Bassett Furniture Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Bassett Furniture President, CEO, and Director Rob Spilman Jr.
Rob Spilman Jr.

Pros
  • Their design consultants truely care about their customers and want to help their clients make the best decisions (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • customer service in atlanta needs to be renewed-staff-wise (in 5 reviews)

• Poor quality , over priced product (in 4 reviews)

Design Consultant

Former Employee - Sales and Design Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales and Design Consultant in Richmond, VA

I worked at Bassett Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros of this position are a draw pay every week. My boss was also very flexible and understanding when it came to scheduling and time off.

Cons

Working at Bassett you are required to work the full hours on the weekend. For me that meant every Saturday I would work 10 through 11 hours straight. The commission pay is ok but leaves you stressed to make your numbers every month

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a base pay. In addition it would be very beneficial to have every other weekend off.

2. Design Consultant

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Redmond, WA

I worked at Bassett Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work, great team, learning opportunities, rewarding work

Cons

Working weekends, slow customer traffic sometimes

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. Design Consultant

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Bassett Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing training
    - Great Colleagues
    - A minimum sales target has to be made every month, intial months could be difficult but once you get your repeat customers back, it becomes esier to match the draw and eventually earn more commision.

Cons

- Weekends and public holidays are always working. Alternate Saturdays it's generally 9:00 to 20:00.

Advice to Management

- A flexi time and option of getting at least one weekend off in a month

5. Great place

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Bassett Furniture

Pros

Good pay. Good people. Owns delivery service.

Cons

Long hours... But hey! It's retail.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Those stocks are making me rich!

6. lots of hype for little pay

Current Employee - Design Consultant
    Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at Bassett Furniture full-time

Pros

Meet nice people, good training

Cons

Long hours, too many salespeople, unrealistic minimum sales to reach low pay commission, lots of down time

Advice to Management

Change commission and pay structure. .

7. Design Consultant

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bassett Furniture

Pros

There are precious few pros: health insurance is one of them. You get to meet some interesting customers. You get to know the construction of furniture and what kind of fabric is good for upholstery.

Cons

Working long hours for very little pay. You have to make your draw before you can make commission and you are drilled to capture names and contact information of customrrs which you have to keep calling and emailing about sales. You have to fill out a form every Friday so the manager can keep tab on you about these solicitated calls.
    The company ethos is supposedly customer orientated, but not in practice. It is all about sell, sell, sell. In my opinion the furniture is overpriced for the quality. You have to keep lying to the customers about the value of the furniture.
    Management treats design consultants with the utmost of disrespect. You are not allowed to have an opinion at all. It is "yes ma'am, no ma'am, okay ma'am" and those who pretend to be all obedient and brainless are the favorites.
    There is a lot of strife and back biting between the designers, like hungry dogs fighting for a bone. It is an unhealthy and toxic environment.
    You have to make numbers. If you don't make your numbers three consecutive months, you get the boot and are escorted out like a criminal.
    I've seen someone who has been a loyal and hardworking designer getting fired after being with the company for ten years.
    There is a total disregard for the feelings and emotions of designers. You have to act like a machine and the more you brown nose, the more management like you.
    Stay away as far as possible!! Basset will suck you dry, chew you up and vomit you out.

Advice to Management

Treat your designers with dignity and respect. You cannot expect them to respect you if you treat them like dirt.
    Take into account that designers are human beings. They have days when they don't feel well, be it physically or emotionally. The way you treat your desingers is a disgrace and a shame. You are cold and heartless and do not know to work with people. Customers are constantly surprised by the regular turnover of designers.

8. Let's just say I will not look back

Former Employee - "Customer Care Specialist" in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - "Customer Care Specialist" in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Bassett Furniture

Pros

Great employees to work with, nothing more

Cons

Does not appreciate how much you put into company, has picks and chooses, constantly add duties to title but no raises

Advice to Management

Get a backbone, have a voice, when issues arise handle them and stop pushing under rug

9. CEO

I have been working at Bassett Furniture full-time

Pros

Customers are trusting because they remember the former business model and CEO

Cons

Management with a few exceptions ... CEO employees are pawns...no respect Customers are idiots...no respect. If you hate your position, get a different life

Advice to Management

Stop destroying this company

10. Great

I have been working at Bassett Furniture

Pros

None really!nice people to work with

Cons

No money .hard to make sales for commission

Advice to Management

Profit sharing

Car Dealership Setting

Former Employee - Design Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Design Sales Consultant

I worked at Bassett Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The furniture and fabrics were beautiful. A few of the people working there were very nice and helpful and tried to make me feel welcome and would answer questions. I learned some helpful aspects such as furniture construction and what to look for as a buyer, which will be handy in the future.

Cons

Before I started I was presented with a very impressive looking training schedule that seemed to combine online classes, real time activities, manager coaching and role-playing. I was excited to get started. Unfortunately, the so-called training was being sat down in front of a computer for hours at a time doing online training in the break room so you couldn't even hear and were being constantly interrupted. No role playing or checking with manager as promised on the schedule so it was just going through online classes and online quizzes. Co-workers seemed to resent any questions and the manager was never available to help. I literally had to figure out on my own how to set up my email account, how to use the time clock and had to submit my HR documentation to get me set up in the system and my direct deposit prepared. I was put out on the floor to sell in my second week even though I was supposed to have 4 weeks of training before selling and I had no idea what I was doing. The atmosphere was sell, sell, sell without any true regard for the customer. Sales numbers were the ONLY thing that management seemed to care about and management had zero sense of humor. It was like working at a car dealership only selling sofas. Their corporate values claim to be customer-centric but our main goal was to sell as much furniture as possible whether the customer could afford it or not or whether they wanted it or not. Working both Saturday and Sunday, all day, every weekend, with no exceptions was the rule. I was lead to believe that there would be some flexibility or rotation, but that was not the case. Most days were 10-12 hour marathons and we didn't even get a break, much less lunch. I hated the entire experience. I don't know who would want to work there unless they were single, had no family, no outside responsibilities and no social life.

Advice to Management

As a former manager myself for many years, I understand that an integral part of a good overall work experience is to establish a supportive team culture. It seemed like any conversation outside of work-related subjects was frowned upon and no one may speak unless spoken to in a group setting. During staff meetings I witnessed grown, professional women being regularly treated like misbehaving children. I felt like I was back in high school again or something.

RSS Feed </> Embed