Barnum Financial Group

Paul Blanco - LUTCF

Best Marketing ever

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Shelton, CT

I worked at Barnum Financial Group as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, great potential for growth in the industry, good training, they give you all the tools needed to succeed, and they reward your success.

Cons

Pay structure was a bit confusing

Revisit the pay structure, the pay is good but how it's paid out didn't allow me to meet my obligations

Financial Adviser Mentoring Internship

Former Employee - FInancial Adviser Mentoring in Glastonbury, CT
    Former Employee - FInancial Adviser Mentoring in Glastonbury, CT

I worked at Barnum Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great company and company culture, very motivational executives

Cons

short internship period, make sure you can work full week each week

Place to work unlike any other!

I have been working at Barnum Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, Work/Life Balance, Firm-wide Events, Leadership Opportunities, Transparency of goals- If you are going to be in the Financial Services Advisor role, this is the place to do it! Great staff, friendly and approachable! Professional attitude is evident. Many varied volunteer opportunities.

Cons

Benefit costs have skyrocketed ( as they have across many companies and small businesses).

Don't do it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT

I have been working at Barnum Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture. Fun place to work- A lot of charity work. Lots of parties. ONLY REASON TO STAY

Cons

I worked there for 4 years (2 positions) with no benefits or room for growth. Not treated fairly. Only employees in financial advisor or manager roles are taken seriously. Pay is AWFUL!!!! NO BENEFITS!!! NO TIME OFF!!!! Temp to Perm position, was told after 1 year would be Met, then changed to 2 years, never happened!! Assistants are Temp Only, never will be MetLife employees. No job security...Worst place to work!

It was a bait and switch, eat what you kill culture of abuse.

Former Employee - Financial Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Barnum Financial Group as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro was the product such as the variable deferred annuity.

Cons

There was a culture of abuse characterized by harassment, humiliation and hazing. There was a musical chairs atmosphere with representations that can only be described as bait and switch. The management uses people and demeans them. There was an active attempt to take your business prospects and misrepresentations as to the strategy and the office infrastructure. There was no attempt to provide a stable work environment or even a building pass. The support was minimal and had the feel of a venture without capital.

Change your attitude towards your sales force to end the culture of abuse which places the risk on the shoulders of the sales force without providing realistic support.

All Lies. They'll say anything.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Glastonbury, CT
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Glastonbury, CT

I worked at Barnum Financial Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Barnum Financial Group or BFG presents themselves as a separate entity to MetLife. However, I learned that they are MetLife. With that being said, MetLife is a solid insurance company. That's right, you will be pushing proprietary products -their annuities.

Cons

I was lied to the entire onboarding process. They presented themselves as a separate entity. BFG isn't even a B/D or an IA after checking with FINRA. You'll find your licenses parked with MetLife. You'll be an insurance based FA. Just work for Northwestern, if that's what you want. They won't lie to you and you'll be happier. Personally, I prefer to lead by financial planning.

I'm going to have fun taking your clients away.

It is what you make of it...

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Barnum Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We really have a great firm here. I am incredibly proud to represent BFG and that of MetLife. We have a visionary CEO who is always looking forward, reflects on the past but doesn't live there and constantly strives to set new standards firm wide.

Like any company there are issues but I always look forward to my job and the many people I am able to help. The firm has an amazing culture which stems from the top down and I have never been happier than where I am.

As they tell you from day one... "You must act as a business owner" Those who don't take this seriously or who expect handouts (in the form of leads and so on) or those like myself that just don't understand what that means in the immediate, may have a tough time adjusting or fail all together.

Now that I am more aware of what I need to do and what success means, I am heading towards great strides in my business and looking forward to securing the futures of more good people who choose to work with me.

Things can be very frustrating at times as in any career due to our industries regulations but it softens the blow to know that it is to keep our clients safe and secure.

My biggest gripe is the lack of technolgy and/or systems that don't "speak" to each other. That being said this is focused much more towards MetLife and not that of BFG which is working very hard to upgrade its technology platform(s) and has done so every year since I was hired.

You must remember that this is a business where you have a real chance to help people and make a fine living at the same time. You have the ability to give yourself a raise at any time and all you need to do is just work a little harder.

Those (not all, but most) who could not make it here are people who either did not take the career or themselves seriously and were not willing to put in the time to create the needed activity to ensure long time success.

In my opinion we have plenty of tools and access to achieve the growth one wishes to attain.

Great corporate culture, Well Structured Vision, Wholistic Planning Approach, VERY Centered on our Clients Success, Great Leadership Team, Independence.

Cons

Pay Scale Grid, Cost of Benefits, Lack of downflow of monies to Advisors

We have such a great firm here but I find it unfortunate that $400.00 comes out of my pay check EVERY week, just for benefits for my spouse and I. The future contributions really frieghten me.

With all the money the firm makes it would be great to have our payscale re-instated as it was at the beggining of 2013.

Large Corporation with positive attitude and room for growth

Former Employee - Financial Planner Trainee in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Financial Planner Trainee in Shelton, CT

I worked at Barnum Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Sky is the limit, you can make as much as you want to make
    Helpful support team which is all done in house
    Large growing company that is constantly bringing in new talent

Cons

Need to grow on your own
    Without putting in a lot of work you won't succeed

Include more partnership incentives and encouragement

Don't Get trapped into becoming a Financial Advisor at this company

Former Employee - Agency Sales Director in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Agency Sales Director in Shelton, CT

I worked at Barnum Financial Group

Pros

Metlife is a good name

Cons

Senior Leadership cares nothing for management or the financial advisors. It's disgusting how much money they make at the expense of the people who work for them. Yes, they are the biggest agency at Metlife, but that's not a good thing.

Share more of the Corporate funding with the advisors who are earning this for you.

Insurance Job

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Shelton, CT

I have been working at Barnum Financial Group

Pros

You can use the company as experience and a way to get into the door of a reputable, big company, like a Merrill, UBS, or Morgan Stanley. They will pay for your insurance and series 6,7,63,65 or 66. I would def get my series 7 and 66 because when you move on youll need it.

Cons

They advertise that they give leads, but they dont. Also understand these guys make you pay for stuff like financial planning software and office supplies! lol...they really are a small shop and very very political.

Common guys, be a little more professional. I think then the company would be on the right track....right now its really sliding downhill.....its a complete has been at this point...