www.baxter.com

Baxter Reviews

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
3.3

Baxter Chairman and CEO Robert L. Parkinson Jr.
Robert L. Parkinson Jr.

Pros
  • The company is flexible with your work/ life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent salary, flexibility is good but can be better (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Reluctant to change with the times (technology), work life balance is a struggle (in 23 reviews)

• upper management does not grasp the daily struggles that the frontline representatives go through (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible Experience as a Contractor

Former Employee - Quality Associate I in Round Lake, IL
    Former Employee - Quality Associate I in Round Lake, IL

I worked at Baxter as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

the training was very quick but the trainers were extremely nice, approachable, and always willing to help

Cons

they want you to learn the information as quick as possible negatively impacting the quality of your work, very intense stressful work environment

training should be taken more into consideration as everyone learns differently and taken into consideration that quality of work should be important,

Rewarding Job, but Bad Management, Over-stressed work schedule, Not a Family oriented company!

Former Employee - Repair Tech Service Department in Medina, NY
    Former Employee - Repair Tech Service Department in Medina, NY

I worked at Baxter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

That I actually worked on products that saves lives! My Dad was on IV Infusion Pumps many times before he passed. A few managers really cared about the pump. Not many though!

Cons

Schedules, having kids that play sports.Special treatment to employees. Management that would force you to work when emergency family Medical issues happened. My family member was bed-ridden and I was needed to help FORCED TO WORK longer hours,not able to help care for my family member, when we knew he only had a few months to live-VERY UPSETTING! Also employees had school bus issues, and forced us to work Saturdays leaving kids home alone. Threaten you with losing your JOB! Too many young Managers. Untrained and non-caring employees repairing pumps, not following the FDA worksheet instructions-skipping steps-we called it to get more pumps done and make themselves-LOOK GOOD! Job Postings that would not be filled, and not allowed to leave the Repair Dept. Always changing repair processes too much, this week one way, next week, another way. What if the FDA found out this was happening? Management don't recognize the employees who worked the hardest all day, not socializing, or hiding in the bathroom on their cell phones.

Manager's should at least be older and more mature candidates. They should know how to talk to employees, respect that everyone has family and lives outside of work. They call that WORK-LIFE-BALANCE! Get rid of that STUPID prize wheel, and stop nominating the same lazy people every month. Thank the employees who care and are their to work!!!! They are the ones who care about the product, what it will do in the field- help someone or Fail-and Kill someone maybe.

I did not have a positive experience with the people of Baxter in my division. I wish I had done more due diligence.

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Baxter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work we did was great. I worked with high level clients and sr leadership and was encouraged to do so on a regular basis. The technical skills I honed there were equally satisfying.

Cons

I wasn't a good fit with the culture. I had hoped for a progressive culture and found it to be uber conservative.

None. It works for them

Run, don't walk, in the opposite direction

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Baxter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, 99% of coworkers very friendly and helpful, excellent training provided for all functions of the job.

Cons

Call center, micromanagement, poor (petty) leadership in the center, prepare yourself for an unreal dose of nepotism, inconsistency, and Big Brother in this environment.

Re-evaluate the supervisors in customer service, make time to know your employees, make communication more direct instead of the trickle-down style it is now.

Decent Company, Lots of Bureaucracy

I have been working at Baxter (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are good. You are fairly stable. There are several different worksites and divisions that you can transfer to if you want to.

Cons

So much bureaucracy. Every boss has two more bosses to answer to. There is constantly some new acronym, intranet site, standard, or system that the company is rolling out that is supposed to make things easier, but it complicates everything more. Granted, the company is changing (spinning off its Bioscience division and assimilating a former competitor, Gambro) and things could settle down soon.

Upper management is constantly shuffling around. Much of upper management is reluctant to put their name on big projects, so they drag their feet.

Overall okay experience, this department leaves much to the imagination about corporate jobs.

I have been working at Baxter

Pros

decent pay for the job description

Cons

management has poor communication and the department is not run by those with business backgrounds.

learn to communicate effectively with your staff. Encourage career development. Learn from other departments that have business personnel in charge. Learn to actually MANAGE people.

Pleasant Experience

Current Employee - Sales Operations Analyst in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Analyst in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Baxter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits options, talented people to work with, easily accessible by Metra, good work life balance

Cons

While there are great career growth opportunities, it depends on how involved your manager is, and you have to own your development path.

Needs more transparency to lower ranking people

Site Management is short sighted, company is good and products are great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Baxter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great company and lots of growth potential with good compensation. Most people are wonderful to work with and there is a culture of collaboration. Corporate support is great!

Cons

New site leadership is changing the culture and the environment is becoming a toxic. Many feel like it's management by fear and they are losing good employees quickly. This is creating high turnover. This not the case at all sites, but it is the case at the Thousand Oaks site.

Be open to views other then your own.

Too much process overhead

Former Employee - Project Manager in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at Baxter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good tools and good people

Cons

Too many processes that don't add value to the job that needs to be done.

Former Employee - Data Coordinator in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Data Coordinator in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Baxter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Company had good benefits great people

Cons

Limited advancement in my department