Battery Systems

Battery Systems Reviews

Updated December 2, 2014
Updated December 2, 2014

Brad Streelman

I'm very happy with my job.

Current Employee - Warehouse/Driver in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Warehouse/Driver in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Battery Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy going to my job everyday.
    Pay is fair.
    They have lots of benefits, such as extra pay based on performance and free healthy lunches.
    They offer a 401k, health insurance, bereavement time off, a good amount of vacation days and uniforms.
    They have helped me financially with family matters and personal problems.
    Everyone i have worked with in the company has always seemed to care about the employees they work with.
    They understand you have a life outside of the job and let you have time off if something comes up.
    I have worked here less than two years but in several positions and locations by my choice.
    I have also had a good amount of accidents on the job and they were understanding and only cared about my well-being.

Cons

It is hard physical labor but, they are straightforward with that in the hiring process.
    Sometimes you deal with customers who don't treat you fairly.

I have worked at Battery Systems for almost three years, and Battery Systems is a great company!

I have been working at Battery Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Battery Systems stands on three pillars: 1) taking care of their people, 2) taking care of customers and 3) growing the business, which evidence its greatness! After meeting regulatory responsibilities, Battery Systems provides competitive pay and benefits as well as opportunities for achievement and personal growth. In fact, promoting from within is preferred to outside recruitment. Everyone I've met works diligently and with integrity--an awesome group of people! The company strives to continually improve processes. Change is not easy, but we work as a team. For me the best part of working here is being able to serve such wonderful people! I love my job! Plus, I am privileged to work for a boss, who is such an encourager and teacher! I am very grateful and proud to work at Battery Systems!!

Cons

Insurance benefits for an employee's family are expensive. However, with all of the federal, state, county and city regulations annually--sometime monthly--Battery Systems does a remarkable job and continues to spend much time trying to improve benefits.

Nov 17, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for your post regarding your positive experience with Battery Systems. We hope to continue to exceed your expectations. Also, thank you for bringing up insurance benefits. We know that ... More

Great Company / Work Environment

I have been working at Battery Systems full-time

Pros

-Growing Company = Good Opportunity
    -Training Programs for many different levels - Customer Service, Sales & Leadership
    -Employees are given a lot of autonomy in regards to making the right call for our customers
    -Great / Strong internal bonds / connection between all locations, teams & departments

Cons

Because we are a growing company we tend to be a bit stretched thin & there is always a need for more help.
    Also, since we have grown so large, we are still trying to figure out different processes & procedures that work well throughout the entirety of the company.

Define a focused & clear plan & ensure that what you put out to the field speaks to that plan.
    We tend to throw out a lot so we are picking up one thing then being thrown another & are forced to set that first thing down. We need focused drive - in sales, product promotion, operational duties, etc. We can't push out anything & everything to the field - there needs to be a plan in place & strategy to link the different goals / tasks / items together so that we are not only efficient but effective.

Nov 17, 2014Director of HR

Great post. Thank you. Within the advice to management section you noted the desire for a communicated tactical plan that aligns with the strategic. I hear Brad agreeing with you in stating, “Have ... More

A company of excellence and opportunities

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Battery Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work for this company is that they work with you to excel. There are constantly open doors for employees to grow and succeed. Another thing I really like about this company is their idea that safety starts with me. "Safe by choice, not by chance." While working at this company, I feel like I'm not "at work", but that I am a worker, enjoying my role.

Cons

Personally, I like everything about this company and the branch that I work in. I understand that it does come down to the people that you are surrounded by that influences how you feel about the atmosphere at work each day. However, I was very happy with my coworkers and felt like it's was a great place..

