Bass Pro Shops Reviews

284 reviews filtered by
3.1
Bass Pro Shops President and COO Jim Hagale
Jim Hagale

Pros
  • Good discount and overall a fun job (in 17 reviews)

• Employee Discount very generous, being around my favorite hobbies (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Doesn't matter how hard you work, or how hard you try, you are not appreciated (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management uses bullying tactics to get their way (in 19 reviews)

1. Great discount and friendly coworkers

Current Employee - Camping Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Camping Sales Associate

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Almost all of the employees are great to work with and are pretty educated in their department.
    The discount is more than generous.
    Great opportunity to share your department knowledge with customers.
    Decent pay for retail.

Cons

Team Leads can show more authority than what they actually have.
    Management always thinks you can be doing something better.
    Management caters towards Team Leads even if they have complaints about them.
    Don't always work around your school/class schedule.

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales associates when they complain about the Team Leads. The Team Leads shouldn't get anymore favoritism than anyone else in the store.

Relaxing atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

They are very flexible with schedules.

Cons

Pay is average. There is not much room to work up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Increase your wages a little more and get better work quality from employees.

I am responsible for the management of about thirty associates and the guarantee of exceptional customer service.

Current Employee - Front End Team Lead in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Front End Team Lead in Cary, NC

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is evident that the company truly cares about its associates. The atmosphere created by the decor and excited customers makes this a fun place to work. Management seems to care about the growth of the individual. While opportunities to advance are not frequent, they are encouraged when they come available.

Cons

The pay is not great. Training within this company is awful. You must be independent in that you must be willing to learn by finding the information on your own, asking a colleague, or calling another store for help. Very little focus is put on training packets, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep an open and honest line of communication with your associates. Refrain from gossip and never forget to support those that are willing to learn and step up as leaders.

5. CORPORATE: Decent people, but terrible mangement

Current Employee - Junior Web Developer in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Junior Web Developer in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours if you have the right manager, great discount on products

Cons

No work/life balance, projects are not thought through well, changing horses mid-stream is the norm. Highly political; it's like high school never ended and you better be in the right "clique."

Advice to Management

Learn to say no. Research and apply that research to projects. Listen to the people you pay for their skills.

Bloom is off of “TACOMA's not so NEW STORE..." anymore.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Products, Great People who work hard, Very Good Employee Discount, Great Customers (most of them) , Very Good General Manager.

Cons

VERY LOW PAY. No Commissions for anyone. Only a few cents above minimum wage for 1st year. The 90 day raise is a petty .20¢ No Cost of Living Raises. Vacation & Sick Days eligibility days earned only after 1 yr. Employees who have been with company for 12 years or more barely make competitive living wages. Not a place to work unless you are going to try going the long haul for 20+ years to make below industry standard, and why would you unless you have an inside track.

Advice to Management

This SHOULD NOT be a job only for bored retired people! Some of us were hoping that Bass Pro could become a career. But now we are not so sure. Give your hard working employees some hope by giving some them more regular and better raises than 20¢ the 1st 90 days and each year after that. Make the pay scale more linear instead of the hopeless "J" curve it is now. Allow earning of vacation days and some use before 1 year. Don't cut hours so drastically when sales are down, because it becomes a VICIOUS circle which seems to target us the employee. We're doing our best but if there is no one to help customers or not enough associates to help people when we get busy then sales will suffer and then our hours are cut more and we suffer the most. Corporate cuts costs by cutting our hours, but we can not do the same thing because our expenses can't be cut like that. We're just trying to pay our bills and keep our heads above water. It's not like we eat out all the time and go to movies every night, which would be hard to do on the Bass Pro Shop payscale. Some management knows this and acknowledges it but the "sold-their-souls" GSMs don't see it or don't want anyone to know they see it. TO BASE CAMP: Listen to what the associates are telling you we need for the Pacific Northwest!!! This is not Missouri!!! Nor any other part of the country. But we do BASS FISH HERE too. Why do we get product after the season for that particular item is OVER? Our customers are becoming very very weary of this. We have to tell them we are screaming at you, that we are fighting with you to get it for them. Some have stopped coming. One of our Local WA competitors (not Cabelas) is selling a NAME BRAND A+++ fishing rod for $40 less than Bass Pro. DO you really want to be here in the NW? Get the right products and get the right pricing.
    And, Oh Yeah BTW, Base Camp, PLEASE don't tell us we have a "bottom-up" organization. BPS is not an "upsidedown pyramid" and you are not at the bottom propping us up. It is very patronising! All of us BPS thousands working for MINIMUM WAGE are holding You guys up there so you can make the bucks, all the decisions and we do all the work. Having one mouth and two ears is like hearing that nonsense twice as much. You might act like you are listening, but it always comes down to squeezing blood from stones. Yeah, don't say that "upside-down pyramid management" thing anymore, it makes us resent you more than we should.

They have been good to work for and with. I have been able to make decent money while staying busy.

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

Bass Pro Shops has a great discount on in house products. It is also nice to work in an outdoor store.

Cons

With credit card sales, not many people want to sign up or participate. Also you must be ready to walk on a hard cement floor for 8 hours.

8. Hunting associate

I worked at Bass Pro Shops part-time

Pros

Company give aways. The employee discount is great. 40% off bass pro products. 15% off non bass pro products.

Cons

a shaky schedule. Some weeks you will have 25 hours, and some weeks they will only give you 6 hours. We have bills just like they do

Advice to Management

When you hire someone and tell them that they will average 22-25 hours a week, honor that. We left our former employer for you meaning we rely on you for our bills.

I enjoy going to work everyday. I live for the outdoor lifestyle, so it's a natural fit. Boats & ATVS are fun work.

Current Employee - Boat/ATV Technician in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Boat/ATV Technician in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

Fun Environment, Outdoor Related, Low Stress, Good Teamwork

Cons

Pay is lower than some other mechanical fields

Advice to Management

Promote from within

10. This company is easily one of the best to work for!

Current Employee - Team Leader in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get to work in the greatest retail store out there. With it being the biggest,and the first there is no greater feeling than walking onto the sales floor.

Cons

None that I can list.

Friendly work place that seems fun and supportive at first, but becomes less so over time.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

Fairly easy going atmosphere
    Friendly coworkers

Cons

Difficult to go the number of hours you would like.
    Scheduling can be inflexible.
    Rare opportunities for advancement.

Bass Pro Shops Photos