Battelle Memorial

Updated December 15, 2014
3.2

Battelle Memorial President and CEO Jeff Wadsworth
Jeff Wadsworth

Pros
  • Very good benefits (though they have changed to meet industry norms) (in 13 reviews)

• Great people to work with and the work life balance is also great (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There are way too many layers of management and their only concern is to further their own careers not to look out for their direct reports (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management is top heavy and constant restructuring was frustrating (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

All around stable & solid employer, but a little low on the 'excitement' factor

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Stable & consistent research organization in the face of dwindling funding
    -Amazing team approach and affable coworkers in my unit (health)
    -Best supervisor and professional mentorship in my career to this day
    -Interesting work opportunities on high level government projects

Cons

-Bureaucracy inline with a large organization and government contractors. Takes a lot of steps and approvals to accomplish small tasks.
    -Lack of choice of exciting, innovative projects - just have to do whatever work is available.
    -Not cutting edge with benefits and perks a la SAS, Google, etc.

Create stronger, more competitive benefit packages for women in science.
    Identify and cultivate employee strengths/potential more.

Nice place to work,

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Columbus, OH

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, good facilities, and decent benefits

Cons

little recognition for average worker, multi-layered heavy style management

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Battelle Memorial as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Many great brains around. Most experienced staff i have seen. Direct Communication with Management people. Great work environment. Interesting project to work for.

Cons

Tight on budget. No operational activity for any section. Only Research base company. Not many young professionals in the staff.

Very good company to work for

Current Employee - Technologist in Richland, WA
    Current Employee - Technologist in Richland, WA

I have been working at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good for this industry

Cons

Retirement is being reduced almost every year

Change retirement to previous levels

Automating is not necessarily your friend, nor is upper management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Okay place to work if you have been there less than 4 years. You don't know how good it was prior to that time.

Cons

We "old-timers" remember when it was a great place to work. Since the system was changed 4 years ago, I saw a lot of people with 35 plus years literally walked out the door. Hiring from the outside is the trend, whether it is from outside of the group or outside of the institute. You would think it would make sense to train lower level positions to be able to step in when the next level opens up, but that's not the way it works. Also, when a process is automated, it is not tested first. It is put into process and the bugs worked out later.

Train entry levels to step in the next position up when one becomes vacant instead of going outside of the group or the institute. When you give good evaluations, let the employee know what they need to do to move into a higher position, instead of getting their hopes up and put someone else in the position instead. Also, when you let a person go, at least help them find an open position in the company instead of just sending them out the door.

Battelle is a good place to work...

I have been working at Battelle Memorial

Pros

Provides a challenging work environment, encourages professional development and rewards for work performance

Cons

Compensation can be challenging depending on business line

Nice staff, company needs strong, long-term strategy.

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice staff, people of integrity dedicated to solving difficult problems. Always interesting because of the variety of issues. Not too big.

Cons

There is an atmosphere of fear that pervades the company. People are concerned about job loss due to the steady pace of staff laid off over the past 5 years. It has a chilling impact.

Get a long-term strategic plan. Invest in your management teams by providing more management training and support staff.

Research Grind

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Columbus, OH

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Battelle was a fun and interesting place to work. We got to work on very interesting projects. Battelle has significant resources, that when properly utilized, can magnify the impact or the research or project upon which you are working It is a very stable work environment. If you are a good worker, you don't need to fear losing your job.

Cons

The office culture at Battelle is degenerate In many ways the employee interactions with the company are tainted by a huge asymmetry of expectations and values. Battelle management culture attaches huge value to the privilege of working there, which in my experience was not supported by the local marketplace, unless you assign some large value to the small amount of prestige that Battelle has in the area. I got the feeling that the management views the employee as a resource to be exploited. In many of their business lines, I think they can get away with it, because they are a local monopoly. Be prepared to be managed. I don't know a better way to explain it without coming across as a bitter ex-employee, which I am not, but you will be managed. If you think about management as a synonym of manipulation I think you will get what I mean. I prefer to be lead, or even to lead. Politics abounds at Battelle. Poor business decisions made for political reasons. Be prepared to have unqualified employees assigned to your projects for political reasons. Your managers will ask you to 'donate time' to the company to save projects, or even increase their profitability. It is not a donation, but an expectation for the 'privilege' of working at Battelle. Be prepared for abysmally bad management. Be prepared to work almost exclusively on Government Contracts. There are a lot of inefficiencies at Battelle that strongly discourage private companies from buying their product. The Motto is the Business of Innovation, but it really is the business of evolution. The culture there makes real innovation difficult to accomplish, because of the inherent risk, but there is still a lot of interesting stuff can be done evolving the existing projects. There are a lot of inefficiencies at Battelle, and you need to be prepared to carry the load for the inefficiencies, because actually fixing those inefficiencies does not seem politically possible with the current environment. In many ways, Battelle is a micro-socialistic economy, so if that type of thing appeals to you then you will love it. Battelle does donate a portion of its profits to charity, but in my case this goes in the 'con' Section, due to the nature of the charities to which they donate. Politics abounds at Battelle and that even influences the charitable side of things, so their is a definite Leftist-Socialist leaning in all of the charities to which they donate. I spoke the departement responsible for charitable giving one time, and they showed me their donation guidelines which basically guarantee that they will only donate to Neutral or Leftist charities. If you find yourself agreeing with the Hobby Lobby and their way of doing business, then you will have a hard time working to generate profit for Battelle, if you really think about it. In the end there is a lot of interesting stuff that you can end up doing if you are willing to put your head down and look the other way as horrible business decisions are made, but despite all that you will still have some moderate professional success. If you are looking for a good salary, a stable job, and a pension, and don't really care about any of these other factors, Battelle may be the place for you.

Low morale among employees

I have been working at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and the work life balance is also great. There always seems to be something different and interesting to work on.

Cons

Upper level management has ruined the culture of the company. There are way too many layers of management and their only concern is to further their own careers not to look out for their direct reports.

Great scientific and technical staff; average to middling management

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great scientific and technical staff. Nice, hard working people.

Cons

Top heavy; high overheads; lacking overall vision despite some excellent groups upon which to build.

Battelle Memorial Photos