Barrett & Stokely

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Dennis Barrett

1. Great company with owners who care!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had an extremely positive experience in my 2 years with this company. While I was hired with no prior industry experience, my property manager and regional manager were always more than willing to provide access to additional training opportunities. Barrett & Stokely is truly a family-owned company, however the owners do care about their employees and take the time to get to know them. I had a wonderful experience with this company and, in my final week, I received emails and phone calls from each of the owners wishing me luck in my new position. I would absolutely recommend this company.

Cons

Upper management is not always transparent about what opportunities may be available. On the owned side, there are so many long-term employees (definitely a positive thing), there is not always a lot of room for growth.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about the direction of the company and current and future opportunities for growth.

2. A great company to work for

I have been working at Barrett & Stokely

Pros

I love working at Barrett & Stokely. My supervisor on the Management side cares about me as a person, and also about my career progression. It's a family owned company and it is easy to feel that in the atmosphere. Working as part of a team is both a fun and rewarding experience when everyone works together and trusts the abilities of their team. Excellent team environment.

Cons

When it is busy sometimes things don't get communicated the clearest, but everyone helps everyone so it all goes smoothly.There is a vast knowledge of experience to get through every situation successfully.

Advice to Management

Continue to cultivate a great team atmosphere.

Don't drink the Kool - aid.

Former Employee - Community Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No upper management oversight past your immediate supervisor, unless you fall victim to convenient amnesia when upper management steps in. Document every thing that is promised. You might get some training from a computer or another employee that did not get training either.

Cons

Plenty of promises with no benefits to the front line employees. You get paid but good luck with advancement. I heard one employee worked over 18 years as community manager only to be promoted after threats to leave. If you are a family member, your quickly promoted with a huge raise. If you are found to have fallen victim of an incompetent superior, you need to dust off your resume and pack your bags. Asking for help is highly discouraged. The hiring process is highly questionable and very shady. If you don't fit their "mold", don't bother. Lastly, expect no more than a 1 or 2% increase in pay every year no matter what effort you put in.

Advice to Management

Stop putting family in positions they are not qualified to be in and maybe get some outside help in training. Maybe promote or hire someone who is a little different than you. Others call it diversity. Wake up to fact the front line employees are what runs your business while you play golf.

Document, document, document....

Former Employee - Community Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Barrett & Stokely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, decent benefits package. Properties were well-maintained, with the exception of some fee-managed properties.

Cons

I had a newly-promoted supervisor, who truly believed in a cookie-cutter approach. In her mind, the marketing strategies that worked for an upper-class, suburban property should have been just as successful at a diverse, urban property. What was said and what got done were two very different things. I learned to document all communication in writing.

Advice to Management

One size does not fit all.

No room for advancement if you are not a relative.

Former Employee - Property Manager
    Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They pay their bills. Benefits were good but over the past 6 years have really went downhill.

Cons

Corporate office is full of relatives. Family members of the owners are given jobs over long term employees regardless of experience. They are very out of touch with their properties. Very vague on employee policies, they change to suit their needs.

Advice to Management

Spend less time surrounding yourself with friends, family and more time focusing on your properties.

7. Satisfaction based on department

I worked at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation is competitive for office employees and management is understanding of time off needed for personal time. There are several talented individuals that work for the company and a lot of job security.

Cons

A very negative environment in some departments. Many managers turn a blind eye to issues with personnel due to the length of time they have worked at the company and loyalty to personal relationships. Very much a family based company, if you would like to be promoted, often a family member has already taken the position. It is extremely hard to be fired, which is great for those who are concerned about stability but a mess for those who are hard workers, as many of the other employees don't pull their own weight. High turnover in certain positions due to this issue.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the output of employees and weed out those who aren't doing their job. It will be hard to hold on to the good employees unless the bad eggs are addressed.

8. Great People...OK Pay

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family-owned, great co-workers, benefits, vacation time, sick time, apartment discount, holiday parties.

Cons

Pay, open on some holidays, managers want to keep you instead of promote you, a lot of competition, working weekends. They want you to look professional and sell your community, but depending on what property you are working at, the pay you get may not be able to afford expensive clothes or to live in their apartments.

Advice to Management

Share management opportunities company - wide as some Property Managers tend to want to hold on to you forever and not promote you.

9. I can't imagine working for a better management company

Current Employee - Management in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Management in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunities for career growth are obvious as most of the managers and many of the supervisors at Barrett & Stokely have been promoted from within their ranks. Over my several years of employment, I was encouraged to acquire new management skills, to achieve industry designations, and to take on more responsibilities, all of which I did.

Cons

"You can't please all the people all of the time" yet the management of this company cares and will address the concerns of its employees. In spite of significant growth over 30+ years the Stokelys and the Barretts remain very much involved in its leadership. Growth brings with it new responsibilities and this company recognizes and is committed to meeting them. Recent examples include new wellness and training initiatives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Out of touch with employees

Former Employee - Maintenance in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do pay their bills, so no contractors calling wanting to know where their money is. They seem to actually want to make the property look better.

Cons

Not willing to listen to employees at all. Over all upper management seems like they really don't care about the face of the company (hourly employees) opinions. Have never heard of a property management company that does not get the Maintenance staff cold weather gear until here.

Advice to Management

maybe ask the "common" employee for suggestions every once in awhile and actually listen instead of waiting to reply.

Employees at ground level great, but company evaluations are wrong.

I worked at Barrett & Stokely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was fair for the work and they did offer housing if needed, at a discounted rate.

Cons

I was 'let go' due to the fact I did not stand up when I greeted a customer. There was no warning, or telling me that I need to fix my actions, but a simple release from the company simply because I did not stand up. Think about that for a moment.

RSS Feed </> Embed