Bassett Furniture Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Bassett Furniture President, CEO, and Director Rob Spilman Jr.
Rob Spilman Jr.

Pros
  • Their design consultants truely care about their customers and want to help their clients make the best decisions (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • customer service in atlanta needs to be renewed-staff-wise (in 5 reviews)

• High end inventory priced a little too high for quality (in 4 reviews)

1. lots of hype for little pay

Current Employee - Design Consultant
    Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at Bassett Furniture full-time

Pros

Meet nice people, good training

Cons

Long hours, too many salespeople, unrealistic minimum sales to reach low pay commission, lots of down time

Advice to Management

Change commission and pay structure. .

2. Design Consultant

I have been working at Bassett Furniture

Pros

There are precious few pros: health insurance is one of them. You get to meet some interesting customers. You get to know the construction of furniture and what kind of fabric is good for upholstery.

Cons

Working long hours for very little pay. You have to make your draw before you can make commission and you are drilled to capture names and contact information of customrrs which you have to keep calling and emailing about sales. You have to fill out a form every Friday so the manager can keep tab on you about these solicitated calls.
    The company ethos is supposedly customer orientated, but not in practice. It is all about sell, sell, sell. In my opinion the furniture is overpriced for the quality. You have to keep lying to the customers about the value of the furniture.
    Management treats design consultants with the utmost of disrespect. You are not allowed to have an opinion at all. It is "yes ma'am, no ma'am, okay ma'am" and those who pretend to be all obedient and brainless are the favorites.
    There is a lot of strife and back biting between the designers, like hungry dogs fighting for a bone. It is an unhealthy and toxic environment.
    You have to make numbers. If you don't make your numbers three consecutive months, you get the boot and are escorted out like a criminal.
    I've seen someone who has been a loyal and hardworking designer getting fired after being with the company for ten years.
    There is a total disregard for the feelings and emotions of designers. You have to act like a machine and the more you brown nose, the more management like you.
    Stay away as far as possible!! Basset will suck you dry, chew you up and vomit you out.

Advice to Management

Treat your designers with dignity and respect. You cannot expect them to respect you if you treat them like dirt.
    Take into account that designers are human beings. They have days when they don't feel well, be it physically or emotionally. The way you treat your desingers is a disgrace and a shame. You are cold and heartless and do not know to work with people. Customers are constantly surprised by the regular turnover of designers.

3. Let's just say I will not look back

Former Employee - "Customer Care Specialist" in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - "Customer Care Specialist" in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Bassett Furniture

Pros

Great employees to work with, nothing more

Cons

Does not appreciate how much you put into company, has picks and chooses, constantly add duties to title but no raises

Advice to Management

Get a backbone, have a voice, when issues arise handle them and stop pushing under rug

5. Design Consultant

I have been working at Bassett Furniture

Pros

I enjoyed meeting lots of new and interesting people from all over the country, fairly good insurance and matches 401K, friendly co-workers

Cons

No training at all, only online very boring lessons by someone in a monotonous voice. Management are cruel and don't care about employees at all, it's all about selling. Management will step on you and over you and lie all the time. Very low commission. Employees get fired and new ones hired at an alarming rate. Bottom line is it is all about the numbers and management is untrained, cold and calculating.

Advice to Management

Get some real training in human realtions. Stop being lazy and help the employees. Empathize when needed. It is not all about you! The salespeople pay YOUR salary so treat them with diginity and respect.

6. Great

I have been working at Bassett Furniture

Pros

None really!nice people to work with

Cons

No money .hard to make sales for commission

Advice to Management

Profit sharing

Car Dealership Setting

Former Employee - Design Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Design Sales Consultant

I worked at Bassett Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The furniture and fabrics were beautiful. A few of the people working there were very nice and helpful and tried to make me feel welcome and would answer questions. I learned some helpful aspects such as furniture construction and what to look for as a buyer, which will be handy in the future.

