www.basspro.com

Updated November 20, 2014
2.9

Bass Pro Shops President and COO Jim Hagale
Jim Hagale

Pros
  • Good discount and overall a fun job (in 17 reviews)

• Employee Discount very generous, being around my favorite hobbies (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Doesn't matter how hard you work, or how hard you try, you are not appreciated (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management uses bullying tactics to get their way (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Springfield, MO

I worked at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A job I enjoyed going to every day. It was always challenging, which meant I was never bored. There was always something new to learn and management was great about teaching and mentoring. I learned so much in the short time I was there. Very interesting company to work for, the customers are great and really enjoy what Bass Pro offers. This company is very family oriented, promoting family activities; they are also very involved in the community, wildlife, and fitness.

Cons

Pay and benefits were ok, but not great. Starting pay is fairly average, but yearly pay raises are small increments. Career advancement opportunities are there, but being such a large company, it's pretty competitive and can take many, many years to move up. Also, being a retail business, so much relies on the economy. How the economy is doing influences job security here.

Marine Lead, 8 years

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

Job Security is good. Friendly, easy going work atmosphere. Fairly good benefits.

Cons

Never will have a set schedule. Pay is fairly low. Not much advancement opportunities.

None

TACOMA's NEW STORE IS BEAUTIFUL - Great Company, Good Products, LOW PAY, Some Opportunities are there if you "PUSH".

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to be around the stuff you love - stuff for the outdoors, hunting and Fishing, and you get to talk to a lot of very nice nice people about what you love to do. The nice people you meet will make your day. There are opportunities with Bass Pro Shops if you work hard, know your stuff and love what you do. One guy here got hired to work with imagery (interior decorating) to open more new stores because he worked hard as hell and impressed people with his knowledge and "PUSHED" his way in, as he called it, to a higher position. It is what YOU MAKE it. BPS Founder Johnny Morris is a humble Christian man.

Cons

You get to be around the stuff you love all the time - stuff for the outdoors, hunting and Fishing, and you get to talk to a lot of strange & irritating people about what you love to do. People are the best and the worst thing about the job. They steal, AND BREAK STUFF, and waste your time... Oh yeah, and the pay is low. You will have no idea if a pay raise will ever come. "Oh yeah about that pay raise... I need you to work this Saturday AND SUNDAY." Schedules come out the day before you have to work. Fearful thing is that you may become just like the greeter at Wall Mart putting stickers on kids for minimum wage. I really HOPE this is not the case. To be determined at a later date. Founder Johnny Morris is humble BILLIONAIRE Christian man who gets teary eyed when he talks about how hard people have worked to make him a BILLIONAIRE. Just sayin' because, It's his money and he uses it as he wants and the Lord knows his heart not me. BUT I'd get teary eye too, trying to talk about people who have worked hard to make me rich. Sorry about that Johnny I know you have worked hard too.

So far so good. Management really pushes the BPS culture but that's OK for now as this is a new store and we are not sure how BPS culture will treat us in the end. Management has to be YES people because of the corporate culture but I have no serious criticisms so far. We'll see how they do in the next year of this store's being open in the Tacoma WA area. To Management: Give us hope that hard work pays off, recognise us, give us incentives to keep it up, let us make things better and reward us with more than a dollar when appropriate and you will keep the best employees. GET THE STUFF NORTH WESTERNERS NEED because it is not like any other area of the country or continent or the world! I am now impressed with the boats BPS is making for the NW, BUT the prices are still VERY HIGH. Cabelas has made the mistake of not getting the right stuff & is still not doing it right. BPS could do it right if they try just a little bit harder to impress upon "Basecamp" what we need.

Need more time off

I worked at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

Some of the people you work are nice and friendly.

Cons

Can never get time off for family stuff or even school. People stay there because they need a job not because they really like it there

Work on letting people have more time off

Very busy, but you learn a lot!

Current Employee - Cashier/Customer Service in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Cashier/Customer Service in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are great. You meet a variety of people from all around the world (mostly Canada and Ireland) which is always fun. It was rare to get really upset customer's. There was always little complaints but hardly anything major. Good discount and overall a fun job.

Cons

The pay isn't great and could be better for such a large and successful company. Manager's tend to throw you under the bus a lot (which is part of being a manager I guess). The hours vary and during the busy season, if your part-time, they will work you as many hours as possible without being considered full-time. That means full-time work without benefits (39.5 hours a week).

I loved working here but it is truly a high school environment.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garland, TX

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They give you (or at least try very hard to) give you everyday you ask off for! The managers are all super nice and flexible. Very easy to get along with!

Cons

My problem was with the majority of the employees. Almost everyone there is dating each other or has dated one another and they are all OBSESSED with talking about each other and starting rumors. It's pretty ridiculous. I just brushed it off but then when they started involving me in it and it was effecting MY job I had to get out of there.

I worked my tail off for a year and then got a 10 cent raise. You called it "a huge step". I felt like I got slapped in the face. I worked overtime EVERY WEEK for 8 MONTHS. Maybe show some more appreciation to the employees who actually help your company thrive rather than the rumor-mill workers.

Ehh..

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

You get a good discount

Cons

no set schedule, pay is horrible, no flexibility when it comes to changing your schedule, and limited room for advancement.

Tracker/Marine GSM

Current Employee - GSM
    Current Employee - GSM

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment and good discounts

Cons

To many chiefs involved in the business and not too flexible for school schedule for managers. Your a manager and need to be here when we need you, no flexibility at all.

Pay your people better and you will retain more valuable employees. Biggest gripe I hear on the floor is that the pay needs to be better. Raises of 3%, come on guys, your making millions.

Hardest but most rewarding job i've ever had!

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

quality of the company. The way management treats you is unlike any other company. Customers that shop here are wonderful.Its fun. The promo they have for the customers are great.

Cons

The pay is not the best. The health insurance is a little pricy. Rely on other employees to train new hires instead of by the book if you are given poor training you continue to do it wrong

Appreciate the hard workers and look deep into the company to see who they are.

Awesome Work Environment, but still retail

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, IN

I worked at Bass Pro Shops full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

BPS is a very unique store to shop in and work at. The company does a great job recognizing employees for going above and beyond and they have a very generous employee discount. HR is in every building which is helpful. All managers have an open door policy. Lots of staff to get tasks, projects complete as well as help guests.

Cons

Swing shifts, lots of hours, working every weekend ...typical retail

Must have a better work life balance

Bass Pro Shops Photos