Barracuda Networks

Updated July 3, 2014

2.8

Barracuda Networks President and CEO William Jenkins
William Jenkins

Pros
  • The only pros of working here now are the free lunches, although I'd rather see a pay raise then have them feed me (in 12 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere with great people (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales, engineering and support have very high turnover (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay compared to most other tech companies (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

78 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Friendly and open work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Pros

-Continuous growth and changes - never boring
    -Great environment, friendly people, lots of fun
    -Career opportunities for creative, hard working individuals
    -Lots of perks

Cons

-Benefits and compensation could be improved to be more competitive with other Hi-Tech companies

-Consider offering flexible schedules and work from home option
    -Improve PTO plan - offer more PTO for vacation/holiday/sick time
    -Offer stock options to more employees

Slow to Catch On

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Pros

Experience, working with some genuine and talented people (temporarily), and number of solutions developed by the company provides ample areas to concentrate one's technical skills.

Cons

Low pay, poor retention of good employees, lack of a long-term profit-sharing plan, poor management, and poor recognition of employees.

Invest in your employees and pay attention to them.

Great Place To Work If You're a Functioning Drunk With No Other Options

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Pros

Loose policy concerning booze in the office. If you've got loose morals and aren't too concerned with business ethics this is a great place to be.

For what it's worth, the storage products are decent, but the security side is laughable. Most of their products are canned versions of open source solutions that they wrap in dumbed down UI. Instead of doing one or 2 things really well, Barracuda does 13 or 14 things in a mediocre fashion. As much as they would like to avoid the monicker of "Low Cost Leader", that's what they are, and that's why people purchase their products. There will always be a place in the market for these products, but they will never be best of breed.

Working here in a sales function will teach you to be organized and self sufficient, and you will learn a lot about how to manage accounts though Salesforce, so as an entry level inside rep, this is a good place to cut your teeth. Just don't plan on making Barracuda a long term stop.

Support teams are the unsung heroes of this organization, and are really keeping the ship afloat there. The dedication to keeping the customer happy even when the product does not behave as promised is amazing, and the support engineers have been known to work some magic from time to time.

Cons

Barracuda boasts that their culture makes the company a great place to work. What they don't mention is the childish nature of their culture. It's so much like high school that they could easily film an MTV reality show there. If you're in, things are fantastic, but if you ever fall out of favor, or propose an adult way of thinking, the long timers will make your life difficult.

Sales and product training is an unorganized mess, and communication is never consistent. While there is an effort to improve this, the people tasked with this project are more concerned with climbing the social ladder than actually putting useful processes in place.

Inside sales leadership is now directed by a team that has had limited success in practice, and even less success as a leadership team. Their track record as inside management team would indicate that roughly 65% quota attainment is grounds for constant promotion. Their ability to micromanage and create the most ridiculous success criteria for sales teams, however, is amazing. As I mentioned previously, Barracuda will take you to places in Salesforce you have never been before, regardless of the relevancy.

Business practices vary at Barracuda depending on who you ask, and how close to the end of the fiscal quarter you might be. It's a commonly encouraged practice to book orders that will absolutely be returned the following quarter for the sake of instant gratification, and the hopes that a few of the customers can be strong armed into paying the invoice. Also, the 30 day right of return that they've made famous is rarely enforced, and returns will be recognized sometimes 120 days later, depending on the mood of the accounts receivable team.

Benefits have gotten better as of this year, with the company picking up more of the tab for health/vision/dental, and finally rolling out a 401k match plan, but the equity grants were border line insulting. While I'm well aware that the days of retiring on your stock grants are long gone, what Barracuda offers to folks that put in amazing day to day effort is well under market standard. Employees that have been there for nearly a decade and helped build a billion dollar company have not been taken care of either, and yet the company has shamed them in to thinking that they would not be valued at any other company in the area.

The amount of grandstanding and spin that takes place when an employee does part ways for a better opportunity is comical. Executives shouldn't need to address the entire sales organization when someone chooses to improve their personal situation. It's part of the business we're in, and it's part of life. No discussion or public shaming needed.

All in all, this Barracuda is a pressure cooker, squeezing a lot out of very little. The company is continuing to show Wall Street better than average growth, but there are very few people reaping the rewards of that success, and the ones that do see benefit are more concerned with perpetuating the party culture than helping their employees build a lasting and meaningful career.

