making money.

Listen to your booksellers. They make horrifically low hourly wages and work extremely hard. They deserve to have simple requests granted, like not being placed in the children's section when they specifically ask not to be.

Great Merchandise

Current Employee - Community Relations Manager
    Current Employee - Community Relations Manager

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Merchandise and book environment
    co-workers
    events
    community outreach

Cons

Terrible pay
    Working with an abusive public

You've run what was once a great business into the ground