Barracuda Networks

Barracuda Networks Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Barracuda Networks President and CEO William

William

Pros:
  • "The only pros of working here now are the free lunches, although I'd rather see a pay raise then have them feed me"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Fun atmosphere with great people"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay compared to most other tech companies"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Sales, engineering and support have very high turnover"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work hard and you will be rewarded

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time

ProsTons of opportunity for folks to start their career or break into a particular field with less experience, but translatable skills. And a huge focus on promoting within. Upper management and execs are highly visible and approachable. I see a lot of feedback here on salary, but my take is, we all signed an offer letter and know our salary going in. If you work hard, salary increases and bonuses are given.

ConsCould improve on cross-departmental communication.

Great place to learn and develop skills

QA Engineer In Test (Current Employee)
Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than a year

ProsI like Barracuda because I have a lot of freedom and autonomy in my work; If I come up with an idea for a project, there's not some bureaucratic approval process; my manager just says, "yeah, do that". I also came to Barracuda with a very weak programming/IT background, and I've been able to learn an incredible amount since joining the team.

ConsThe pay is definitely below average at most levels of the company, at least in Ann Arbor. There's been some indication that with the IPO, our salaries should become more competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn come cases, some more management could actually be useful, but at the lowest management levels. Also, slow down product development! There's more than one team that keeps adding features so sales can meet quotas, but they don't spend enough time fixing bugs and refactoring old/bad code.

I had a very bad experience in my 2 years working for Barracuda Networks

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than a year

ProsCasual dress code. Keg in front on CEO's office. They have a luxury suite at San Jose Sharks games and occassionally entertain the staff there.

ConsThey pay here is horrible. During my time there countless sales reps, SE's, and employees in other departments left Barracuda for jobs paying 30-50% more for the same exact job/role. Barracuda is a boiler room sweat shop and has an extremely cliqueish culture. The CEO Dean Drako is the most rude and assuming person I have ever worked for in 25 years in the workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone and start from scratch!!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Absolutely the worst company to work for. This shop is a prison. Your boss is the guard and you are the prisoner.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are absolutely no pros working for this company. The management is micro-manage till your head spins and you will loose the interest in working at this company. The only credit I will give for this company is the core founders and very Sr engineers. They are the talent ones and I give allot of credit to them, the rest are just running around brainless without common sense.

ConsNow the cons. Like a said, super-micro management. It comes to a point if you gotta go to do a #2, you will be questioned. You are watched like a hawk, like the security in a bank. In addition, if you have a family emergency (like you have your mother, father etc...) is on his/her death bed, they will give you a negative merit for taking your time off to be with them. So you minus well say good bye to your loved one so you can save your job. This means, your work will not be covered and you will be micro-managed 2x as much until you are caught up. There is not teamwork environment in this company. In addition, the environment is like working in a cave as they do not even turn on the above lights in the office so you can work. If you want lights, you gotta get upper IT to get an okay, or they will tell you to go buy a lamp. BTW, these are all pure facts!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some intelligent and experienced management who knows the industry. They don't know how to get talent. They hire people who don't know what the heck they are doing.

Also, the compensation (as you see from many reviews) is WAY WAY below industry standard (low salary) and NO stocks. A (full-time) engineer who gets an offer from 90% of the companies at least get some sort of stock. This company is like a frat house that needs absolute clean house. New management and engineers. (Again, the core guys and Sr engineers are intelligent. They know how to run the company)

Great if you are looking for a social life...sad if you just want to do a good job

Individual Contributor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are young and new to high tech and aren't looking for a big pay check, this is a great place to start.

ConsIf you have job experience and need benefits and a salary to support your family steer clear.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement training is desperately needed! Employees and managers need a crash course in basic business etiquette and all around manners.

Technical Support Rep

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than a year

ProsGood working environment, can meet nice people whom help you grow along, free food and drink.

Conspay less but expected more from you, didn't have good health benefit, no stock for employee and didn't appreciate your hard work.

Advice to Senior Managementtake good care of your employee and appreciate their hard work. Be more professional (if you want to talk down on your employee, at least have them come to the office).

Fun, laid back work environment

Web Developer (Current Employee)
Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for less than a year

ProsAs a developer, I can come and go as I please (flex hours), as long as I put in a solid work effort and accomplish the goals that have been laid out for me. I can occasionally work from home too.

ConsDowntown is cool and all, but it's a little inconvenient to drive downtown, park, and walk to the office.

Not worth your time.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOne of the Pros of working at Barracuda Networks is that it is located in the San Francisco Bay Area. There are a select few Managers and Directors that do their best to support workers. Other than that there is not much to say.

ConsThere are many cons to working at Barracuda Networks. The sick leave/Personal Time Off policy is bare bones minimum. The pay scale is horrendously low for industry standards. Even more so for living in the Bay Area. The Human Resources team can be slow to respond and ineffective.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the ones holding you up. They will get tired at some point.

Technical Support

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than a year

ProsGood company, great people. The more experience you have helps, though training gets those less skilled well suited to support products. Management focuses on making sure you continue to grow even if you're satisfied at your current level. Anyone who wants to advance will need to work for it. Not everyone expecting promotion just because they've put the time in will get anywhere. Stepping up to the challenge, constant learning even on your own dime to improve yourself makes advancement achievable.

ConsNot rampant by any means, some conversations can reach an R rating. If you're sensitive to extreme conversation, this isn't one of the five percent of companies where you wouldn't be offended. Wear your big boy pants.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrowing companies always bring unique challenges. Please keep your sense of humor while attempting to stay on course.

Very negative experience (Engineering)

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time for less than a year

Prosthinking, thinking... Can't really think of any, I suppose the beer makes up for somethings to some people, and catered lunch during the monthly pep-talk meeting.

ConsI was put in a no-win situation working with hostile people. A very clique culture. And after management bragged publicly about goals being met, the fired me for 'not meeting goals'. In reality they just naive about recruiter fees and wanted out - firing me was the solution. Miserable place, worst work experience ever!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy bother

Worked for Barracuda Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barracuda Networks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barracuda Networks CEO William . All 122 reviews posted anonymously by Barracuda Networks employees.