Inside sales leadership should be helmed by tenured management with the ability to consistently achieve personal and team quotas, not by a team who happens to pay an obsessive amount of attention to meaningless detail. The right folks are there, you just don't have them in the right roles.

If you take better care of your people, they won't feel the need to search for greener pastures.

I would also recommend a monogamous relationship with the truth.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Technical Support  in  Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA

Pros

Great opportunity for growth in networking and network security area. Great internal infrastructure support enables you to take care of a support ticket almost immediately. weekly training are the best by some of the best in what they do.

Cons

This is definitely not a con but a plus, you will keep very busy supporting the customers in whichever position you are in, very challenging customers, as they are network administrators, managers, and third party support.

Keep up the good work.

OK company with some issues but improving

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Pros

- Great peers and a good place to use as a stepping stone but overall growth is limited
    - New management is improving things slowly

Cons

- It can be very political on certain teams
    - Customer or partner feedback on products are often ignored
    - Salary and benefits are low relative to other organizations

- Hire people with relevant experience
    - Listen to your customers/partners
    - Align products with sales goals

Love hate relationship - repeat.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Pros

Lots of fun events, catered lunches, casual environment with open door policy to execs.

Cons

Compensation and benefits. Career growth & upward movement.

A lot of long time valued employees have/are leaving due to lack of upward movement and opportunity. People don't want to leave but do so in order to find what they're looking for / and need in a career path.

Grass isn't always greener....

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer  in  Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Campbell, CA

Pros

I worked for Barracuda for around 3 years, and I miss it! I got laid off in 2009 and I was without work for about a year before Barracuda hired me. I wasn’t an ideal candidate because of my limited networking experience; after my first interview didn’t go so well, they offered me a chance to study and come back. They even provided me a study guide of material to review. I don’t remember exactly what was on the study guide but it was a lot of Linux and networking stuff. I studied my a$$ off, came back, passed the test, and got the job. It was really hard at first, I had to study a lot at home, but I learned how to support 3 products and eventually made Tier III. Well, you know they say that the grass is always greener…. I learned that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side….. The hours and work load of the job I left Barracuda for were crazy; I love how I never had to do overtime at Barracuda. Due to restructuring, I was laid off from my most recent job and I haven’t found work yet. I just reapplied to Barracuda again and I hope that they will bring me back onboard. Hopefully they will read this and see my resume come through , fingers crossed! I have read a lot of the reviews on here; some of the reviews are valid and others are BS. The people there are good folks and I learned a lot there!

Cons

Ok, here are some of the things that I didn’t like but don’t mind:
    1) The starting pay is low. It got better when I made Tier II, then Tier III.
    2) The call volume can be a bit intense but it makes the day go by quick and it definitely isn’t boring.
    3) Parking sucks! There were times that I had to park across the street or down the road. I have heard that the department recently moved to a new building and the parking isn’t bad.

You should take a second chance on former employees!

AS

For the rank and file it's a real Sweat Shop.

Former Employee - Technical Support  in  Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA

Pros

Good opportunity to learn some leading edge technologies. The employee base is a hard working dedicated bunch. HR tries their best. The bring you food every day.

Cons

Other than the product, I don't have much good to say. The middle management is pathetic. For the rank and file employee, there is virtually no opportunity to grow.

Gut the support management team and start over. Think about better compensating the rank and file employee. It's not just about your greed. Give the employee base some equity.

Ocasional challenges, but overall a good place to work hard, and gain alot of experience.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Campbell, CA

Pros

"Laid-back" atmosphere. Open-door and approachable senior staff. Wide variety of tech and lots of stuff to learn and grow into. Benefits improving rapidly (or at least as fast as possible). Great parties.

Cons

Hard work and self-marketing a must to advance. Benefits behind Fortune 500-type standards. Promotion not automatic--must work at it more than other places.

Right direction overall, but don't be afraid to break a few eggs if they get in your way.

Engineers are highly under-appreciated, weak benefits and pay

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Campbell, CA

Pros

Free lunch, subsidized snacks, fast-paced environment

Cons

Raises are rarely brought up... stock options are out of the question unless you know one of the executives (you better be a good talker/mingle with the higher ups, otherwise your "value" is diminished)... No 401(k) matching and very poor benefits elsewhere (bare minimum PTO days for public company)... hours and projects are too long/strenuous for the rate at which they compensate us - hard work goes un-noticed.

Really evaluate which employees bring value to the company and reward them. No self-respecting developer *wants* to stay at Barracuda the way they treat us.

Worked for Barracuda Networks? Contribute to the Community!