Barnes & Noble

1,186 Reviews
3.4
1,186 Reviews

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles (in 42 reviews)

• The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • While the pay is a little above minimum wage, the hours make for some very small paychecks (in 79 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so (in 61 reviews)

More Highlights

I have worked here for five years.

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company scores very high for diversity. Keeping the customer happy is a top priority. the company discount is also very nice. Depending on your management team, there is potential to learn about corporate values. Health care and vacation are offered to full-time employees. sick pay and personal time are also offered.

Cons

To become a full-time employee you must be promoted to lead, a position the company seems to be phasing out. Part-time employees need to generally have free availability although some managers will work with school or other job schedules. Training seems to be lacking although there is a program that management is to follow through. Not enough time for managers or employees to follow certain protocol between customers. Pay raises are generally 25 cents per year.

There is a lot of "idealism" in the company that because of time restraints just can;t be accomplished. Mentoring, while it looks good on paper is non-existent because so much work is required of management. Even the on-going training programs that are offered to employees that want to advance never seem to happen. That training is supposed to be done in your "spare" time of which there is none. If you "make" time then other work falls behind.

Great place for a high school/college student to work

Current Employee - Cafe Worker in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Cafe Worker in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great employees, willing to work around school schedule, and customers are often regulars that are pleasant to assist.

Cons

Cafe sometimes only has 1 worker. During busy times this can be difficult to manage.

Good people, complicated communications systems

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, most managers willing to work around scheduling issues

Cons

Disorganization on a corporate level makes it much harder for stores to do what they need to do.

Figure out what you are doing and communicate it simply. Stop over complicating everything

Faux-upscale retail bookselling

Former Employee - Music Seller
    Former Employee - Music Seller

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly relaxed for retail, it requires more problem solving skills than other retail jobs and so does not get boring as quickly. Minor but regular pay increases.

Cons

The rigidity of working in a large chain. The often bureaucratic limits on who can do what. A lack of personal responsibility.

Let individual stores have more autonomy

Nice place to work

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome employee discounts! My supervisor was amazing and very understanding!

Cons

The pay could be much better

Shelving is the worst.

Current Employee - Shelver
    Current Employee - Shelver

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a great company. I felt happy to get hired.

Cons

If you get the shelving position, QUIT OR TRY TO CHANGE IT RIGHT AWAY!!! The hours are awfully early. The expectations are ridiculous. The carts are 300 lbs & I weigh 90 lbs. It's hard to memorize areas of the store. I only worked here a month & hated it. Tried to change position, wasn't allowed. Oh well.

Change shelving rules.

B&N cool

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time

Pros

Everyone cool. no worries, hakuna matata and what not.

Cons

Pay. Need more cheese. And more employee friendly activities

No advice. Doing the best you can.

Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Relatively educated (and polite) customers. The customers are a lot nicer to work with than many other retail locations. It's a nice atmosphere. The culture of the company is also fairly healthy. They don't put up with inappropriate behavior from staff or from management. Most other booksellers are friendly and good to work with.

Cons

When I started with Barnes & Noble in 1998, there was a strong focus on customer service and being the best bookstore in the industry. There was also an underlying respect for booksellers and a great deal of energy put into staff development. We took pride in being booksellers. When Len Riggio retired, however, control of the company moved to Steve Riggio, and then, basically, to committee. CEOs have come and gone, but the focus is now, very clearly, on the bottom line - not on being the best bookstore in the industry. It's now all about making money. Our nice bookseller nametags were replaced by plastic lanyards so that we could become walking advertisements. The schedule was changed so that instead of all being booksellers, with everyone taking pride in the job and everyone expected to help customers in the same way - now we have "shelvers" who do nothing but shelve books, "receivers" who do nothing but cut open boxes, etc. It's a lot harder to take pride in your job and get to care about the company and the quality of service, if all you do is shelve books, every day, and nothing else. There's also been a major shift in how the staff is managed. In my day, we, as managers, were trusted to coach and develop the staff so that everyone succeeded and everyone felt part of a team. Now, upper management insists that "if you can't measure it, you can't manage it" - the cry of the hopelessly disconnected senior vice-president who doesn't know how to work with people. Booksellers who are required to record the exact number of linear feet that they shelved in an hour, etc. - booksellers who are not trusted to do their jobs well - booksellers who are given no opportunity for growth - booksellers who don't feel that they are a part of a team - booksellers who are not coached personally, and who don't feel a personal connection or accountability to their managers - these booksellers are naturally going to feel ill-used and have no reason to get motivated or to do more than is absolutely necessary to meet their quotas. Workers who have no freedom and get no respect, are not likely to go above and beyond. And, Barnes & Noble no longer respects their staff or cares about quality. They only care about making money.

Oh, yea, and the benefits are terrible, with a high co-pay and a high deductible. The pay is not very good. And, the hours are unpredictable and inconvenient.

Fun Enviroment

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

Co-workers and management are fantastic.

Cons

crap pay and some rude customers

A Nice Place to Work

Current Employee - Part Time Book Seller in Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Part Time Book Seller in Leawood, KS

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employee discount (30% off books and 20% off DVDs and music) is really nice, and the 50% discount in the cafe makes lunches easy and affordable. The employees at my location are great people, all very nice, and friendly.

Cons

There is definite pressure to sell memberships. It hasn't been difficult for me, but I know other employees who struggle with it, and they post who reached their membership goals and who didn't every day on a public board. You never get the same shifts if you have open availability, so your schedule changes every week. The pay isn't great.