Batteries Plus

Russ Reynolds

Great Part Time Technical Job

Former Employee - Battery Technician in Suffolk, VA
    Former Employee - Battery Technician in Suffolk, VA

I worked at Batteries Plus part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible Hours for going to school

Cons

Not enough pay for technicians

Nice people, Low pay

I worked at Batteries Plus

Pros

Nice and friendly staff and management

Cons

Low pay
    Not much bonuses for commercial salesman

Loved the job, didn't like the company at the end

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pewaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pewaukee, WI

I worked at Batteries Plus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked at the company for 4 years. Great if you like to problem solve, you can take great pride in being a battery expert. A lot of times people were thrilled to have their stuff fixed in a respectful and professional manner. On top of everything, you end up with a vast amount of very specialized knowledge. Management was always understanding of my schedule, but that could vary from location to location.

Typically employees are happy to be in the corporate atmosphere.

Cons

Pay was minimal, but the commission sales ended up making a wage competitive with other retail establishments, the downside is that there was always more work to do off of the sales floor. Over the past year and a half, the company has made some very big changes that lead them to being very profit oriented to the point where it encourages dishonesty to a degree. Company has broadened its horizons too quickly in my opinion.

As far as growth in the company, the majority of the stores are franchise-owned, meaning that there is little one can do to move up into the corporate structure. within a corporate store, the corporate office always seemed to be reluctant to bring somebody up from the store level, although I did see it happen on multiple occasions, there was always a lot of runaround.

Profits are obviously very important to running a successful business, but the metrics that have been in place encourage putting profits ahead of a customers needs. Customers will pick up on that, and they will be discouraged from returning and buying more items. It's easy to sell things when the salesperson can truly believe in the product. With very few exceptions, the quality of the products at Batteries Plus Bulbs is phenomenal, and if you allow the salesperson to not make the big sale today, and instead build a rapport to the point where they'll come back, the customer WILL buy the LED or the Blue Top. If you keep encouraging the highest LPT possible and put pressure on the associates that sales today are the only thing that matter, the customer will buy a Lead Acid battery or a cfl and get out of the store, and then complain about the quality to their friends.

Not bad if you have no ambition

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Batteries Plus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Full-time, Good owners, Decent Benefits, PTO. Overall it is a pretty relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Some managers tend to be power hungry. Since it isn't the busiest industry some employees slack and don't pull there own weight making more work for others. NO ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT! (at least within my ownership group). Not to many cons though. All in all it is a good job......not career.

Be more involved, be less angry sometimes, get your hands dirty.

bad

I have been working at Batteries Plus

Pros

The co-workers are wonderful to work with,

Cons

The management is terrible and needs to grow up.

Not your typical retail job

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Batteries Plus part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to become an expert on batteries, chargers, and flashlights. Also get to learn how to rebuild battery packs, change all sorts of car and watch batteries. Sourcing hard to find batteries from numerous suppliers is a rewarding experience. Getting to work with commercial accounts and do b2b sales is also a great experience not typical in retail.

Cons

Once you've mastered all the knowledge there isnt much more to grow. changing watch batteries can be tedious at times. Corporate sometimes makes changes that don't seem to make much sense. Quality of some of the chines made batteries can be inconsistent. Stores are primarily in the suburbs, urban growth has been tricky

survey your franchisees before making big changes

Family Environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Batteries Plus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

B+B has a very intense PC based training system. If you did all of the training, you were very rarely left without an answer for a customer. The franchise I worked with had a very caring ownership. You saw them often, and they made sure to find out how you were doing, both at home and at work. If you didn't get your sales numbers, they would work with you to try and improve your selling skills. My store manager was more like a friend, and we still talk. They took a vested interest in each of their employees, and would help in any way possible. One of the best companies I've worked for, in or out of retail.

Cons

The retail schedule and semi-commission based pay were the only cons. However they would work to accommodate any schedule request, even if one of the franchise owners had to cover your shift. They would also help you try to boost your numbers, and didn't hold it over your head if you were struggling.

Keep up the good work.

Stay far, far away

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Batteries Plus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Able to buy batteries and bulbs at cost
    - cheap benefits

Cons

- low pay
    - low raises
    - sales goals are always changing for the worst
    - lazy management
    - poor upper management- do not expect them to treat you like a human being
    - often having to work alone which is a liability for thefts
    - they will write you up for anything, even for not doing something you were never trained or told to do

Respect your employees, pay them the wage they deserve, stop using job threats as a motivator, stop writing people up for every little thing, and always schedule two people at the same time.

An adventure in babysitting.

I worked at Batteries Plus full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

No Positive Feedback! No career advancement! No Benefits.

Cons

I had to babysit my Boss most of the time.

Fire my former Boss!

Bad business will catchup tenfold

Former Employee - Glorified Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Glorified Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Batteries Plus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits & starting pay ($12 w/ experience $10 w/o, WILL LOWBALL) flexible hours .. 5 days vacation after 1st year

Cons

Micromanagement. Does not compensate for gas and employees travel between 2 or more stores. Worst Morale I've ever seen, Bad Hygiene, Very tough minority hire

Get Managers standardized training and EMPOWER them. Try to focus on the positives every once in a while..