Bath Iron Works

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeffrey S. Geiger

Not too bad.

ProsLearning a lot from the apprenticeship program. The benefits are great.

ConsLeadership lacks the ability to communicate and organize a sound plan. The work environment is not very healthy, part of the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about costs day to day and focus on making a plan that makes sense.

Best job in the state, sadly.

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsLarge company with plenty of room to move. Great pay. Competitive benefits. Great people.

ConsManagement is clueless. Large company means you're just a number. Job security is terrible. Long hours, sometimes forced.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your people.

A challenge everyday

Senior Manager, Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Bath, ME

ProsWide variety of opportunities, as many skills to master as a University

ConsTrying to FIX too much at once, not enough accountability, too much on too few

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, they have a lot to share about cracking the code to lowering your cost

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Only place in this area that pays well but the company is continuously attacking the Union Benefits!

3D CAD Designer (Current Employee) Bath, ME

ProsGood Benefits and pay for the area and the businesses that benefit from the company and it's employees!

ConsMiddle and Upper Management like to nitpic, play favorites and take care of their relatives and friends!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop threatening the employees, use them like you would want to be used and they will work harder for you!

Historical company. Salaried at severe disadvantage

Human Resources Representative (Current Employee) Bath, ME

ProsBIW is a historic company which has always kept the city of Bath and the mid-coast region of Maine employed. The pay is above industry average. No one ever gets fired. Unlimited sick time.

ConsWhere to begin?

Every employee clocks in and is expected to clock 40 hours. Even Salaried Exempt employees. All except upper management and those employees on Executive Comp. there is no flex at all. If you work less than 40 hours, BAM, vacation time gone for every hour, or fraction of an hour, missed. All hours are watched and reported on. Sick time, although unlimited, is highly discouraged. If sick time is taken, time accounting does not log a sick day until Saturday because whatever time you missed is expected to be made up as much as possible.
    Each week my department is given a sheet of paper with sick time vs. overtime on it and your overtime BETTER be higher than your sick time or you are on "the list". The list is the record of that sick vs overtime average and if you appear on that list more than a few times you are moved up in the lay off list. Basically, we live in fear of being sick cause we'll be the next to go.

The unions run the shipyard, when negotiations are underway every salaried employee knows there will be cuts to something of theirs because the union will get everything they ask for.

The benefits for salaried employees have been cut and the cost raised every year. The good plans have all been eliminated and all salaried are being pushed into the HSA plan.

Every employee starts with just ten days of vacation and of those ten days, the shipyard basically tells you that you need to burn 4 of them for the holiday shutdown...while the union employees get those days off with pay. Upon hiring, an employee may request 2 additional days of vacation. If granted, the employee is told that those two days are an advance on their five year additional days. So when five years comes....you get no more days. Basically, you have to work ten years until you can earn more than 12 days of vacation.

Yearly merit increases have been halted every other year in lieu of lump sum bonuses equalling about 1.9% yet, executive compensation is never halted and union annually negotiated bonuses of $3000 a person are never stopped.

Nepotism is also a big deal. Sons working for fathers and being promoted over more experienced, senior professionals. It's a mess.

Basically, the shipyard has been around forever and, sometimes it runs itself like it has. The motto of BIW shouldn't be "Bath Built is Best Built", it should be "This the way we've always done it, don't try to change us"

Advice to Senior ManagementDisband the union, thin the herd in upper management (or bring in fresh blood), stop the nepotism, and listen to your people.

It's not all bad. 35 yr employee who has worked everywhere there & done a wide variety of jobs, onbd & office.

Local 7 Planning Technician (Current Employee) Bath, ME

ProsTop pay in Local 6 & 7 is decent for our area, considering most jobs don't require a college degree. You can't make that in many other places in Me. Good benefits for the times, especially long time employees. You have a good chance of moving around to other trades & planning (office) work if you want a change. The unions are essential in this environment. As it is now, contracts are nothing compared to the Reagan years, but if you want a life in Me, it's the only place to be. Variety of shift options.

