Barrister Global Services Network

Updated December 17, 2014
2.8

Barrister Global Services Network CEO Debra D. Bowers
Debra D. Bowers

Pros
  • I have great experience and knowledge working with Barrister (in 3 reviews)

• I gained lot of experience at Barrister and learn't many new things (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Waiting 30 - 45 minutes in the Tech Support queue while on-site is totally UNACCEPTABLE (in 6 reviews)

• Everything going fast here, it is sometimes challenging to keep up (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with clear goals and an entrepreneurial spirit todday

Current Employee - Director in Hammond, LA
    Current Employee - Director in Hammond, LA

I have been working at Barrister Global Services Network full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement, strong culture, driven leadership, open door policy

Cons

stressful, work/life balance, managing multiple priorities

Endless rules and regulations. An absolute pain as a technician.

Former Employee - Technician
    Former Employee - Technician

I worked at Barrister Global Services Network as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They are on top of each job so there is plenty of communication.

Cons

Wow. Ok for starters email after email after email reminding me of their policies and procedures which seem to be endless. Low pay for unrealistically high expectations of the technician. 13% for instant pay, really? What the? Every time I have done jobs for them I am working with someone new. They must hire and fire all the time.

Wow, umm. Well it all trickles down from the head honcho who I believe is a woman. Your company is not a technician friendly company at all. The entire company needs restructuring. You treat your technicians as if they WILL screw up. Your endless rules and regulations prove that. Barrister expects next to perfection for CRAP PAY. There you have it.

Positive Experience for Barrister.

Current Employee - Independentfor Onsite Service Work in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Independentfor Onsite Service Work in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Barrister Global Services Network as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pays agreed to price. Online system is good. You can negotiate your terms. $45.00 is a joke so make them pay more..

Cons

Dislike 13% discount for speedpay. Dislike waiting 10 to 30 minutes on hold.

Get more phone help. Tell them to smile once and a while.

A good company if you want to freelance

Current Employee - Computer Technician
    Current Employee - Computer Technician

Pros

Barrister sends out multiple daily job opportunities, mostly for single, one day projects in your local area. You can often do 2 or 3 or 4 of these projects in a single day if you plan accordingly. You may occasionally get offers for projects lasting a week or 2 or a few months. It's up to you to answer these e-mails quickly if you want to do the job, as other Barrister contractors might beat you to them.

Cons

Barrister pays for you completed jobs only once a month. If you want to get paid sooner, they take a percentage of your pay. Each job requires a lot of paperwork to fill out, scan, e-mail, fax, etc. If you don't cross every T and dot every I, you will have to resubmit the paperwork, or get fined a certain dollar amount out of your pay.

Please make the job e-mails easier to read. It is often not clear what the job entails. Make the paperwork process easier - online forms would be much easier to fill out. Currently, contractors must print out the paperwork, fill it in manually, scan, e-mail, fax, etc.

DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Hammond, LA
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Hammond, LA

I have been working at Barrister Global Services Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* If you didn't know how to multi-task before you starred, you know now.
    * the phrase CYA is an amazing professional lesson that will take you far.

Cons

*The workload is so much that although an employee may be awesome at their job, they still feel and are viewed unsuccessful because the workload placed upon them is extremely unreasonable.
    * Having to skirt around the truth with customers, clients and technicians. Boldface unethical practices, ESPECIALLY when it comes to technicians, The company gets out of paying them because of technicalities.
    * This company hires 5 people and only intends to keep 2. At least once every two weeks a crop of people are fired, for no apparent reason other than "you're not working out."

The worst company a technician can work for.

Current Employee - Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Barrister Global Services Network part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is nothing that i can put in this column with a straight face.

