Bausch & Lomb

Updated January 28, 2015
2.7

Bausch & Lomb CEO and Director Brent Saunders
Brent Saunders

Pros
  • Great work-life balance (flexibility in work schedules) (in 10 reviews)

• It's the people at B&L that makes you want to come in to work everyday (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The sale of B&L to Valeant has completely changed the culture (in 10 reviews)

• Your ideas might not be welcomed as the senior management is already preoccupied with theirs (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Before the End of a Great Company....

Former Employee - R&D Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - R&D Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Bausch & Lomb full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Prior to the Valeant acquisition, Bausch + Lomb was a great company. Technologically advanced products, excellent R&D scientists, ethical values, Investments in their employees and skilled leadership and management. Ratings are based on the true and 'original' B+L culture.

Cons

Following the acquisition, none of the above mattered.

Too late for advice now....

So Sad...

I have been working at Bausch & Lomb

Pros

Like many have said... Prior to the buyout, it was such a great place to work. You felt they cared and wanted you to succeed. It seemed like a family...

Cons

Now that Valeant are the owners, they don't care about you, its all about the numbers and the turnover is crazy!!

Care about your people. They will want to work harder for you!

Overall good place to work

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Bausch & Lomb full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people and good salary

Cons

Uncertain job security under Valeant ownership

Invest in the employees

Great until laid off

I worked at Bausch & Lomb full-time

Pros

The office culture was great.

Cons

New management came in and just cut people that had years of experience because of their salaries.

Take a better look at the background of your employees

Excellent place to learn about quality

I worked at Bausch & Lomb

Pros

B&L had a vision to develop quality product and they adhered to ISO and FDA manufacturing processes.

Cons

The company has lost some of the loyalty instilled by the original founders.

was a great company to work for years ago

Former Employee - Locksmith/Carpenter/Painter in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Locksmith/Carpenter/Painter in Rochester, NY

I worked at Bausch & Lomb full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great work force and team effort

Cons

to many gamse with managment

get your act togeather

Management is a joke

I worked at Bausch & Lomb

Pros

good 401k match when enrolled

Cons

-little or no chance for advancement
    -no chance for raises
    -managers cant seem to tell the difference from people who work and people that just hang out
    -company culture is always the excuse for other people doing nothing, but wont let you use that excuse :-)

B&L Great! Valeant - not so much!

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Bausch & Lomb full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

At B&L we were building a culture committed to doing what is right, always! Pay and benefits were great! Perks were very good, between flexible schedules, unsurpassed 401K; rewards for efforts. Management tried to listen to people on the front lines. B&L was great, would do it again! Once Valeant took over things changed - see cons below.

Cons

Now that Valeant has taken over, everything has gone down the tubes. Valeant does not have the same commitments as Bausch. They do not care about their employees - only the bottom line. Everything we heard about what Valeant did to other buyouts came true! They are committed to destroying all central services, and only support manufacturing and sales! Their corporate offices reflect this - you will have VPs running around looking for a form, because they have let all of the administrative assistants go! The CEO is only working with Wall St., not the company!

Having high paid people running around doing things that administrative assistants used to do, does not make sense! The paradigm is destined to fail! Commitment to only Wall St is wrong thinking. Your commitment should be to your patients/customers - everything else including quality and revenue will follow!

They hired me with a false job description.

I worked at Bausch & Lomb full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits and perks, not a cheap company, and very stable global company doing business in a medical field that should have a good future and outlook.

Cons

The position I accepted turned out to be quite different than what was advertised or discussed during the lengthy interview process. This was due to a severe difference of outlook between what the national office had versus what the manager of the local plant had, regarding this position. The individual locations scattered around the globe were not under good control by the corporate headquarters in Rochester.

Your HR processes need to be reviewed and revised.

Loved my time as Bausch, but Valeant is a parasite, so I pursued other opportunities (I was NOT laid off)

Former Employee - IT Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Bausch & Lomb full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bausch + Lomb was innovative, forward looking, and valued quality people...this literally ended the day Valeant took over, so the great folks (there were many) have left, leaving those that don't want to leave for some reason, or can't leave for some reason.

Cons

Under Valeant, the company is following the business model that Valeant has for a few years now, which is to fire all support and innovative personnel, and hope those few left can keep the lights on long enough to suck the products dry, and the discard the company like yesterday's garbage. A shame to end Bausch + Lomb's 160 years of success and innovation with at the hands of such a destructive company as Valeant, but I'm doing my part to warn folks not to get involved.

I have none - they are simply carrying out the genius (sarcasm) of Mike Pearson, who gets a big payout if he can keep the charade going until 2018. If you don't believe that, research his compensation agreement - you'll see everything, and all will be made clear. It's an awful organization and I only have it 1 star because I can't give it 0.

Bausch & Lomb Photos