Bay Federal Credit Union

Updated August 31, 2014
Updated August 31, 2014
3.9

Carrie Birkhofer

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Bay Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Bay Federal cares about the community and it's members. They preach member relationships and making a difference in the lives of our member.

Cons

The pay is on the low end and advancement is difficult if you don't have someone who is giving you a push. Hard work doesn't always get recognized but upper management.

Invest in living what you preach, such as TACT. I hear it spoken but do not believe management lives it in all situations.
    Evaluate pay scale and create clear paths for advancement at all levels

Bay Federal Credit Union Response

Sep 8, 2014Sr. HR Generalist

We appreciate feedback and invite employees to connect with their manager or a senior manager about concerns. We do annual compensation management and adjustments based on both industry and our ... More

Bay Federal Credit Union has been great to me! In my 5+ years at Bay Federal I have learned so much!

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Bay Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

What I like most about working at Bay Federal is how the company has helped me grow as a banker. In my 5+ years at BFCU I have gone from a teller to a loan officer. I see myself growing and moving up in the company even more in the years to come. I am very grateful for the opportunities BFCU has given me.

Cons

I do want to see BFCU give there employees more training. The new employess need to be trained on the products and services that BFCU has to offer, the more that the employees know about the products and serivces the more referrals they will bring in.

Family oriented, except for adequate compensation; poor work-environment, catty & gossipy co-workers. Lack of management

I worked at Bay Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Understanding and flexible in terms of taking time off, they are not big on micro-managing (depending on your manager).

Cons

They are extremely slow and do not replace employees who retire or are laid off. Instead, they assign the departed employee's duties to another current employee while refusing to increase pay or compensate for the increase in workload or taking on duties of higher-up employees. Workplace is terrible - employees spend 60% of their workday gossiping, being catty to other co-workers, and creating tiffs out of nowhere. Management will give poor and incorrect reviews due to not understanding your position or job duties, and without actually discussing your performance beforehand. A quick 10 minute conversation would have turned a poor review into a glowing review.

Stop

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great caring and local company to work for!

I have been working at Bay Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

At Bay Federal Credit Union you get to work for a company with a heart. It's a group of kind and smart people who care about their employees, members and community.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Keep doing what you're doing - instilling a culture based on the values of Professional • Appreciative • Care & Compassion • Integrity • Fun & Friendly • Innovative • Community.

Overall a good place to work with good people to work with.

Former Employee - New Account Specialist  in  Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - New Account Specialist in Capitola, CA

I worked at Bay Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clear advancement paths. Fun and positive company culture. Good benefits and time off.

Cons

Slow reactions from senior management team.

A very friendly and fun company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Capitola, CA

I worked at Bay Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Extremely friendly staff. The management staff is competent and helpful. All of the facilities are fairly up to date.

Cons

With the resent economic downturn there was a large scale lay off and subsequent salary freeze. While things are getting better it seems the culture has suffered a bit.

Refocus on bringing the culture back. Focusing on sales is perfectly fine.

Rewarding place to work

Former Employee - Upper Management  in  Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Upper Management in Capitola, CA

I worked at Bay Federal Credit Union

Pros

You get to volunteer in the community frequently. Good opportunity to move up the organization. The culture is a family friendly environment.

Cons

The VP management team have worked there for a long time and they are not planning on leaving anytime soon. Some of upper management is insecure and therefore they have difficulty listening to new ideas if they didn't think of the ideas themselves.

Recognize talent in the organization and create opportunities to keep them in the company. Keep an open mind, read current economic trends and listen to what is important to the front line staff.

It's nice to work there

Current Employee - Loan Officer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bay Federal Credit Union

Pros

nice working environment with frindly ppl around

Cons

there is no room to get promote

Worked for Bay Federal Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!