Bay Medical Center

Updated May 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Johnson

People Not Very Interested In Helping Others (Co-Workers)

Panama City, FL

ProsFew. Pay is now comparable to other locations in Florida. Some individuals are helpful but others there do not like the ones that are helpful being so...

ConsWorking at BMC was very different than almost all of the other handful of hospitals I have had a chance to work with. People are super-critical, only have time for themselves and are not welcoming to new employees all-around. I think it stemmed from the take-over of the new management/owners and the feeling that they could be replaced by others.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to hire more people (and higher nicer people), and they need to engender a sense of community within the people. It's hard work and everyone should be considered an equal part of the team, not just RNs or surgeons. Other employees are treated as sub-par by management. Working at any other center in the city is better and feels more rewarding.

Very disappointing employer

Collector (Current Employee)
    Panama City, FL

ProsGreat people and wonderful facility

ConsPoor communicators. Lack of trust and vision. Vendors rule in operational decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a backbone and keep your word. Be honest instead of hiding the truth about financials. Say the same things to both leadership and employees.

Up and down never consistent, Stagnation,

Patient Care Tech (Current Employee)
    Panama City, FL

ProsDecent insurance benefits, Meal discount, Paid time off for full time employees. Gym discounts across town.

ConsCurrently very poor staffing conditions. I am unable to properly care for patients when I am over so many. When I am unable to take the time with them that I would like to I feel as if I am failing them and this makes work difficult. The people on my shift/days are an outstanding team we work very well together but do not have the staff to go around. This is very dangerous for our patients/customers. people who need to be feed don't, those who are soiled stay soiled longer, those that become acutely ill don't get help in the time they should. etc.. etc.. No raises with out additional education ie college degrees. at least that is what I have been told. Random promised bonuses for coming in when not scheduled that you later have to fight for to get.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease please please start investing in your current employees then just maybe you will be able to retain people. You have great employees I particularly mean the hourly ones not supervisors etc... I don't interact with them often. Help them flourish provided better trainings not just a new ceu system. Bring back tuition reimbursement. I started at BMC as tech with no experience thus putting me at the bottom of the pay scale the one saving grace was hey I got $3000 + per year in reimbursement for school when I need it most. I have worked here for nearly 4 years and plan on working at least several more until my education exceeds what I believe you currently have to offer me and it will. I have gotten one small raise since working there only due to LHP investments while graciously accepted I have actually taken a very large pay cut yet due to the demise of college reimbursement. Through thick I thin I come to work with every intention of holding true the the values of the company "ACTIOR", "TALLER" and my own personal values yet I feel very undervalued when I leave, I feel stagnated there is no chance for improvement or growth what If I wanted to stay a tech and retire doing so what possible incentive do I have working here other than the satisfaction I receive from helping others that I don't always get due to constraints beyond my own control. I am ready to expand my horizons and flourish in health care how are you helping people like me. I want to learn and grow with you as do many others help us help YOU! I will soon graduate with my first degree of several planned degrees I have been attempting to make contacts in the field I wish to pursue to no avail. Start cultivating your talent for the success of this community, employees, and most importantly the customers ie the patients that we are here for.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Case manager

Case Management (Former Employee)
    P C Beach, FL

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsDon't want to go there

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the good workers

One who sold out to LHP

Admitting (Current Employee)
    Panama City, FL

ProsNew $ and systems. Great quality nursing care. Employees who really care.

ConsAdministration is less than truthful. RIF is another name for getting rid of those not willing to become a slave to mindless working. Salaries frozen for everyone except Admin. Unable to staff properly to provide great care or operations. LHP dictates all. The is no real communication, just servitude. Benefits are less than average.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen instead of dictate. LHP is not listening to anyone. We should not manager by fear and intimiydation.

great experience until new CEO (Keel)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat staff. very caring. always trying to take the best care of patients possible

Consnew CEO is a not a good fit culturally. says one thing then does another

Advice to Senior Managementlook for more changes and watch out for CEO

Generally ok place to work.

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
    Panama City, FL

ProsGood benefits for the area

ConsWorking holidays, weekends, short lunch break, short staff, poor management

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Reward the ones that work hard.

Disappointing, frustrating, looking for new job as most employees are

Panama City, FL

ProsIf you're in the right department with the right group of people, you may actually enjoy working here. If your manager is educated, knowledgeable, and a real leader, it can be a good experience.

ConsMost departments are managed by people who don't know what they're doing. They don't know how to handle personnel. They certainly don't know how to lead, which is an order of magnitude more difficult than simply managing. The higher level "leadership" is out of touch with what is really happening at the hospital and manage from behind a desk, in meetings, and looking at pieces of paper instead of getting out into the field. Pay is horrendous. Almost every employee I talked to over the years is looking for a new job. Management doesn't know how to fix problems or even identify them. But, they all know how to have useless meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves. Seriously. You are the reason why the hospital is floundering. And stop hiring managers who look good on paper but couldn't manage a good case of hemorrhoids. Stop hiring outside consultants. Trust the people who work in the departments. Talk to the employees who have been doing the job for 15 years, not some consultant idiot with a bunch of initials after his/her name who has never been to the hospital. Learn the difference between someone who looks good on paper and someone who has been there and done that. Stop creating mid-level management positions with bureaucrats who walk around with clipboards all day and have meetings. Hire from within for department management positions. Hire people for management who have been there for 15+ years.

It has been an OK experience

Nurse (Current Employee)
    Panama City, FL

ProsIt's a large hospital with a lot of different jobs within the same company, so if you don't like a particular job then you can find another

ConsThe upper management doesn't always listen to the staff about simple problems or solutions to some of the everday common problems

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time out and visit with the staff to see what really is going on out on the floors and listen to some possible solutions

Bmc

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBMC has a beautiful new building for patients.

ConsUnfortunately, there is no accountability and middle management as well as administration needs to be replaced.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management

Worked for Bay Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bay Medical Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bay Medical Center CEO Steve Johnson. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Bay Medical Center employees.