Barracuda Networks Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Political Nightmare, Poor Compensation.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of free booze and cheap junk food. A few good employees. If you're part of the right clique, then you'll probably do well. A very few people recognize the problems and are trying to fix things.

Cons

Where to start... Management has total tunnel vision. Absolutely no criticism of engineering decisions is tolerated and management abuses the disciplinary process to punish engineers that disagree with them. Compensation and benefits are seriously under industry average. Advancement is only available to a select few in the right clique. Engineering process is practically ignored resulting in huge amounts of talent wasted on fixing unnecessary bugs. A few people recognize the problems, but since there's no commitment to process change from the "superstar" devs and therefore from management, they always end up failing in fixing things.

Advice to Management

You go out of your way to hire talented people and promise them the sky in advancement opportunities. You shouldn't be surprised when the bulk of your engineering staff jumps ship when you don't follow through. It's time to stop treating the people who can take you from serving the mom and pop shops to a real enterprise level solution like crap. It's possible to have a casual work environment with professional engineering practices, but you're certainly not pulling it off.

DIsappointing place to work

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

always looking for new products

Cons

pay is poor, more concerned about bottom line than engineers

Out of the Army, and into Silicon Valley

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started working for BN a couple of months after I got out of the Army. They have a lot of Veterans working in the tech support department and even the non-Veterans help make this a fun personhood (I would say brotherhood but there are lots of women on the team too). While the starting pay reminds me of my E-4 days (I got out as an E-5), I got my first promotion and pay raise 4 months after I started and I am on track to promote again shortly. I don’t know if I will stay with BN after I finish school but thankfully I am able to go to school full time, collect my GI Bill, while working full time. Thank you for hiring Vets!

Cons

While most people here have a great work ethic, some of the people here don’t put in the effort to learn the product(s) like they should be. I work with a guy that has been here for more than a year who is still asking me some basic questions that he should know by now; I have seen a few other techs who are the same way, it seems like some are just here to get a pay check and go home. Thankfully most of the people don’t fall into this category and are very helpful.

Advice to Management

Keep giving returning Veterans a job when they are back from war!

5. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for growth in networking and network security area. Great internal infrastructure support enables you to take care of a support ticket almost immediately. weekly training are the best by some of the best in what they do.

Cons

This is definitely not a con but a plus, you will keep very busy supporting the customers in whichever position you are in, very challenging customers, as they are network administrators, managers, and third party support.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Fresh, Laid Back and Always Growing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Barracuda is the most accommodating, friendly, low key, but powerful company to work for. Nothing stays the same but the growing atmosphere. When you have a passion that you can work on all day long, that is the type of environment Barracuda wants to present as the best career for any Software Engineer, Developer, Technical support person out there. Never a dull moment and the family is very inviting.

Cons

The only con would have to be that the Ann Arbor location is not in California!

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work!

7. OK company with some issues but improving

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great peers and a good place to use as a stepping stone but overall growth is limited - New management is improving things slowly

Cons

- It can be very political on certain teams - Customer or partner feedback on products are often ignored - Salary and benefits are low relative to other organizations

Advice to Management

- Hire people with relevant experience - Listen to your customers/partners - Align products with sales goals

Grass isn't always greener....

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Barracuda for around 3 years, and I miss it! I got laid off in 2009 and I was without work for about a year before Barracuda hired me. I wasn’t an ideal candidate because of my limited networking experience; after my first interview didn’t go so well, they offered me a chance to study and come back. They even provided me a study guide of material to review. I don’t remember exactly what was on the study guide but it was a lot of Linux and networking stuff. I studied my a$$ off, came back, passed the test, and got the job. It was really hard at first, I had to study a lot at home, but I learned how to support 3 products and eventually made Tier III. Well, you know they say that the grass is always greener…. I learned that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side….. The hours and work load of the job I left Barracuda for were crazy; I love how I never had to do overtime at Barracuda. Due to restructuring, I was laid off from my most recent job and I haven’t found work yet. I just reapplied to Barracuda again and I hope that they will bring me back onboard. Hopefully they will read this and see my resume come through , fingers crossed! I have read a lot of the reviews on here; some of the reviews are valid and others are BS. The people there are good folks and I learned a lot there!

Cons

Ok, here are some of the things that I didn’t like but don’t mind: 1) The starting pay is low. It got better when I made Tier II, then Tier III. 2) The call volume can be a bit intense but it makes the day go by quick and it definitely isn’t boring. 3) Parking sucks! There were times that I had to park across the street or down the road. I have heard that the department recently moved to a new building and the parking isn’t bad.

Advice to Management

You should take a second chance on former employees! AS

9. Ocasional challenges, but overall a good place to work hard, and gain alot of experience.

Current Employee - Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time

Pros

"Laid-back" atmosphere. Open-door and approachable senior staff. Wide variety of tech and lots of stuff to learn and grow into. Benefits improving rapidly (or at least as fast as possible). Great parties.

Cons

Hard work and self-marketing a must to advance. Benefits behind Fortune 500-type standards. Promotion not automatic--must work at it more than other places.

Advice to Management

Right direction overall, but don't be afraid to break a few eggs if they get in your way.

Software Engineer

I worked at Barracuda Networks

Pros

There is a good atmosphere if you are coming from a small company. Free downtown parking, flexible hours, ping pong, arcade games, snacks. Depending on your department you may get the chance of solving some challenging problems.

Cons

You can only get 401k matching after a few years with the company. It's difficult to move up the ladder and harder to move within departments unless you're one of the best or you've been there a few years. The code base has almost no tests so be prepared to spend 90% of your time fixing bugs and 10% building features. The pay is low so experienced developers never stay long. Mid management doesn't have any previous experience managing, so there is a lot of miscommunication. As the new engineer be prepared to get the worst end of the stick unless you are very experienced. Since the IPO there have been numerous budget cuts, also stock was only given to privileged employees, so don't expect a stock program. The morale is low, mostly amongst engineers and support.

Advice to Management

Stop with the budget cuts, keep your employees happy, they're the ones that are going to make you money. The new benefits are not much better than the old ones and just like the pay they are below industry standards. You guys have hired really smart people, you have to treat them well so they stop leaving.

Good 6 months for me

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started at BN as a Tier 1A tech support representative a little over 6 months ago. So far, I have already gotten a promotion to 1B but the best thing about working for BN is the people and opportunities. I expect to test for 1C in less than 6 months, and my manager is already talking about preparing for promotion to Tier 2. As I mentioned, I really like the people too; most of my coworkers are really good people to hang out with and we even through some of them are DB’s. Thankfully, I have received an education (on the job) that has taken me from a regular desktop support knowledge level to a level that I am able to troubleshoot networks and Linux machines now.

Cons

The only gripe that I have about working at BN is that the department recently moved to south san jose and it extended my commute by about 15 minutes. I really miss the Campbell work site because I live right down the road and enjoyed walking to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and thanks for the opportunity!

RSS Feed </> Embed