Barracuda Networks

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015

Barracuda Networks President and CEO William Jenkins
William Jenkins

Pros
  • The only pros of working here now are the free lunches, although I'd rather see a pay raise then have them feed me (in 15 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere with great people (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales, engineering and support have very high turnover (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay compared to most other tech companies (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Software Engineer

I worked at Barracuda Networks

Pros

There is a good atmosphere if you are coming from a small company. Free downtown parking, flexible hours, ping pong, arcade games, snacks. Depending on your department you may get the chance of solving some challenging problems.

Cons

You can only get 401k matching after a few years with the company. It's difficult to move up the ladder and harder to move within departments unless you're one of the best or you've been there a few years. The code base has almost no tests so be prepared to spend 90% of your time fixing bugs and 10% building features. The pay is low so experienced developers never stay long. Mid management doesn't have any previous experience managing, so there is a lot of miscommunication. As the new engineer be prepared to get the worst end of the stick unless you are very experienced. Since the IPO there have been numerous budget cuts, also stock was only given to privileged employees, so don't expect a stock program. The morale is low, mostly amongst engineers and support.

Stop with the budget cuts, keep your employees happy, they're the ones that are going to make you money. The new benefits are not much better than the old ones and just like the pay they are below industry standards. You guys have hired really smart people, you have to treat them well so they stop leaving.

Was asked by the company to write a review bc of the poor ratings…. I hope they weren't expecting me to lie.

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Barracuda was one of the best places to work. It was actually rated one of the top 25 companies to work for years ago, however things have changed, for the worst. Barracuda USED to be a great place to work and learn while having a good time with some of the best people around. But those days are in the past. The only pros of working here now are the free lunches, although I'd rather see a pay raise then have them feed me.

Cons

Where do I begin? First off, they have no value in their employees at all. The company expects you to invest your time and energy to help them be successful, but the company does not invest in their employees no matter how hard you work or how long you worked there. They will spend ridiculous amounts of money on entertainment to make it seem like things are great and fun when they should really be using that money to give pay raises to their hard working employees. Everyone talks about it, and would rather have a raise then attend a lavish parties and events. The morale is down, everyone is unhappy, and a lot of people have been leaving but the company does not care as long as they are making profits. I guess this is what happens when you go public and it's time to start looking for a new job.

They haven't taken any advice yet. The 5% of people that own 99% of the stocks expect everyone to continue working hard on min wage so the 5% don't lose hundreds of millions will be sorry when the people that work for them revolt.

For the rank and file it's a real Sweat Shop.

Former Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to learn some leading edge technologies. The employee base is a hard working dedicated bunch. HR tries their best. The bring you food every day.

Cons

Other than the product, I don't have much good to say. The middle management is pathetic. For the rank and file employee, there is virtually no opportunity to grow.

Gut the support management team and start over. Think about better compensating the rank and file employee. It's not just about your greed. Give the employee base some equity.

Not much incentive to stay

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Exposure to a wide variety of technical skills and customer service. Easy to get in. Company looks great on a resume. Gain confidence in yourself.

Cons

Low pay compared to most other tech companies. Revolving door employment (talented employees generally find better employment elsewhere that pays them like they deserve.) "Opportunities" are constantly dangled in front of you, but not much movement is seen within departments.

Don't bully your employees. Employees will be loyal only if you treat them as such.

Disorganized, political, unprofessional

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Barracudas style appeals to new college graduates in hourly or low salary positions who don't know any better. If you are into working long hours, not leaving the office and being able to drink a beer on the job you will probably enjoy your experience - until you work at a place with professional management. The dress code is casual, free food at lunch, free sodas and coffee with $0.25 vending machines.

Cons

Barracuda's environment for more senior/experienced employees is downright chaotic. The culture stipulates that it does not maintain an organization chart anywhere in the company. Organizations are fragmented across both functional, product and geographic lines. Job positions and responsibilities are not defined at all, making employee review times extremely inconsistent and subjective.

