Baxter

www.baxter.com

Baxter Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Baxter Chairman and CEO Robert L. Parkinson Jr.

Robert L. Parkinson Jr.

Pros
  • The company is flexible with your work/ life balance(in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent salary, flexibility is good but can be better(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of talk about "work/life balance" turns into a lot of *nothing* once you're in your job(in 16 reviews)

• Rinse and repeat and you'll make it to senior management in no time(in 16 reviews)

135 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Exciting new product introductions and solid business leadership make it an excellent environment.

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Round Lake, IL

ProsGreat team camaraderie and common goals.

ConsRound Lake is a bit remote from the greater Chicagoland area

Good company with strong positions in industry

Group Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsStable company - lot of long time employees
    Opportunities for growth (if you work in the right areas)
    Smart people - very pleased with how intelligent and supportive coworkers were
    Quality of life - hours were reasonable even with high profile projects

ConsSome employees are better at managing up vs managing down -- no upward feedback into reviews on leadership
    Tough commute if you want to live in Chicago (working in Deerfield)
    Lot of approvals required to get things done

Sustaining products

R&D PMO Project Manager (Current Employee) Round Lake, IL

ProsProducts save and sustain lives.

ConsSilo management structure and culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew begginning with company split in 2015, out with the old, in with the entrepreneurs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to grow a career

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Round Lake, IL

ProsI believe Baxter has a way of finding the right spot for the talent. The pay + benefits are acceptable but I wouldn't call them extremely competitive.

ConsDifficult to move vertically in some groups, reorganizing seems more common.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to promote some of your young talent early in order to keep them dedicated to their roles.

Lacks strategy and Innovation - run-of-the-mill

Director (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsSome good co-workers that work hard.

ConsLacks strategy/innovation . Very old school. Takes more than it can chew. Hardly finished acquisition and derive its value to surprise with the spin off.
    Complete work life imbalance. Nothing Global about the company and how it functions except locations.
    Extremely poor leadership.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to hire some good leaders with consulting background..... refresh the old school culture

Fast paced, a little buttoned down but great place to work

QA (Current Employee) Round Lake, IL

Prosgreat people, but every group is different, there is a lot of cross talk and collaboration

Constough commute, round lake IL is a very rural area

Advice to Senior Managementmore ride sharing incentives and programs

Generally good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Round Lake, IL

ProsLaid back atmosphere (depending on the department), Good people- again in general everyone I have come across is great.

ConsFor me personally it is career suicice. Not a place to boost your career unless you are ok with wagging your tail.
    Too many systems which are not compatible with eachother! It takes months to learn and gain access.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespond to those who ask for more challenging work and support management. Structure can be too loose for some groups.

Slow and Steady Culture Not For Everyone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsConsistently profitable company that serves patients and health care professionals with a variety of medical devices, services, and drugs. Compensation was at market. Expressed company values are vanilla.

ConsInternal struggle between the BAX "lifers" who are just trying to ride it out until they hit their 85 points in the old defined benefit pension program vs. new talent brought in from other companies who want to change the culture and move at a faster pace. Lifers dislike newbies and a passive/aggressive counter-culture hinders faster evolution.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the "dead wood", esp. from the top down. One of the GMs is psycho and needs to leave. Work-Life balance should be the goal, but unlikely with the pending split of "old" BAX vs. Newco (BioScience). Make internal change program ("Power Up") more than just a program du jour - make it stick.

Good pay, good people, poor management

Group Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsA lot of good team players trying to do the right thing.

ConsHighly political senior management only focused on their next move.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on doing what is right for the company rather than what is right for you.

Going through major change

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsLife saving products, most employees genuinely care about the patient

ConsGoing through major culture change and don't seem to know what the culture should be anymore. Only employees that can navigate the political landscape getting ahead.

Worked for Baxter? Contribute to the Community!