Barracuda Networks

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014

Barracuda Networks President and CEO William Jenkins
William Jenkins

Pros
  • The only pros of working here now are the free lunches, although I'd rather see a pay raise then have them feed me (in 15 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere with great people (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales, engineering and support have very high turnover (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay compared to most other tech companies (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

OK company with some issues but improving

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great peers and a good place to use as a stepping stone but overall growth is limited
    - New management is improving things slowly

Cons

- It can be very political on certain teams
    - Customer or partner feedback on products are often ignored
    - Salary and benefits are low relative to other organizations

- Hire people with relevant experience
    - Listen to your customers/partners
    - Align products with sales goals

Love hate relationship - repeat.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of fun events, catered lunches, casual environment with open door policy to execs.

Cons

Compensation and benefits. Career growth & upward movement.

A lot of long time valued employees have/are leaving due to lack of upward movement and opportunity. People don't want to leave but do so in order to find what they're looking for / and need in a career path.

For the rank and file it's a real Sweat Shop.

Former Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good opportunity to learn some leading edge technologies. The employee base is a hard working dedicated bunch. HR tries their best. The bring you food every day.

Cons

Other than the product, I don't have much good to say. The middle management is pathetic. For the rank and file employee, there is virtually no opportunity to grow.

Gut the support management team and start over. Think about better compensating the rank and file employee. It's not just about your greed. Give the employee base some equity.

Ocasional challenges, but overall a good place to work hard, and gain alot of experience.

Current Employee - Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time

Pros

"Laid-back" atmosphere. Open-door and approachable senior staff. Wide variety of tech and lots of stuff to learn and grow into. Benefits improving rapidly (or at least as fast as possible). Great parties.

Cons

Hard work and self-marketing a must to advance. Benefits behind Fortune 500-type standards. Promotion not automatic--must work at it more than other places.

Right direction overall, but don't be afraid to break a few eggs if they get in your way.

Grass isn't always greener....

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Barracuda for around 3 years, and I miss it! I got laid off in 2009 and I was without work for about a year before Barracuda hired me. I wasn’t an ideal candidate because of my limited networking experience; after my first interview didn’t go so well, they offered me a chance to study and come back. They even provided me a study guide of material to review. I don’t remember exactly what was on the study guide but it was a lot of Linux and networking stuff. I studied my a$$ off, came back, passed the test, and got the job. It was really hard at first, I had to study a lot at home, but I learned how to support 3 products and eventually made Tier III. Well, you know they say that the grass is always greener…. I learned that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side….. The hours and work load of the job I left Barracuda for were crazy; I love how I never had to do overtime at Barracuda. Due to restructuring, I was laid off from my most recent job and I haven’t found work yet. I just reapplied to Barracuda again and I hope that they will bring me back onboard. Hopefully they will read this and see my resume come through , fingers crossed! I have read a lot of the reviews on here; some of the reviews are valid and others are BS. The people there are good folks and I learned a lot there!

Cons

Ok, here are some of the things that I didn’t like but don’t mind:
    1) The starting pay is low. It got better when I made Tier II, then Tier III.
    2) The call volume can be a bit intense but it makes the day go by quick and it definitely isn’t boring.
    3) Parking sucks! There were times that I had to park across the street or down the road. I have heard that the department recently moved to a new building and the parking isn’t bad.

You should take a second chance on former employees!

AS

Not much incentive to stay

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Exposure to a wide variety of technical skills and customer service. Easy to get in. Company looks great on a resume. Gain confidence in yourself.

Cons

Low pay compared to most other tech companies. Revolving door employment (talented employees generally find better employment elsewhere that pays them like they deserve.) "Opportunities" are constantly dangled in front of you, but not much movement is seen within departments.

Don't bully your employees. Employees will be loyal only if you treat them as such.

Good 6 months for me

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started at BN as a Tier 1A tech support representative a little over 6 months ago. So far, I have already gotten a promotion to 1B but the best thing about working for BN is the people and opportunities. I expect to test for 1C in less than 6 months, and my manager is already talking about preparing for promotion to Tier 2. As I mentioned, I really like the people too; most of my coworkers are really good people to hang out with and we even through some of them are DB’s. Thankfully, I have received an education (on the job) that has taken me from a regular desktop support knowledge level to a level that I am able to troubleshoot networks and Linux machines now.

