Bath Iron Works

Jeffrey S. Geiger

Technical Clerk for Bath Iron Works

Current Employee - Technical Clerk in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Technical Clerk in Portland, ME

I have been working at Bath Iron Works full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I get to sit at a computer and update Access and Excel databases.
    I perform Quality Assurance reviews of paper drawings, looking for simple mistake like missing page numbers and such.
    My co-workers are nice people, friendly and caring. My supervisors have all been very nice.
    I am in a Union, so the benefits are among the best available in this state, including health care, dental care and 401K.
    I started in 2010 making over $16/hr... no college degree.
    I love that I can go to work in jeans and sneakers.

Cons

Sometimes people get shuffled around to other positions they don't like as much as where they were previously. Also the company goes through spurts when there are a bunch of layoffs. The parking situation in downtown Bath, Maine is horrendous... a lot of people have to park at satellite lots and take a bus in to work.

Fred Harris is a greatly competent President. We are in good hands.

No longer a good place to work

Current Employee - Management in Bath, ME
    Current Employee - Management in Bath, ME

I have been working at Bath Iron Works full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It has a proud and experienced workforce. Pay is on par with market. Benefits are not as good as they used to be but aren't horrible.

Cons

It used to be a good company to work for, but that changed over the past year. Higher levels of management don't listen to employees or treat employees with respect. Morale is low and continues to degrade. Also little to no training.

Bad company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Bath, ME
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Bath, ME

I worked at Bath Iron Works full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is the only Pro that Bath Iron Works has to offer

Cons

No matter how hard you work being salary or union. The company does not care about their employee health or anything else for that matter. Point being, they just don't care.

Look at the people that have busted there butt for years and take that into consideration. Upper department management has to much power to place judgment on a hard working employee

Great company

I have been working at Bath Iron Works

Pros

People are usually very helpful

Cons

Parking is very tough to find

Not the same company I worked for 10 yrs ago

Current Employee - Designer in Brunswick, ME
    Current Employee - Designer in Brunswick, ME

I have been working at Bath Iron Works full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's the only game in town

Cons

Management doesn't have a clue and constantly losing benefits, but upper management is reaping all the hard work done by people in the trenches.

Management needs to listen and promote within, people off the street put into Supervisor or Management positions is not the way to go. Management needs to show appreciation for what people do.

Best job in the state, sadly.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Bath Iron Works full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large company with plenty of room to move. Great pay. Competitive benefits. Great people.

Cons

Management is clueless. Large company means you're just a number. Job security is terrible. Long hours, sometimes forced.

Get to know your people.

A challenge everyday

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Senior Project Manager in Bath, ME
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Senior Project Manager in Bath, ME

I have been working at Bath Iron Works full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wide variety of opportunities, as many skills to master as a University

Cons

Trying to FIX too much at once, not enough accountability, too much on too few

Listen to your employees, they have a lot to share about cracking the code to lowering your cost

Not too bad.

I have been working at Bath Iron Works full-time

Pros

Learning a lot from the apprenticeship program. The benefits are great.

Cons

Leadership lacks the ability to communicate and organize a sound plan. The work environment is not very healthy, part of the business.

Stop worrying about costs day to day and focus on making a plan that makes sense.

Only place in this area that pays well but the company is continuously attacking the Union Benefits!

Current Employee - 3D CAD Designer in Bath, ME
    Current Employee - 3D CAD Designer in Bath, ME

I have been working at Bath Iron Works full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and pay for the area and the businesses that benefit from the company and it's employees!

Cons

Middle and Upper Management like to nitpic, play favorites and take care of their relatives and friends!

Stop threatening the employees, use them like you would want to be used and they will work harder for you!

Historical company. Salaried at severe disadvantage

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Bath, ME
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Bath, ME

I have been working at Bath Iron Works full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BIW is a historic company which has always kept the city of Bath and the mid-coast region of Maine employed. The pay is above industry average. No one ever gets fired. Unlimited sick time.

Cons

Where to begin?

Every employee clocks in and is expected to clock 40 hours. Even Salaried Exempt employees. All except upper management and those employees on Executive Comp. there is no flex at all. If you work less than 40 hours, BAM, vacation time gone for every hour, or fraction of an hour, missed. All hours are watched and reported on. Sick time, although unlimited, is highly discouraged. If sick time is taken, time accounting does not log a sick day until Saturday because whatever time you missed is expected to be made up as much as possible.
    Each week my department is given a sheet of paper with sick time vs. overtime on it and your overtime BETTER be higher than your sick time or you are on "the list". The list is the record of that sick vs overtime average and if you appear on that list more than a few times you are moved up in the lay off list. Basically, we live in fear of being sick cause we'll be the next to go.

The unions run the shipyard, when negotiations are underway every salaried employee knows there will be cuts to something of theirs because the union will get everything they ask for.

The benefits for salaried employees have been cut and the cost raised every year. The good plans have all been eliminated and all salaried are being pushed into the HSA plan.

Every employee starts with just ten days of vacation and of those ten days, the shipyard basically tells you that you need to burn 4 of them for the holiday shutdown...while the union employees get those days off with pay. Upon hiring, an employee may request 2 additional days of vacation. If granted, the employee is told that those two days are an advance on their five year additional days. So when five years comes....you get no more days. Basically, you have to work ten years until you can earn more than 12 days of vacation.

Yearly merit increases have been halted every other year in lieu of lump sum bonuses equalling about 1.9% yet, executive compensation is never halted and union annually negotiated bonuses of $3000 a person are never stopped.

Nepotism is also a big deal. Sons working for fathers and being promoted over more experienced, senior professionals. It's a mess.

Basically, the shipyard has been around forever and, sometimes it runs itself like it has. The motto of BIW shouldn't be "Bath Built is Best Built", it should be "This the way we've always done it, don't try to change us"

Disband the union, thin the herd in upper management (or bring in fresh blood), stop the nepotism, and listen to your people.