Barracuda Networks Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Products that mostly work despite pervasive mediocrity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time

Pros

There's a lot of freedom. My coworkers and I spend our time improving our projects as we see fit. We are given the time we need, and my impression is that meetings to check up on project status are for information only - I get no sense of "why haven't you all done more," and there is an assumption that we are putting genuine effort into our work. Work-life balance is healthy - there's no expectation to stay late (though those that do are sometimes publicly rewarded with much fanfare). There's no micromanagement or pressure to conform toward a "Barracuda personality." We are free to use the tools and operating systems we like, and Barracuda will buy them where applicable. We get bagels on Wednesdays. It feels casual and earnest.

Cons

The freedom is like neglect in its origins. We often do not have specific business-level goals we are working toward other than "fix bugs, make it faster, make it easier to use," so it's difficult to choose objectives in a partial vacuum. We don't have a sense of what our projects need to move toward to further the company's goals, despite explicitly asking for guidance. Effort and results are recognized, but too often nothing seems to come from its recognition.

Haphazard mediocrity is the norm - "eh, it works, so ship it." Expectations for productivity and effectiveness are low. Half-baked ideas get implemented and pushed out into production, and it seems as if we spend more time and support energy and RMA dollars cleaning up the mess than we would have designing a more robust solution in the first place. (Time-to-market and all, but still.) The QA department is undersized and lacks many capabilities.

The Ann Arbor office is an open office. Supposedly it's for collaboration and all, but I suspect it's actually for density. I recommend headphones, especially noise-cancelling ones.

They do the song and dance of supporting open source but don't do much. Mostly they have built their business from existing free/open source software while contributing very little in return, and ignore any attempts of a community to sprout around what software they do publish. There is a level of undeserved pride over some homegrown libraries, and pressure to move toward them scares me a little. It fits in with a philosophy of shuffling developers between projects - employees already know internal libraries right? Never mind that platforms have libraries already and layering more on top of that is more to learn and more to break.

Salary is not great, and PTO is in short supply. The personality of the typical employee trends toward "frat boy," and the gender ratio is abysmal. It's a mid-size company hiring recent graduates in a college town for low pay, while trying to act like a startup. It feels immature.

Advice to Management

Managers require strategic thinking and good people skills. Promoting developers to management positions is not a good way to find these people. Diplomacy is a must, and developers are not hired primarily for their diplomacy skills.

Quickly growing company

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Barracuda Networks

Pros

Quickly growing company, with a willingness to give new people a fair shot.

Cons

The pay comparatively is slightly below the average.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast growing, opportunities for growth, great people, amazing culture, great HQ, decent perks, good management

I have nothing else to say.

Cons

Salary is a little low for the area/ industry, high turnover of talent. I would like to work here forever but everyone needs to make a living, if the company does well we should all get a taste. Long hours are expected.

Advice to Management

Pay quality people more so they stick around

Great way to learn a lot of things quickly

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time

Pros

This is a diverse work environment, You will learn a lot of new things quickly. It will test your mettle for sure. Friendly and knowledgeable co-workers.

Cons

Training is ill -structured.. Lack of consistency. Management needs to find a better way to motivate employees other then the old "threaten you with your job" routine.

Advice to Management

Learn about effective management skills that aren't decades out of date.

Good place to start but feels like an animal house at times. Experienced and talented people usually quit.

I have been working at Barracuda Networks

Pros

Laid back culture, free food and lots of perks.

Cons

LOW salary, animal/fraternity house culture

Advice to Management

STOP MICROMANAGING and discipline the staff that need it.

Continuous Improvements

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of opportunity for advancement.
    - Pay has gotten much better, closer to market average.
    - Some amazingly talented co-workers. Not the bartenders but the people who have real industry experience.
    - Continuous acquisition of highly talented individuals in the industry has helped skyrocket the company.

Cons

- The inside sales team can be out of hand at times and the maturity level can improve.
    - Parking used to be an issue but they seem to have finally resolved the problem.
    - Promoting people who are not qualified for management roles. Just because it "appears" someone is right for the job doesn't make them qualified. People don't respect these folks.

Advice to Management

- Keep it up! This company has improved significantly since I joined and its only going to get better.

Poor management and Highly political environment

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks

Pros

Beer and social drinkers are welcomed here

Cons

Highly political environment. Poor perk for employee benefits.

Advice to Management

Encouraging beer and social drinkers will help only to a certain extent. Bring in good talent

9. Great Place!

Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks

Pros

free lunch, coffee, cheap candy, great co workers

Cons

pay,training,loud sales floor,not much else

Advice to Management

you're doing great

Don't waste precious time of your life and career in this company

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Are there any? It's good to start your career, stay for 1 year and leave. It's good for people who are approaching retirement or in late stages of career. Free beer, Free lunch. Nothing different than what has been said already in other reviews.

Cons

I wish I could gave 0/5 as rating to this company. I don't feel wasting my time writing about this worthless company. Just one thing to say, don't make a mistake to join this company, and if you make that mistake, correct it.

Advice to Management

Useless. Forget about it. No expectations from them. Start recognizing work done by your employees. Stop wasting money on building Beer Bar, utilize that money for employees.

I have been working at Barracuda Networks

Pros

free lunches, good coffee and espresso drinks are always available.

Cons

limited parking at the Campbell office

RSS Feed </> Embed