Bartell Drug

2.8

George D. Bartell

Great pharmacy manager

I worked at Bartell Drug full-time

Pros

competitive salary for retail pharmacy

Cons

benefits are not that great

Started off great... but has declined in the past two years.

I have been working at Bartell Drug (more than 5 years)

Pros

It really depends on your management and the people you work with. They can make or break your experience.

Cons

Lack of respect for employees.

Appreciate your employees more. Treat us like the "family" you claim we are.

Scaring away loyal pharmacists who have been with the company for over 5 years

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Everett, WA

I worked at Bartell Drug full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers were great. Employee bin discounts.

Cons

one of the lower pays in retail, they take every customer complaint seriously even if it is an anonymous one. Corporate always sided with patient, wrote me up and gave the patient a gift card since the "customer is always right" in their eyes. Felt like they were finding any way to get me out to hire the new grads for at least $1.50+ less per hour. They're following Walmart and Walgreens model with the enterprise system which is slow and wastes lots of paper. Tech hours were cut left and right and more manual labor projects like calling patients individually by the pharmacist were thrown onto the pharmacist as well as metrics and manual "automatic" refills since the enterprise is so outdated.

Medical and health benefits are the worst here. There's no vision coverage either. Also you cannot have any medications filled outside the Bartells chain or even flu shots because the insurance is only internal even if you go out of state.

Treat your loyal employees better like bring back the appreciation dinners and give us more help if you want stellar customer service. Right now you're only attracting the new grads or burnt out Walgreens or other retail pharmacists who won't be loyal to your company.

A great place to start a career, just don’t stay too long!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bartell Drug full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable employment, most of the people that work for the company have been there forever.

Cons

Little to no room for career advancement, the employee discount benefit is terrible (Cost + 13.5%) The advertised prices are actually better than the Employee Discount. A phrase you will hear a lot is “This is just the way it’s always been done” and upper management isn't really open to new ideas. The Point of sale programs is slow and very old fashioned. The company could benefit by means of time and money if it was upgraded.

The pay at the company is really low. For similar jobs at other local companies in the area the pay is anywhere from 10-25% higher. The career advancement is nonexistent (Unless you’re a Director, which some have been promoted 3 levels within a few months)

Clerk

I have been working at Bartell Drug (more than 10 years)

Pros

Not sure anymore..like alot of employees here. Met some very nice customers and fellow employees. From an objective viewpoint..interesting to watch company's culture changing!

Cons

Gone from bad to worse. There is a lack of genuine appreciation towards employees. There is the general sense of, " you can be replaced easily " . Most stores are very short of staff. Impossible to live up to the standards of excellent customer service and keep the store up to snuff. We are all doing the best we can but still never good enough. Morale is very low and has been for years among employees.

The top dogs and those who are influencers in company decisions need to work in the stores for a couple weeks.

And monetary bonuses for all would be appreciated.

Great place to work and gain experience

Current Employee - Cashier/Clerk in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Clerk in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bartell Drug part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling (for a full-time student), definitely taught me patience when it comes to customer service. Was able to build great relationships with my coworkers and some of our regular customers.

Cons

Honestly, listening to the store music for 8 hours each day gets beyond annoying. It would be great if the company changed the music stations we listened to so there's more variety (same songs play every single day).

Management really needs to have store meetings twice a year again to clear up confusion between store associates, as well as build morale.

Experience varies greatly by store and store manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Bartell Drug full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The business is recession resilient, making you feel confident that you are guarenteed 40 hours a week if you're full time status. Competitive pay (for a drug store), well-rounded benefits package including PTO and employee discount.

Cons

Your experience highly depends on your store and store manager. I've worked at stores where I have seriously considered just walking out. Unless you're an assistant manager or store manager, it's nearly impossible to have a work-life balance. I worked late shifts every day, and worked every weekend and holiday for 5 years. Because of constant pressure from upper management to make month-end goals, there is constant negativity flowing from the corporate office since it seems like we can never make our target.

I feel that all the negativity truly does start at the top with the CEO. The company has an internal newsletter that is sent out every month and each issue includes a letter from the CEO. I can honestly say that I have read only one positive letter from him since I started here 5 years ago.

Tear down the wall that's built between the corporate office and your stores; listen to your employees in the field.

Take some power away from the company buyers and give the store managers more authority to buy what they want (and turn away items they don't want) for their stores.

You seriously need to have more security in all of your stores.

Great Place

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bartell Drug full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If your all about Customer Service this is the place for you.

Cons

Slow upward movement due to small company size and low turn over

really great company

Current Employee - Management in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bartell Drug full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great pay scale, chance for advancement is real and fair , some of the store managers work well with your schedule needs. Corporate office holds meeting with different groups from all stores to give everyone a chance to weigh in on needs and concerns of the stores

Cons

managers get moved to stores that are far from home , assistant managers work many hours for salary. The amount of nighttime employees is to low.

maybe get a bit more involved in every employees needs and concerns , listen to real complaints and ideas by individually talking with each employee from time to time

Good place to work

I have been working at Bartell Drug

Pros

Local company. that has been around for years.

Cons

Direction of the company is not clear, seems to change frequently

Pick a strategy and stay the course