Cons

The only gripe that I have about working at BN is that the department recently moved to south san jose and it extended my commute by about 15 minutes. I really miss the Campbell work site because I live right down the road and enjoyed walking to work.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the opportunity!

Software Engineer

I worked at Barracuda Networks

Pros

There is a good atmosphere if you are coming from a small company. Free downtown parking, flexible hours, ping pong, arcade games, snacks. Depending on your department you may get the chance of solving some challenging problems.

Cons

You can only get 401k matching after a few years with the company. It's difficult to move up the ladder and harder to move within departments unless you're one of the best or you've been there a few years. The code base has almost no tests so be prepared to spend 90% of your time fixing bugs and 10% building features. The pay is low so experienced developers never stay long. Mid management doesn't have any previous experience managing, so there is a lot of miscommunication. As the new engineer be prepared to get the worst end of the stick unless you are very experienced. Since the IPO there have been numerous budget cuts, also stock was only given to privileged employees, so don't expect a stock program. The morale is low, mostly amongst engineers and support.

Stop with the budget cuts, keep your employees happy, they're the ones that are going to make you money. The new benefits are not much better than the old ones and just like the pay they are below industry standards. You guys have hired really smart people, you have to treat them well so they stop leaving.

Was asked by the company to write a review bc of the poor ratings…. I hope they weren't expecting me to lie.

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Barracuda was one of the best places to work. It was actually rated one of the top 25 companies to work for years ago, however things have changed, for the worst. Barracuda USED to be a great place to work and learn while having a good time with some of the best people around. But those days are in the past. The only pros of working here now are the free lunches, although I'd rather see a pay raise then have them feed me.

Cons

Where do I begin? First off, they have no value in their employees at all. The company expects you to invest your time and energy to help them be successful, but the company does not invest in their employees no matter how hard you work or how long you worked there. They will spend ridiculous amounts of money on entertainment to make it seem like things are great and fun when they should really be using that money to give pay raises to their hard working employees. Everyone talks about it, and would rather have a raise then attend a lavish parties and events. The morale is down, everyone is unhappy, and a lot of people have been leaving but the company does not care as long as they are making profits. I guess this is what happens when you go public and it's time to start looking for a new job.

They haven't taken any advice yet. The 5% of people that own 99% of the stocks expect everyone to continue working hard on min wage so the 5% don't lose hundreds of millions will be sorry when the people that work for them revolt.

Disorganized, political, unprofessional

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Barracudas style appeals to new college graduates in hourly or low salary positions who don't know any better. If you are into working long hours, not leaving the office and being able to drink a beer on the job you will probably enjoy your experience - until you work at a place with professional management. The dress code is casual, free food at lunch, free sodas and coffee with $0.25 vending machines.

Cons

Barracuda's environment for more senior/experienced employees is downright chaotic. The culture stipulates that it does not maintain an organization chart anywhere in the company. Organizations are fragmented across both functional, product and geographic lines. Job positions and responsibilities are not defined at all, making employee review times extremely inconsistent and subjective.

Personal disputes between senior management can frequently stop business operations. Policies outlining expenses, new product introductions, discounting and a whole slough of other day to day business operations are nonexistent. Many senior level managers have very little formal training on managing people or employment law. I have personally witnessed a senior manager violate the Fair Labor Standards Act by requiring his hourly employees to not include after hours biweekly conference calls with overseas engineering teams as overtime. When confronted, the manager simply made a snide remark to me and told me to mind my own business. I have seen others use confidential competitive information to make strategic decisions who are completely unaware of FTC price-fixing regulations. The response to my apprehension was the same.

I have yet to see the level of unprofessional conduct at any place in my career. Training of new employees is non existent. Sales, engineering and support have very high turnover. Their managers are completely clueless as to why it's taking place. People are not valued at Barracuda. Employee attrition is high and even higher since the IPO and no one can figure it out.

Bottom line: if you are looking for a satisfying work experience with like-minded professionals, Barracuda is not for you. The IPO 10 months after rumors of acquisition combined with systemic management and process deficiencies cause me concern. I am not confident in this company's future. I am currently looking for a position elsewhere.

Start at the senior level and change company culture drastically - or the stockholders will.

Barracuda Networks Photos