Barrington James Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.3
Dan Barrington

1. Such a rewarding place to work!!!

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Barrington James has so much to offer whether you are a recruitment consultant just staring off or a Sr. Manager looking to grow into a Director level role. No matter the day or time, there's always an abundance of energy in the office and a great vibe that makes everyone want to succeed. I've worked for several recruitment agencies prior to joining BJ and this company has been by far the most exciting and laid back company. The management team is extremely supportive but doesn't have micro-manage like many recruitment companies. You can truly build your own desk and business, allowing you to be a true entrepreneur. The commission structure is excellent and is uncapped, so most are capable of earning well over $100k the first year. BJ also has fantastic incentives: Directors Lunches, High-rollers club (Vegas, Dubai, Miami, etc), team events, traveling options (global conferences), performance events, etc. The most incredible part of BJ is that the CEO, Dan Barrington, takes time to really know who you are and will even take you out to lunch or evening drinks out. He is extremely well-liked by everyone and believes having fun at work is an important and essential ingrediant for success.

Cons

Like all recruitment roles, long hours and hard work is needed but Barrington James will reward you for your efforts and motivate you to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for being wonderful mentors/leaders for our us future managers at Barrington James.

Global Opportunities that are unrivaled.

Current Employee - Usa Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Usa Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Barrington James

Pros

This is a fantastic organisation with genuine opportunities to progress your career on a Global scale. Every member of staff is friendly, supportive and ambitious and regardless of seniority everyone remain accessible, which all contributes to the current and continued success of the company on a global level. The training is second to none, everyone who joins, regardless of previous experience, is subject to expert training and guidance from seasoned industry experts and so ultimately everyone has an equal opportunity and platform to build a successful career. I personally was given the opportunity to relocate to New York City from the UK at just 24 years of age and have had the pleasure of seeing the US teams grow from strength to strength in both success and numbers, along with creating new opportunities for more ambitious sales people to come and live in the greatest city in the world and take their careers to the next level!

Cons

There really aren't any for the company or the people. All I would say is that recruitment as a career genuinely isn't for everyone. It's a competitive sales based industry and often people don't realize the work and time that goes into making a success of it. If you're ever unsure of whether to explore recruitment as a tangible career avenue by all means reach out to one of our expert internal recruitment consultants who will honestly and unbiasedly advise whether your credentials and attitude could be a good fit for recruitment and/or Barrington James.

Awesome company that invest in their staff and reward hard work.

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Barrington James is really one of the best companies I've worked for. Closely run by the owner, Dan Barrington, along with Directors and Management. No matter your experience, if you are hungry to be successful and earn money, Barrington James will give you a shot. Forever investing in the company and staff, we now have offices in Europe, Asia, US and the UK with more offices to open as a future plan. If you want the opportunity to get into management or work in a global environment with opportunity to work in New York to name a few, then join Barrington James. Oh and if you do, Team Contracts is the one to ask for!

Cons

No cons. Recruitment as an industry is not for everyone, some people just don't the capacity to run their own business/desk.

Advice to Management

Let's open up an office in California! either that or Florida, people love sun!

WORST PLACE IN HISTORY. DO NOT WORK FOR THESE PEOPLE! NC DEPARTMENT OF LABOR NEEDS TO CHECK THIS PLACE!!!!

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Barrington James

Pros

Nothing about this place was good. Pure horrible!

Cons

So the contract says 8:30am to 6pm... They make you come in at 7am and leave at 8 pm and if you leave on time which they consider "early leave" they will take money off your check. They will tell you they are a growing company and they are not, they have never met their quarterly goals! They put so much pressure on you to get positions but yet you don't get commission when it's filled. There is no way you can make money in this terrible place! No opportunities for growth! Everything is just a straight up lie! It's a SWEATSHOP!!! DO NOT WORK HERE! This place is a 0 starts !!! They lie to candidates all the time about "open positions" just to get leads and make their recruiters go after the companies you are interviewing for. BE AWARE!!! All the "open jobs" are fake. It's put out there just so they can get a resume and submit it to every company and ruin your chances of actually getting the job. They submit you to companies who they have no contacts with just to get a "bit" and maybe work with them in the future. No company wants to work with them because of their crappy terms! If you are candidate give your resume out to any other vendor and if you are a person who is looking for a job this is not the company you want to work for...TRUST ME!

Advice to Management

Everything is horrible! Don't trust these people! no benefits are ever provided working with them even if you are full-time!

