Battelle Memorial

Updated October 17, 2014
3.1

Battelle Memorial President and CEO Jeff Wadsworth
Jeff Wadsworth

Pros
  • Very good benefits (though they have changed to meet industry norms) (in 13 reviews)

• Great people to work with and the work life balance is also great (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There are way too many layers of management and their only concern is to further their own careers not to look out for their direct reports (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management is top heavy and constant restructuring was frustrating (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Battelle is a good place to work...

I have been working at Battelle Memorial

Pros

Provides a challenging work environment, encourages professional development and rewards for work performance

Cons

Compensation can be challenging depending on business line

Nice staff, company needs strong, long-term strategy.

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice staff, people of integrity dedicated to solving difficult problems. Always interesting because of the variety of issues. Not too big.

Cons

There is an atmosphere of fear that pervades the company. People are concerned about job loss due to the steady pace of staff laid off over the past 5 years. It has a chilling impact.

Get a long-term strategic plan. Invest in your management teams by providing more management training and support staff.

Research Grind

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Columbus, OH

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Battelle was a fun and interesting place to work. We got to work on very interesting projects. Battelle has significant resources, that when properly utilized, can magnify the impact or the research or project upon which you are working It is a very stable work environment. If you are a good worker, you don't need to fear losing your job.

Cons

The office culture at Battelle is degenerate In many ways the employee interactions with the company are tainted by a huge asymmetry of expectations and values. Battelle management culture attaches huge value to the privilege of working there, which in my experience was not supported by the local marketplace, unless you assign some large value to the small amount of prestige that Battelle has in the area. I got the feeling that the management views the employee as a resource to be exploited. In many of their business lines, I think they can get away with it, because they are a local monopoly. Be prepared to be managed. I don't know a better way to explain it without coming across as a bitter ex-employee, which I am not, but you will be managed. If you think about management as a synonym of manipulation I think you will get what I mean. I prefer to be lead, or even to lead. Politics abounds at Battelle. Poor business decisions made for political reasons. Be prepared to have unqualified employees assigned to your projects for political reasons. Your managers will ask you to 'donate time' to the company to save projects, or even increase their profitability. It is not a donation, but an expectation for the 'privilege' of working at Battelle. Be prepared for abysmally bad management. Be prepared to work almost exclusively on Government Contracts. There are a lot of inefficiencies at Battelle that strongly discourage private companies from buying their product. The Motto is the Business of Innovation, but it really is the business of evolution. The culture there makes real innovation difficult to accomplish, because of the inherent risk, but there is still a lot of interesting stuff can be done evolving the existing projects. There are a lot of inefficiencies at Battelle, and you need to be prepared to carry the load for the inefficiencies, because actually fixing those inefficiencies does not seem politically possible with the current environment. In many ways, Battelle is a micro-socialistic economy, so if that type of thing appeals to you then you will love it. Battelle does donate a portion of its profits to charity, but in my case this goes in the 'con' Section, due to the nature of the charities to which they donate. Politics abounds at Battelle and that even influences the charitable side of things, so their is a definite Leftist-Socialist leaning in all of the charities to which they donate. I spoke the departement responsible for charitable giving one time, and they showed me their donation guidelines which basically guarantee that they will only donate to Neutral or Leftist charities. If you find yourself agreeing with the Hobby Lobby and their way of doing business, then you will have a hard time working to generate profit for Battelle, if you really think about it. In the end there is a lot of interesting stuff that you can end up doing if you are willing to put your head down and look the other way as horrible business decisions are made, but despite all that you will still have some moderate professional success. If you are looking for a good salary, a stable job, and a pension, and don't really care about any of these other factors, Battelle may be the place for you.

Low morale among employees

I have been working at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and the work life balance is also great. There always seems to be something different and interesting to work on.

Cons

Upper level management has ruined the culture of the company. There are way too many layers of management and their only concern is to further their own careers not to look out for their direct reports.

Great scientific and technical staff; average to middling management

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great scientific and technical staff. Nice, hard working people.

Cons

Top heavy; high overheads; lacking overall vision despite some excellent groups upon which to build.

Ignorance is bliss if you just need to put in time somewhere.

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a good work-life balance, and their downtown location offers a gym membership if you are located at that site. You can get a free pedometer and discount tickets to see the AAA baseball team.

Cons

Promotions and raises are far below "industry standard". Company is a non-profit, contract manufacturer, and so improvements for the company do not move forward unless funded by one of the contracts.

The company pension plan shouldn't be the only nail holding down your employee turn-over rate. You eliminated the paternity leave, and changed 1000 hours of sick time to 16. The tuition reimbursement policy discriminates against those not in management, and funding can instantly cease while a staff member is mid-term of a program without justification, reason or just cause. The "world's largest non-profit R&D organization" should be investing in its staff, and when asked about these issues, I was told that it doesn't have to compare benefits to all companies its size, but rather just to other non-profit organizations.

lots of diverse work!

Current Employee - Researcher in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Researcher in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

cross-departmental collaboration, employee resource groups, approachable management

Cons

little overhead time given to training or other overhead activities

talk the talk and walk the walk, continue to make BMI a positive place to work

Battelle Memorial Institute

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Battelle has been a great company to work for. Their work covers diverse industries....benefits are some of the best around (including a pension plan)....HQ Offices (Admin, HR, Accounting, Travel, etc) are actually friendly and helpful....and they match up to $10,000 per employee for charitable contributions....

Cons

Career opportunities are quite limited if you are not a Research Scientist...

Contracts Administrator review

Current Employee - Contracts Administrator in Richland, WA
    Current Employee - Contracts Administrator in Richland, WA

I have been working at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have great benefits and competitive salaries. My experience with management has been that they are very flexible to schedules and personal needs as long as you are able to accomplish your work. Hard work is rewarded, at least in my experience (I know this is not always the case however).

Cons

Depending on your education (no matter experience) you may have trouble being promoted into higher level positions. Sometimes people get caught up in the popularity contests rather than their jobs at hand.

Continue to communicate well with staff/employees. Make them aware of upcoming challenges in advance. People don't like to be surprised.

Good company but needs to be more competitive

Current Employee - Senior Office Administrative in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Office Administrative in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and pension account; promotes charity; work with some really great and talented people;

Cons

Compensation low for job type and raises are almost nil; must use two of our PTO days for government holidays;

Senior management should ask themselves how they would like to be treated if in the same position of worker;

Battelle Memorial Photos