Bashas'

Eddie Basha Jr.

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Home town grocery store

Store Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsFamily owned and employ alot of people so there are alot of job opertunities

Conssmall company that can't compete with the likes of Wal-Mart

Advice to Senior Managementgo back to school and earn a degree so you have somthing to fall back on

AJ's (Sister-chain)-- Awful place to work

Meat Department (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe camaraderie you develop between your fellow slaves. Thats about it.

ConsI am a meat clerk in the "Butcher's Corner". I have been there just about a year now. I could write a book about what an awful position this is. First, the pay. $8.58 an hour with zero benefits in a dying industry where the crusty lifers that have "achieved" full time status literally do not want to teach you anything, as they feel threatened by a guy who will come in and work for peanuts at twice their pace. Second, the "lifers" in general. By this I mean the employees that have been there 15+ years because they can still reap the grandfathered benefits that used to be in place within the company, from pay ceiling to benefits. They do not like any new hires and get their rocks off by running off closers with their constant nitpicking and whining when the fact that they cannot be bothered to teach new employees anything actually bites them in the ass. Next is the expectations laid upon you. I generally work 1-9pm shifts, where I see my manager for maybe an hour before he takes off for the day and I am left with the train wreck of a department that the AM crew left for me. My manager purposely under-schedules the night crew to stack his fellow lifer's hours in the mornings. This leaves me, a guy who barely knows anything about the industry to basically run the department during the dinner rush. Food prep, case presentation and filling, major janitorial duties, customer service-- literally everything is placed on the shoulders of the part time pee-on after 2 in the afternoon. Leave late because you were swamped with zero backup all day, or forget something as petty as leaving a dirty towel under a table? Expect a write-up. The management is a joke and the scheduling borders is by all means best described as 'abusive'. They set you up to fail with ridiculously unrealistic expectations for the sake of seeing what they can get away with not having to do. STAY AWAY!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue

no team players

Bakery Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Prosthe mgr. teams or nice

Conswork a lot of hours

Advice to Senior Managementto give more hours to the stores

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bashas'???

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGain customer service skills - definately build a thick skin dealing with people.

Conslong hours, on your feet, short breaks, sometimes hierarchy in the store - depending on what store, low pay. Its a hard job, deal with people all day.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-Format everything to actually care for your employees

Struggle

Deli (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsBack in 2005 it was a wonderful place to work and grow. Competitive wages, benefits and paid time off.

ConsBenefits cut, pay cuts, senior level management is not in touch with retail aspects and do not "permit" the managers to make hiring/scheduling decisions which directly affect the personal store's revenues.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut your losses and keep the dreams alive!

Look for other places to get a job at.

Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsSome of the best reasons to work at bashas are the people and the people you work with, other then the management. Alot of the time the managements are real...well horrible. But, the people are really nice and everyone who talks to you usually does so in a polite manner.

ConsThere are managers at my bashas that yell at you just to yell at you. They also tell you to do one thing, then tell you you're doing it wrong even though you're doing it exactly like you were told to. The management is just horrible to put it lightly.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice? I'd tell them to start hiring more competent managers.

The good still outweighs the bad... but the line is moving the wrong way

Store Worker (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsYou are supporting a local company that (presumably) gives back to your community. You will have the opportunity to meet a diverse group of people of all ages and ethnicity. You should be able to find a schedule that works around your Real Life responsibilities. One of the very few non union grocers, this could also be a downside depending on who you asked. If you have any previous retail experience you should be able to get a job starting 10 - 12 dollars an hour for "non-carryout/bagger" positions. Good Benefits packages. Time and a half on holidays including paid holidays.

ConsThe current pay structure is a little out of whack. Employees who started before 2005 are on a different payscale than current new hires. Only one cost of living raise in the last few years (25 cents). In store prices higher than other grocery stores. Weak member discount (5% off grocery excluding liquor tobacco). Hours for some have been hard to come by due to "economic conditions" (sept. 08).

Advice to Senior ManagementPay raises. Return to equal pay scale for all employees

Worked for Bashas'? Contribute to the Community!