Barracuda Networks

Barracuda Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Barracuda Networks President and CEO William

William

Pros
  • The only pros of working here now are the free lunches, although I'd rather see a pay raise then have them feed me(in 12 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere with great people(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales, engineering and support have very high turnover(in 7 reviews)

• Low pay compared to most other tech companies(in 7 reviews)

Great place to learn and develop skills

QA Engineer In Test (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsI like Barracuda because I have a lot of freedom and autonomy in my work; If I come up with an idea for a project, there's not some bureaucratic approval process; my manager just says, "yeah, do that". I also came to Barracuda with a very weak programming/IT background, and I've been able to learn an incredible amount since joining the team.

ConsThe pay is definitely below average at most levels of the company, at least in Ann Arbor. There's been some indication that with the IPO, our salaries should become more competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn come cases, some more management could actually be useful, but at the lowest management levels. Also, slow down product development! There's more than one team that keeps adding features so sales can meet quotas, but they don't spend enough time fixing bugs and refactoring old/bad code.

Technical Support Rep

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood working environment, can meet nice people whom help you grow along, free food and drink.

Conspay less but expected more from you, didn't have good health benefit, no stock for employee and didn't appreciate your hard work.

Advice to Senior Managementtake good care of your employee and appreciate their hard work. Be more professional (if you want to talk down on your employee, at least have them come to the office).

Not worth your time.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne of the Pros of working at Barracuda Networks is that it is located in the San Francisco Bay Area. There are a select few Managers and Directors that do their best to support workers. Other than that there is not much to say.

ConsThere are many cons to working at Barracuda Networks. The sick leave/Personal Time Off policy is bare bones minimum. The pay scale is horrendously low for industry standards. Even more so for living in the Bay Area. The Human Resources team can be slow to respond and ineffective.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the ones holding you up. They will get tired at some point.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, laid back work environment

Web Developer (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsAs a developer, I can come and go as I please (flex hours), as long as I put in a solid work effort and accomplish the goals that have been laid out for me. I can occasionally work from home too.

ConsDowntown is cool and all, but it's a little inconvenient to drive downtown, park, and walk to the office.

Technical Support

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood company, great people. The more experience you have helps, though training gets those less skilled well suited to support products. Management focuses on making sure you continue to grow even if you're satisfied at your current level. Anyone who wants to advance will need to work for it. Not everyone expecting promotion just because they've put the time in will get anywhere. Stepping up to the challenge, constant learning even on your own dime to improve yourself makes advancement achievable.

ConsNot rampant by any means, some conversations can reach an R rating. If you're sensitive to extreme conversation, this isn't one of the five percent of companies where you wouldn't be offended. Wear your big boy pants.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrowing companies always bring unique challenges. Please keep your sense of humor while attempting to stay on course.

Very negative experience (Engineering)

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Campbell, CA

Prosthinking, thinking... Can't really think of any, I suppose the beer makes up for somethings to some people, and catered lunch during the monthly pep-talk meeting.

ConsI was put in a no-win situation working with hostile people. A very clique culture. And after management bragged publicly about goals being met, the fired me for 'not meeting goals'. In reality they just naive about recruiter fees and wanted out - firing me was the solution. Miserable place, worst work experience ever!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy bother

Worst place to work EVER

Marketing (Current Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsOnly pro was the free lunches and beer they handed out on the regular

ConsThe Executive team is A JOKE except for the CFO. He is the only one who has a brain. The new CEO fits right in with all the drinking that takes place and his assistant acts like she runs the place, she needs to act her age of 50 not what she portrays. The Tech Support boss is a nightmare! The language I hear is so offensive I put ear plugs in. I cannot wait to find another job and get out of this low paying hell hole

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need so much help!

Great place to learn and work

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Campbell, CA

Pros- Great coworkers who work hard and play hard
    - A great place to learn and build your skills
    - Defined career path that allows you to promote based on you performance - you are not stuck in a dead end job!
    - You get to play with some really cool technology
    - The managers are fair and take care of those who work hard

Cons- Low starting pay. This improves with promotions - you are eligible every 4 months at the Tier I level
    - Sales team members can be a little loud sometimes

No real complaints. It was a good place for me

Renewals (Former Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsI worked at Barracuda Networks for almost two years while finishing my degree. I am glad that Barracuda Networks offers $3000/year for tuition assistance. It was a good challenge that gave me insight into working in a professional environment and learn business skills while going to school. Thankfully I graduated but unfortunately Barracuda Networks is not the place to work for Anthropology graduates.

ConsThe work/school/life balance was a bit of a challenge to manage. I had some long nights and I am glad to at least be done with school.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you could increase the tuition assistance from $3000 to maybe $5000, it would be very helpful for working students.

Worked my way up the ranks

Technical Support Manager (Current Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsTraining in:
     - Linux
     - Different network protocols and routing methods
     - Disaster recovery methods
     - Secure network access
     - Web security

I'd started out as a T1a, and now I'm a manager in support. I was able to use my time to learn as much as I could to work my way up to my current position. I'm not saying is was an easy path, but it has paid off in the end.

ConsThere is not much to complain about that is outside the industry norms for what every company I've worked at in my last 14 years of experiences.

Worked for Barracuda Networks? Contribute to the Community!