Bay Federal Credit Union

Carrie Birkhofer

Good Company Friendly People

Former Employee - Finance Intern in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Intern in Capitola, CA

I worked at Bay Federal Credit Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Special projects help you develop

Cons

Sometimes a lack of guidance

They Don't Mind Seeing Employees Starve

Current Employee - Somewhere in Capitola, CA
    Current Employee - Somewhere in Capitola, CA

I have been working at Bay Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bay Federal is like a family- thats how they get ya. They make it so comfortable, you never want to leave. The culture here is unlike any other place in the area. There are quarterly company mixers, weekly team meetings, a christmas party where everyone gets trashed and you get a great dinner. You begin to know these people, their children, their family, the details of their hemorrhoids surgery, and every in and out of their life. I have to hand it to hr, well done. The benefits are meh, but you do have benefits, everything is done in house which gives you the warm and fuzzies, and they really care about the community. Or at least put on a show about caring about the community. I can't tell you how many speeding tickets I've got out of, just say you're a bay federal employee and next thing you know, you'll be chatting for hours with the cop because the perspective is Bay Federal is one of the good guys… And all in all, they really ARE the good guys, the best thing about this place is my coworkers. We are in it together, starving and getting skinner together year after year after year.

Cons

The funny thing about Bay Federal is we are all about the community. It is a requirement to donate money or work extra time in support of community service. But, how can you possibly donate a dime when you're paid next to nothing, and you have no time to donate because you're working your second job to make it all work?

Let me tell you, I've had zero poor performance reviews, and I've worked for the place for 3+ years (wohoo! I'll be getting another pin in no time!). I even got "promoted" to a back office job, which basically means you do a billion times the work as a teller without the pay. They don't tell you this of course when you take the job. In any regard, in 3+ years I've had a total of three 2% raises plus the promotion of .20 cents on top of my base pay, my starting pay? 12 an hour. Yes, you please do the math. You dedicate endless hours, do endless hours of work that shouldn't be humanly possible for one person alone to do (but hey, we create magic here) and get paid next to nothing and if you're in the back office, and you can forget about getting a thank you, silly employees, bay bucks are for the front office staff. Getting paid under $15 an hour for the amount of education and the amount of work we do is the most crazy thing I've done, and all this in Santa Cruz County, when my rent raises at a much higher rate than my pay, my wages won't cover all of my rent and utilities, so I'm left with eating the left overs from the Wednesday morning meetings for the week.

The funny thing is the back office is what makes this entire place run. I'm talking Tech Support, Loan Servicing, Loss Mit, Cards, MSC, Deposit Ops, Accounting, Funders, ALL OF US--If we all united and walked out, they would have nothing and could run nothing. Yet its those tellers, with no education who start at 12 an hour and get a dollar raise each certification they pass and a 2% raise each year, and the FSR's who start at $17 an hour + commission + 2% each year who make the money, And its us, back office get zero raises outside of our annual 2%-- Its us, -- the back office who are over worked, and severely underpaid, who have more education than the entire front staff's pinky fingers combined who get to starve, while we slave away with little room for growth and keep on working the good fight thinking maybe someday if we pass out and an ambulance is called because we literally starve, MAYBE somebody will get the message.

Hey management, its time to actually pay us what we are worth. I can tell you, the reason we stay, is because we believe in the story you've told us. But soon enough you will be left with nobody to actually run the place. I mean come on-- we are doing, what, 6 mil in consumer loans and about 3 mil in mortgage?? I think you could very easily give the 100 back office employees a $5 raise and finally allow them to come to work and not worry about the lights getting turned off, the gas in the car, or even if they can pay their rent. We all talk, we all are literally starving and if you read this, I guarantee that the entire Back Office Locations are literally cheering right now for this review-- even though nobody will have the courage to say it-- Because saying anything negative about Bay Federal is like talking bad about someone's mom. You just DON'T DO IT.

