Barrios Technology

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sandra G. (Sandy) Johnson

Great Management

Senior Web Designer (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsSandy really cares about her employee's and makes sure she takes care of them with her benefit package and minimizes yearly increases in cost.

ConsI don't have any cons. They are a great company and still offer the ability to bank comp time as needed

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

This company cares about employees.

ProsSmall enough that the President of the company knows the names of the employees. Mid-level managers encourage a healthy work-life balance. Family oriented, and flexible with hours (comp, OT, etc).

ConsThe company is small so moving around within the company may be challenging. Health insurance deductibles are high, but a funded HSA helps offset costs.

This company is truly employee-centered

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsEvery company proclaims something to the effect that "employees are our most valuable resource". Sadly, for most companies this is pure rubbish. Barrios Tech is The Real Deal when it comes to truly treating the employee as MVPs. Whenever I went to HR for anything--even asking simple questions--they always went the extra mile to make sure I was fully taken care of. Also, the chance to "work your way up"--the buzzword is Upward Mobility--is spot-on with this company. In 2 words: Work Here!

ConsNot enough beer at the bi-annual company party (just kidding--they always had plenty o' hamburgers, hot dogs, and brew!)

Advice to Senior Management1) Keep up the good work. 2) Stay small--this is what keeps you awesome and agile.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall satisfactory

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsSmall company allows workers easy access to upper management and executives. Flex and comp time opportunities. Family oriented and encourages work/life balance.

ConsHigh deductible medical insurance. Being a small business puts Barrios somewhat at the mercy of its larger contractor partners, such as Jacobs and USA. Career development opportunities are somewhat limited due to small company size.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to look for ways to grow the company while keeping the family/personal life focus.

Engineer

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsBarrios takes excellent care of its employees. This is a great company to work for. HR is easy to work with and have taken care of all my family needs. The lower level management is understanding, flexible, and show a true interest in the employees.

ConsSince this company is a small contractor for NASA JSC, there is not a great amount of upward mobility or career progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Take care of your employees.

This company was a delight to work for!

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsPreface: they are a contractor company with a contract to do engineering work on-site at NASA Johnson Space Center. They really catered to the employees. For instance, whenever I called HR about something, they got on it and resolved my issues pronto! Some corporate HR places act annoyed when you call them about stuff, but not barrios. Also, they were very big into having family-oriented picnics and functions.

ConsNot much opportunity for upward mobility. I was an engineer and didn't want to go over to the Dark Side of management, so this was no big deal to me. To some of my coworkers, however, this was a thorn in their side.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! You are renowned as being the best company to work for on the ESCG contract!

Disappointed

Houston, TX

ProsDecent pay and flex time in some cases.

ConsVery few opportunities for professional growth unless you're good friends with the boss or related to a NASA civil servant.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage your employees and make use of their skills, knowledge, education, and experience. Find ways to build your teams' morale and praise your people. Otherwise, they will keep leaving for better opportunities.

Experience has been pretty much uneventful.

Principal Analyst (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsA very family oriented organization. Barrios attempts to have a number of worthwhile after hours events throughout the year. Standard benefits package; medical, dental, 401, education reimbursement, etc. Can cash out PDO (personal days off) if your not one to use up all your authorized time off.

ConsHigh deductible on the medical; especially for family coverage. Allows the use of a medical flexible spending account so this could be considered a pro or con depending on a person's medical benefits usage/habits/needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Barrios Tech

Principal Propulsion Engineer (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsExcellent company to work with

Conscommunications are not quite up to par, job cuts where already in place by NASA and Barrios was still hiring for them

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to keep communications at the upper level working seamlessly

Overall - positive.

Houston, TX

ProsOpportunity to work in high profile Aerospace fields. Family oriented. Management is accessible at all levels and looks out after its people.

ConsSmall company, so limited opportunities for growth or even lateral movement. Tends to get overshadowed by its customers. Some information is very compartmentalized. Very local. Needs to find a way to broaden its customer base.

Advice to Senior ManagementChallenge is to continue to provide opportunities, but keep the family-style environment and managerial access intact.

Worked for Barrios Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barrios Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barrios Technology CEO Sandra G. (Sandy) Johnson. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Barrios Technology employees.