Bass Pro Shops
www.basspro.com Springfield, MO 5000+ Employees

Bass Pro Shops Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Bass Pro Shops – Saint Charles – “Bass Pro Shops”

Bass Pro Shops President and COO Jim Hagale

Jim Hagale

Pros:
  • "An opportunity for the outdoorsman to work in the biz and get a great discount to boot"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Flexible hours, great customer service recognized and great employee discount program"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management at this store frequently engages in intimidation tactics to get its way"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Doesn't matter how hard you work, you will l get the same yearly increase as everyone else"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Educational, fun, unique

Team Lead (Current Employee)
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Prosunique environment, privately owned, great employee discount

ConsManagement can't agree from one day to another what is important and what is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate!!!!

If you're not in the 'click' you're out!

Front End Lead (Former Employee)
    Manteca, CA

ProsEmployee Discount very generous, being around my favorite hobbies. Co-workers are friendly.

ConsLow pay, supervisors very biased, unwilling to accept innovation or new ideas. Co-workers are unengaged and seem run down by higher level management. The store is very 'clicky' and if you weren't there when they first opened like half of them are, then they will not like you or listen to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementList to people who come in with fresh ideas. Sometimes, you'll be surprised. This store is being ruined by long term employees that are complacent and have no motivation to succeed.

Bass Pro is a loyal company willing to help you succeed within the company or outside the company.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Independence, MO

ProsThe staff is friendly, work well with your availability and you get a great discount.

ConsIt is a retail job and people can be unfriendly. They are also open on most holidays and it is really hard to get off those days unless you put your request in really early.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

was my first actual job in college. loved the management, supervisors, and co workers."

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosmanagement, environment, and discount was awesome!

Consi would not change a thing.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA

ProsOnly good thing was the discount.

ConsHorrible team leads and managers. If you are not in the click, you are treated unfairly. Low pay for a lot of work. Raises are horrible at 20-30 cents a year. Seem to be hiring non outdoor enthusiast. HR manager seems to cover up a lot of scandals and store manager does not care. When you call corporate and tell them your concerns, they act like your expendable. I seen lots of sexual comments made to female employees but when they say something to HR. They find a way to terminate the girls.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat your employees and support your team members. Start hiring professional managers and leads.

Customer Relations/Cashier

Customer Relations (Former Employee)
    Katy, TX

ProsWeekly pay and free food every now and then. Working here was fun for a few months til my Team Lead manager she quit and they replaced her with a guy. He was very rude, racist and not treating me as an equal. I would get written up for the stupid things that where not in the book.

ConsThey start you off with low wages and depending upon how the Team Lead manager feels about you. He then might give you a 20cent or 1 wage raise. They will work you hard for long, unstable and random hours that will stress you out. On top of that they give you 1Hr long lunch breaks, which will be deducted from your pay checks. The hours are never stable and always change every week.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose your team leads wisely because not all your workers are as loyal as you think. Also hire more people of color. I have received several threats from racist customers because I'm a young educated black male. Not all young black men are thugs or ignorant as you think. Second, hire people that come to work on time and people that are drug free. Your team leader hired a white male friend of mine as Full-time and hired (me)black male as part time with less hours even tho I work harder and come early. Every time I sold GG's I never received credit for my hard work.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

They were not truthful to me when I was hired on.

Line Cook (Former Employee)

ProsThe do offer a comprehensive benefits package. Health, Dental and automatic life insurance policy. The work environment promotes the feeling of being a team member.

ConsI was told that I would be working full time and in the 5 months that I worked there, only one week did I work a 40 hour week. The rest of the weeks were under 30 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend that the departmental managers be trained more thoroughly in the concept of team management.

Great Company with a Family Like Atmosphere...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, great customer service recognized and great employee discount program

ConsNot a big payer but the employee discount program makes up for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage the use of "pro form" purchases, especially for high end fly fishing equipment where making the higher dollar purchase is becoming more difficult in this economy. There nothing like the testimony of a "fired up" associate who actually owns the high end product.

Co workers are great

Customer Relations (Current Employee)
    Springfield, MO

ProsGood environment and the incentives are good.

ConsWages are low compared to other places.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees more

Loved my work, loathed my pay

Marine Department (Former Employee)

ProsTalked about fishing and boating all day. Customers were friendly. 40% discount! Co-workers were enjoyable.

ConsPaychecks were terrible. Worked part time and was often scheduled 39 hours, just enough to not pay me benefits.Management was overbearing. Expectations were way to high for the pay scale. No hope for moving up. Frequently understaffed. Lots of retiree's working there that are friendly but not up to date with product knowledge and move slow..

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to pay less than $10 an hour, staff more workers so one person doesn't have to run an entire department by themselves. Provide employees with a little hope of advancement.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Bass Pro Shops? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bass Pro Shops reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bass Pro Shops CEO Jim Hagale. All 178 reviews posted anonymously by Bass Pro Shops employees.