And the only reason I'm giving the thumbs down on the CEO is because ultimately she is the one who has allowed this to happen. Please, stop the hunger pains. Please evaluate each one of our pay, and please, put us on the pay scale of the FSRs or the MSRs. Isn't that worth it to go to bed knowing that your employees aren't starving or worry about eviction or wondering how they can scam a free snack from the break room, or praying its someone's birthday because then Management will buy them a cake???

Bay Federal Credit Union Response

Oct 30, 2014Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide thoughts regarding our culture and work environment. We agree that employees are the best part of a great work place. We hear your concerns and appreciate ... More

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Bay Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Bay Federal cares about the community and it's members. They preach member relationships and making a difference in the lives of our member.

Cons

The pay is on the low end and advancement is difficult if you don't have someone who is giving you a push. Hard work doesn't always get recognized but upper management.

Invest in living what you preach, such as TACT. I hear it spoken but do not believe management lives it in all situations.
    Evaluate pay scale and create clear paths for advancement at all levels

Bay Federal Credit Union Response

Sep 8, 2014Sr. HR Generalist

We appreciate feedback and invite employees to connect with their manager or a senior manager about concerns. We do annual compensation management and adjustments based on both industry and our ... More

Family oriented, except for adequate compensation; poor work-environment, catty & gossipy co-workers. Lack of management

I worked at Bay Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Understanding and flexible in terms of taking time off, they are not big on micro-managing (depending on your manager).

Cons

They are extremely slow and do not replace employees who retire or are laid off. Instead, they assign the departed employee's duties to another current employee while refusing to increase pay or compensate for the increase in workload or taking on duties of higher-up employees. Workplace is terrible - employees spend 60% of their workday gossiping, being catty to other co-workers, and creating tiffs out of nowhere. Management will give poor and incorrect reviews due to not understanding your position or job duties, and without actually discussing your performance beforehand. A quick 10 minute conversation would have turned a poor review into a glowing review.

Stop

Bay Federal Credit Union has been great to me! In my 5+ years at Bay Federal I have learned so much!

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Bay Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

What I like most about working at Bay Federal is how the company has helped me grow as a banker. In my 5+ years at BFCU I have gone from a teller to a loan officer. I see myself growing and moving up in the company even more in the years to come. I am very grateful for the opportunities BFCU has given me.

Cons

I do want to see BFCU give there employees more training. The new employess need to be trained on the products and services that BFCU has to offer, the more that the employees know about the products and serivces the more referrals they will bring in.

Great caring and local company to work for!

I have been working at Bay Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At Bay Federal Credit Union you get to work for a company with a heart. It's a group of kind and smart people who care about their employees, members and community.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Keep doing what you're doing - instilling a culture based on the values of Professional • Appreciative • Care & Compassion • Integrity • Fun & Friendly • Innovative • Community.

Overall a good place to work with good people to work with.

Former Employee - New Account Specialist in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - New Account Specialist in Capitola, CA

I worked at Bay Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Clear advancement paths. Fun and positive company culture. Good benefits and time off.

Cons

Slow reactions from senior management team.

A very friendly and fun company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Capitola, CA

I worked at Bay Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Extremely friendly staff. The management staff is competent and helpful. All of the facilities are fairly up to date.

Cons

With the resent economic downturn there was a large scale lay off and subsequent salary freeze. While things are getting better it seems the culture has suffered a bit.

Refocus on bringing the culture back. Focusing on sales is perfectly fine.

Rewarding place to work

Former Employee - Upper Management in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Upper Management in Capitola, CA

I worked at Bay Federal Credit Union

Pros

You get to volunteer in the community frequently. Good opportunity to move up the organization. The culture is a family friendly environment.

Cons

The VP management team have worked there for a long time and they are not planning on leaving anytime soon. Some of upper management is insecure and therefore they have difficulty listening to new ideas if they didn't think of the ideas themselves.

Recognize talent in the organization and create opportunities to keep them in the company. Keep an open mind, read current economic trends and listen to what is important to the front line staff.

It's nice to work there

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bay Federal Credit Union

Pros

nice working environment with frindly ppl around

Cons

there is no room to get promote

Bay Federal Credit Union Photos