Nov 17, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for your post. I am glad to know that your experience with Battery Systems and the team that you work with is so very positive. I easily agree with you that environment is a significant ... More

Highly disappointing experience for a once promising company

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Battery Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1). Dealing with clients and helping them
    2). "Company vehicle" - a huge van that cannot be used outside of business hours (no point taking it home then is there?)
    3). At times an enjoyable place to work (depending on your location).
    4). Company growth - but still a lack of genuine personal growth opportunities...
    5). Majority of fellow workers were hard working just trying to make a living
    6). Some good products
    7). Competitive pricing (for some products)
    8) Casual dress-code

Cons

1). The long hours (necessary to earn a decent living here), which results in time away from family and less time to recover.
    2). Terrible benefits like 401k.
    3). The management & hierarchy do not live up to their own lofty values.
    4). Seldom getting a phone call returned or even answered.
    5). It just about beats being unemployed.
    6). Management is totally lacking in any leadership skills.
    7). This company claims to be a "Christian" company and follow similar values. Working under their leadership was completely exhausting. Constantly having to chase the next opportunity in this already saturated market was one of the most stressful experiences.
    8). The management are rude and did not show any appreciation for their employees. Due to the economy (and the previously stated saturated market) the job is essentially a collections round instead of an account management/sales role. This is due, in part, to the type of customers who are likely to need this kind of service.
    9). Abysmal, and contrived "corporate culture", unrealistic unattainable goals, work environment, ridiculous lack of room for growth opportunity, shady business practices.
    10). Nepotism at its best.
    11) Grossly underpaid and generally undervalued.

The regional management should try managing instead of intimidating. Regular, on the spot training, would be a great idea, but sadly, most of the managers aren't capable of doing so. Be honest with your employees and treat them with respect.

1 out of 10

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Garden Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Garden Grove, CA

I worked at Battery Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I had a very poor experience at Battery Systems. The culture within the company is iron fisted and extremely oppressive. Their almost zero tolerance policy towards taking time off is unbelievably rigid. The benefits are extremely poor to such an extent that I would suggest not opting for theirs and seeking your own alternative.
    The use of the company van was probably the single highlight of working at Battery Systems.

Cons

Poor pay.
    Poor environment.
    Terrible hiring process.
    Draconian attitude towards junior staff.
    Zero new hire training.
    Futile cash incentives.
    Undertrained/undereducated management.

Read all of the *real* reviews on this website

Not worth the effort

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Battery Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy

Vehicle use

Free Gas: for company van and personal vehicle (with company has card)

Easy job

Cons

The worst salary in any sales position I've ever known

Some of the most incompetent "managers" you'll ever see

Useless training

Commission structure is actually laughable

Read the reviews on the website!!

Not worth your time..

Former Employee - Warehouse/Driver in West Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse/Driver in West Sacramento, CA

I worked at Battery Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Focused on personal health and relationships between employees.

Interactions with customers.

Ability to drive long distances.

Independence to determine route on occasion.

Uniforms with names, cell phone.

Vehicle maintenance.

Surprisingly large company.

Cons

Running out of essential supplies like waffle board and shrink wrap despite going to the DC daily.

System down constantly which has employees standing around for hours.

GPS tracking which management "alleges" is for safe driving habits.

Each employee told different ways to count cores, which may be ripping you off.

Tons of new batteries being delivered to customers DOA which results in angry customers.

Company takes zero responsibility if an accident occurs.

Higher up seem shady.

Lowball on pay.

Health benefits have a sky high contribution.

Salesmen or CSR sometimes don't check in customers for months.

Regional Managers, stop and actually check out each branch for more than 20 minutes. Corners are being cut and you give the impression you don't care about your employees!

Nov 17, 2014Director of HR

Though a former employee, thank you for the interest in the improvement of Battery Systems and for taking the time to post. From your note, it is clear that there were a few specifics that you were ... More

Business plan does not work in small markets

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I worked at Battery Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some pretty good people but none in upper-management , they do not understand that large cities are quite different from small town USA.

Cons

Low pay and a hard to fathom or earn commission structure that works well in large markets but not in small markets.

Need to listen to the outside sales people and they cannot cookie cutter commission structure in all markets.

Terrible company

Former Employee - Driver in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Driver in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Battery Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

okay pay, some good management

Cons

corrupt management
    dishonest HR
    Poor quality management
    Management will often steal under the table and blame it on other employees. Happened twice in two locations this past year

Better control of small management and store management positions.