Barrington James Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
13 reviews filtered by
3.8
Dan Barrington

1. Awesome company that invest in their staff and reward hard work.

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Barrington James is really one of the best companies I've worked for. Closely run by the owner, Dan Barrington, along with Directors and Management. No matter your experience, if you are hungry to be successful and earn money, Barrington James will give you a shot. Forever investing in the company and staff, we now have offices in Europe, Asia, US and the UK with more offices to open as a future plan. If you want the opportunity to get into management or work in a global environment with opportunity to work in New York to name a few, then join Barrington James. Oh and if you do, Team Contracts is the one to ask for!

Cons

No cons. Recruitment as an industry is not for everyone, some people just don't the capacity to run their own business/desk.

Advice to Management

Let's open up an office in California! either that or Florida, people love sun!

WORST PLACE IN HISTORY. DO NOT WORK FOR THESE PEOPLE! NC DEPARTMENT OF LABOR NEEDS TO CHECK THIS PLACE!!!!

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Barrington James

Pros

Nothing about this place was good. Pure horrible!

Cons

So the contract says 8:30am to 6pm... They make you come in at 7am and leave at 8 pm and if you leave on time which they consider "early leave" they will take money off your check. They will tell you they are a growing company and they are not, they have never met their quarterly goals! They put so much pressure on you to get positions but yet you don't get commission when it's filled. There is no way you can make money in this terrible place! No opportunities for growth! Everything is just a straight up lie! It's a SWEATSHOP!!! DO NOT WORK HERE! This place is a 0 starts !!! They lie to candidates all the time about "open positions" just to get leads and make their recruiters go after the companies you are interviewing for. BE AWARE!!! All the "open jobs" are fake. It's put out there just so they can get a resume and submit it to every company and ruin your chances of actually getting the job. They submit you to companies who they have no contacts with just to get a "bit" and maybe work with them in the future. No company wants to work with them because of their crappy terms! If you are candidate give your resume out to any other vendor and if you are a person who is looking for a job this is not the company you want to work for...TRUST ME!

Advice to Management

Everything is horrible! Don't trust these people! no benefits are ever provided working with them even if you are full-time!

Mar 12, 2015

Thanks for your comments, obviously everybody is welcome to their own opinion and recruitment and indeed Barrington James are not for everyone.

It is hard work and takes a certain individual to
    ... More

3. Great company fantastic career prospects for the ambitious person.

Current Employee - Manager in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Manager in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at Barrington James (more than 5 years)

Pros

I joined Barrington James over five years ago at consultant level.
    In this time I have progressed through the ranks to Manager level.
    In 2014 I was given the opportunity to relocate and open a brand new office in Frankfurt, Germany for Barrington James.
    My move was seemless and they made sure that the move was as simple as possible.
    Every promise that I have had form the business has been fulfilled and although I have achieved a lot in this time there are still more options and progression for me to keep my challenging nature satisfied.
    I have read the negative reviews on here and smiled to myself as I as well as the rest of the Managers and Directors of Barrington James are walking proof that this company have and will stick to their promises. All they ask in return is that you work hard and treat this like it is your own business. If someone is looking for a career move with options and are prepared to commit to working hard and smart then this is the place for you.
    I can easily say that I have my best work memories but also some of my best social memories all because of Barrington James.
    As for remuneration the Comission structure is what this company is about and if you work hard and create your success then the rewards are well worth the time and effort put in.
    I am fortunate enough to be a part of the share scheme at Barrington James which further rewards my efforts and loyalty to this cause.

Cons

Do not join us if you are not self motivated.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Best company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment, amazing incentives, they invest in their staff and provide continuous training and development. You can count on the management team to support people willing to go the extra mile! One of the best commission structure in the industry and great career growth!

Cons

If you are looking to sit back and relax this is not a career for you. This is a sales job, people with determination and ambition will succeed.

Advice to Management

Don't change anything!

Amazing company to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the culture and the people at Barrington James. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly from day one.They have amazing training schemes which aid personal development from the beginning. The commission structure is amazing, no caps and you can earn commission in your first month!

