Bay Area News Group Reviews

Sharon Ryan

1. Fair and balanced place to work

Former Employee - Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Easy career oportunities in the chain allow for much lateral and upward movement

Cons

A little female bias in hiring. Only 2 men out of 17 reps. Need to balance this out.

Advice to Management

Hire more seasoned (read mature) reps for your dailies.

2. Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great company. Is growing and they treat their employee with lot of respect. The work life balance is amazing.Overall I would recommend BANG. Its a fun place to work.

Cons

BANG has some cons. Its a newspaper company and newspaper is going down, so that would be the greatest con. However they are working to fix that.

3. Great company to work for when the economy gets better!

Current Employee - Salesperson in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

The people that work here are friendly and fun! I really enjoy the people I work with and also the ones I work for.

Cons

Newspapers are a tough business right now because of the economy.

Advice to Management

Every once in a while, give us some good news. Don't dwell on the negative.

5. Over all good

I have been working at Bay Area News Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule , great training , really good tools to help you succees

Cons

very cutthroat , always changing

6. Under-resourced but full of good people

Current Employee - Reporter
    Current Employee - Reporter

I have been working at Bay Area News Group full-time

Pros

On a good day, this is a top-notch organization that works to produce news of interest and value.

Cons

Resources are spread thin and so employees are overworked, underpaid and not always able to do the investigative work that the public needs and that's rewarding to a journalist's career.

Advice to Management

Treat the smaller newspapers in the chain as bureaus and not as second cousins. Work to create a more holistic and bigger vision for the entire network of newspapers.

7. Worked for the number one brand in the market

Pros

The service our company provided was well respected in the industry and, because of that, people who worked there had a lot of pride in what we did.

Cons

With all of the developments in the high tech field, the industry we worked in was a dying one.

Bay Area News Group Response

Jul 6, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your candid feedback and review. We've seen so many changes since the glory days of the printed paper and have said goodbye to many production facilities as we've agilely navigated the ... More

8. Great people and meaningful work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Our advertising management team is approachable and receptive to new ideas. When you press hard for change or actively take on more responsibility you can definitely move up in the organization. Owning change is very meaningful work and I'm so happy my work here matters. I'm not just another interchangeable employee. The people here are authentic and real. I think everyone agrees that's one of the best parts about working here. We are so diverse but inclusive, it really feels like a family. Although it's a fast pace environment, there is pretty good work life balance and most managers are super flexible when you're doing your job. We are a growing company and we are constantly hiring on our advertising team. Our digital offerings have really come far from where we started and I think we are positioned to be very competitive in some of the newest digital ad trends like RTB and mobile.

Cons

Although we have soooo many benefits, the cost of our PPO plan is high. Our HMO plan is very competitive though and comparable to other companies. It also includes free chiropractor visits. There are quite a few inefficiencies across offices and departments that could be remedied. Obviously most companies face this challenge and if we fixed them all with technology and efficiency, some people might be out of a job. I see these inefficiencies as opportunities to create a solution and actually be heard, make a change, and get ahead. Base salaries should be adjusted annually for inflation automatically. When we're not getting raises on an annual basis it really feels like a pay-cut in our pocketbooks. I've actively asked for raises every year and justified it by exceeding goals or taking on more impactful work and they gave it me. I think if you ask and make a case for it, it will happen.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work updating our systems and equipment. Our new CRM and sales tools like Buzzboard are great! Our human resources team is thin and it would be super beneficial to have more structured practices around reviews and other 'people' issues. Implementing 360 reviews and actually tracking this information. There really is a lot of room for growth there.

9. I enjoyed my job very much.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

It was a great job for a long time. I was busy everyday and learned a lot about the business. I felt a great sense of accomplishment.

Cons

Morale is often low due to continuous staff cuts.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting the staff. Build the newspaper up instead of tearing it down.

10. Winds of change

Former Employee - Sales in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Bay Area News Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mid level managment is hands on, supportive and responsive. There are multiple products to sell which allows reps to put together a strong proposal for customers. Training is ongoing and avaliable for reps that want it.

Cons

Constant change and unclear direction coming from the leadership group. Offices outside of the SJ flagship office are rarely visited by upper managment. Many positions have been eliminated or moved from the East Bay to San Jose. Managers are being asked to take on more for the same pay.

Advice to Management

Be clear and believe in your strategies to grow the company. Make sure all your employees see you. Dont hide in SJ all the time. Share successes so employees feel the company is moving in the right direction.

Great company; great product. Needs some help.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Bay Area News Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Offered a great sales training program. Has open door policy. There are limited chances for advancement but they do exist. They are a forward thinking company yet has roadblocks with senior management trying to run business like it was 30 years ago that seems to hold the company back.

Cons

Bonus structure was always changing. "Old men's club environment" where more women are let go and more men are promoted regardless of successful track record. HR didn't seem to respond to complaints with regard to lack of ethics and integrity on a specific high level individual, likely to do with his connection his boss's boss and their weekend relationship.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees but then act on it. Break the bond between upper management and others within company to bust the favoritism barrier. Don't wait so long to make decisions on personnel changes or new product development. Have Ivory Tower walk around ad visit with workers to get a feel of how hard they work and thank them for that work. Appreciate goes along way.

Bay Area News Group Response

Mar 26, 2014 – Recruiter

Thank you for your candid feedback! Your comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated while the company continues to strive for improvement and excellence. Our organizational leaders highly ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed