Barnum Financial Group

Reset
3.3
Paul Blanco - LUTCF

Fantastic

Current Employee - Senior Financial Planner, Financial Advisor Executive in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Barnum Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Vision and Leadership, high level of integrity, tons of upwards mobility, family feel

Cons

There can be long hours depending on your responsibilities.

2. Success is there for the taking but you may have to sell your soul to get it. Pay can be great, but can also be awful.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Barnum Financial Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good management at the top, and in most local branches, good firm philosophy and resources on the whole.

Cons

The "clicky" office culture is often taken to an extreme by the competitive sales environment and demagoguery of top producing reps, this doesn't always set the best example in practice of what the firm aspires to be. Some folks have trouble keeping business and personal lives separate. Mother Met breathing down your neck from time to time.

Advice to Management

Provide a more thorough training and development program and cut down on some of the hero worship and "cool kids" club mentality.

3. Launch pad for a successful financial services career.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Glastonbury, CT
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Glastonbury, CT

I have been working at Barnum Financial Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People who are ambitious and are looking to improve themselves on a daily basis can find continuous success at BFG. Other firms cannot compete with overall resource menu.

Cons

Everyone can have a bad day at the office. Those who search for cons will find themselves unemployed no matter where they are.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive results... We will get them

5. Small company feel

I have been working at Barnum Financial Group

Pros

Family atmosphere, growth potential for sales

Cons

Lack of upper movement

Ok work environment with a false sense of "security"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Shelton, CT

I have been working at Barnum Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cross training is given when available to expand your knowledge.

Cons

Office culture is ok at best with improvement needed. Personal growth is not guaranteed but advertized

Advice to Management

Consider your training and values of others as one.

Place to work unlike any other!

I have been working at Barnum Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, Work/Life Balance, Firm-wide Events, Leadership Opportunities, Transparency of goals- If you are going to be in the Financial Services Advisor role, this is the place to do it! Great staff, friendly and approachable! Professional attitude is evident. Many varied volunteer opportunities.

Cons

Benefit costs have skyrocketed ( as they have across many companies and small businesses).

8. Don't do it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT

I have been working at Barnum Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture. Fun place to work- A lot of charity work. Lots of parties. ONLY REASON TO STAY

Cons

I worked there for 4 years (2 positions) with no benefits or room for growth. Not treated fairly. Only employees in financial advisor or manager roles are taken seriously. Pay is AWFUL!!!! NO BENEFITS!!! NO TIME OFF!!!! Temp to Perm position, was told after 1 year would be Met, then changed to 2 years, never happened!! Assistants are Temp Only, never will be MetLife employees. No job security...Worst place to work!

9. It is what you make of it...

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Barnum Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We really have a great firm here. I am incredibly proud to represent BFG and that of MetLife. We have a visionary CEO who is always looking forward, reflects on the past but doesn't live there and constantly strives to set new standards firm wide.

Like any company there are issues but I always look forward to my job and the many people I am able to help. The firm has an amazing culture which stems from the top down and I have never been happier than where I am.

As they tell you from day one... "You must act as a business owner" Those who don't take this seriously or who expect handouts (in the form of leads and so on) or those like myself that just don't understand what that means in the immediate, may have a tough time adjusting or fail all together.

Now that I am more aware of what I need to do and what success means, I am heading towards great strides in my business and looking forward to securing the futures of more good people who choose to work with me.

Things can be very frustrating at times as in any career due to our industries regulations but it softens the blow to know that it is to keep our clients safe and secure.

My biggest gripe is the lack of technolgy and/or systems that don't "speak" to each other. That being said this is focused much more towards MetLife and not that of BFG which is working very hard to upgrade its technology platform(s) and has done so every year since I was hired.

You must remember that this is a business where you have a real chance to help people and make a fine living at the same time. You have the ability to give yourself a raise at any time and all you need to do is just work a little harder.

Those (not all, but most) who could not make it here are people who either did not take the career or themselves seriously and were not willing to put in the time to create the needed activity to ensure long time success.

In my opinion we have plenty of tools and access to achieve the growth one wishes to attain.

Great corporate culture, Well Structured Vision, Wholistic Planning Approach, VERY Centered on our Clients Success, Great Leadership Team, Independence.

Cons

Pay Scale Grid, Cost of Benefits, Lack of downflow of monies to Advisors

Advice to Management

We have such a great firm here but I find it unfortunate that $400.00 comes out of my pay check EVERY week, just for benefits for my spouse and I. The future contributions really frieghten me.

With all the money the firm makes it would be great to have our payscale re-instated as it was at the beggining of 2013.

10. Don't Get trapped into becoming a Financial Advisor at this company

Former Employee - Agency Sales Director in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Agency Sales Director in Shelton, CT

I worked at Barnum Financial Group

Pros

Metlife is a good name

Cons

Senior Leadership cares nothing for management or the financial advisors. It's disgusting how much money they make at the expense of the people who work for them. Yes, they are the biggest agency at Metlife, but that's not a good thing.

Advice to Management

Share more of the Corporate funding with the advisors who are earning this for you.

11. Insurance Job

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Shelton, CT

I have been working at Barnum Financial Group

Pros

You can use the company as experience and a way to get into the door of a reputable, big company, like a Merrill, UBS, or Morgan Stanley. They will pay for your insurance and series 6,7,63,65 or 66. I would def get my series 7 and 66 because when you move on youll need it.

Cons

They advertise that they give leads, but they dont. Also understand these guys make you pay for stuff like financial planning software and office supplies! lol...they really are a small shop and very very political.

Advice to Management

Common guys, be a little more professional. I think then the company would be on the right track....right now its really sliding downhill.....its a complete has been at this point...

RSS Feed </> Embed