Barracuda Networks Reviews

Updated July 24, 2014

2.8

Barracuda Networks President and CEO William Jenkins
William Jenkins

Pros
  • The only pros of working here now are the free lunches, although I'd rather see a pay raise then have them feed me (in 12 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere with great people (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales, engineering and support have very high turnover (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay compared to most other tech companies (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Growing company, mostly good experience

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative Tier 1C  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative Tier 1C in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good environment to learn
    Mostly friendly coworkers
    Mostly friendly customers
    Career advancement paths are available
    Strong growth, people interviewing here every week.
    Small perks like subsidized vending machines, free food on occasion, fun events

Cons

Occasional absurd micro-management by upper management.
    Advancement opportunity somewhat based on random factors like whether a customer is unhappy with their hold time (beyond your control, but used to rate your performance)
    Parking is moderately far from the building

Disregard irreleveant CSAT answers when applying to employee performance
    Offer career advancement paths that allow employees specialize and improve mastery of a single product instead of requiring them to dilute their skill set.

Friendly and open work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Continuous growth and changes - never boring
    -Great environment, friendly people, lots of fun
    -Career opportunities for creative, hard working individuals
    -Lots of perks

Cons

-Benefits and compensation could be improved to be more competitive with other Hi-Tech companies

-Consider offering flexible schedules and work from home option
    -Improve PTO plan - offer more PTO for vacation/holiday/sick time
    -Offer stock options to more employees

Slow to Catch On

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Experience, working with some genuine and talented people (temporarily), and number of solutions developed by the company provides ample areas to concentrate one's technical skills.

Cons

Low pay, poor retention of good employees, lack of a long-term profit-sharing plan, poor management, and poor recognition of employees.

Invest in your employees and pay attention to them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Code factory. Beer on tap

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time

Pros

My salary is healthy and I appreciate it. The office is very casual and has a bit of a start-up vibe. There are plenty of smart people who seem to be passionate about code. Beer on tap.

Cons

The office is 99.9% male and eerily unfriendly. There seems to be a lot of turnover, sometimes people just disappear. Kind of sad. The company recently went public and money is very tight. The benefits are disappointing for a tech firm. Beer on tap.

The culture is very Cro-Magnon, you absolutely need more women. The beer on tap is a winner.

Great Place To Work If You're a Functioning Drunk With No Other Options

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loose policy concerning booze in the office. If you've got loose morals and aren't too concerned with business ethics this is a great place to be.

For what it's worth, the storage products are decent, but the security side is laughable. Most of their products are canned versions of open source solutions that they wrap in dumbed down UI. Instead of doing one or 2 things really well, Barracuda does 13 or 14 things in a mediocre fashion. As much as they would like to avoid the monicker of "Low Cost Leader", that's what they are, and that's why people purchase their products. There will always be a place in the market for these products, but they will never be best of breed.

Working here in a sales function will teach you to be organized and self sufficient, and you will learn a lot about how to manage accounts though Salesforce, so as an entry level inside rep, this is a good place to cut your teeth. Just don't plan on making Barracuda a long term stop.

Support teams are the unsung heroes of this organization, and are really keeping the ship afloat there. The dedication to keeping the customer happy even when the product does not behave as promised is amazing, and the support engineers have been known to work some magic from time to time.

Cons

Barracuda boasts that their culture makes the company a great place to work. What they don't mention is the childish nature of their culture. It's so much like high school that they could easily film an MTV reality show there. If you're in, things are fantastic, but if you ever fall out of favor, or propose an adult way of thinking, the long timers will make your life difficult.

Sales and product training is an unorganized mess, and communication is never consistent. While there is an effort to improve this, the people tasked with this project are more concerned with climbing the social ladder than actually putting useful processes in place.

Inside sales leadership is now directed by a team that has had limited success in practice, and even less success as a leadership team. Their track record as inside management team would indicate that roughly 65% quota attainment is grounds for constant promotion. Their ability to micromanage and create the most ridiculous success criteria for sales teams, however, is amazing. As I mentioned previously, Barracuda will take you to places in Salesforce you have never been before, regardless of the relevancy.

Business practices vary at Barracuda depending on who you ask, and how close to the end of the fiscal quarter you might be. It's a commonly encouraged practice to book orders that will absolutely be returned the following quarter for the sake of instant gratification, and the hopes that a few of the customers can be strong armed into paying the invoice. Also, the 30 day right of return that they've made famous is rarely enforced, and returns will be recognized sometimes 120 days later, depending on the mood of the accounts receivable team.

