Bausch & Lomb

Bausch & Lomb Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Bausch & Lomb CEO and Director Brent Saunders

Brent Saunders

Pros
  • Great work-life balance (flexibility in work schedules)(in 10 reviews)

• It's the people at B&L that makes you want to come in to work everyday(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The sale of B&L to Valeant has completely changed the culture(in 10 reviews)

• Your ideas might not be welcomed as the senior management is already preoccupied with theirs(in 6 reviews)

Solid company but struggling with the new private ownership

Vice President (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsSolid brand name
    Complete eye care organization with presence in contact lenses, lens care, surgical (refractive & cataract) and pharmaceutical products

Constoo many changes in direction and top management for the past three years

Advice to Senior Managementlonger term focus, not so much on cashing out during IPO

Working in maintenance at Bausch & Lomb has been the best job that I've had.

Electronic Tech (Current Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsThey do give a good amount of vacation and 5 days sick time. Competitive pay and benefits. Clean working atmosphere with almost zero danger of hazardous chemicals.

ConsBecause of the process if they get behind on production or incoming orders overtime becomes overwhelming. They will run every weekend and people sometimes beg to get off. Some supervisors, not all, can be ruthless. It is not a hard job people make the job hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeeper look at whether some poeple are credible enough to hold there positions. Again not all but a some percentage.

competitive environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsGoals are generally clearly communicated, and priorities are well established. There is plenty of work to be done.

ConsI actually like my job, but find it very difficult to develop any camaraderie with my coworkers. The environment here is very cut-throat, everyone is always looking out for themselves. This culture is actually often encouraged by management, pitting team members against each other. Management is strictly interested in making money, very little to no emphasis on people- they say they care, but they clearly don't.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

For the most part ok...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsGreat benefits and good working environment. Flexible hours and genuine concerm for employees. Some managers were consistently fair. Company tried to be a great place to work.

ConsNo opportunities for promotion within. If you didn't work for the company, you had a better chance of a higher position within.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your older workers and promote from within. Keep your promises to people and be fair!! Reward hard work with more and better opportunities for current employees!

Good place to work, but shady associates to work with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGood benefits from day one. In addition, staff is understanding when there is a need for time off requests. Opportunities to train if you are looking to learn more.

ConsAssociates are always watching and scruitinizing every move you make. The SOP's are always up for interpretation and can be used against you at management's discretion.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a strong need for the SOP's to be revised for clarity. In addition, there needs to be an appeal process for the implementation of the corrective action process.

Frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lynchburg, VA

ProsGreat pay and benefits exceed other companies.

ConsLocal management in Lynchburg is horrible!

Advice to Senior ManagementChange management at Lynchburg VA facility.

Disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsBeautiful office
    Great 401K Plan
    Nice view

ConsSenior Management is a revolving door
    Little to no communication from management
    Salary is not competitive
    Extremely under resourced

Company with a historic past and forgettable present

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

Pros401k and health benefits were decent however medical plans were extremely high. Small company with great name recognition; easy to take on and learn many different skills than other places. The people were mostly of high caliber about 5-10 years ago, but most of the talented employees have left. Very good work/life balance and flexible work schedule.

ConsWhere to begin, too many cons to fit in this box.........upper management at the executive level has been completely useless for the past 15+ years. Zarella was the beginning of the end, he was more worried about his 35 million golden parachute after running the company literally into bankruptcy and making sure his hotel rooms had 600 thread count sheets then about the success of the company or employees. Tampa facility continuously outperformed other sites in the company, but layoffs were a constant in Tampa to save jobs in Rochester. Center of Excellence in Rochester is a total sham. I went there numerous times and saw the utter incompetence and waste of valuable resources (Goodman facility is ALL overhead with no contribution to the bottom line). Corporate led projects were constantly fed money with NO progress whatsoever. There was no accountability. High performers were treated the same as mediocre employees. Too many mid and senior level managers for a company of that size. The organization chart looked like an inverted evolutionary tree. The business environment was completely run by politics and had nothing to do with talent and innovation. Employees are underpaid and under respected with no opportunities for advancement within the company. The people running the Tampa facility run it with an "iron fist" and it amazes me how their continual incompetence is continuously tolerated and rewarded. I have never seen so many talented employees in one place leave in a matter of a few years time. For the Tampa area, its the best game in town if you're in pharma. The only reason people stay there is because there are no repercussions for mediocre work and they like living in Tampa. If another decent company opened a facility nearby there would be a mass exodus of people clawing over one another to escape. If youre reading this, there IS life outside of B+L. A good employer can be so rewarding and this doesnt have to be sacrificed to live in a place like Tampa. Leaving there was the best thing I EVER did for my career and my career has taken off since leaving. No place is perfect by any means, but that place sucks the life out of your veins!

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think any advice would undo the mess that's been created there. B+L was once a proud and historic company, now reduced to a has-been living on it's past accolades in a little over 10 years. You cannot cost-cut your way to prosperity. Sure, it helps the bottom line for Warburg Pincus, but the truly great and successful companies innovate and redefine their market, not cost-cut and chase after every low margin product. There is a reason other companies aren't chasing the markets you're in. They've figured out that the products are a waste of money and resources with little to no ROI. If I were Brent Saunders and Fred Hassan, I would stop hiring people that I worked wih at my previous company (ie - Gerald Ostrov) and promote from within if there is any talent left to promote from. If there isn't, I would hire talented people from outside the company from other industry leading organizations and have them start peeling back the layers and get rid of all of the incompetent low, mid and senior level management. Foster what little internal employee talent you have left, and you will win back the morale of the employees. Don't preach what you can't deliver. All of your predecessors said the same thing and accomplished none of it.........innovation and quality are two things sorely lacking at every level in your company. Make something of this proud and historic company, don't suck it dry for millions of dollars in salary for your own benefit like your predecessors, make it something to be proud of again. I have a lot of close friends that still work there and I feel sorry for them because I remember what it was like to go there every day, with zero hope and little motivation. I wish the company would have given them and myself more career opportunities, but I finally realized B+L was holding my career back and the only way to benefit was to leave for other opportunities. I didn't want to leave, but when you're not given any choice, you have to come to the realization that leaving was the only choice. I haven't looked back since, but still miss the close relationships I made while working there.

Career Developing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsLearned needed skills to develop career.

ConsVery poor upper management with regard to how promotions are given and how staff members are assisnged to various departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff members and do not allow management to treat staff in ways that they would not want to be treated.

Amazing employer that contribute to the growth of its employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsOffice has a friendly atmosphere, which fosters a pleasant work environment. There is a high interest in investing in employees.

ConsThere are stringent deadlines that will require you to put things aside. But if you are a hard worker then this should not be too much of a problem.

Worked for Bausch & Lomb? Contribute to the Community!