Barracuda Networks

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014

Barracuda Networks President and CEO William Jenkins
William Jenkins

Pros
  • The only pros of working here now are the free lunches, although I'd rather see a pay raise then have them feed me (in 15 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere with great people (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales, engineering and support have very high turnover (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay compared to most other tech companies (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Technical Support Rep

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good working environment, can meet nice people whom help you grow along, free food and drink.

Cons

pay less but expected more from you, didn't have good health benefit, no stock for employee and didn't appreciate your hard work.

take good care of your employee and appreciate their hard work. Be more professional (if you want to talk down on your employee, at least have them come to the office).

Great place to learn and develop skills

Current Employee - QA Engineer In Test in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - QA Engineer In Test in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like Barracuda because I have a lot of freedom and autonomy in my work; If I come up with an idea for a project, there's not some bureaucratic approval process; my manager just says, "yeah, do that". I also came to Barracuda with a very weak programming/IT background, and I've been able to learn an incredible amount since joining the team.

Cons

The pay is definitely below average at most levels of the company, at least in Ann Arbor. There's been some indication that with the IPO, our salaries should become more competitive.

In come cases, some more management could actually be useful, but at the lowest management levels. Also, slow down product development! There's more than one team that keeps adding features so sales can meet quotas, but they don't spend enough time fixing bugs and refactoring old/bad code.

Not worth your time.

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the Pros of working at Barracuda Networks is that it is located in the San Francisco Bay Area. There are a select few Managers and Directors that do their best to support workers. Other than that there is not much to say.

Cons

There are many cons to working at Barracuda Networks. The sick leave/Personal Time Off policy is bare bones minimum. The pay scale is horrendously low for industry standards. Even more so for living in the Bay Area. The Human Resources team can be slow to respond and ineffective.

Think about the ones holding you up. They will get tired at some point.

Fun, laid back work environment

Current Employee - Web Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a developer, I can come and go as I please (flex hours), as long as I put in a solid work effort and accomplish the goals that have been laid out for me. I can occasionally work from home too.

Cons

Downtown is cool and all, but it's a little inconvenient to drive downtown, park, and walk to the office.

Technical Support

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company, great people. The more experience you have helps, though training gets those less skilled well suited to support products. Management focuses on making sure you continue to grow even if you're satisfied at your current level. Anyone who wants to advance will need to work for it. Not everyone expecting promotion just because they've put the time in will get anywhere. Stepping up to the challenge, constant learning even on your own dime to improve yourself makes advancement achievable.

Cons

Not rampant by any means, some conversations can reach an R rating. If you're sensitive to extreme conversation, this isn't one of the five percent of companies where you wouldn't be offended. Wear your big boy pants.

Growing companies always bring unique challenges. Please keep your sense of humor while attempting to stay on course.

Very negative experience (Engineering)

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

thinking, thinking... Can't really think of any, I suppose the beer makes up for somethings to some people, and catered lunch during the monthly pep-talk meeting.

Cons

I was put in a no-win situation working with hostile people. A very clique culture. And after management bragged publicly about goals being met, the fired me for 'not meeting goals'. In reality they just naive about recruiter fees and wanted out - firing me was the solution. Miserable place, worst work experience ever!

Why bother

Worst place to work EVER

Current Employee - Marketing in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Only pro was the free lunches and beer they handed out on the regular

Cons

The Executive team is A JOKE except for the CFO. He is the only one who has a brain. The new CEO fits right in with all the drinking that takes place and his assistant acts like she runs the place, she needs to act her age of 50 not what she portrays. The Tech Support boss is a nightmare! The language I hear is so offensive I put ear plugs in. I cannot wait to find another job and get out of this low paying hell hole

You need so much help!

No real complaints. It was a good place for me

Former Employee - Renewals in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Renewals in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at Barracuda Networks for almost two years while finishing my degree. I am glad that Barracuda Networks offers $3000/year for tuition assistance. It was a good challenge that gave me insight into working in a professional environment and learn business skills while going to school. Thankfully I graduated but unfortunately Barracuda Networks is not the place to work for Anthropology graduates.

Cons

The work/school/life balance was a bit of a challenge to manage. I had some long nights and I am glad to at least be done with school.

If you could increase the tuition assistance from $3000 to maybe $5000, it would be very helpful for working students.

Worked my way up the ranks

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training in:
     - Linux
     - Different network protocols and routing methods
     - Disaster recovery methods
     - Secure network access
     - Web security

I'd started out as a T1a, and now I'm a manager in support. I was able to use my time to learn as much as I could to work my way up to my current position. I'm not saying is was an easy path, but it has paid off in the end.

Cons

There is not much to complain about that is outside the industry norms for what every company I've worked at in my last 14 years of experiences.

6 months and going stron

Current Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with Barracuda Networks for about 6 months and I am so far enjoying it. I started as a Web Filter technician and I am now supporting Flex too. A highlight of the Pros can be found below:
    1. The initial training program was really good. They provided about two weeks of training: the first week was instructor and hands on assignments, and the second week was hands on with customers while another technician worked with me.
    2. They provide on-going training bi-weekly for every product, and even if you miss the training, they make the recordings available.
    3. I got promoted in my first 4 months and I expect to test for Tier IC in two months.
    4. The people that I work with are hella cool, smart, and willing to help.
    5. Management is fair and will treat you well. They have high expectations but as long as you meet those expectations, they will take care of you.
    6. Free lunch and dinner. It is catered and yummy!
    7. The work life balance is good. I don't have to work overtime and I am never on call. In my last job, I was on call twice per week and one weekend per month.
    8. There are fun activities. I even won a free weekend ski trip. The only thing that could have made that better would be if they gave me gambling and beer money to spend (i.e. ALL EXPENSES PAID). But I can't complain too much because it was fun to get to know my co-workers after only two months.

Cons

So far, this has been a great experience for me, but I do have a few cons:
    1) The parking is a pain. Thankfully, there is a parking program that pays you $330 to park across the street. I have to play frogger going across Winchester but the extra $1200+ per year is nice! BTW, there is a cross walk but I don't feel like walking the extra two blocks to use it. If you don't want the bonus, you can park in the regular parking lot. We are also supposed to move to a new building soon, so they tell us there will be plenty of parking in the new office.
    2) This office can get a bit noisy some times. Sales is constantly ringing the bell when an Enterprise sale goes through. I think it frustrates customers sometimes.

Please keep the parking program bonuses going in the new building and lets get rid of that darn sales bell.

Barracuda Networks Photos