ConsVery poor management at all levels. When General Dynamics took over they "laid off" many lifetime supervisors without considering their knowledge & respect by their peers. No current employee will become one since, so they hire "supervisors" off the street with zero experience. Supervisor benefits are terrible compared to union workers too. We have a vice president from the now closed Maine Yankee power plant, supervisors who are related to someone, to some who worked at a car parts store. Most think they already know more than lifetime employees, lowering moral. Parking is terrible in Bath. .

Advice to Senior ManagementYou got rid of all the older supervisors who had a variety of experience & knowledge for young blood. Look what you have now! Supervisors off the street who have never set foot on a ship, let alone know anything about shipbuilding, or handling a crew. No current employee in their right mind would ever take a salaried position. Stop promoting bigwigs relatives so fast. It seems they are the problem children. Another person is the worst & everyone knows it, yet at one time he was head of ETHICS - unreal! Seems he's untouchable. It's all who you are & what you have on someone. Very poor moral. Workers pay raises can never keep up with inflation. "Bonus's are a joke - 45% tax off the top, yet it's a better tax break for YOU vs an hourly increase. You continually worry about little thing like the cost of earplugs? You have much bigger issues that you totally ignore. Your solution is to hire more supervisors that know zilch about shipbuilding, yet have layoffs in areas that need the workforce. Money is no object for hiring supervision. The ratio is astounding of worker to supervisor. Yes, they are the young blood you wanted, and we are now living with the consequences.

Great place to work, but with low job security

Designer (Former Employee) Bath, ME

ProsOn the job training, overtime, a relaxed environment, casual dress code, broad age range, interesting work, annual raises and frequent cost of living raises. Depending on what union you belong to, you can have some insane flex time benefits. I never had to work a full Friday.

ConsLow job security. It's an unstable industry, so layoffs are pretty unavoidable for most positions here. If you belong to one of the unions, the order is done by seniority, and getting called back is done this way as well. As nice as it is to be in a union, you will surely have co-workers who take advantage of the situation. They are either lazy or don't know what they're doing, but no action will be taken against them.

The best career I never planned for.

Supervisor (Current Employee) Bath, ME

ProsExciting, challenging work in a modern production environment. Fast paced, intense, and an absolute joy to see our products in action.

ConsThe company has not fully embraced the culture being developed by modern companies. Complacency and an aversion to change can sometimes make progress an extreme effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication builds trust.

No women in management

Engineer (Former Employee) Bath, ME

ProsGood training ground for enginers for first year.

ConsPay and benefits not compeitive for experienced engineers. Benefits better for unionized workers,
    No women in management. Women need not apply.
    Supervisor training is desparately needed. Training only available in technical areas for union. workers.
    No whistleblower system to report wrongdoing.
    Heavy drug use onsite.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the chauvinism
    Move some women into senior management.
    Do random drug testing.

Engineers, Jeez!

Designer (Current Employee) North Bath, ME

ProsBath Iron Works has a good salary base, considering the area we do business in. Vacation time, paid sick time, all better than other area jobs. Can't really compare BIW to any other business in the state of Maine.

ConsCompany seems to love pitting union against non union, company spends ridiculous amounts of time requesting ideas to streamline the company and then has little to no follow through. Some Engineers have been allowed to develop the attitude that they know everything and anyone in a union knows considerably less. Esp. true when it's an Engineer arguing with a mechanic who's been doing the job longer than said Engineer has been alive. Company supports this type of conflict.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of asking for more input on how to streamline job performance, how about implementing more of the ideas you've been given? Yes, some will be duds but some you think won't work just might surprise you.
    Also, support needs to be better implemented between union and non-union workers. We are all building the same ships and since job security is upper most in everyone's mind, this would go a long way to help building team work versus team squabbles. Doing so could bring about the streamlining you desire.

Worked for Bath Iron Works? Contribute to the Community!