Barton Creek Resort and Spa

Mike Deitemeyer

1. Outside Service Personnel

Former Employee - Outside Service Personnel in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Outside Service Personnel in Austin, TX

I worked at Barton Creek Resort and Spa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Funny coworkers, getting to pick the range in peace, tip $$ from well-off members and guests, the Creekside restaurant serves up top notch ranch dressing and hot dogs. Free golf. Great job to have if you're also going to school. Lots of good looking women running around, especially at the pool. Occasionally you see someone famous. Most of the time nobody is breathing down your neck.

Cons

Management usually sucks, working long shifts on weekends and early opening hours. Tournaments can be rough.

Advice to Management

Become better managers.

2. Started out great, but...

Current Employee - Server in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Austin, TX

I have been working at Barton Creek Resort and Spa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Super nice managers and supervisors. Very flexible with scheduling around your personal and school needs--within reason.

Cons

Never received any formal training. They charge a 21% service charge to all purchases, so the likelihood of getting tipped on top of that is very small.

3. So far so good...

Current Employee - Esthetician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Barton Creek Resort and Spa part-time

Pros

I have enjoyed working here. My supervisors are friendly and helpful, plus want to see you succeed and will set you up with the opportunities to do so (at least in the spa department).

Cons

For most jobs, you have to start out as part time for at least 90 days until you can go full time.

Advice to Management

The spa business is generally catty but keep diffusing it as much as possible. We are a team.

5. Disappointed in lack of growth opportunities and lack of yearly raises or 401k matching

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Barton Creek Resort and Spa

Pros

Great golf courses, employee discount on rooms and KSL Resort stays

Cons

No support from upper level management, limited growth opportunities, lot of micromanagement, spending hours on solutions to problems and nothing is resolved, unproductive meetings, entitled members, a lot of miscommunication between departments

Advice to Management

Offer better incentives to employees, follow up on promises during interviews, clearly define expectations, TRAIN your employees and support them

6. Great college job

Current Employee - Guest Services in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Guest Services in Austin, TX

I have been working at Barton Creek Resort and Spa

Pros

Money, flexability, most of the people.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company
    KSL

7. Tejas- Country Club

Current Employee - Hostess in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Hostess in Austin, TX

I have been working at Barton Creek Resort and Spa

Pros

Fun, laid back environment with really nice club members, the staff is all very friendly and fun to work with, and most have been there along time

Cons

You have to wait 90 days before you get any of the benefits, and you have to wait 6 months in your current postion before you can transfer to a different department

Advice to Management

I think we could make the Tejas dining room and formal room better looking, and we should have assigned seating

8. Easy College Job

Former Employee - Guest Services in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Austin, TX

I worked at Barton Creek Resort and Spa

Pros

Worked in guest services during college. The hours were extremely flexible and at the time the money for a 'college job' couldn't be beat.

Cons

Management was hit or miss. Some where considerate. Others took the customer is always right mentality too far and rarely backing the employee.

Advice to Management

Assist all employees from top to bottom. This will create more of a team environment, instead of the warden/prison feeling Barton Creek has.

9. BARTON CREEK RESORT AND SPA ROCKS

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Barton Creek Resort and Spa

Pros

The people, for the most part, are awesome. My supervisor was THE BEST man I could ever have as a boss. The pay was real good and the grounds and surroundings are gorgeous.

Cons

The upper echelon of management were not the best to work with. The clientele are a little hard to deal with as well. I'm convinced that the more money that people have, the less likely they are to be nice and friendly. Beware of their benefits package - cost FAR too much money for what you received. The deductibles were through the roof.

Advice to Management

Be a little more accessible to your employees. Have more of an "open door" policy. You guys are so un-approachable it's sad. You have good people working under you. You should be more willing to let them run through their paces.