Bass Pro Shops Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014

Bass Pro Shops President and COO Jim Hagale
Jim Hagale

Pros
  • The staff is friendly, work well with your availability and you get a great discount (in 16 reviews)

• Employee Discount very generous, being around my favorite hobbies (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Doesn't matter how hard you work, or how hard you try, you are not appreciated (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management uses bullying tactics to get their way (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Very busy, but you learn a lot!

Current Employee - Cashier/Customer Service in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Cashier/Customer Service in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are great. You meet a variety of people from all around the world (mostly Canada and Ireland) which is always fun. It was rare to get really upset customer's. There was always little complaints but hardly anything major. Good discount and overall a fun job.

Cons

The pay isn't great and could be better for such a large and successful company. Manager's tend to throw you under the bus a lot (which is part of being a manager I guess). The hours vary and during the busy season, if your part-time, they will work you as many hours as possible without being considered full-time. That means full-time work without benefits (39.5 hours a week).

I loved working here but it is truly a high school environment.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garland, TX

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They give you (or at least try very hard to) give you everyday you ask off for! The managers are all super nice and flexible. Very easy to get along with!

Cons

My problem was with the majority of the employees. Almost everyone there is dating each other or has dated one another and they are all OBSESSED with talking about each other and starting rumors. It's pretty ridiculous. I just brushed it off but then when they started involving me in it and it was effecting MY job I had to get out of there.

I worked my tail off for a year and then got a 10 cent raise. You called it "a huge step". I felt like I got slapped in the face. I worked overtime EVERY WEEK for 8 MONTHS. Maybe show some more appreciation to the employees who actually help your company thrive rather than the rumor-mill workers.

Ehh..

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

You get a good discount

Cons

no set schedule, pay is horrible, no flexibility when it comes to changing your schedule, and limited room for advancement.

Tracker/Marine GSM

Current Employee - GSM
    Current Employee - GSM

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment and good discounts

Cons

To many chiefs involved in the business and not too flexible for school schedule for managers. Your a manager and need to be here when we need you, no flexibility at all.

Pay your people better and you will retain more valuable employees. Biggest gripe I hear on the floor is that the pay needs to be better. Raises of 3%, come on guys, your making millions.

Hardest but most rewarding job i've ever had!

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

quality of the company. The way management treats you is unlike any other company. Customers that shop here are wonderful.Its fun. The promo they have for the customers are great.

Cons

The pay is not the best. The health insurance is a little pricy. Rely on other employees to train new hires instead of by the book if you are given poor training you continue to do it wrong

Appreciate the hard workers and look deep into the company to see who they are.

Awesome Work Environment, but still retail

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, IN

I worked at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

BPS is a very unique store to shop in and work at. The company does a great job recognizing employees for going above and beyond and they have a very generous employee discount. HR is in every building which is helpful. All managers have an open door policy. Lots of staff to get tasks, projects complete as well as help guests.

Cons

Swing shifts, lots of hours, working every weekend ...typical retail

Must have a better work life balance

BPS has been a very good overall experience for me.

Current Employee - Front End Lead in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Front End Lead in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Promoting from within in most cases by recognizing good people. Comparable salaries for the area. Managers do not seem to micro-manage by letting leads take a big part in responsibility and decision making.

Cons

In some situations I have noticed managers need to be more involved and stand behind a leads decision or else provide more training and inside knowledge to the leads pertaining to customer service(i.e. what management will and won't do for a customer). Evaluations seem to be very vague and rushed through instead of honestly recognizing and rewarding exceptionally good work and attendance.

Be leaders by example-always. Know when to be involved and give honest and thorough evaluations with raises or rewards accordingly.

Awesome place to work whist in school

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They totally work around your schedule. Hard work is rewarded with quite modest raises.

Cons

Not many career opportunities if you are wanting to do something other than.

Keep the awesome culture alive. Keep the friendly environment with your employees!

Operator/cashier

Current Employee - Cashier/Customer Service, Phone Operator, Credit Card Asscosiate in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

been with the company for 10 years as a part time associate and cannot express what a nice company to work for.

Cons

can't complain, company works with employee to meet there needs

keep up the good work

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Able to work with needs of scheduling especially during school time and hours are somewhat consistent. Managers are mostly happy and will help you with problems you may have.

Cons

Hard to have any advancement in any matter. Not a lot of opportunities if looking for jobs that help with major in respect to school.

Bass Pro Shops Photos