Barrett & Stokely

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dennis Barrett

Satisfaction based on department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe compensation is competitive for office employees and management is understanding of time off needed for personal time. There are several talented individuals that work for the company and a lot of job security.

ConsA very negative environment in some departments. Many managers turn a blind eye to issues with personnel due to the length of time they have worked at the company and loyalty to personal relationships. Very much a family based company, if you would like to be promoted, often a family member has already taken the position. It is extremely hard to be fired, which is great for those who are concerned about stability but a mess for those who are hard workers, as many of the other employees don't pull their own weight. High turnover in certain positions due to this issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the output of employees and weed out those who aren't doing their job. It will be hard to hold on to the good employees unless the bad eggs are addressed.

No room for advancement if you are not a relative.

Property Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThey pay their bills. Benefits were good but over the past 6 years have really went downhill.

ConsCorporate office is full of relatives. Family members of the owners are given jobs over long term employees regardless of experience. They are very out of touch with their properties. Very vague on employee policies, they change to suit their needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less time surrounding yourself with friends, family and more time focusing on your properties.

Great People...OK Pay

Leasing Agent (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsFamily-owned, great co-workers, benefits, vacation time, sick time, apartment discount, holiday parties.

ConsPay, open on some holidays, managers want to keep you instead of promote you, a lot of competition, working weekends. They want you to look professional and sell your community, but depending on what property you are working at, the pay you get may not be able to afford expensive clothes or to live in their apartments.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare management opportunities company - wide as some Property Managers tend to want to hold on to you forever and not promote you.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I can't imagine working for a better management company

Management (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe opportunities for career growth are obvious as most of the managers and many of the supervisors at Barrett & Stokely have been promoted from within their ranks. Over my several years of employment, I was encouraged to acquire new management skills, to achieve industry designations, and to take on more responsibilities, all of which I did.

Cons"You can't please all the people all of the time" yet the management of this company cares and will address the concerns of its employees. In spite of significant growth over 30+ years the Stokelys and the Barretts remain very much involved in its leadership. Growth brings with it new responsibilities and this company recognizes and is committed to meeting them. Recent examples include new wellness and training initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Out of touch with employees

Maintenance (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsThey do pay their bills, so no contractors calling wanting to know where their money is. They seem to actually want to make the property look better.

ConsNot willing to listen to employees at all. Over all upper management seems like they really don't care about the face of the company (hourly employees) opinions. Have never heard of a property management company that does not get the Maintenance staff cold weather gear until here.

Advice to Senior Managementmaybe ask the "common" employee for suggestions every once in awhile and actually listen instead of waiting to reply.

Employees at ground level great, but company evaluations are wrong.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay was fair for the work and they did offer housing if needed, at a discounted rate.

ConsI was 'let go' due to the fact I did not stand up when I greeted a customer. There was no warning, or telling me that I need to fix my actions, but a simple release from the company simply because I did not stand up. Think about that for a moment.

Property Manager

Property Manager (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat place to work for! Every company has room for growth in employee relations, but overall I am proud to work for Barrett and Stokely.
    Specific Pros are;
    Great work/life balance.
    Support for work related issues is there when needed.
    Salary and benefits are fair for the position.
    Training is there for those who want it.

ConsThe only con I can think of would be that senior management can seem out of touch with the individual property.

Company Information

Regional Property Manager (Former Employee)

Prosprivate company, very established
    very personable, listened to ideas
    long term employees, very stable company
    good communication, treated people well

ConsThe company is on the small side so growth opportunities are slim. There was a need for more IT support for the field employees at the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore corporate support for educational development such as certified apartment manager or certified property manager for management. More leasing classes and development for staff at the properties.

Worked for Barrett & Stokely? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barrett & Stokely reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barrett & Stokely CEO Dennis Barrett. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Barrett & Stokely employees.