Benefits have gotten better as of this year, with the company picking up more of the tab for health/vision/dental, and finally rolling out a 401k match plan, but the equity grants were border line insulting. While I'm well aware that the days of retiring on your stock grants are long gone, what Barracuda offers to folks that put in amazing day to day effort is well under market standard. Employees that have been there for nearly a decade and helped build a billion dollar company have not been taken care of either, and yet the company has shamed them in to thinking that they would not be valued at any other company in the area.

The amount of grandstanding and spin that takes place when an employee does part ways for a better opportunity is comical. Executives shouldn't need to address the entire sales organization when someone chooses to improve their personal situation. It's part of the business we're in, and it's part of life. No discussion or public shaming needed.

All in all, this Barracuda is a pressure cooker, squeezing a lot out of very little. The company is continuing to show Wall Street better than average growth, but there are very few people reaping the rewards of that success, and the ones that do see benefit are more concerned with perpetuating the party culture than helping their employees build a lasting and meaningful career.

Inside sales leadership should be helmed by tenured management with the ability to consistently achieve personal and team quotas, not by a team who happens to pay an obsessive amount of attention to meaningless detail. The right folks are there, you just don't have them in the right roles.

If you take better care of your people, they won't feel the need to search for greener pastures.

I would also recommend a monogamous relationship with the truth.

I think Barracuda Networks is a good place to work.

Current Employee - Technical Support
    Current Employee - Technical Support

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tremendous opportunities to learn and gain real world experience. Co-workers are friendly and willing to help. Free lunches. Great opportunity for people starting out in tech.

The business culture is casual. There are pretty regular events and parties. The company recently IPO'd and seems to be on a positive trajectory.

Cons

Compensation seems low relative to competitors in region.

Share the wealth! The employee turnover rate is too high. Employees need to feel that Barracuda Networks is a place they want to stay rather than a stepping stone to somewhere else. Your refusal to pay market competitive salaries means all your employee development efforts often end up benefiting your competition.

Out of the Army, and into Silicon Valley

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

I started working for BN a couple of months after I got out of the Army. They have a lot of Veterans working in the tech support department and even the non-Veterans help make this a fun personhood (I would say brotherhood but there are lots of women on the team too). While the starting pay reminds me of my E-4 days (I got out as an E-5), I got my first promotion and pay raise 4 months after I started and I am on track to promote again shortly. I don’t know if I will stay with BN after I finish school but thankfully I am able to go to school full time, collect my GI Bill, while working full time. Thank you for hiring Vets!

Cons

While most people here have a great work ethic, some of the people here don’t put in the effort to learn the product(s) like they should be. I work with a guy that has been here for more than a year who is still asking me some basic questions that he should know by now; I have seen a few other techs who are the same way, it seems like some are just here to get a pay check and go home. Thankfully most of the people don’t fall into this category and are very helpful.

Keep giving returning Veterans a job when they are back from war!

Political Nightmare, Poor Compensation.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of free booze and cheap junk food. A few good employees. If you're part of the right clique, then you'll probably do well. A very few people recognize the problems and are trying to fix things.

Cons

Where to start... Management has total tunnel vision. Absolutely no criticism of engineering decisions is tolerated and management abuses the disciplinary process to punish engineers that disagree with them. Compensation and benefits are seriously under industry average. Advancement is only available to a select few in the right clique. Engineering process is practically ignored resulting in huge amounts of talent wasted on fixing unnecessary bugs. A few people recognize the problems, but since there's no commitment to process change from the "superstar" devs and therefore from management, they always end up failing in fixing things.

You go out of your way to hire talented people and promise them the sky in advancement opportunities. You shouldn't be surprised when the bulk of your engineering staff jumps ship when you don't follow through. It's time to stop treating the people who can take you from serving the mom and pop shops to a real enterprise level solution like crap. It's possible to have a casual work environment with professional engineering practices, but you're certainly not pulling it off.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Technical Support  in  Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity for growth in networking and network security area. Great internal infrastructure support enables you to take care of a support ticket almost immediately. weekly training are the best by some of the best in what they do.

Cons

This is definitely not a con but a plus, you will keep very busy supporting the customers in whichever position you are in, very challenging customers, as they are network administrators, managers, and third party support.

Keep up the good work.

DIsappointing place to work

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

always looking for new products

Cons

pay is poor, more concerned about bottom line than engineers

Worked for Barracuda Networks? Contribute to the Community!