Bartlett Tree Experts

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
3.4

CEO

Safety conscious, jobs done right

Current Employee - Plant Health Care Technician
    Current Employee - Plant Health Care Technician

I have been working at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When it comes to tree care, Bartlett is really as good as it gets. Arbor representatives want the best for their clients and won't sell them something they don't need. Safety is the highest priority, which I really appreciate because the work can be dangerous. I like being trained both as a spray tech and as a tree crew worker so that the work is varied, different every day. Employees care about the quality of their work and the clients notice. Lots of training opportunities available. Offices are international and it is relatively easy to transfer within the company.

Cons

Not very many opportunities to get promoted, unless you want to be a sales rep. Hours can be long and unpredictable due to busy seasons and weather. Pest "management" is sometimes more like pest "control" because sprays are rarely timed effectively and biological control is virtually absent. Also, every office is different so your experience depends highly on attitudes of the people currently working at the office.

Promote beneficial insect releases and biological control methods. Arbor reps need to communicate more effectively with clients to ensure them that spraying doesn't need to happen every IPM visit. Pest management can be achieved more sustainably when we're not spraying 7 times a year.

Work you until you break. Stretch you and push you, and give you very little in return

Former Employee - Climber in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Climber in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Out of most big commercial tree companies, they're one of the better to work for. Unfortunately, that's not saying much. If overtime is your thing, and you live to do tree work, this might be your thing. If not, stay away.

Cons

Horrible working conditions are common and customers give very little appreciation even on the most professional job done or difficult working scenario. There's a very poor wage, and many of the people drawn to this field are rejects from any other profession. In addition, you'll find yourself competing with other tree companies, the kind most would call 'hacks.' Not only that, but people will assume you're one of them. Advancement opportunities are very limited, and unless you squeeze your way into a sales rep or corporate position, you'll end up working as a foreman for the rest of your life. Do you want to be stuck cutting down, trimming, and hauling trees until you're 65? If you even make it that far in this field without a serious injury knocking you out of this line of work, consider that winning the lottery.

For a job that is incredibly physically demanding, the health benefits are a joke. Short 'training' sessions on ergonomics and proper lifting aren't going to lessen the wear and tear on your body nearly enough. I would never consider going back into this line of work unless a weekly chiropractor visit and massage was included within the benefits, as well as paid sick days. For a job that requires you to work in inclement weather, around extreme dust, and fungi and feces in trees, you're bound to get sick from job related duties.

Professionalism

Current Employee - Aborist in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Aborist in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work for Bartlet Tree Experts is the quality of people they employ, everybody has a high standard of professionalism.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to get the required time off when all your co-workers have the same needs.

Just listen and pay attention to the specific needs of certain individuals and balance fairness among all your employees.

Decent but could improve

I have been working at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time

Pros

free gear, lots of training and opportunity to advance yourself. Depending on the location of your office, plenty of overtime and weekend work if you need it. Decent benefits and mostly new equipment and tools to work with. One of the safest companies in the industry, you will learn to be safe and want to show others that they are doing it wrong

Cons

This can vary depending on your office, I work at one of the larger offices and the HR department in terrible. Hard to get anything done and if you need something good luck getting it on the first visit to the office. I have worked for several small offices during storm emergencies that wanted to help and were more friendly. Promotions are not based off of performance but checklists and paper work. Management never seems to remember that you helped them out on a difficult job or worked a 15 hour day for them when it comes to reviewing your wage. Management does not value you as an asset but rather a strong back that will complete jobs in the amount of time they need you to. Jobs can be underbid and never seem to come out and this reflects badly on you.

Reward strong dedicated employees with a raise. Don't rely solely on checklists and take note when an employee works hard for you. My office made over 8 million last year and I cant even get a 50 cent raise. Try to pay less attention to the bad employees that refuse jobs and complain every day, your dedicated workers are getting tired and need to be appreciated.

VP

Current Employee - V P in Southampton, NY
    Current Employee - V P in Southampton, NY

I have been working at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at BTE for over 30 years. It's the best company to work for and I would and do recommend it for anyone who is interested in a green career. It's the most advanced arboriculture based company in the world.

