Bay Medical Center

Updated May 18, 2014
Updated May 18, 2014

2.3

Steve Johnson

People Not Very Interested In Helping Others (Co-Workers)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Panama City, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Panama City, FL

Pros

Few. Pay is now comparable to other locations in Florida. Some individuals are helpful but others there do not like the ones that are helpful being so...

Cons

Working at BMC was very different than almost all of the other handful of hospitals I have had a chance to work with. People are super-critical, only have time for themselves and are not welcoming to new employees all-around. I think it stemmed from the take-over of the new management/owners and the feeling that they could be replaced by others.

Management needs to hire more people (and higher nicer people), and they need to engender a sense of community within the people. It's hard work and everyone should be considered an equal part of the team, not just RNs or surgeons. Other employees are treated as sub-par by management. Working at any other center in the city is better and feels more rewarding.

Very disappointing employer

Current Employee - Collector  in  Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Collector in Panama City, FL

Pros

Great people and wonderful facility

Cons

Poor communicators. Lack of trust and vision. Vendors rule in operational decisions.

Have a backbone and keep your word. Be honest instead of hiding the truth about financials. Say the same things to both leadership and employees.

Up and down never consistent, Stagnation,

Current Employee - Patient Care Tech  in  Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Patient Care Tech in Panama City, FL

Pros

Decent insurance benefits, Meal discount, Paid time off for full time employees. Gym discounts across town.

Cons

Currently very poor staffing conditions. I am unable to properly care for patients when I am over so many. When I am unable to take the time with them that I would like to I feel as if I am failing them and this makes work difficult. The people on my shift/days are an outstanding team we work very well together but do not have the staff to go around. This is very dangerous for our patients/customers. people who need to be feed don't, those who are soiled stay soiled longer, those that become acutely ill don't get help in the time they should. etc.. etc.. No raises with out additional education ie college degrees. at least that is what I have been told. Random promised bonuses for coming in when not scheduled that you later have to fight for to get.

Please please please start investing in your current employees then just maybe you will be able to retain people. You have great employees I particularly mean the hourly ones not supervisors etc... I don't interact with them often. Help them flourish provided better trainings not just a new ceu system. Bring back tuition reimbursement. I started at BMC as tech with no experience thus putting me at the bottom of the pay scale the one saving grace was hey I got $3000 + per year in reimbursement for school when I need it most. I have worked here for nearly 4 years and plan on working at least several more until my education exceeds what I believe you currently have to offer me and it will. I have gotten one small raise since working there only due to LHP investments while graciously accepted I have actually taken a very large pay cut yet due to the demise of college reimbursement. Through thick I thin I come to work with every intention of holding true the the values of the company "ACTIOR", "TALLER" and my own personal values yet I feel very undervalued when I leave, I feel stagnated there is no chance for improvement or growth what If I wanted to stay a tech and retire doing so what possible incentive do I have working here other than the satisfaction I receive from helping others that I don't always get due to constraints beyond my own control. I am ready to expand my horizons and flourish in health care how are you helping people like me. I want to learn and grow with you as do many others help us help YOU! I will soon graduate with my first degree of several planned degrees I have been attempting to make contacts in the field I wish to pursue to no avail. Start cultivating your talent for the success of this community, employees, and most importantly the customers ie the patients that we are here for.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Case manager

Former Employee - Case Management  in  P C Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Case Management in P C Beach, FL

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Don't want to go there

Appreciate the good workers

One who sold out to LHP

Current Employee - Admitting  in  Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Admitting in Panama City, FL

Pros

New $ and systems. Great quality nursing care. Employees who really care.

Cons

Administration is less than truthful. RIF is another name for getting rid of those not willing to become a slave to mindless working. Salaries frozen for everyone except Admin. Unable to staff properly to provide great care or operations. LHP dictates all. The is no real communication, just servitude. Benefits are less than average.

Listen instead of dictate. LHP is not listening to anyone. We should not manager by fear and intimiydation.

great experience until new CEO (Keel)

Pros

great staff. very caring. always trying to take the best care of patients possible

Cons

new CEO is a not a good fit culturally. says one thing then does another

look for more changes and watch out for CEO

Generally ok place to work.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Panama City, FL

Pros

Good benefits for the area

Cons

Working holidays, weekends, short lunch break, short staff, poor management

Listen to your employees. Reward the ones that work hard.

Disappointing, frustrating, looking for new job as most employees are

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Panama City, FL

Pros

If you're in the right department with the right group of people, you may actually enjoy working here. If your manager is educated, knowledgeable, and a real leader, it can be a good experience.

Cons

Most departments are managed by people who don't know what they're doing. They don't know how to handle personnel. They certainly don't know how to lead, which is an order of magnitude more difficult than simply managing. The higher level "leadership" is out of touch with what is really happening at the hospital and manage from behind a desk, in meetings, and looking at pieces of paper instead of getting out into the field. Pay is horrendous. Almost every employee I talked to over the years is looking for a new job. Management doesn't know how to fix problems or even identify them. But, they all know how to have useless meetings.

Fire yourselves. Seriously. You are the reason why the hospital is floundering. And stop hiring managers who look good on paper but couldn't manage a good case of hemorrhoids. Stop hiring outside consultants. Trust the people who work in the departments. Talk to the employees who have been doing the job for 15 years, not some consultant idiot with a bunch of initials after his/her name who has never been to the hospital. Learn the difference between someone who looks good on paper and someone who has been there and done that. Stop creating mid-level management positions with bureaucrats who walk around with clipboards all day and have meetings. Hire from within for department management positions. Hire people for management who have been there for 15+ years.

It has been an OK experience

Current Employee - Nurse  in  Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Nurse in Panama City, FL

Pros

It's a large hospital with a lot of different jobs within the same company, so if you don't like a particular job then you can find another

Cons

The upper management doesn't always listen to the staff about simple problems or solutions to some of the everday common problems

Take the time out and visit with the staff to see what really is going on out on the floors and listen to some possible solutions

Bmc

Pros

BMC has a beautiful new building for patients.

Cons

Unfortunately, there is no accountability and middle management as well as administration needs to be replaced.

Get new management

Worked for Bay Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!