Barracuda Networks

Barracuda Networks Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Barracuda Networks President and CEO William

William

Pros:
  • "The only pros of working here now are the free lunches, although I'd rather see a pay raise then have them feed me"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Fun atmosphere with great people"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay compared to most other tech companies"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Sales, engineering and support have very high turnover"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Out of the Army, and into Silicon Valley

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for less than a year

ProsI started working for BN a couple of months after I got out of the Army. They have a lot of Veterans working in the tech support department and even the non-Veterans help make this a fun personhood (I would say brotherhood but there are lots of women on the team too). While the starting pay reminds me of my E-4 days (I got out as an E-5), I got my first promotion and pay raise 4 months after I started and I am on track to promote again shortly. I don’t know if I will stay with BN after I finish school but thankfully I am able to go to school full time, collect my GI Bill, while working full time. Thank you for hiring Vets!

ConsWhile most people here have a great work ethic, some of the people here don’t put in the effort to learn the product(s) like they should be. I work with a guy that has been here for more than a year who is still asking me some basic questions that he should know by now; I have seen a few other techs who are the same way, it seems like some are just here to get a pay check and go home. Thankfully most of the people don’t fall into this category and are very helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep giving returning Veterans a job when they are back from war!

Great company to work for

Technical Support (Former Employee)
Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat opportunity for growth in networking and network security area. Great internal infrastructure support enables you to take care of a support ticket almost immediately. weekly training are the best by some of the best in what they do.

ConsThis is definitely not a con but a plus, you will keep very busy supporting the customers in whichever position you are in, very challenging customers, as they are network administrators, managers, and third party support.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Fresh, Laid Back and Always Growing

Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for less than a year

ProsBarracuda is the most accommodating, friendly, low key, but powerful company to work for. Nothing stays the same but the growing atmosphere. When you have a passion that you can work on all day long, that is the type of environment Barracuda wants to present as the best career for any Software Engineer, Developer, Technical support person out there. Never a dull moment and the family is very inviting.

ConsThe only con would have to be that the Ann Arbor location is not in California!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the hard work!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK company with some issues but improving

Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great peers and a good place to use as a stepping stone but overall growth is limited
- New management is improving things slowly

Cons- It can be very political on certain teams
- Customer or partner feedback on products are often ignored
- Salary and benefits are low relative to other organizations

Advice to Senior Management- Hire people with relevant experience
- Listen to your customers/partners
- Align products with sales goals

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good 6 months for me

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for less than a year

ProsI started at BN as a Tier 1A tech support representative a little over 6 months ago. So far, I have already gotten a promotion to 1B but the best thing about working for BN is the people and opportunities. I expect to test for 1C in less than 6 months, and my manager is already talking about preparing for promotion to Tier 2. As I mentioned, I really like the people too; most of my coworkers are really good people to hang out with and we even through some of them are DB’s. Thankfully, I have received an education (on the job) that has taken me from a regular desktop support knowledge level to a level that I am able to troubleshoot networks and Linux machines now.

ConsThe only gripe that I have about working at BN is that the department recently moved to south san jose and it extended my commute by about 15 minutes. I really miss the Campbell work site because I live right down the road and enjoyed walking to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and thanks for the opportunity!

Grass isn't always greener....

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI worked for Barracuda for around 3 years, and I miss it! I got laid off in 2009 and I was without work for about a year before Barracuda hired me. I wasn’t an ideal candidate because of my limited networking experience; after my first interview didn’t go so well, they offered me a chance to study and come back. They even provided me a study guide of material to review. I don’t remember exactly what was on the study guide but it was a lot of Linux and networking stuff. I studied my a$$ off, came back, passed the test, and got the job. It was really hard at first, I had to study a lot at home, but I learned how to support 3 products and eventually made Tier III. Well, you know they say that the grass is always greener…. I learned that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side….. The hours and work load of the job I left Barracuda for were crazy; I love how I never had to do overtime at Barracuda. Due to restructuring, I was laid off from my most recent job and I haven’t found work yet. I just reapplied to Barracuda again and I hope that they will bring me back onboard. Hopefully they will read this and see my resume come through , fingers crossed! I have read a lot of the reviews on here; some of the reviews are valid and others are BS. The people there are good folks and I learned a lot there!

ConsOk, here are some of the things that I didn’t like but don’t mind:
1) The starting pay is low. It got better when I made Tier II, then Tier III.
2) The call volume can be a bit intense but it makes the day go by quick and it definitely isn’t boring.
3) Parking sucks! There were times that I had to park across the street or down the road. I have heard that the department recently moved to a new building and the parking isn’t bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should take a second chance on former employees!

AS

Ocasional challenges, but overall a good place to work hard, and gain alot of experience.

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time

Pros"Laid-back" atmosphere. Open-door and approachable senior staff. Wide variety of tech and lots of stuff to learn and grow into. Benefits improving rapidly (or at least as fast as possible). Great parties.

ConsHard work and self-marketing a must to advance. Benefits behind Fortune 500-type standards. Promotion not automatic--must work at it more than other places.

Advice to Senior ManagementRight direction overall, but don't be afraid to break a few eggs if they get in your way.

Love hate relationship - repeat.

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of fun events, catered lunches, casual environment with open door policy to execs.

ConsCompensation and benefits. Career growth & upward movement.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of long time valued employees have/are leaving due to lack of upward movement and opportunity. People don't want to leave but do so in order to find what they're looking for / and need in a career path.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

For the rank and file it's a real Sweat Shop.

Technical Support (Former Employee)

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time for less than a year

ProsGood opportunity to learn some leading edge technologies. The employee base is a hard working dedicated bunch. HR tries their best. The bring you food every day.

ConsOther than the product, I don't have much good to say. The middle management is pathetic. For the rank and file employee, there is virtually no opportunity to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementGut the support management team and start over. Think about better compensating the rank and file employee. It's not just about your greed. Give the employee base some equity.

Not much incentive to stay

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time for less than a year

ProsExposure to a wide variety of technical skills and customer service. Easy to get in. Company looks great on a resume. Gain confidence in yourself.

ConsLow pay compared to most other tech companies. Revolving door employment (talented employees generally find better employment elsewhere that pays them like they deserve.) "Opportunities" are constantly dangled in front of you, but not much movement is seen within departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't bully your employees. Employees will be loyal only if you treat them as such.

Worked for Barracuda Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barracuda Networks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barracuda Networks CEO William . All 122 reviews posted anonymously by Barracuda Networks employees.