Barrios Technology Reviews

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014

4.2

Sandra G. (Sandy) Johnson

excellent culture but limited growth due to industry.

I have been working at Barrios Technology full-time

Pros

Management truly cares about employees. the job is very interesting the pros definitely outweigh the cons..extremely challenging work with human space flight kept the job dynamic dynamic.

Cons

Limited job growth. Limited career path. Salary.
    much of the cons were really dictated by the contract as barrios was a subcontractor to USA. the nature of aerospace work is very dependent on the contract.

when possible try to encourage employee career development

Cares about its employees

Current Employee - Senior Staff Professional  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Professional in Houston, TX

I have been working at Barrios Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Best small business company supporting NASA contracts in the area.
    Company wants employees to be happy with their job and hours.
    Sandy Johnson

Cons

Smaller companies disadvantages, doesn't have the deep pockets of a larger company

Great Management

Current Employee - Senior Web Designer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Web Designer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Barrios Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Sandy really cares about her employee's and makes sure she takes care of them with her benefit package and minimizes yearly increases in cost.

Cons

I don't have any cons. They are a great company and still offer the ability to bank comp time as needed

Keep up the good work!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company cares about employees.

I have been working at Barrios Technology full-time

Pros

Small enough that the President of the company knows the names of the employees. Mid-level managers encourage a healthy work-life balance. Family oriented, and flexible with hours (comp, OT, etc).

Cons

The company is small so moving around within the company may be challenging. Health insurance deductibles are high, but a funded HSA helps offset costs.

This company is truly employee-centered

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Barrios Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Every company proclaims something to the effect that "employees are our most valuable resource". Sadly, for most companies this is pure rubbish. Barrios Tech is The Real Deal when it comes to truly treating the employee as MVPs. Whenever I went to HR for anything--even asking simple questions--they always went the extra mile to make sure I was fully taken care of. Also, the chance to "work your way up"--the buzzword is Upward Mobility--is spot-on with this company. In 2 words: Work Here!

Cons

Not enough beer at the bi-annual company party (just kidding--they always had plenty o' hamburgers, hot dogs, and brew!)

1) Keep up the good work. 2) Stay small--this is what keeps you awesome and agile.

Overall satisfactory

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Barrios Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Small company allows workers easy access to upper management and executives. Flex and comp time opportunities. Family oriented and encourages work/life balance.

Cons

High deductible medical insurance. Being a small business puts Barrios somewhat at the mercy of its larger contractor partners, such as Jacobs and USA. Career development opportunities are somewhat limited due to small company size.

Continue to look for ways to grow the company while keeping the family/personal life focus.

Engineer

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Barrios Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Barrios takes excellent care of its employees. This is a great company to work for. HR is easy to work with and have taken care of all my family needs. The lower level management is understanding, flexible, and show a true interest in the employees.

Cons

Since this company is a small contractor for NASA JSC, there is not a great amount of upward mobility or career progression.

Keep doing what you are doing. Take care of your employees.

This company was a delight to work for!

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Barrios Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Preface: they are a contractor company with a contract to do engineering work on-site at NASA Johnson Space Center. They really catered to the employees. For instance, whenever I called HR about something, they got on it and resolved my issues pronto! Some corporate HR places act annoyed when you call them about stuff, but not barrios. Also, they were very big into having family-oriented picnics and functions.

Cons

Not much opportunity for upward mobility. I was an engineer and didn't want to go over to the Dark Side of management, so this was no big deal to me. To some of my coworkers, however, this was a thorn in their side.

Keep up the good work! You are renowned as being the best company to work for on the ESCG contract!

Disappointed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Barrios Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay and flex time in some cases.

Cons

Very few opportunities for professional growth unless you're good friends with the boss or related to a NASA civil servant.

Engage your employees and make use of their skills, knowledge, education, and experience. Find ways to build your teams' morale and praise your people. Otherwise, they will keep leaving for better opportunities.

Experience has been pretty much uneventful.

Current Employee - Principal Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Barrios Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

A very family oriented organization. Barrios attempts to have a number of worthwhile after hours events throughout the year. Standard benefits package; medical, dental, 401, education reimbursement, etc. Can cash out PDO (personal days off) if your not one to use up all your authorized time off.

Cons

High deductible on the medical; especially for family coverage. Allows the use of a medical flexible spending account so this could be considered a pro or con depending on a person's medical benefits usage/habits/needs.

Keep up the good work.

Worked for Barrios Technology? Contribute to the Community!