Bay Area News Group

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sharon Ryan

Fair and balanced place to work

Account Executive (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsEasy career oportunities in the chain allow for much lateral and upward movement

ConsA little female bias in hiring. Only 2 men out of 17 reps. Need to balance this out.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more seasoned (read mature) reps for your dailies.

Under-resourced but full of good people

Reporter (Current Employee)

ProsOn a good day, this is a top-notch organization that works to produce news of interest and value.

ConsResources are spread thin and so employees are overworked, underpaid and not always able to do the investigative work that the public needs and that's rewarding to a journalist's career.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the smaller newspapers in the chain as bureaus and not as second cousins. Work to create a more holistic and bigger vision for the entire network of newspapers.

Over all good

ProsFlexible schedule , great training , really good tools to help you succees

Consvery cutthroat , always changing

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for when the economy gets better!

Salesperson (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

ProsThe people that work here are friendly and fun! I really enjoy the people I work with and also the ones I work for.

ConsNewspapers are a tough business right now because of the economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery once in a while, give us some good news. Don't dwell on the negative.

Misguided and behind the times of a digital age.

Finance (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsOpportunities arise a lot of time.

ConsMisguided management who don't communicate we'll at all levels

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the communication at all levels.

Reporter

Reporter (Former Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

ProsReporting, writing stories, ability to inform general public

Consadvertising influence, management doesn't know what reporter levels

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the reporters

Multimedia Consultant

Multimedia Account Executive (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsI like the Birth day's Off. I like the Scholarship programs with employer that have childrens that want to go to colleges. I like the multimedia advertising programs/Campaigns to
     sell-into multiple markets. The Training programs are good, they try to keep you up to date with Industries knowledge & competitions. Back-end support are the best.

ConsWork long hours, weekend, night, Holidays to hit Company's Goals but the money its there? Commission Structure & bonus are not good.
    I am BIG on Rewarding Sales people to all the sacrifices to work long hours, Night, weekend & Holidays but I did not see the Rewards from this company!

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit the right Leadership, Team builders. Help your team to Grow and to be successful. Create good solid Commision Structure and bonus programs to increased -participations & create competition that everybody wins. "REWARDS your BEST Sales People" when they achieved the Companies Goals. Focus more on Sales Force the backbone of your business. The Bread & Butter of your products.

Decent place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsGood work/life balance. Co-workers have always been really great and a generally nice place to work.

ConsIf you're Part Time consider yourself stuck there, not much advancement. Working Holidays can be a pain. Work schedules vary.

Decent place to work given the industry

Multimedia Account Executive (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsDecent training programs and support. Good place to get a start out of college with adequate opportunities to advance if you are motivated. Not an extremely competitive work environment.

ConsTough job given the downward trend in the industry. lacks sales support programs and technology. The company seems to be shooting itself in the foot with cutbacks.

For the most part, BANG's been good to me.

Reporter (Current Employee)

ProsExposure, brand recognition, commitment to quality journalism.

ConsGeneral morale, room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementThe wrong people are leading the charge into the digital age. Upper management, try as they might,, not looking to the people equipped to usher in change. A little out of touch.

Worked for Bay Area News Group? Contribute to the Community!