Bay Area News Group

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sharon Ryan

Under-resourced but full of good people

Reporter (Current Employee)

ProsOn a good day, this is a top-notch organization that works to produce news of interest and value.

ConsResources are spread thin and so employees are overworked, underpaid and not always able to do the investigative work that the public needs and that's rewarding to a journalist's career.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the smaller newspapers in the chain as bureaus and not as second cousins. Work to create a more holistic and bigger vision for the entire network of newspapers.

For the most part, BANG's been good to me.

Reporter (Current Employee)

ProsExposure, brand recognition, commitment to quality journalism.

ConsGeneral morale, room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementThe wrong people are leading the charge into the digital age. Upper management, try as they might,, not looking to the people equipped to usher in change. A little out of touch.

Over all good

ProsFlexible schedule , great training , really good tools to help you succees

Consvery cutthroat , always changing

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My professional opportunities were stagnant.

Manager (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsThe older/last tenure employees were extremely professional, high quality and cared about their roles at the company and the company's perception in communitieis.

ConsIndustry is in transition -- digital v. print -- and overall outlook is questionable. Ups/downs/lefts/rights. Difficult to navigate strategy/products v. individual performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good company with a poor owner

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocal People are good employees.

ConsBad owner who knows only how to cut and not how to grow business.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Behind the Times

In Management (Former Employee)

ProsSome really great hardworking people, very dedicated journalists.

ConsPoor management. No vision for the future online. Slow to make needed changes. Poor treatment of employees (salary freezes, salary cuts, expensive benefits.)

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people wages that they deserve.

Flag Review
    Bay Area News Group Recruiter responded to this review Mar 26, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your candid feedback! Your comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated while the company continues to strive for improvement and excellence. Our organizational leaders highly ... More

Great company; great product. Needs some help.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsOffered a great sales training program. Has open door policy. There are limited chances for advancement but they do exist. They are a forward thinking company yet has roadblocks with senior management trying to run business like it was 30 years ago that seems to hold the company back.

ConsBonus structure was always changing. "Old men's club environment" where more women are let go and more men are promoted regardless of successful track record. HR didn't seem to respond to complaints with regard to lack of ethics and integrity on a specific high level individual, likely to do with his connection his boss's boss and their weekend relationship.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees but then act on it. Break the bond between upper management and others within company to bust the favoritism barrier. Don't wait so long to make decisions on personnel changes or new product development. Have Ivory Tower walk around ad visit with workers to get a feel of how hard they work and thank them for that work. Appreciate goes along way.

Flag Review
    Bay Area News Group Recruiter responded to this review Mar 26, 2014 EditDelete

I can't wait to get out of this place.

ProsGood original investigative stories. Many improvements on managerial and technological training. Attempts to keep up with technology. Great recent web redesign. Good system set up to deal with breaking news. Good opportunities for advancement. Very flexible with training opportunities outside the organization. Good flexibility for work-life balance. Basic benefits like health insurance still exist. For some time, they had a wellness committee that seemed very focused on improving employees' lives.

ConsDecreasing oversight of editing process, more reliance on wire services. I wouldn't be at all surprised if something like the KTVU Asiana pilot names happened on our websites. Not as much of a "it's better to be right than first" attitude as I would like to see. Despite training improvements, they are still lacking on some of the basics -- for example, not nearly enough training on ethical issues of photo use. Some editorials seem to be based on what other media report without independent examination of the facts. They try to keep up with technology by having iPad, iPhone and Android apps, but none of them are very well done. Lots of layoffs and a high voluntary turnover rate. Lots of benefits have disappeared -- 401(k) matching, gym membership discounts, public transportation discounts. Wellness committee seems to have disappeared.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've lost so many good employees. Make this a place where they want to work forever so that you don't get stuck with a bunch of inexperienced people. You spend a lot of time focusing on the future in terms of technology but not enough of the future in terms of having a strong staff.

Winds of change

Sales (Former Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

ProsMid level managment is hands on, supportive and responsive. There are multiple products to sell which allows reps to put together a strong proposal for customers. Training is ongoing and avaliable for reps that want it.

ConsConstant change and unclear direction coming from the leadership group. Offices outside of the SJ flagship office are rarely visited by upper managment. Many positions have been eliminated or moved from the East Bay to San Jose. Managers are being asked to take on more for the same pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear and believe in your strategies to grow the company. Make sure all your employees see you. Dont hide in SJ all the time. Share successes so employees feel the company is moving in the right direction.

News Industry is in major decline

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    San Ramon, CA

ProsGood people, Work life balance

ConsBad Management, Bad Pay, No communication

Advice to Senior ManagementMove to online quicker, get rid of dinosaurs who are old-fashioned and bring in new blood, better the perks for the achievers

Worked for Bay Area News Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bay Area News Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bay Area News Group CEO Sharon Ryan. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Bay Area News Group employees.