Personal disputes between senior management can frequently stop business operations. Policies outlining expenses, new product introductions, discounting and a whole slough of other day to day business operations are nonexistent. Many senior level managers have very little formal training on managing people or employment law. I have personally witnessed a senior manager violate the Fair Labor Standards Act by requiring his hourly employees to not include after hours biweekly conference calls with overseas engineering teams as overtime. When confronted, the manager simply made a snide remark to me and told me to mind my own business. I have seen others use confidential competitive information to make strategic decisions who are completely unaware of FTC price-fixing regulations. The response to my apprehension was the same.

I have yet to see the level of unprofessional conduct at any place in my career. Training of new employees is non existent. Sales, engineering and support have very high turnover. Their managers are completely clueless as to why it's taking place. People are not valued at Barracuda. Employee attrition is high and even higher since the IPO and no one can figure it out.

Bottom line: if you are looking for a satisfying work experience with like-minded professionals, Barracuda is not for you. The IPO 10 months after rumors of acquisition combined with systemic management and process deficiencies cause me concern. I am not confident in this company's future. I am currently looking for a position elsewhere.

Start at the senior level and change company culture drastically - or the stockholders will.

Engineers are highly under-appreciated, weak benefits and pay

Current Employee - Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, subsidized snacks, fast-paced environment

Cons

Raises are rarely brought up... stock options are out of the question unless you know one of the executives (you better be a good talker/mingle with the higher ups, otherwise your "value" is diminished)... No 401(k) matching and very poor benefits elsewhere (bare minimum PTO days for public company)... hours and projects are too long/strenuous for the rate at which they compensate us - hard work goes un-noticed.

Really evaluate which employees bring value to the company and reward them. No self-respecting developer *wants* to stay at Barracuda the way they treat us.

Disorganized Mess

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time

Pros

Great brand recognition, good people lower in the org trying to keep things afloat, bathrooms are clean (trying to think of positives...)

Cons

Poor pay., high turnover. Functions are hopelessly fragmented leading to lack of direction, infighting, duplicate work, and general chaos. No one seems to really know what is going on or who is responsible for what.

Find a product strategy, hire an organizational consultant, and stop treating employees as disposable resources

Absolutely Awful

Former Employee - Technical Support in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in San Jose, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only remotely good thing about this company is the free spinach wraps for lunch.

Cons

The management operates on intimidation instead of incentive. Most importantly the training provided at Barracuda Networks is terrible. They give you a binder that is supposed to teach you how to operate their products and interact with customers. Unfortunately, the person writing it apparently did not put much effort into it. The formal training occupies about 2 weeks and all the final tests after training are long answer written format. Thus the person grading can be as subjective as needed when it comes time to promote. This company will set you up for failure.
    I was there one week and resigned because of threats from the training/hiring manager after struggling to pass their policies and procedures test. I can only assume how crappy of a company it would be to work for if they are already threating a trainee over simple policies and procedures after only one week.

Don't intimidate your trainees at the get go. Step up your training.

Poor benefits. Poor salaries. Long hours. No rewards for exceptional jobs.

Current Employee - Technology in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a tech company, there are a wide range of technologies to play and learn

Cons

After two years, no mention of a performance review or raise. The company only offered stock to management and those that "spoke" well (for example, suck ups to management) when it filed for IPO, rather than offering it based on the level of work that was completed.

There seems to be a complete disregard for engineers that do great / tangible work.

The benefits have actually *worsened* since going public (one would think the opposite would be true). Same 401(k) plan as before (no matching until 4 years of service)

If you're a talented engineer (but not much of a talker), do NOT come here. They will take advantage of you.

Reward employees that do a great job, not those that "talk-the-talk". When evaluating an employee, do more than just talk to him/her... talk to his/her coworkers as well to get a handle on what the employee does beyond what you just "see".

Great company for someone looking to break into the IT security industry.

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move up and between teams once you demonstrate capability. Great group of people to work with- young, energetic office culture. Company is just off IPO, so there will be many changes (read: opportunity) in the next couple years.

Cons

Pay is less than industry standard (somewhat due to the opportunity the company gives to people with no industry experience, however, once established, the pay is not competitive to retain top talent, engineering or otherwise- something that has recently been addressed by new CEO= promising)

Barracuda Networks Photos