Barnes & Noble
www.barnesandnoble.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Barnes & Noble Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Michael Huseby

Pros:
  • "It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles"
    in 47 reviews
  • "The employee discount is a two-edged sword - - I probably spent more than I earned"
    in 86 reviews
Cons:
  • "I personally only make minimum wage, although only being a cashier I can't really expect much more"
    in 64 reviews
  • "Little possibility of moving from part time to full time - hours are being cut back to avoid paying healthcare"
    in 46 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sales Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsThey're really flexible with school scheduled, you make cent more than minimum wage, mostly all employees are team player's, nice sweet and genuine.

ConsTraining could have been a little better, I had to pick up a few things myself but if you ask someone they'll help however it should be included in initial training. Although they pay 7.50 it's still not enough to take care of yourself without outside help, inconsistent hours even if you do have a fixed schedule. It's just not enough for a grown person.

It went from really great to really awful over the 11 years I worked there.

Children's Lead Bookseller (Former Employee)
    Temecula, CA

ProsI love books. I am a book person, and working here fulfilled my need to be surrounded by books at all times. The best co-workers. I met some lifelong friends here. Also, the discount rules!

ConsTerrible management, from the top down. I witnessed more innappropriate behavior on the part of one manager than all employees combined, in my number of years working here. Also, the company truly doesn't appreciate the gems that are the many booksellers, out on the floor, actually selling the books. It is very short-sighted, and I believe it has majorly contributed to the downhill turn the company has taken.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate- staff your stores. One bookseller should not be responsible for helping every customer on the floor and in the children's department, not to mention cleaning up after aforementioned customers. Managers at the store level- we know you're under pressure from those higher than you in the chain of command. Just don't take it out on your employess who are working just as hard as you. Focus on customer service- that is what can set you apart from Amazon. During the last 2 years of my employment here, I was instructed not to help customers, but to direct them to the self look-up station and let them find it themselves. What about handselling? Customers still appreciate a good reccomendation. And hire people who read, for goodness sake!

Good People

Head Cashier (Former Employee)
    Greenville, SC

ProsGreat people work for the company.

ConsTeachers abusing their discounts for personal use.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at various BNs overs a 5 year period

Lead Bookseller (Former Employee)
    Honolulu, HI

ProsWhen you have a team that's excited to be there and you all have a mutual understanding to do the best that you can. This job is one of the best I've ever had.

ConsUnfortunately this company is struggling so much that it quickly become a toxic environment to work in. I felt in the end that they didn't care about their employees.

Good place to work, smart co-workers, but low pay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get a discount on books and the cafe. The people you work with are smart and interesting (many are in bands, writers, and other creative fields).

ConsIt's still retail, so customers will treat you like crap. The pay is also not something you could live off of.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the booksellers more and put people who are well-versed in an area (like children's literature) in the corresponding section (the kids section).

pleasant coworkers and customers, inconsistent management, terrible corporate culture

Bookseller (Former Employee)
    Mesa, AZ

Prosother coworkers were generally pleasant and good to work with. working with books is fun and the customers were usually pleasant

Consconstant screaming kids in the kids section, corporate dictation of every move, corporate profit maximization leads to radical payroll cuts and understaffing, management can be either very nice and competent or completely rude and disrespectful, usually the latter. insultingly low pay with little to no chance for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementif you are going to understaff all your stores, the customers aren't getting any personal attention and might as well be shopping online from a competitor

I would work here again.

Head Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsGood work environment. I enjoyed the customer base. I think that the company understands the consumer and adjust their business model to sustain themselves in the industry.

ConsLow pay for high expectations and not a whole lot of room for growth. Can be physically tough as well.

Great Coworkers and Managers, but very Corporate

Bookseller (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsMy coworkers and managers were very friendly and helpful. When customers needed more assistance or became angry, we were always told to escalate these situations to management, so at least we didn't have to deal with too many dissatisfied people.

ConsThe pay is very low (starting is $8, but I was offered $0.25 more because I had "experience"). Raises are given every six months, and increase by $0.25, so you will be completely exploited. Not a lot of hope of moving upward.

Barnes and Noble was the best work family I've ever had and I don't expect to find better.

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Fairview Heights, IL

ProsThe management was nice and personal. The hours were very flexible. You get to work around books and book lovers all day. They allow you to work independently and you know you matter to the team.

ConsIt was always cold. I had to leave because there are not closer Chicago locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employes to rotate more.

It's average retail

Bookseller (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

Pros-Discounts
    -Requesting time-off
    -Days can either be very easy going or very hectic.

Cons-They push push push to sell Memberships.
    -Clients treat you as if you have no feelings or emotions, very demanding, even their kids.
    -Schedules change often and without notice, even after posted for a week.
    -Understaffed and employees are overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more reasonable expectations from your employees when it comes to your "membership sales goals".

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Noble CEO Michael Huseby. All 981 reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees.