Bartell Drug Reviews

George D. Bartell

1. Salary budgets

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Snohomish, WA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Snohomish, WA

I have been working at Bartell Drug full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I like the fact that the company is always looking for ways to improve .

Cons

I feel that management at corporate level has steadily lost touch with the real shopping experience of our guests. Cutting staff is not the way to save money

Advice to Management

Do NOT reduce staff hours, as it simply agitates guests who have to wait for any kind of service. We have always prided ourselves on great service, but find little time available to put that into practice. As a result of cutting back on salary budgets, the pharmacy is picking up the slack by constantly stopping filling rxs to walk guests to their needs as we are the only staff they can see. I would love to see the people at corporate level stepping out of their offices and spending more time in the stores to get a TRUE feel for daily work environments. I feel this would be valuable for them when making decisions to improve the shopping experience of our guests

2. Use to care

Current Employee - Cashier/Clerk With Pricing Duties in Ravensdale, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Clerk With Pricing Duties in Ravensdale, WA

I have been working at Bartell Drug full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They offer a great selection of products

Cons

Use to care about their associates. Now it's all about how much they can make.

Advice to Management

Treat your associates like they are worth something, then they will want to stay and want to do a great job. Get rid of the UP program

3. good place to move up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bartell Drug (Less than a year)

Pros

competitive pay, great work enviroment, well trained staff,

Cons

too much employee transferring, inconsistent store to store policies,

Advice to Management

keep it up

5. They make a genuine effort to improve

I have been working at Bartell Drug full-time

Pros

The top management are taking steps to keep this company moving in a strong direction. There is a large community loyalty.

Cons

You will work with very dated software and some of the new programs being introduced should have been in place 10-15 years ago.

Advice to Management

They are doing a great job of communicating the path forward for the company. Keep up the good work!

6. Second assistant manager

I worked at Bartell Drug full-time

Pros

Management training is good.

Cons

Retail hours obviously mean no weekends or holidays.

7. Compared to other retail pharmacies out there, Bartell Drugs is the lesser evil

I worked at Bartell Drug

Pros

Everyone I worked with was (for the most part) a team player. Bartell does a good job trying to determine who's a good fit for their company.

Cons

As a float, I was told more than once to "avoid becoming a pharmacy manager at this company". As usual, the managers are overworked (salaried= 60 hour work weeks, paid only 40 hours), and the office dumps silly projects on them. Pharm Tech hours were cut while I was there (then again, what retail pharmacy hasn't cut hours?). Company felt a bit TOP HEAVY.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to open more stores, the money should be put back into the existing stores and hiring more help for those who fill a high volume of prescriptions.

Good people at store level, but far too low pay and long hours for salaried employees.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bartell Drug full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lots of individuality to run your store the way you want to. not too light on payroll. most stores are very manageable without much stress. strong focus on development for promotion.

Cons

company is outdated. No auto ordering, slow systems, and investments in updates are a decade behind the competition. Hours are long. the shortest days are 10 hours and can be as long as 18 during peak season. ASM's and SM's don't punch in or out so hours are not tracked. During peak months, most work 4 weeks straight without a day off. pay is subpar for level of talent and hours required.

Advice to Management

invest more than training into the talent in your stores. most assistants feel largely underpaid and overworked.

Started off great... but has declined in the past two years.

I have been working at Bartell Drug (More than 5 years)

Pros

It really depends on your management and the people you work with. They can make or break your experience.

Cons

Lack of respect for employees.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees more. Treat us like the "family" you claim we are.

Scaring away loyal pharmacists who have been with the company for over 5 years

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Everett, WA

I worked at Bartell Drug full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers were great. Employee bin discounts.

Cons

one of the lower pays in retail, they take every customer complaint seriously even if it is an anonymous one. Corporate always sided with patient, wrote me up and gave the patient a gift card since the "customer is always right" in their eyes. Felt like they were finding any way to get me out to hire the new grads for at least $1.50+ less per hour. They're following Walmart and Walgreens model with the enterprise system which is slow and wastes lots of paper. Tech hours were cut left and right and more manual labor projects like calling patients individually by the pharmacist were thrown onto the pharmacist as well as metrics and manual "automatic" refills since the enterprise is so outdated. Medical and health benefits are the worst here. There's no vision coverage either. Also you cannot have any medications filled outside the Bartells chain or even flu shots because the insurance is only internal even if you go out of state.

Advice to Management

Treat your loyal employees better like bring back the appreciation dinners and give us more help if you want stellar customer service. Right now you're only attracting the new grads or burnt out Walgreens or other retail pharmacists who won't be loyal to your company.

A great place to start a career, just don’t stay too long!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bartell Drug full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable employment, most of the people that work for the company have been there forever.

Cons

Little to no room for career advancement, the employee discount benefit is terrible (Cost + 13.5%) The advertised prices are actually better than the Employee Discount. A phrase you will hear a lot is “This is just the way it’s always been done” and upper management isn't really open to new ideas. The Point of sale programs is slow and very old fashioned. The company could benefit by means of time and money if it was upgraded.

Advice to Management

The pay at the company is really low. For similar jobs at other local companies in the area the pay is anywhere from 10-25% higher. The career advancement is nonexistent (Unless you’re a Director, which some have been promoted 3 levels within a few months)

RSS Feed </> Embed