Bart Reviews

Grace Crunican

1. Public Agency Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Bart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability Great Benefits Compensation for the trade positions are great

Cons

Lacks innovation Not up to date with technology No work life balance Salaries for professionals are not always competitive

2. principal engineer

I have been working at Bart full-time

Pros

great benefits, work/life balance, bart pass, convenient location

Cons

too much red tape, senior management borderline incompetent

Advice to Management

communicate to employees

3. Bay Area Rapid Transit Comm Department

Current Employee - Commincations Technician in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Commincations Technician in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Bart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming from AT&T after 14 years where I dealt with management greed and the dreaded MSOC application (a tool the company uses to cut heads), it has been nice to work for a public utility with a different mindset. Great people and a great atmosphere make Bart the best place I've worked since AT&T West was Pacific Bell. I so enjoy going to work that the end of the work week takes me by surprise. Its very easy to loose track of the days when you enjoy your job. Another nice thing is that management allows employees to choose a specialty. Like video surveillance? Maybe fiber or T1 troubleshooting. EADACS Radio your cup of tea? I tell you the truth. This job makes you feel like you help make the Bay Area tick. The pay and benefits are good and you and your family being able to ride the train for free is a nice perk.

Cons

As no job is perfect, Bart has its share of politics. But like with any job you learn to deal with it. Shifts are divided into clicks. They acknowledge one another, but that's it. Also new hires will be in for what can only be described as the longest 120 days of their lives, the dreaded probation period. This is the only and I mean only window management really has to get rid of you. This position is Union represented by the SEIU. During this probation period you "WILL" never be late. You "WILL" do your job to satisfaction. You "WILL" watch what you say, and you "WILL" be reminded everyday that you are on probation. Once this period is clear, you have a job for life. You can pat yourself on the back, then wait another 8 months before you can use vacation. Another con is that it is very hard to get in at Bart. I've tried for 3 years before finally getting hired. Statically, it is easier to get into Harvard. Harvard accepts roughly 6% of its applicants. Bart hires less than 1%

Advice to Management

Direct management isn't really management per se. They are known as fore-workers. They are employees just like everyone else who make $5 more. They report directly to the section manager. I have no advice for management on this system. It works pretty well. I do have some advice for HR. The test to get hired requires an engineering level of knowledge about electronics theory that the normal run of the mill technician may not have. Maybe putting a greater number of questions related to the job would yield a greater number of filled positions.

5. review

Former Employee - Worker in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Worker in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Bart (More than 3 years)

Pros

there are no pros to this company

Cons

unreliable work ethics are practiced by owner

6. Principal Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Principal Financial Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Financial Analyst in Oakland, CA

I worked at Bart (Less than a year)

Pros

Unbelievable benefits. Good but not great salaries. BART is what you make of it. There are many interesting jobs and departments. Teamwork is key. Good life work balance. I enjoyed my time at BART.

Cons

Don't get caught up in some of the negativism. Most employees don't know how good they have it. There are a few bad apples. It is practically impossible to fire anyone. The Unions think they run the place. Bad feeling between Union and Management.

Advice to Management

Management needs to respect the labor force. The Unions need to stop taking advantage of their strike power and grow up.

7. Not a lot of opportunity unless you can utilize nepotism

I worked at Bart part-time

Pros

Can retire from organization, impossible to get fired

Cons

Low opportunity for mobility unless you already know the person hiring in the department you want to move to

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad energy and lazy workers

8. BART is a great employer and really care about their interns

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

Kind Helpful Friendly understanding

Cons

Disorganized at times and they seem to get in a rut in terms of new creative ideas

Great if you're unskilled, not so much if you're skilled

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Oakland, CA

I worked at Bart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Lots of time off * Good medical benefits * Diverse group

Cons

* People are strung along with promises of advancement that never happens * New people make more than long-timers who know more about the system because of the screwy way compensation is set up (new people get market rate, long-timers get 0-2% raises every year) * Equipment is antiquated * Pay is docked if you're late for work even if it's your train that's late and you're willing to stay late to make up the time

Advice to Management

* You've got to stop hiring everyone at the top salary and leave room for advancement * Cross train people so there aren't bottlenecks when only one person knows how to do something and that person isn't there

One of the worst place I even work at...

I have been working at Bart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefit are great and that is all I can say

Cons

1) Because it is an UNION shop; even the people who have no idea what they are doing; will not get fired. 2) Because it is an UNION shop; even people who talked on their cell phone for hours; will not get fired. 3) Because it is an UNION shop; even if people don't do any work; will not get fired. 4) Because it is an UNION shop; people are doing the minimal; will not get fired. That makes the rest of those people who actually do work; feels...stupid.

Advice to Management

Work with the UNION and find a way to fired those people and keep those who actually work

Union shop in IT???

Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Bart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was great to have a guaranteed salary and almost impossible to get fired.

Cons

Unable to stretch the skill set for fear of encroching of another job title. Jealousy and ignorance runs rampant.

Advice to Management

Advice to the union. Let willing employees perform tasks outside of the out-dated job descriptions if they chose to do so.

RSS Feed </> Embed