Bastion Technologies

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014
3.9

Jorge Hernandez

Excellent fun in its NASA heyday

Current Employee - Documentation in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Documentation in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bastion Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance, good pay, friendly environment

Cons

Contracts being cancelled that end the fun

Systems Engineer

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Bastion Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hands-off management of senior people, very light touch regarding not having overbearing and stupid 'mandatory' training and policies.

Cons

Is a 'body shop'; when your contract is over, you are gone.

Do you really still need to supply people only? Develop an in-house expertise and sell that; you'd have employees who weren't always looking for a new job 'just in case'.

Shoulda Woulda Coulda

Current Employee - Engineer I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bastion Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and professional environment. Work life balance was excellent.

Cons

I received only two reviews in ten years of employment. Compensation is low. Little room for advancement.

Upper management needs to pay attention to what middle managers are doing.

Safety Engineer

I worked at Bastion Technologies

Pros

Great Company work life balance open door policy

Cons

Industry was declining, not much new business

Spend more money on Professional Development

Great work, people, and customers

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Bastion Technologies

Pros

Enjoy working on interesting spacecraft and instruments in support of NASA

Cons

Prime contractor (SGT) is unwilling to work as a team.

Good job, keep up the good work.

Experience has been challenging, rewarding, and fulfilling.

Current Employee - Deputy Program Manager in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Deputy Program Manager in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Bastion Technologies

Pros

It is an organization that is not laden with layers of management - at any time, an employee can call or email the owner and get a real-time response.

Working on the MSES contract on-site at Goddard is rewarding and to my knowledge, engineering personnel stay and have stayed for years because it's a great place to work. If you like a management that's not in your hair on a regular basis and let's you do what you do best (engineering), then you've found a home.

Promotions are given based on performance and yearly increases are better than other companies that support Goddard. Career growth depends on the individual and it's up to the employee to further their education (tuition and seminar reimbursement is available) with inspiration working at NASA among many talented and highly educated people.

Bastion has twice yearly team building events where high achievers are recognized and rewarded, regular all-hands meetings where all questions are welcomed and feedback on various issues given, and yearly performance appraisals where career matters are discussed along with recommendations to further a career.

The benefits package is on par with other NASA contractors and Bastion is known to pay on the higher end of salary ranges. There are two insurance plans with one plan that is provided free of charge to the employee. You can participate in a more expensive "buy up" plan to lower your out of pocket expenses if you are a high user of medical services. It's in everybody's best interest to have happy employees and I can attest to management's commitment to that principle.

Personal life is important to the management, so much so that assistance was available for those who had suffered during Hurricane Irene. When events such as bereavement, sickness, or family additions demand more attention to the home front, management is there to make sure the employee recognizes this and fully supports it as does our NASA customers.

Bastion's reputation at Goddard is improving all the time and it is the fruits of the many talented designers, engineers, analysts, and leads that support the many projects at Goddard. Management and employees alike share a common goal: to provide the best engineering support possible to our NASA customers.

Cons

The MSES contract (Cost Reimbursed) was acquired by SGT and thus Bastion is no longer a Prime on the contract (now a subcontractor). As a subcontractor, we have limited ability to find work for the engineering staff because we are dependent on the Prime.

Being a subcontractor imposes severe constraints on the PMO and has the effect of adding Prime Administrative/Fee costs on top of our costs to our NASA customers which leads to the perception that Bastion's costs are high.

The PMO shares facilities with the Prime and this limits my ability to provide items such as phones or computers to new hires on a timely basis. The PMO can't create an office environment unique to the Bastion culture.

Keep listening and responding to employee questions, continue to provide information related to the MSES contract as it becomes available, and continue to aggressively purse business development.

Had initinal promise, but had devolved

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Bastion Technologies

Pros

Addation 5% pay for each billable hour on MSES contract

Cons

When the A & B MSES contracts were merged in 2010, there were structural/policy changes that were made behind the scenes that the employees were never informed of.
    Prior
    1. When ending a task, would be placed on overhead while management actively look for work to place you.
    2. If you were laid-off, you did get a severance package.
    3. Layoffs were based on seniority.

Now:
    All of these benefits are gone! Some people had to find out the hard way this past spring.

It's up to you to find your own work. Bastion at GSFC has become a job-shop

Honesty and full communication with current employees. With the bad reputation that Bastion is gaiing at Goddard, it will be hard to retain/attrack employees in the future.

It has been postive as in gaining experience

I have been working at Bastion Technologies

Pros

Good Salary,Vacation time,holidays, flexibility with the job, small company everyone knows each other, good relationship with customers, and support

Cons

Not much mobility to move up,

acceptable not exceptional

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bastion Technologies

Pros

Retirement and Insurance plan is comparable to others in community

Cons

No foresight toward employee growth

Great Place To WOrk

I have been working at Bastion Technologies

Pros

Good people, interesting work, good benifits, an overall good experience. Training opportunities were good thru the customer, many chances to excel and be rewarded.

Cons

Ups and downs of the aerospace industry follow us where ever one goes, Bastion has been no different. This industry is known for the ups and downs.

Keep doing what you are doing, all information was disseminated openly and quickly, very good managemnt. Everyone was honest and they seemed to actually consider employees in decision making.