Cons

Every time it comes to getting paid. There is an Issue. I just got off the phone with a CSR . What a lovely conversation it was. They refuse to pay me for a trip to a job site i was sent on. I wait 2 hours for a part that never arrives, return the next day to complete it. The CSR basically accuses me of being a dishonest worm, stating " We have alot of technicians that purposely go to sites to milk the jobs". Trash an honest tech over a 45.00 site fee because "sometimes techs take advantage" Class acts! I had to fight for weeks over a "No-Show Fine" on my Tech File. There website used to send in documents doesn't work on any browser Chrome,Firefox. They have the worst office staff of ANY company i have worked for in my entire professional career. They are lazy,disorganized and extremely unprofessional. This place is a total Nightmare. Absolutely revolting company to work for.

North Americas First Women owned independent vendor provider!! You guys are doing great!! keep up the scumbag practice of not paying the people that earn you money!!

Don't expect to be paid high $$ or paid quickly as a contractor

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Barrister Global Services Network as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Can pick and choose which jobs to do. Will pay higher than standard $45 per job if you counter their offer. Customer service agents try hard, but have to work within corporate rules.

Cons

Customer service and technical support have ridiculous (Average 20+ minute) wait times. Have to accept lower pay to get paid faster. "Terms pay" takes > 1 month. Technician web site is slow and have to call in for some tasks. Expected to return parts that should be thrown away and don't include return label in package. Minimal training. Did I mention that the web site was slow and confusing?

Keep sending out those emails reminding everyone of the dress code.

Barrister Continues to GROW!

I have been working at Barrister Global Services Network

Pros

We have been around for 35 years and we continue to grow. As with any growing company we are learning better ways to do things and gaining more and more knowledge. As any human, we all learn from our mistakes. Barrister is a company that is run by humans. No single company is the epitome of perfection. We do strive for excellence and satisfaction to our customers. This is the reason we have a SOP. We have over 13,000 qualified technicians nationwide who we send to our customers to represent our company. We entrust them with our name to perform the best work possible. We have many devoted, well organized technicians who are responsible and do the job correctly and represent the company to the utmost standards. Then there are a tiny amount who do not; who resort to a complaint forum to do business; who do not get their issues resolved by working with our dedicated team of employees and only mislead others. As with any growing company run by human beings, errors do occur and we strive to resolve them in a timely manner. Everything is agreed upon in the call for the work order. If you as a tech do not agree to the terms or believe yourself to be capable of the scope of work, you are not being forced to take the job and can say no, resolving any unforeseen circumstances where you could make a mistake which costs the company and possibly yourself.

As a current employee, I see the techs getting paid for work done. I see each department working to bring satisfaction to our customers as well as our techs. I see the Bowers’ involvement in everything that plays a part in this company with their dedication and open door policy. These are not terrible people to work for, in fact they are amazing human beings who do care and strive for excellence. If you aren’t someone that can keep up the pace of excellence then you will get left behind. I am very proud to be a part of this growing company.

Cons

Perception received from incompetent techs.

A fairly decent company to contract with.

Current Employee - Technician in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Technician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Barrister Global Services Network as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is almost steady work. If you have the necessary skills set and not reluctant to communicate your salary preferences, you may also get calls from them.

Cons

They take much too long to pay; net 30? They charge too much for "speed pay", 13%?

Faster pay, please.

Run, Fast.

I worked at Barrister Global Services Network (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the employees are incredible, hard working and are sincerely passionate about their jobs.

Cons

The company is just bad. They treat their employees horribly. The office politics is killing the company. They lose good, hard working people over petty issues. Their accounting practices for their clients is.. questionable. They expect you to kiss the ground they walk on all because they offer insurance (bad insurance but it's insurance) and PTO that they try to steal from you if you have to leave early due to illness or whatever. Every day you are inundated with emails berating you, your team's performance, your performance, your technicians, etc. They truly only care about themselves. There are employees who have been with the company for years and have only received one pay raise, there's a few who have NEVER received one and when they ask they get the run-around.

Stop blaming the little man for the failures of upper management. Give pay raises without someone having to ask for one. Promote people who are qualified, not just people who the management finds "hot". And most importantly, stop with the "issues" on paying the technicians.