Barrister Global Services Network

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

Barrister Global Services Network CEO Debra D. Bowers
Debra D. Bowers

Pros
  • I have great experience and knowledge working with Barrister (in 3 reviews)

• I gained lot of experience at Barrister and learn't many new things (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Waiting 30 - 45 minutes in the Tech Support queue while on-site is totally UNACCEPTABLE (in 6 reviews)

• Everything going fast here, it is sometimes challenging to keep up (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Barrister Continues to GROW!

Pros

We have been around for 35 years and we continue to grow. As with any growing company we are learning better ways to do things and gaining more and more knowledge. As any human, we all learn from our mistakes. Barrister is a company that is run by humans. No single company is the epitome of perfection. We do strive for excellence and satisfaction to our customers. This is the reason we have a SOP. We have over 13,000 qualified technicians nationwide who we send to our customers to represent our company. We entrust them with our name to perform the best work possible. We have many devoted, well organized technicians who are responsible and do the job correctly and represent the company to the utmost standards. Then there are a tiny amount who do not; who resort to a complaint forum to do business; who do not get their issues resolved by working with our dedicated team of employees and only mislead others. As with any growing company run by human beings, errors do occur and we strive to resolve them in a timely manner. Everything is agreed upon in the call for the work order. If you as a tech do not agree to the terms or believe yourself to be capable of the scope of work, you are not being forced to take the job and can say no, resolving any unforeseen circumstances where you could make a mistake which costs the company and possibly yourself.

As a current employee, I see the techs getting paid for work done. I see each department working to bring satisfaction to our customers as well as our techs. I see the Bowers’ involvement in everything that plays a part in this company with their dedication and open door policy. These are not terrible people to work for, in fact they are amazing human beings who do care and strive for excellence. If you aren’t someone that can keep up the pace of excellence then you will get left behind. I am very proud to be a part of this growing company.

Cons

Perception received from incompetent techs.

A fairly decent company to contract with.

Current Employee - Technician  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Technician in Rochester, NY

Pros

There is almost steady work. If you have the necessary skills set and not reluctant to communicate your salary preferences, you may also get calls from them.

Cons

They take much too long to pay; net 30? They charge too much for "speed pay", 13%?

Faster pay, please.

Run, Fast.

Pros

Some of the employees are incredible, hard working and are sincerely passionate about their jobs.

Cons

The company is just bad. They treat their employees horribly. The office politics is killing the company. They lose good, hard working people over petty issues. Their accounting practices for their clients is.. questionable. They expect you to kiss the ground they walk on all because they offer insurance (bad insurance but it's insurance) and PTO that they try to steal from you if you have to leave early due to illness or whatever. Every day you are inundated with emails berating you, your team's performance, your performance, your technicians, etc. They truly only care about themselves. There are employees who have been with the company for years and have only received one pay raise, there's a few who have NEVER received one and when they ask they get the run-around.

Stop blaming the little man for the failures of upper management. Give pay raises without someone having to ask for one. Promote people who are qualified, not just people who the management finds "hot". And most importantly, stop with the "issues" on paying the technicians.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very hard to actually get paid

Current Employee - Field Tech Work  in  Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Field Tech Work in Spokane, WA

Pros

When the tech portal works, even if very slow, it's intuitive and easy to use. Paper work is simple, and easy to upload as are notes and so forth.

Cons

Here are examples
    1st call with them: Contacted by a barrister agent, requested I do a call for them in the next city over. Pay rate 45.00, I told them we normally charge 80.00, they countered with 55.00. I accepted, when I finally got paid, they sent 45.00 instead of the agreed upon 55.00.

2nd Call with them: Contacted by a barrister agent, requested I do a call for them pretty far away. They wanted 45.00, I said no way, 90.00, they countered with 80.00, I accepted. I followed all RFS rules, installed the parts, but found another part needed. I called per their rules, told the rep the part needed, She closed the call, they claimed I didn't finish the job and said zero pay. I fought it via email and phone, they agreed to pay (still haven't seen the money yet), but even if I do actually get the money. It was many many phone calls, emails, 2 hours of driving, an hour onsite, twenty some dollars worth of gas, all for maybe 80.00. Not worth it.

