Base2 Solutions

Updated January 27, 2015
4.7

Base2 Solutions President and CEO Ron Hopkins
Ron Hopkins

A wonderful company to work for

I have been working at Base2 Solutions full-time

Pros

Base2 values not only their employees but their customers as well. Everyone is truly cared about and treated genuinely. They have established a work space that allows for a great work/life balance. Awesome culture- beer in the fridge, tons of snacks, walking treadmill, and many internal/external events.

Cons

The business of a consulting company makes it so not all employees are in house all the time, which can be hard when trying to get to know everyone at the beginning.

Keep up the great work!

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Base2 Solutions

Pros

The CEO and all members of the company in leadership positions genuinely care about how happy you are in your current role, how challenged you feel on a day to day basis, how overwhelmed or stressed you may feel, etc., and work to make sure you are where you want to be on all levels.

The people that are hired are not only very smart with strong a work ethic, but they are nice. Base2 has a very encouraging environment - one that embraces differences, individuality, a sense of humor, and kindness. You never have to worry about asking a question, telling a joke, or redirecting each other to focus on a Friday afternoon. Each employee is there to not only improve themselves, but also improve Base2.

I could honestly go on and on, but won't bore you - check them out for yourself.

Cons

Limited diversity in customers. In the past it has mostly been aerospace projects, but that seems to be expanding with new projects coming aboard.

Smart people and innovative solutions

I worked at Base2 Solutions full-time

Pros

The management are all very transparent and friendly. Their consultants are smart and dedicated. Overall a good place to work.

Cons

They needed to diversify their clients. Perhaps better benefits for their developers as well. Some of the clients' work sites were less than appealing, although I realize that is beyond Base2's control.

Great Company

I have been working at Base2 Solutions

Pros

This company employs a lot of talented people - a great advantage in the market if you want to stay ahead.

Cons

There are some learning curves, but only because of growth. Any company that experiences growth has this hurdle, and it's how they adjust to growth that determines their future. I feel like they are open to change, but just need to be nudged.

Keep up the good work, and make sure to be open to suggestions as you grow. You'll only get better!

Not as great as it seems

I worked at Base2 Solutions

Pros

There are definitely perks to working at this company. Lots of fun events. Beer in the fridge. Working offsite most of the time. No one breathing down your neck.

Cons

I didn't feel super comfortable with the honesty of this company. We were encouraged to charge anything to the client we possible could. A business lunch where a project was brought up for a moment. Charge that to the client.

We also had access to extremely sensitive information with our government contracts. However, the security on site was severely lacking. No stealthy password requirements. Anyone could walk into the front door and often there was no one at the front desk. It wouldn't have been too hard to grab a laptop.

How about having an accountant for a spouse. My bonus' never had the proper federal tax withholding per the IRS. So at the end of the year I got to pay the government. I come to find out that the Accounting Manager is not a CPA??? No wonder there were issues.

We were also encouraged to put great reviews on glassdoor to help get new employee's. How's that for ethical.

It's good to have fun. It is better to have fun and make sure are business practices are really in check with security and accounting compliance.

Dec 22, 2014CEO

We perform an exit interview of every person that resigns from the company. We want to learn why people leave so we can improve the company and be a better place to work. No one has ever raised ... More

An excellent company where people are its biggest and best resource, and with the culture and attitude that supports the

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Base2 Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best part of Base2 is that everyone is your colleague and peer - the management structure is very flat and lightweight. While you of course have a lead/manager that you report to, it does not feel cumbersome and bureaucratic. You know that everyone is always on your team, and you are on a first-name, casual basis with everyone including the top leadership. The culture is quite open-minded and flexible and encourages self-development and tries to fit you into work that you are interested in.

You're encouraged to develop new skills and take on new responsibilities. Great for self-directed learners.

Work-life balance is excellent. Rarely do I feel pressured to put in long overtime hours or the need to prioritize work over personal life. Crunch time happens, but it is very infrequent.

