www.basspro.com

Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Bass Pro Shops President and COO Jim Hagale
Jim Hagale

Pros
  • Good discount and overall a fun job (in 17 reviews)

• Employee Discount very generous, being around my favorite hobbies (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Doesn't matter how hard you work, or how hard you try, you are not appreciated (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management uses bullying tactics to get their way (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

No Room For Growth

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

Fun atmosphere to work in. Family type associates.

Cons

No room for growth within the company. Management not willing to develop their employees.

Great Company, excellent management but the pay is not very competitive.

Current Employee - Hunting Associate in Bossier City, LA
    Current Employee - Hunting Associate in Bossier City, LA

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a wonderful place to work because you are surrounded by people who enjoy doing the same things that you like to do. Management will treat you well as long as you provide excellent customer service.

Cons

Pay is not very competitive.

Raise wages across the board.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Management in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Management in Memphis, TN

I worked at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

A great second job. Willing to schedule around full time job elsewhere.

Cons

Management is poor. No advancements for seniority. Poor pay rates for a million dollar company.

Great job if you like people

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

They take really take care of their employees. I had a lot of fun working there and they always had something going on.

Cons

It wasn't hands on enough for me. If you enjoy standing around all day talking to people. You'd love this job but I need to be occupied with my hands so this was a nightmare for me. also no commission

All of my management team was very nice and kind to me and my associates.

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Relations in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Relations in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

Friendly environment , room for advancement, hard work gets rewarded.

Cons

Nothing worth complaining about , everyone is too busy

Ask if team members need more help

Decent part-time job, would never work there full-time.

Former Employee - Operations Support Associate in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Operations Support Associate in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Bass Pro Shops part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discount, decent work environment, coworkers were great. Fairly casual environment. I worked in operations support so I had minimal contact with customers.

Cons

The pay was about average for a part-time job at that level. They were flexible with hours when I worked there but I have since been told they have moved to a "Wal-Mart" style of scheduling. You must be available for shifts within their template. Managers seemed to be pushed hard and the result was often stressed interactions.

Realize what you are, a store selling hobby goods. It isn't a life and death situation, relax a little and let people have fun with their job.

Still there

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its an okay place to work.

Cons

The upper management acts like you are beneath them. For the most part everyone is nice but there are always some that aren't. The pay could be better for what most of us do there everyday, I work my butt off there and some just seem to stand around all day. I just don't understand.

The company needs to consider closing on Thanksgiving so that their employees can spend it with their family's. It's only one day. that would be 2 days a year they could give back their employees for all their hard work. Show their appreciation to the employees.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Springfield, MO

I worked at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A job I enjoyed going to every day. It was always challenging, which meant I was never bored. There was always something new to learn and management was great about teaching and mentoring. I learned so much in the short time I was there. Very interesting company to work for, the customers are great and really enjoy what Bass Pro offers. This company is very family oriented, promoting family activities; they are also very involved in the community, wildlife, and fitness.

Cons

Pay and benefits were ok, but not great. Starting pay is fairly average, but yearly pay raises are small increments. Career advancement opportunities are there, but being such a large company, it's pretty competitive and can take many, many years to move up. Also, being a retail business, so much relies on the economy. How the economy is doing influences job security here.

Marine Lead, 8 years

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

Job Security is good. Friendly, easy going work atmosphere. Fairly good benefits.

Cons

Never will have a set schedule. Pay is fairly low. Not much advancement opportunities.

None

TACOMA's NEW STORE IS BEAUTIFUL - Great Company, Good Products, LOW PAY, Some Opportunities are there if you "PUSH".

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to be around the stuff you love - stuff for the outdoors, hunting and Fishing, and you get to talk to a lot of very nice nice people about what you love to do. The nice people you meet will make your day. There are opportunities with Bass Pro Shops if you work hard, know your stuff and love what you do. One guy here got hired to work with imagery (interior decorating) to open more new stores because he worked hard as hell and impressed people with his knowledge and "PUSHED" his way in, as he called it, to a higher position. It is what YOU MAKE it. BPS Founder Johnny Morris is a humble Christian man.

Cons

You get to be around the stuff you love all the time - stuff for the outdoors, hunting and Fishing, and you get to talk to a lot of strange & irritating people about what you love to do. People are the best and the worst thing about the job. They steal, AND BREAK STUFF, and waste your time... Oh yeah, and the pay is low. You will have no idea if a pay raise will ever come. "Oh yeah about that pay raise... I need you to work this Saturday AND SUNDAY." Schedules come out the day before you have to work. Fearful thing is that you may become just like the greeter at Wall Mart putting stickers on kids for minimum wage. I really HOPE this is not the case. To be determined at a later date. Founder Johnny Morris is humble BILLIONAIRE Christian man who gets teary eyed when he talks about how hard people have worked to make him a BILLIONAIRE. Just sayin' because, It's his money and he uses it as he wants and the Lord knows his heart not me. BUT I'd get teary eye too, trying to talk about people who have worked hard to make me rich. Sorry about that Johnny I know you have worked hard too.

So far so good. Management really pushes the BPS culture but that's OK for now as this is a new store and we are not sure how BPS culture will treat us in the end. Management has to be YES people because of the corporate culture but I have no serious criticisms so far. We'll see how they do in the next year of this store's being open in the Tacoma WA area. To Management: Give us hope that hard work pays off, recognise us, give us incentives to keep it up, let us make things better and reward us with more than a dollar when appropriate and you will keep the best employees. GET THE STUFF NORTH WESTERNERS NEED because it is not like any other area of the country or continent or the world! I am now impressed with the boats BPS is making for the NW, BUT the prices are still VERY HIGH. Cabelas has made the mistake of not getting the right stuff & is still not doing it right. BPS could do it right if they try just a little bit harder to impress upon "Basecamp" what we need.

Bass Pro Shops Photos