Cons

Challenges are if you're not well organized and self motivated this job will not work for you. You need to open to ideas that have been proven and not try and buck the system. For newly hired arborist working in the field if you don't agree that safety is above all else you shouldn't work here. Safety is a culture that you must be part of at every level.

Continue what you're doing

Good pay and year-round work, but not a place to practice quality arboriculture.

Current Employee - Arborist in Southampton, NY
    Current Employee - Arborist in Southampton, NY

I have been working at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, enjoyable production staff to work with, year-round work available. Good opportunities for training and company growth at some offices, but not at the Long Island offices (other offices are much better). The benefits are okay, but nothing great.

Sales reps can get sucked into the corporate greed frame of mind and stop caring about clients/production staff.

Cons

Corporate greed is a driving force in providing unethical services to the clients. Most of the tree spraying or fertilization jobs are under priced so that the company can sell volume. You don't have time to do a quality job and you are pressured to finish a job quickly to maintain a high rate of return per hour so that the sales reps don't lose their commission. (ie- deep root fertilize all trees and shrubs on a 1 acre estate that is fully landscaped in 30 minutes). The client always loses!!! Most clients have no idea they are being ripped off.

The tree pruning is horrible. The pruning crews are mostly under trained latino workers that never prune a tree according to ANSI standards.

Train your employees, deliver quality services to the clients, stop being so greedy, show more interest in your employees as up-and-coming arborist and not as servants to the corporate greed. This company used to have excellent standards, but they have fallen downhill over the past 10 years. They still have the opportunity to be the company Robert and Francis Bartlett envisioned it to be, the world's best.

The best on the job training and experience you will find in a company.

Current Employee - Arborist Representative in Westbury, NY
    Current Employee - Arborist Representative in Westbury, NY

I have been working at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As long as you work hard you will get promoted. This company wants you to do well and offers training from the best in the business. Great pay and just an all around great place to work. Bartlett offers the best benefits you will find in the tree care industry.

Cons

Lots of hours during the busy season and over time is expected, however that leads to an even nicer paycheck.

Great Company to Work For

I have been working at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is a career progression plan in place for my own self development. Everyone is treated like a member of the family with good pay, great benefits, and a good work-like balance.

Cons

The work is hard, but rewarding when it's done.

Develop the employees having a harder time learning the trade rather than giving up on them. Developing employees into strong performers is way easier and more gratifying than hiring top performers.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Arborist Representative
    Current Employee - Arborist Representative

I have been working at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company is growing, and you are able to advance, but you have to work for it and may have to be patient and wait for an opening. Great training whether on the job or at the Research Arboretum. The Research Arboretum is a wealth of information and is just a phone call or email away. The lab staff is always willing to help out.

Cons

I wouldn't call it a con, but employees are held to a high level of professionalism and are expected to consistently put out high quality work.

A lot is expected out of the employees, most meet the expectations and are compensated well for it. If you haven’t don’t so already, talk with employees about career paths. Don’t let the new guy fall to the wayside in the morning rush.

Best career choice I've ever made

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Bartlett Tree Experts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I’ve been with Bartlett for a few years now and I have never been happier with my career. Aside from helping our customers with any inquires that they might have, I work with the arborists and admins at our 100+ offices, as well as our local/divisional managers and our home office employees. Not only is everyone that I interact with here friendly, courteous and professional, but the environment is also extremely positive. Regardless of who you're interacting with, there never seems to be a problem understanding each other and figuring out a solution to what you/they happen to be working on.

The company is very accommodating with your schedule outside of the office; I've not once had an issue regarding leaving for appointments, vacation days, etc. Not a single one.

The company itself is a great place to work; the compensation and benefit packages are the best I've ever been offered, and there is definite room for advancement within the company, no matter your position.

I don't plan on going anywhere, and if you start working here, I can guarantee you that you'll feel the same.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything substantial. The sodas in the vending machine at my office are all Coke products and I prefer Pepsi. That's really all I've got.

Bartlett Tree Experts Photos