Cons

Before I started I was presented with a very impressive looking training schedule that seemed to combine online classes, real time activities, manager coaching and role-playing. I was excited to get started. Unfortunately, the so-called training was being sat down in front of a computer for hours at a time doing online training in the break room so you couldn't even hear and were being constantly interrupted. No role playing or checking with manager as promised on the schedule so it was just going through online classes and online quizzes. Co-workers seemed to resent any questions and the manager was never available to help. I literally had to figure out on my own how to set up my email account, how to use the time clock and had to submit my HR documentation to get me set up in the system and my direct deposit prepared. I was put out on the floor to sell in my second week even though I was supposed to have 4 weeks of training before selling and I had no idea what I was doing. The atmosphere was sell, sell, sell without any true regard for the customer. Sales numbers were the ONLY thing that management seemed to care about and management had zero sense of humor. It was like working at a car dealership only selling sofas. Their corporate values claim to be customer-centric but our main goal was to sell as much furniture as possible whether the customer could afford it or not or whether they wanted it or not. Working both Saturday and Sunday, all day, every weekend, with no exceptions was the rule. I was lead to believe that there would be some flexibility or rotation, but that was not the case. Most days were 10-12 hour marathons and we didn't even get a break, much less lunch. I hated the entire experience. I don't know who would want to work there unless they were single, had no family, no outside responsibilities and no social life.

Advice to Management

As a former manager myself for many years, I understand that an integral part of a good overall work experience is to establish a supportive team culture. It seemed like any conversation outside of work-related subjects was frowned upon and no one may speak unless spoken to in a group setting. During staff meetings I witnessed grown, professional women being regularly treated like misbehaving children. I felt like I was back in high school again or something.

OK experience but questionable direction.

I have been working at Bassett Furniture

Pros

Casual atmosphere, decent pay, good product, benefits and amount of time off. Not tied to a desk, meet lots of people and build relationships with opportunities to go to clients homes. Company tries to be customer service oriented.

Cons

Designers are usually the fall out person where you have to make it work or your paycheck suffers. Yearly changes to pay structure and you can see you paycheck drop. Have to let a lot roll off your back and it gets tiring. Many changes esp. computer systems yet no benefits or improvements for store staff. Managers are unaccountable. Lots of ineffective paper pushing and fluff reports. Sales every other day that determine your schedule and can change monthly or even weekly. Every other Saturday is an 11+ hour day. Company is always working to grow their online sales and cut out the stores. Management is not interested in ideas or criticism, just get in line and smile. Heaven forbid a real problem happens this company puts their head in the sand.

Advice to Management

Keep up with design trends. Have a system of checks and balances, allow employees to give feedback and do not ignore the obvious. Improve transparency. Better hiring process and training of managers. The current system can not be successfully maintained.

9. Design Consultant

I worked at Bassett Furniture

Pros

friendly people to work with, overall good company to work for.

Cons

mandatory to work weekends and holidays, not much room for growth as design consultant

10. Very Satisfied

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Henrico, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Henrico, VA

I have been working at Bassett Furniture part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Products, Company name, location,loyalty to customers,Customers first.

Cons

Being too aggressive to survive the business. Do Not like stepping on others to get to the top.

Advice to Management

Everyone should work for the best of the company.

This is not a good company for interior designers.

Former Employee - Design Consultant
    Former Employee - Design Consultant

I worked at Bassett Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers and clients were wonderful, I enjoyed the occasional opportunity to be creative

Cons

The company sets unrealistic expectations- as a design consultant you will be required to work 40-50 hours a week, our district manager told us at one point we had to take home a list of people to call from our homes on our days off to try to get them into the store for a sale weekend. There is no regard for your personal life or schedule, days off change several times per month, often schedule changes were last minute and without warning. In January, our schedule was revised 4 times during the month. You have to sell a minimum of $42,000 each month just to cover your base pay, a commission draw of roughly $400 a week after taxes. If your sales fall below the minimum 3 times, regardless of any months that you exceeded the minimum, your employment is terminated on the spot without notice. I had been with the company for 20 months when I was suddenly discharged.

Advice to Management

Change the pay structure. Compensate your employees for their time, do away with the commission draw and required sales quotas, keep commission as a bonus incentive- not as a sole means of income.

RSS Feed </> Embed