Battelle and Battelle Reviews

1 Rating

Walkin' the Walk and Rootin' for the Home Team

Former Contractor - Demil Lead
    Former Contractor - Demil Lead

I worked at Battelle and Battelle as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

I sacrificed a solid career track that promised excellent financial reward for an opportunity to join Battelle straight out of school with a fresh B.Sc. degree. Best move I could have made. I had outstanding mentors and an exciting and challenging environment. I enjoyed many self-identified opportunies to make substantial contributions, and was well-trained and compensated.

Cons

There always seems to be some knuckleheads wherever one goes, but I have no knocks on the company. The only con is that I will no longer be working for Battelle. After decades of accomplished performance and contribution, I and 100's of my co-workers (including some highly educated, ethical and qualified scientists and managers) have worked ourselves out of a job by successfully executing our contract(s) on behalf of Battelle. It was a great ride I'll remember fondly. Lots of great people. As generous a severance package as any non-manager could find, and the work experience and opportunities prepared those who did not squander them for a bright future indeed. I'm gonna be needin' me some new shades!

Advice to Management

I don't presume to advise management.

2. Directionless, punch-dark leadership swinging at air

Former Employee - Principal Researcher in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Principal Researcher in Columbus, OH

I worked at Battelle and Battelle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fascinating projects There is an awareness that the work is having a positive impact on society Smaller teams, and really smart people. The culture is one of respect, politeness, and for the most part is non-hostile (at least in Health & Analytics) Mostly a stress-free, happy work environment (when you are not stressed out about losing your job)

Cons

Very odd environment, extremely introverted. A workplace where people shut their doors all day and rarely come out except to eat and use the bathroom. Hard to make friends. A revolving door. Seems like people are always being downsized and new people coming in. The net/net is that the company is shrinking A lot of competition between departments. Seems like they fight over scraps, grants, etc. Lots of turf wars. The oddest thing with Battelle is that it feels like employment there is a game of musical chairs - All researchers are responsible for finding their own work. When one comes off a project, it is up to then to find more work. Since there seems to be less and less work, there are always people that come off projects that cannot get on new projects. Makes for a strange working environment. Technology-wise, there are a lot of old-timers that have a lot of influence on technology usage, this group is slow to adopt new technologies. Felt like my technical skills eroded. Odd to work for the analytics group using technologies that are 10 years old.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves. Change needs to happen at the top. Battelle needs to redefine what they are trying to become. The overreliance on government work is probably not a great idea. Battelle as an incubator might be a good way forward if it can strengthen it's ties to Ohio State.

Just another pay check

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Battelle and Battelle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The pay was OK -The hours are flexible and you could come and go as you pleased - Some very interesting projects if you were lucky enough to be connected to the right people.

Cons

-Battelle is very middle management heavy, and so overhead costs are high -If you are not in Columbus it can be difficult to move up -Politics and in fighting make people unwilling to share work or collaborate -No real interest in improving employees besides their silly Battelle University.

Going downhill

Current Employee - Scientist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Scientist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Battelle and Battelle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work can be interesting, and at least in my situation I have a lot of control over my own projects.

Cons

They have decreased our sick days. They have deleted three holidays. They have gutted our pension (probably be gone in another year). They have done away with incentive bonuses. They have fired many personnel over the last 2 years. They have instituted a horrid accounting system (Catalyst) Moral has gone from highly positive to negative. They have become just another money grubbing company.

6. its a job

Current Employee - Project Manager in Richland, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Richland, WA

I have been working at Battelle and Battelle

Pros

money is okay but could be better.

Cons

not enough money would like more.

7. Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Battelle and Battelle

Pros

Changing the face of science across the world

Cons

limited funds for research as it is a government supported entity

Advice to Management

create opportunities for growth with positions other than R&D

RSS Feed </> Embed