The pool of customers and projects has been growing and getting more and more interesting lately, which is a great trajectory to be on.

Benefits have improved rather dramatically in the past 2-3 years.

Cons

The business of consulting of course comes with variability. Sometimes projects are fantastic with awesome teams and awesome customers and you wish they would never end. Other times the projects are more humdrum with difficult customers that are harder to get excited about, but they never last forever - especially if you keep regular and open communications with your lead.

Internal HR and finance processes and systems are a little old school and could use more automation, but this has been improving since Base2 was recently given autonomy to manage and improve our own processes separate from their sister/parent company. That said, the HR and finance people do a great job and are always easy to work with. I've never had any issues that took more than an email or a phone call to sort out.

Base2 has been trying to expand its business beyond just Aerospace/Boeing with some success, but it has been a slow process. It's a difficult task that I do not envy, but would love to see more progress in this arena. The expertise in developing and managing complex systems and software could be applied to a much wider selection of industries, but it's tough to break in.

Relatedly, to move into a management position requires a certain amount of "sales" and finding new business. I use quotes because typically new business is evolved from previous projects and clients, but it still requires some hustling.

The often distributed nature of the business sometimes can make connecting with coworkers difficult when some people are in the main office and some are in various client offices.

Keep up the great culture, continue to hire and retain the best people, continue to improve internally, and expand the breadth of customers.

A place of high expectations, great customers, talented people and an energizing culture!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Base2 Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What makes Base2 unique is the combination of factors that blend together to in way that makes it a win-win-win for the Base2 - the customer - and the employee. A very flat organization where the leaders are open to new ideas and creative approaches. Every project I have worked on for Base2 has been intellectually challenging and added value to the customer. I find that I can bounce ideas off of people readily, and everyone has an open mind as to how to bring the best solution to bear for our customers. The people I work with have depth and breadth of experiences and look at each new puzzle as an opportunity for grow even more, while creating scalable and supportable solutions. We embrace all technologies while being sensitive to the requirements of the customer.

Cons

As already mentioned in some of the other reviews, Base2 struggles a bit in a few areas. We need to continue to grow our business outside of Aerospace. We also need to bring some of our benefits and accounting systems into the modern world. Debit cards for flex plan, EFT for reimbursements vs. lots of paper work and paper checks. Our distributed nature makes it hard to connect with the team as a whole except at Comm Meetings and Summer BBQs.

We have seen lots of great improvements in benefits and accounting. The Comm Meetings are an excellent way to connect. Thank you so much for your support of the Lunch time Brown Bag topics and Social Activities. Thanks for the food and drinks and for the music.(vinyl Fridays). I am looking forward to a company retreat when the time is right - we can bring spouses and combine a little business with fun. Hosting customer events annually - showing our appreciation will also be something fun to help with and look forward to. On the right track ... keep up the great work. I cannot say thank you enough.

Love to work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Base2 Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the care they take with their people. They are selective but once you are hired they treat you very nicely. Everyone I have met has been great to work with and very positive. They are open to growth and let you take on new things when there is an opportunity.

Cons

Still feeling their way through the internal setup process. Natural for a new company but some growing pains.

Keep it up.

May 27, 2014Senior Recruiter

We are always sad when people leave! Thanks for the great review! If things don't work out where you are... COME BACK!

Team environment and happiness influences the final product.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Base2 Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good community, caring coworkers, quality work, good work/life balance, team events, good equipment, good benefits

Cons

Expected to produce quality work, rigorous quality management system. Aereospace industry clients means audits are regular to ensure quality standards for clients.

Keep on doing what you're doing.

May 27, 2014Senior Recruiter

The leadership team works hard to keep this a great place to work! Thanks for giving the company such a great review!

This company is all about employee satisfaction.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Base2 Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Base2 puts a lot of effort into making their employees happy. They create an atmosphere that makes you feel supported but also pushes and mentors you in a positive way to further your career. They recruit great people who are very talented and also down-to-earth.

Cons

I have not found any cons of working for this company so far.