Barry Levin Associates Reviews

1. Great experience!

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Barry Levin Associates

Pros

Great company from top to bottom. Learned a lot over my 7+ years of employment. Great place to work if you enjoy building design.

Cons

Office is small. Communication between employees could be improved. Office supplies are outdated. The time off policy can be better.

2. Had a great time at BL&A

I worked at Barry Levin Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working on commercial projects on a national level brings a great deal of experience in all aspects of design.

Cons

Environment can be boring at times.

An very small 18th century structural engineering company that is ruled by a megalomaniac.

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Barry Levin Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paychecks were on time. There was very little supervision and no one talks to each other all day long unless it is your boss coming in to ask you how much do you love me or her yelling at the top of her lungs about "stupidities". The time spent there still counts towards sitting for your PE license. It was heated in the winter.

Cons

The entire office is a circus of cultures and odd personalities that have never had to do teamwork until they hired 4 new employees within the last year. Everybody was miserable there, as was I in my windowless office. You are here to work, not to learn is what I was told in month one. Along with long, forced discussions in morning meetings with your female boss about what I do in my personal life with such topics as: are you having sex, you life is boring, architects are stupid, and tell me how cute I am. The days are filled with CAD and copying old projects to fit the new projects, sometimes using white out and a photocopier. No professional development allowed. I was told a master's is a waste of time and there is no incentive to get your PE as the ceiling is very low at this very small company. This place should be your last workable option once McDonalds says you can't work there. You've been warned.

Treat your employees with respect. Fire BB to avoid a lawsuit in the near future. Train your employees way more effectively. Join the 21st century of engineering and technology.

5. Great well of experience

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Barry Levin Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you want to gain experience and practice in multiple construction materials, this is a place for you. There are friendly coworkers in this company. The company try its best to keep engineers especially during bad economy but, expect to get pay cut.

Cons

Do not expect salary increase with your responsibilities or how you improved company portfolio with PE license. A company of many "managers" with few "workers".

6. BL&A

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Barry Levin Associates

Pros

Good place to get experience with a varied amount of structural types of projects. Staff kept lean to maximize billable time.

Cons

Staff kept lean so when projects hit its easy to get overloaded.

Regional Managers that are counterproductive and disruptive due to personality defects should be re-assigned to non-management positions.

7. It's got it's pluses and minuses

I have been working at Barry Levin Associates

Pros

There are a number of employees willing to help each other better their engineering abilities.

Cons

It is common to be placed in a box of what management considers one's "skill set".