Barnes & Thornburg

Barnes & Thornburg Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Alan A. Levin

A sweat-shop with a broken business model.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA good place to get a taste of humble pie.

ConsMasters driving minions; power brokers charming intellectuals to do their dirty work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire.

Typical "Big Law" firm; high pressure environment driven by the bottom line.

Summer Associate (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThere is no shortage of money to be made at this firm and there is a vast wealth of knowledge. You will work with some of the best and brightest attorneys in the city.

ConsHigh pressure environment with long hours. Many attorneys/partners are focused only on their own personal wealth or that of the firm. They are not there to help others succeed. Money drives everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the little people and realize that not everything in life is about money.

My experience there was extremely difficult and painful.

Indianapolis, IN

ProsI enjoyed the work, the staff, the flexibility of hours, the opportunity for bonuses at the end of the year. The bonuses were high compared to non-legal work. The benefits were very good. I enjoyed working downtown. I can't say my job title because I was the only one in the entire firm that did what I did.

ConsIf you are not an attorney there is no job growth, no chance for advancement. As the complexity of my work increased, the support to me decreased and the attorneys refused to let me streamline and reorganize my tasks in order to accommodate the increased complexity. No matter how many meetings, memos, requests for change I wrote, they wouldn't let me change how I did things.I worked so hard that I had my first nervous breakdown. I don't plan on having another one because I refuse to let myself get into that position again.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey won't listen. I tried constantly over the 13 years I was there.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very difficult place to work

Chicago, IL

ProsStaff, for the most part, are very friendly
    Complimentary soft drinks available to all attorneys and staff

ConsLack of leadership from attorneys at partner level
    Very difficult partners to work for in several practice groups
    Extremely disorganized in file organization and compliance matters
    Computer software very outdated in several areas and they are unwilling to update it
    Partners give very little attention to mentoring/instructing associates and paralegals
    Associates and paralegals are strongly discouraged from asking questions or seeking assistance from partners

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer leadership/mentoring training to partners across practice areas
    Demand that all employees be treated with basic courtesy and respect regardless of their position and actually enforce it without making exceptions based on status

Treated well

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree Food, monthly staff meetings with breakfast. The offices are modern, and building is close to bus line. Office is right across the street from mall. Location is close to many points of interest such as Monument Circle, which is photographed by even people visiting this country. The business keeps up with latest technology. Company throws a great Christmas party every year.

ConsThere seems to be a pattern of terminating those who have chronic illness. Upward mobility is limited if you are not an attorney. Company does not allow much overtime as they used to.

Advice to Senior ManagementThree needs to be a balance between employee retention and over spending on perks. Perhaps too much money is spent on certain events, and this takes away the profit from the company.

Worked for Barnes & Thornburg? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Thornburg reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Thornburg CEO Alan A. Levin. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Thornburg employees.