Bath & Body Works

Updated February 16, 2015
4.0

Bath & Body Works CEO Nick Coe
Nick Coe

Pros
  • They give free products for employees to try and improve product knowledge (in 73 reviews)

• Great Products - you'll get a lot of free samples (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Call in shifts (What an abusive tactic) I have seen employees have nothing but (in 129 reviews)

• Work life balance is almost non-existent, especially when you reach management levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great to work for if you have a flexible manager that values their employees

Former Employee - Temporay Sales Lead in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Temporay Sales Lead in Columbus, OH

I worked at Bath & Body Works (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun to get gratis and to be able to try the new scents before they are rolled out. Fun product to sell in a very friendly environment.

Cons

Low pay for the amount of accountability and responsibility for key holders. Unfortunately the store manager truly holds the atmosphere of the store in their hands. Too many cliquey managers that turn employees against one another

Job is demanding at times, I stayed because I love the people I work with.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Bath & Body Works part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company gives their employees samples of new products before they are released, we receive discounts at all of the Limited Brand stores, and there are fun little contests now and then. I have been working as a sales associate for a little more than six years now. I love the company but I think I should be receiving more money that I am, my starting wage was around $7.00 an hour and I am now making a little more than $9.00. That is only because minimum wage has been raised throughout the years. Overall I enjoy working there, if I didn't I would have quit a long time ago.

Cons

As a customer myself, I do not enjoy aggressive sales associates and at Bath & Body Works we are required/have to be aggressive with customers in order to make the sales goal for that day. Sometimes during my work shifts I felt like I was losing my mind due to the pressure that the company put on the managers and associates to badger and convince the customers to buy anything and everything. Another part of the job I thing could use some improving is the rearrangement of the store (floor sets), shifts can be at all hours of the day and usually last until like 3:00 am - 5:00 am.

Placing so much importance upon associates to only focus on selling is stressful and creates anxiety. Also I think the lotion demos where we are required to rub it on their hands is strange, I feel uncomfortable and some people don't like being touched by some random person.

Great experience but not pay

Former Employee - Director in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Director in Columbus, OH

I worked at Bath & Body Works full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment, talented people, great structure and opportunity to learn and grow

Cons

I loved working for them but despite their claims of competitive pay they are on the low end of the spectrum. You will work at a full level above your title and get paid on the low end of your title. I started at an entry level, left at a director level and literally double my salary within 3 years of leaving.

Promoting from within is great just don't discount the value of outside talent

great company that you will get attached to

Current Employee - Customer Sales Lead in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Sales Lead in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Bath & Body Works part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits even for part time sales leads, a product you can love and believe in, fair compensation compared to other retail environments, easy floorsets compared to other retail environments, well explained company tools and great gratis and discounts on products.

Cons

company can change direction at any time. unrealistic idea of work/life balance. Difficult to move up in the company as some dms would rather hire externally than promote internally and the promotion schedule is not direct. if you are a sales lead in a low volume store you would have to be moved as a sales lead to a higher volume store before you would be considered for a co manager position at a low volume store (lateral moves before positive moves).

get rid of the antiquated conversion counters and customer traffic counters. allow us to build a rapport with our customers based on their needs and products rather than forcing us to fret over their child running in and out of the store multiple times causing a false report for conversion.

Decent job for sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, OH

I worked at Bath & Body Works part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Up to date info on the sales and new products. The store usually smells good

Cons

The last minute floor sets and layout changes. Not all stores setup the same so layouts not always functional.

Work in a smaller store and assist in last minute floor sets and see how the designing and sales department is not familiar with the smaller market stores.

Good part time job with great discounts; however, there is immense stress on reaching sales goals.

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Reynoldsburg, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Reynoldsburg, OH

I worked at Bath & Body Works part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with , many opportunities to work up in the company.

Cons

Work life balance is almost non-existent, especially when you reach management levels. As a sales associate you are asked to do an extraordinary amount of work for the small hourly wage you are given.

Nurture good employees to feel empowered and want to be great so they will help create the greatest customer experiences. Reward those employees that are going above and beyond

Hectic holidays season retail but I knew what I was getting into!

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Reynoldsburg, OH
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Reynoldsburg, OH

I worked at Bath & Body Works part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The other employees tend to be fun! So in the midst if the work, you enjoy your shift. You get to try all the scents! And smell delicious at all times.

Cons

You buy way too much! Inventory in the back is crazy! They change floor plans dates at a minute notice and that can mean unexpected late weekday nights. You have to be prepared for the holiday and semi annual rush. Be comfortable with the long lines and crowded aisles. :)

My only advice is to be clear and have a standing floor set schedule.

Exciting Place To Work

Former Employee - Director of Packaging in Reynoldsburg, OH
    Former Employee - Director of Packaging in Reynoldsburg, OH

I worked at Bath & Body Works full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very creative environment. You will learn a ton about merchandising.

Cons

Difficult to become an insider.

Listen to the store people.

Appreciation lacking but many good points

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Bath & Body Works full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazingly talented pool of people, strong sense of community, constant learning

Cons

Lack of appreciation for great results and dedication. Long hours, slim chances for advancement.

A little praise and recognition go a long way to creating happy employees - treat them like the talented folks they are. Don't forget who your customer is - it is not you in your corner office it is the lady in Average, USA who thinks your products are luxurious and a treat.

Brand Merchant

Former Employee - Brand Merchant in Reynoldsburg, OH
    Former Employee - Brand Merchant in Reynoldsburg, OH

I worked at Bath & Body Works full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great energy, exciting products, innovative thinking, vertical integration, above average pay

Cons

Very cliquey, heavy meeting schedule

Bath & Body Works Photos