3rd call with them: Contacted by a barrister agent, requested I do a diagnostic call in the next city over, as usually pay rate was 45.00, I said no I need 80.00, they countered with 60.00 and said it's diagnosis only so we can only pay a max of 60.00, I again accepted. I diagnosed the machine, and went beyond by cleaning it thoroughly and testing it. The cleaning appeared to fix the issue of 'shake toner error', which was happening every 5 or so pages. The customer printed hundreds of pages with no fault and stated the printer is working. She signed off that the issue was fixed. Apparantly the printer continued to work for hours and hours of continuous printing after that but then showed the fault again. I spoke with a Barrister rep and reported the next step to try. Instead, they marked my call as incomlete for zero pay! I did the diag they requested, and even did more.

Read cons above, you are going to lose access to all of us highly qualified techs if you keep abusing us like this.

You're correct checking these reviews for signing up with this company! BEWARE

Former Employee - Phone Support  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Phone Support in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Las Vegas 'Call Center"' is more like a 400 sq ft boiler room! There are long picnic tables with computers next to computer next to computer. There are wires and cabling everywhere, for a 'tech support company' that is 'growing' the 'call center' is easier described as an infomercial telesales type of environment, people included (unfortunately in Las Vegas times are tough, wages are low for the jobs that are available, and so called employers are,of course, taking advantage!) There's got to be an OSHA violation in the Gowan Road 'call center' I've never seen anything like this growing company excuse for a call center. You can freely just walk into office, boiler room, or whatever you want to call it!!

Cons

Seems to me... when a company posts an ad for a position and the rate of pay is displayed as $10-$12.00 an hour and during the interview ( 1st phone call you receive), when inquiring on the rate of pay you are ADVISED " $10.00 per hr BUT you have the POTENTIAL to EARN an extra DOLLAR an HOUR IF YOU ARE ON TIME FOR YOUR SHIFT AND ADHERE TO BREAKS AND LUNCHES each day of that pay period (which shouldn't be an issue right...) But the other DOLLAR an hour is by meeting a quota, and at Barrister, where you're typical hold time for a tech to dispatch a tech is minimum 45 min... This Growing company is more like an outsourced swear shop that is only operating in the US because technicians are weary of the ridiculous language barriers that exist between English and Malaysian...1 more thing is the fact 35 years in business and a 400 sq ft operating facility in Viva Vegas only is in existence because of the economic downturn WHICH CREATED A 5 YEAR TAX BREAK FOR COMPANIES IF THEY HAVE X AMOUNT OF EMPLOYEES. Let's see opened in 2011 so in another 15 months this office will close and spring up somewhere else like NY where they also have a INCENTIVE PROMOTION GOING ON.

what management? All the HR etc..is in in the state of LA.Nothing but us drones here. Need to speak to HR calling the girl , oh I apologize, the umm..so call gentleman in Louisiana for any question is acceptable..not really.

Field Service Technician

Current Employee - Field Service Technician  in  Sunbury, PA
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Sunbury, PA

Pros

The jobs are local and they are flexible on the time of day to schedule the appointment. Good way to fill in an otherwise empty spot in your schedule.

Cons

Per job pay. Pay per job is usually okay but I have had a couple of times when the job ran over expectation and became unprofitable.

Wait time for tech support. My biggest complaint is the up to half hour wait for tech support.

Lower the wait time for tech support for techs being paid on a per job basis.
    Add additional pay when your business wants additional troubleshooting steps taken.

Good contracts, Questionable policies

Former Employee - Field Technician  in  Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Field Technician in Springfield, MO

Pros

Good quantity and availability of contracts to run. Good ticketing System.

Cons

Difficult to contact offices at times. Although payment is usually prompt, is should *always* be prompt. Not paying your contracts on time is not the sign of a good company.

Pay your contractors on time, every time, and quit auto-disputing DOA parts as a possible technician issue. Listen to your technicians first. Then make a decision.

Nice

Former Employee - Field Engineer Tech  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Field Engineer Tech in Orlando, FL

Pros

Awesome Company to work for, very professionals.

Cons

Nothing to say about them

Tough work environment

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

The only pro about this company is working with a great team

Cons

Long hours. No regard for any type of personal life or life outside of the office.

Treat your managers with respect. Don't favor certain managers over others. Be aware that they have a life outside of the office.

Barrister Global Services Network Response

Jun 5, 2014Recruiting Manager

Barrister is very aware of the balance of work and personal life. We do not require any employee, and acutally discourage, working from home.

Subcontractor

Current Employee - Subcontrator  in  Hammond, LA
    Current Employee - Subcontrator in Hammond, LA

Pros

They give you opportunites for security clearances

Cons

Contract signing, limits and stipulations. on-call , pay rates by hour pan out not worth it. Working for peanuts

Tell the truth

Worked for Barrister Global Services Network? Contribute to the Community!