Bay Medical Center

Updated November 4, 2014
Updated November 4, 2014
2.0

Barry Keel

People Not Very Interested In Helping Others (Co-Workers)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Panama City, FL

I worked at Bay Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Few. Pay is now comparable to other locations in Florida. Some individuals are helpful but others there do not like the ones that are helpful being so...

Cons

Working at BMC was very different than almost all of the other handful of hospitals I have had a chance to work with. People are super-critical, only have time for themselves and are not welcoming to new employees all-around. I think it stemmed from the take-over of the new management/owners and the feeling that they could be replaced by others.

Management needs to hire more people (and higher nicer people), and they need to engender a sense of community within the people. It's hard work and everyone should be considered an equal part of the team, not just RNs or surgeons. Other employees are treated as sub-par by management. Working at any other center in the city is better and feels more rewarding.

Poor quality and poor communicators

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Panama City, FL

I worked at Bay Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competition for Gulf Coast (HCA) and a needed resource for the county. Great people in the ranks.

Cons

Sold To LHP and did not live up to promises. Lack real honesty and ethics from the Top, down. Vendors are greedy and don't show good faith in their reporting. A fake reason to sell out the tenured employees to a vendor! Promotions are for those who narc on others, and bow down to Administration and the inept leadership. A real lack of trust and honesty from Administration -- it shows in the employee surveys and in the bottom line. Watch out: Gulf Coast will eat your market share and take your patients -- due to your treatment of employees and the way you manage!

Ethics need to be lived, not just talked about. Be honest, not chase your own agendas. You sold the hospital out to LHP on the backs of the dedicated employees that worked there. Shame on you for your dishonesty!

There's better opportunity for nurses

Former Employee - Charge Nurse II in Panama City, FL
    Former Employee - Charge Nurse II in Panama City, FL

I worked at Bay Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you enjoy patient care (or patient catering), well they do that

Cons

Everything is bad. They only care about the bottom line. This place never has any staff, never does anything to retain staff, benefits are subpar, you will never get a raise even with spotless performance reviews because they're going broke paying top dollar to get docs to practice there (which those docs will not only accept payment from the hospital but also bill patients and then claim that they're not employees). I worked here for 10 years including very few weeks without overtime, came in on my day off, stayed late to help, had great performance reviews and only got 2 raises in 10 years! I love being a nurse but I've got to make a living.

Find another job. When you don't listen to the patient care teams and you don't take care of your staff the patients suffer too.

Interesting, challenging work -- very stressful environment

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Bay Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great teamwork, great coworkers. Love my work, coworkers, and patient population.

Cons

Managed very poorly. Unexperienced managers with no training. Fiscally, incompetently run. Communication very poor.

Communicate with your employees. An evaluation left in your mailbox for you to sign that includes no possibility of a raise within the eval ... for any employee ... is no way to inspire retention!

Dismal workplace.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Panama City, FL

I worked at Bay Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, OK benefits, onsite dining facility, health club discount. You can easily apply to move between certain jobs and departments to learn new skills, if you qualify.

Cons

Demoralized work environment, frequent unfair dismissals of stellar staff members, understaffed in crucial medical personnel. You can go to your job of several years in the morning, be called to a meeting at noon and go home unemployed. Also, it was hard seeing dedicated nurses and CNAs crying because they were so exhausted by long hours, frustrated and feeling so guilty because there's not enough help to properly care for their patients. People are suffering there, both patients and healthcare workers. LHP and CEO Barry Keel appear not to care about anything but the financial bottom line. It's truly a waste of a talented and compassionate staff and a fine state-of-the-art medical facility. Worse, it's a grave disservice to the people of Bay County who put their trust and their lives in the hands of these uncaring bureaucrats.

Hire and promote from within your current workforce. Don't fire experienced professionals to save a dollar just to bring in young clueless workers at a lower rate of pay and benefits. Be willing to pay for enough staff to do what needs to be done. Stop putting the patients' care in jeopardy by expecting one person to do the work of three. Don't spend $100,000 to bring in consultants when you can use the invaluable resource you have right there in the staff with decades of experience, who have put in their time and actually care what happens to their patients.

Very disappointing employer

Current Employee - Collector in Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Collector in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Bay Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people and wonderful facility

Cons

Poor communicators. Lack of trust and vision. Vendors rule in operational decisions.

Have a backbone and keep your word. Be honest instead of hiding the truth about financials. Say the same things to both leadership and employees.

Up and down never consistent, Stagnation,

Current Employee - Patient Care Tech in Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Patient Care Tech in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Bay Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent insurance benefits, Meal discount, Paid time off for full time employees. Gym discounts across town.

Cons

Currently very poor staffing conditions. I am unable to properly care for patients when I am over so many. When I am unable to take the time with them that I would like to I feel as if I am failing them and this makes work difficult. The people on my shift/days are an outstanding team we work very well together but do not have the staff to go around. This is very dangerous for our patients/customers. people who need to be feed don't, those who are soiled stay soiled longer, those that become acutely ill don't get help in the time they should. etc.. etc.. No raises with out additional education ie college degrees. at least that is what I have been told. Random promised bonuses for coming in when not scheduled that you later have to fight for to get.

Please please please start investing in your current employees then just maybe you will be able to retain people. You have great employees I particularly mean the hourly ones not supervisors etc... I don't interact with them often. Help them flourish provided better trainings not just a new ceu system. Bring back tuition reimbursement. I started at BMC as tech with no experience thus putting me at the bottom of the pay scale the one saving grace was hey I got $3000 + per year in reimbursement for school when I need it most. I have worked here for nearly 4 years and plan on working at least several more until my education exceeds what I believe you currently have to offer me and it will. I have gotten one small raise since working there only due to LHP investments while graciously accepted I have actually taken a very large pay cut yet due to the demise of college reimbursement. Through thick I thin I come to work with every intention of holding true the the values of the company "ACTIOR", "TALLER" and my own personal values yet I feel very undervalued when I leave, I feel stagnated there is no chance for improvement or growth what If I wanted to stay a tech and retire doing so what possible incentive do I have working here other than the satisfaction I receive from helping others that I don't always get due to constraints beyond my own control. I am ready to expand my horizons and flourish in health care how are you helping people like me. I want to learn and grow with you as do many others help us help YOU! I will soon graduate with my first degree of several planned degrees I have been attempting to make contacts in the field I wish to pursue to no avail. Start cultivating your talent for the success of this community, employees, and most importantly the customers ie the patients that we are here for.

Case manager

Former Employee - Case Management in P C Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Case Management in P C Beach, FL

I worked at Bay Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Don't want to go there

Appreciate the good workers

One who sold out to LHP

Current Employee - Admitting in Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Admitting in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Bay Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New $ and systems. Great quality nursing care. Employees who really care.

Cons

Administration is less than truthful. RIF is another name for getting rid of those not willing to become a slave to mindless working. Salaries frozen for everyone except Admin. Unable to staff properly to provide great care or operations. LHP dictates all. The is no real communication, just servitude. Benefits are less than average.

Listen instead of dictate. LHP is not listening to anyone. We should not manager by fear and intimiydation.

great experience until new CEO (Keel)

I worked at Bay Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great staff. very caring. always trying to take the best care of patients possible

Cons

new CEO is a not a good fit culturally. says one thing then does another

look for more changes and watch out for CEO