Mar 12, 2015

Thanks for your comments, obviously everybody is welcome to their own opinion and recruitment and indeed Barrington James are not for everyone. It is hard work and takes a certain individual to ... More

6. About Barrington James Pte Ltd (Asia Pacific)

Current Employee - Regulatory Affairs and Quality Assurance Search Consultant in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Barrington James full-time

Pros

Barrington James is a leading Global Pharmaceutical recruiter. With offices in the UK, Switzerland and Singapore, we offer an international presence and are able to provide the most exciting and challenging positions for the industry’s professionals. I am part of the team of experienced recruiters who source the very best of the pharmaceutical industry's professionals for contract, interim, and permanent positions throughout Asia Pacific. I handle the REGULATORY AFFAIRS AND QUALITY ASSURANCE positions for my firm across the Asia Pacific. Great coaching, leadership and awesome peer supports.

Cons

Nothing at all for now

7. Best company I've worked for

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative, friendly, competitive, rewarding. A company which gives you everything you need to succeed and rewards you like no-one else when you do your job! Coming from a background spanning 6 years in sales, Barrington James are truly inspirational. They make everyone feel welcome and part of the team and work closely with each individual to help them succeed. The ONLY reason someone will fail here is if they are not committed enough. If you haven't recruited before, Barrington James can teach you through it's established and specialist internal training team. If you fancy the opportunity to work abroad, New York, North Carolina, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Germany, Dubai and more, there is the real ability to do that at Barrington James. Hard work and determination pay off like nothing I've ever seen - the commission structures are amazing and with 41% of the company being owned by shareholders, shares are a REALISTIC goal you can reach. I've been here less than 2 years now, I've been promoted twice in that time and have shares in the company. In my first year I doubled my salary from my last job and this was after taking a pay cut on my base to join. I really brought in to the company ethos, the fantastic management team and the passion everyone shows on a daily basis. It's for that reason I have succeeded so far. If you have any questions about what it's like or how it could suit you, speak to one of our internal recruitment team who will be honest. It is hard work, it is long hours, it can be stressful and it's not for everyone. BUT, you can make a career here and earn some pretty good cash whilst you do.

Cons

Recruitment is not for everyone. Long hours, low base salaries but as I said, if you're looking at recruitment to be home by 5pm then you're looking in the wrong place!

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. Continue the incentives, continue the support of people who deserve it.

8. It is What it is

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Barrington James full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can be a good laugh A good mix of recruiting personalities Good training to staff Some good incentives Reasonably friendly Staff

Cons

Some Obvious Favoritism toward certain consultants The whole Contract division is a bit of a shambles and they seem to have one rule for perm staff members another for Contracts. And their Fee's are very odd based on 6 months even if they are a day just to help figures does need to stop You feel like they would love to be trading stocks on the floor No real job security There can be a negative atmosphere

Advice to Management

A lot of people go unnoticed because they don't join in with the social but are great on the phone Trust your consultants you don't need to hold their hand for everything Stop ramming the whole we are the best you can admit where you are not performing and encourage people to help building on it. Lets not pretend that just because someone leaves means they "couldn't recruit" There are reasons but once it happens try staying in contact keep up the incentives it is recruitment it does become stressful

The place where I see myself in 2 years of time. Because I am still a student of MD.

I have been working at Barrington James

Pros

Its just what word can I use. Glamorous. Its a dream to work here.

Cons

Couldn't be any.I can't think of any right now. Still waiting to join one day.

Advice to Management

Hire fresher's, they are the future. You were the newbie once.

May 21, 2015 – Member of the Senior Management Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'd like to ask you to contact our Head of Internal Recruitment, Dean Govier on +44 1293 776644 e:dgovier@barringtonjames.com. We employ a ... More

Good place to start and learn, but not sustainable

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Barrington James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good career path Lively environment with some fantastic people working there Good commission scheme - can certainly earn well

Cons

Ridiculous KPI's that are used to hit you with a stick If you want to progress, you have to be a puppet Some people there would sell there grandmother to get a deal instead of you

Advice to Management

stop focussing so much on the KPI's and focus on the results. There are some great recruiters in the company, but just because they can recruit, that doesnt mean they can manage...

Consultant

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of deadwood left, so it opened the door to internal promotions and opportunities, generally people are great here, some new blood have made big figures, so much improved on last year. you can wear smart shorts in the summer, beat that!!! Recruitment is what it is, people will come and go, try and keep the best ones, training is pretty good.

Cons

It's true only the strong survive, if you are struggling it can get tough, generally the best recruiters have "it" and the ones that don't like a moan. There a reason people fail, the truth it's always the individual.

Advice to Management

would be good to have the experience working at international offices if this could be added.

Apr 30, 2015

Thanks for your review!! Glad you like working here and yes, we are much improved from last year, in fact as I hope you appreciate we are always improving. Deadwood or not we aim to offer ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed