Barnes & Noble

1,117 Reviews
3.4
1,117 Reviews

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount (in 102 reviews)

• It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • While the pay is a little above minimum wage, the hours make for some very small paychecks (in 79 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so (in 57 reviews)

More Highlights

A Nice Place to Work

Current Employee - Part Time Book Seller in Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Part Time Book Seller in Leawood, KS

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employee discount (30% off books and 20% off DVDs and music) is really nice, and the 50% discount in the cafe makes lunches easy and affordable. The employees at my location are great people, all very nice, and friendly.

Cons

There is definite pressure to sell memberships. It hasn't been difficult for me, but I know other employees who struggle with it, and they post who reached their membership goals and who didn't every day on a public board. You never get the same shifts if you have open availability, so your schedule changes every week. The pay isn't great.

Not What I Anticipated

Current Employee - Bookseller in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Bookseller in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall, it has a good work environment with lots of friendly people.

Cons

They will only give you a raise if you're working during reviews. If you go to school and can't be there, then you stay at base pay.

Take advice from booksellers; sometimes they have great ideas on how to better processes. Even though the company claims to accept these ideas and has upward mobility, I did not experience any of this.

Bookseller

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its a good work environment to grow in if you decide to grow with the company.
    -30% discount on books
    -50%off in cafe
    Time usually tends to go by faster if you're doing projects.

Cons

Salary is a bit low for everything they expect you to do. Expect min.wage if this is your first job but if not try to negotiate.

-have all staff cross trained and not only the selected few
    -order in replacements for pdt as soon as they are damaged

It's a job.

Former Employee - Music Seller in West Nyack, NY
    Former Employee - Music Seller in West Nyack, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent employee discount; Cool coworkers; Reasonably flexible with scheduling, depending on the manager

Cons

It became very corporate after working there for many years; Focus switched more to the nook than actual books; High turnover; Most of the managers were unpleasant in one way or another (I was in the Music Department and really lucked out with the Music Manager -- he was the chillest dude ever)

Used To Be Better

Former Employee - Receiving Manager
    Former Employee - Receiving Manager

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A great place to continue a love of reading. Great coworkers for the most part. The discounts on books (30%) and music/DVD (20%) plus an additional 10% during Employee Appreciation twice a year. 50% discount in the Cafe.

Cons

The company is now so focused on an almost unobtainable bottom line. Quotas for selling memberships. Bare-bones staffing making it impossible to actually achieve any of the goals set. Lots of Bookseller perks disappearing. The hiring of "disposable" workers instead of keeping on more experienced, knowledgeable staff.

Great company to start working

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours were reasonable
    Amazing discount
    Books books books

Cons

Salary
    Promotions took quite a while

Pretty good work place

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to gain work experience and great eirkbenviornment

Cons

Hard to progess up the ladder

Keep up the good work

seen some better days

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

too focused on very bottom end.

Cons

not caring about individuals who keep the place actually running.

Good company, management can be so-so

Current Employee - Bookseller
    Current Employee - Bookseller

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great team environment: The regular booksellers and cafe servers are very helpful and mostly welcoming. Any question I had I was able to ask another bookseller and learn new things.

-Discounts: 50% off anything in the cafe is pretty great, and 30% off list price of books can be a great deal (although it's sometimes eclipsed by membership discounts)

-Pretty calm (in regards to retail) working environment: I've only had a handful of unreasonable customers and it's not too crazy most of the time.

Cons

-Membership sales: There is an over-reliance on getting new memberships. At my store, new enrollments were the only things that mattered. You could get zero renewals in an entire month, but if you managed to hit 2% new enrollments, it didn't matter. It creates this sense of the company prioritizing selling a card to someone, rather than customer satisfaction and retention.

-Pay: The barely above minimum wage pay sometimes doesn't feel worth it. There are frequently times when one person will be scheduled to cashier during a weekday rushes that always start to occur around 5 or 6 pm. The same goes for cafe at times.

-Management can be touch and go: At my store, most of my managers, with the exception of one, are kinda hard to approach and have a professional conversation with.

-Opportunities for development / advancement: Because of the previous point, it made it difficult to learn new things. For example, I was set to learn Front List, but certain events prevented that from happening. They never bothered to try and teach it to me since. Eventually, I had to ask someone else to give me the intro to it and I took it from there and taught myself. Meanwhile, people who were there for about the same time as me, or even less, get to learn new things faster than me. Also, from viewing others going after promotions, I've noticed that at my store, it was very political. People who were very qualified for a job and have been there for some time were passed over for people outside of the company.

-Balance out expectations for memberships. A renewal still makes you money and it still retains a customer just as much as a new enrollment would.

-Management should show more interest in developing employees so that they can become more well-rounded and a bigger asset to the store.

Great company!

Former Employee - Bookseller
    Former Employee - Bookseller

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discounts are very useful if you are a high school student/college student. Flexible hours for students and part-timers.

Cons

Mostly will have to work weekends if a student. Minimum wage and only increases in salary by 25 cents per year.