Cons

It can be long hours and hard work sometimes, with various targets that must be met. But for a target driven individual I would consider these a Pro!

Advice to Management

I wouldn't change the culture. The fast career progression makes this job appealing to younger staff and also staff who want to progress through the ranks quickly and make a name for themself

Mar 12, 2015Global Internal Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your review and for recommending Barrington James to others.

As a current employer, you'll know how proud we are of our culture and great working environment. It's great to hear that
    ... More

Best training received in my sales career over the last 15 years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working for Barrington James is the culture and clear career path with unbelievable training. I have been in sales for 15 years and have never received such comprehensive training and support. I feel that within the last year have improved as both a consultant and leader thanks to the best in class training received.

Cons

The hours can sometimes be long but the rewards make these hours worth doing.

Advice to Management

Keep it up,

Unique company with fantastic opportunities to develop a long term career. Outstanding.

Current Employee - Consultant in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Environment, camaraderie, training, incentives, Senior management.
    They keys to success are given to you from the start.

Cons

Base salary maybe but if you're in it for a high basic then you're in the wrong job!!

Advice to Management

Focus on developing the quality you've got, continue with the office environment which is unique to any company, not just recruitment.

9. Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Barrington James full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you enjoy drinking and like working on a hangover this is the company for you.
    They used to have good training.
    You don't have to go into work looking smart.

Cons

They can't retain staff
    The management has their favourites and everyone else disappears into the background
    The average age of a consultant is about 18
    Senior management brush bullying under the carpet
    You get warnings for turning up after 8 or leaving before 6.30 (contracts are 8.30-5.30) but they sugar coat this with the term "not putting enough effort in"
    The CEO is so awkward he can't even make eye contact with you until he's had a drink
    They actively encourage you to lie to candidates and clients to get business
    They have very little ability or desire to develop relationships and are only after quick wins at any cost.

Advice to Management

Bring Steve James back!!!

Apr 13, 2015

Thanks for your review of Barrington James, it’s always flattering when competitors take time to review us.

I am pleased that your comments do give us the opportunity to explain some of our
    ... More

The best company I have ever worked for (bold, perhaps a litle cheesey but true)

I have been working at Barrington James

Pros

One of the best things about working for BJ is the employee culture. The commission structure is brilliant as is the training (especially for new Recruiters).

All staff have the opportunity to develop of a successful career, relocate overseas (if wanted) and become a share holder in a global business.

The staff incentives and rewards are incredible. Trips to Vegas, Miami, Dubai and New York. Directors lunches. A day off for your birthday. Summer parties. Trips to Orlando etc. The list goes on and on.

You can earn over £100k+ dressed in a pair of jeans. You'll spend a day packing your suitcase as you prepare to fly to Las Vegas on a holiday that the company are paying for! You simply can't get that anywhere else.

The company takes great pride in staff development, ensuring this is passed on to clients and candidates in the form of great service.

Cons

This is a sales role so you get the pressure of working towards an ongoing target, and once you've hit that, you're then expect to carry on and over achieve.

Underperformers and 'Steady Eddies' are supported and offered constant motivation and development, but some people simply can't join the dots. If you haven't got the correct work ethic and levels of self-motivation, you'll struggle to succeed in this environment as most of the recruiters are competitive and want to be the best.

Advice to Management

Carry on motivating staff with great incentives. Remind staff about the "share scheme" and how life changing this could be!

Avoid at all costs

I have been working at Barrington James

Pros

They will take on anyone, literally anyone.

Cons

I am amazed clients and candidates use this company, if they knew what went on behind closed doors. They are hopeless, nauseatingly incestuous and unprofessional. The turnover of staff is unbelievable. They are desperately trying to be the Wolf of Wall Street, but it's more like the Chickens of Crawley.

Advice to Management

Close the door and throw away the key

Mar 19, 2015

Thank you for your comments.

Whilst we do not 'take on anyone' you do seem to have slipped through the cracks!

We are proud of our interview process and ask any person we offer a job to the